Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Again

You can keep both cat and get a top 4

Why do you please keep thinking otherwise
Sure you "can" but that doesn't change the fact that paying another winger 8-9M is going to kill this teams cap flexibility while also making the remainder of the lineup weaker when there are far more glaring concerns then what is currently our 2nd line Left Winger. This is very easy to see.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Okay like whom.

Yeah I know they’re important. But what are you looking for a top pairing young guy? This don’t get traded. We don’t need some young stud. We need a good second pairing guy lol… debrincats don’t get traded for good second pairing guys.

Seems to you want a pretty special player. Already top 4 d man young a cost controlled that would garner a debrincat like return….I mean…. Yes would be great to have 4 juggernauts on the backend but unlikely and also not needed.
Think a Zub type player with multiple years on his contract is the type of player I'm thinking of to go along with a plus of some sort. Sure Zub is a top-pairing guy on this team but I imagine most teams would consider him a 2nd pairing guy. I would trade Cat in a second for a guy like that as not only does it fix our biggest weakness but it also means we won't be losing all of our cap flexibility on a winger who doesn't push the play like a few of our other forwards have this season.

I didn't mention anything about a top-pairing guy. And you're the one who mentioned Clarke (a young stud) so I'm not sure why you're alluding to those things.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

camZ

Jan 28, 2021
I’d rather Norris not play another game then risk boeser staying healthy and not losing speed every day. He is injured 24/7 as well

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Sens are adding?!? Boeser is not a good player. Invisible even when scoring.

Kane is a ufa are you serious?!?!?! What is going on around here. The sens core is all 25 and under except giroux and they're sitting 13th in the conference. Stop this nonsense. Have some patience.

Agree on Boeser. I think that back injury in his rookie season changed his career trajectory unfortunately.

On Kane though - you have to give to get. I doubt our 1st alone gets a deal moving and with DeBrincat needing a new contract I would without question offer up Batherson.

Huge gamble, but if you could get Kane to sign a 1 or 2 year extension at a 5/6 aav to incentivize DeBrincat to re-sign, it’s worth it.

Of course Chicago has its uh, past history and Drake is uh, well... So nothing could happen until the investigation process is concluded.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Think a Zub type player with multiple years on his contract is the type of player I'm thinking of to go along with a plus of some sort. Sure Zub is a top-pairing guy on this team but I imagine most teams would consider him a 2nd pairing guy. I would trade Cat in a second for a guy like that as not only does it fix our biggest weakness but it also means we won't be losing all of our cap flexibility on a winger who doesn't push the play like a few of our other forwards have this season.

I didn't mention anything about a top-pairing guy. And you're the one who mentioned Clarke (a young stud) so I'm not sure why you're alluding to those things.
Because those are the things I would move debrincat for? So if we meet in the middle…it’s a second pairing guy with years on the contract. And again. I wouldn’t move debrincat for that. Other teams get good second pairing guys and give up much less.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agree on Boeser. I think that back injury in his rookie season changed his career trajectory unfortunately.

On Kane though - you have to give to get. I doubt our 1st alone gets a deal moving and with DeBrincat needing a new contract I would without question offer up Batherson.

Huge gamble, but if you could get Kane to sign a 1 or 2 year extension at a 5/6 aav to incentivize DeBrincat to re-sign, it’s worth it.

Of course Chicago has its uh, past history and Drake is uh, well... So nothing could happen until the investigation process is concluded.
The sens are 13th in the east. You're not trading Batherson for a UFA to be who will cost double what he makes who is a decade older.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I wouldn’t trade Norris for Boeser 1 for 1, let alone +.

It would have to be a pretty significant plus from Vancouver’s side to get me interested.
Yo who the f*** is offering norris for boeser. Actually. Don’t tell me. I won’t even go looking

Reactions: Bileur

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Because those are the things I would move debrincat for? So if we meet in the middle…it’s a second pairing guy with years on the contract. And again. I wouldn’t move debrincat for that. Other teams get good second pairing guys and give up much less.
Okay so we'll agree to disagree then because I would deal DeBrincat for that with little hesitation given the team and future cap circumstances. If this was a team with a plethora of dmen and limited forward options I would be on a different boat but that obviously isn't the case with the current makeup of the Sens squad.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Sens are adding?!? Boeser is not a good player. Invisible even when scoring.

Kane is a ufa are you serious?!?!?! What is going on around here. The sens core is all 25 and under except giroux and they're sitting 13th in the conference. Stop this nonsense. Have some patience.
I have been wondering that myself. People are really flailing around in here lately - desperation trades, etc. Something has gotten into the water maybe.

Reactions: bert

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Wth? Norris is everything Boeser wishes he was.

Norris can score just as well, but then: 1) he's fast while Boeser can't skate, 2) He's a GOOD, defensively responsible center (underrated part of his game) while Boser can't spell the color of his own blueline, 3) He's not afraid of physical contact while Boeser relents it, and so on.

Just an appalling idea.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Are you trying to be clever here?
Not all. You give me too much credit. I was trying to think up another trade that was rolling around in my noggin. It is all just for fun. Never mind.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Sure you "can" but that doesn't change the fact that paying another winger 8-9M is going to kill this teams cap flexibility while also making the remainder of the lineup weaker when there are far more glaring concerns then what is currently our 2nd line Left Winger. This is very easy to see.
It does not kill anything

If that was the deal then they wouldn’t have got cat and spent a high pick on him

We have cap space abs with the cap going up you can fit in another top 4 easily

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would go to Nashville. Tanner Jeannot, Jack Matier and an unprotected 1rst and a 2nd for Debrincat if he doean't want to resign. Don't know if that works cap wise for them. Use that as a starting point.

You're giving us a First to take one of those players? Ok.
I think a Kleven - Matier future 3rd pairing is exactly what this team would need, however, it doesn't help the team right now & who knows when those two would be NHL ready.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
The sens are 13th in the east. You're not trading Batherson for a UFA to be who will cost double what he makes who is a decade older.

Well I’m the Patrick Kane guy so there’s that, haha. I might be a little biased.

In my mind/roster view the Sens are trading Batherson and his 4 year’s remaining (I don’t believe he re-signs when his deal expires) for Patrick Kane on a bit of a discount (because he wants to be here with Cat) for a late season run and 2 more seasons.

I have been wondering that myself. People are really flailing around in here lately - desperation trades, etc. Something has gotten into the water maybe.

In the last month(ish); The media reports of Grier taking calls on Karlsson from Dorion, Myers in Vancouver rejecting a trade to Ottawa reportedly (maybe), officially losing Formenton for the season, Zub’s injuries, chatter on twitter DeBrincat’s camp hasn’t seriously engaged with talks with the Sens, the playing good but losing which lead to noise around D.J.

It’s been a lot.

Reactions: bert

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
meh pierre, team need RHD, zub is out, just do something easy, ( move second or third round pick ). just do

bear is not special but, cost was 5 round pick.. just bring someone who is RHD

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not all. You give me too much credit. I was trying to think up another trade that was rolling around in my noggin. It is all just for fun. Never mind.
Oh I thought it was sarcastic which would have been warranted when i read my post haha. All good.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa

If that was the deal then they wouldn’t have got cat and spent a high pick on him

Putting 9M towards our 2nd line Left Winger (as he's shown this season) on a team that is very quickly pushing towards the cap with large raises coming to Zub, Sanderson, Pinto, etc. does kill the financial flexibility of this team.

In addition to these raises, we need to find a top-4 dman, potentially deal with the Formenton contract if new news ever gets released, and make additional acquisitons to acquire adequate players to fill-out our defence and our forward core.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Putting 9M towards our 2nd line Left Winger (as he's shown this season) on a team that is very quickly pushing towards the cap with large raises coming to Zub, Sanderson, Pinto, etc. does kill the financial flexibility of this team.

In addition to these raises, we need to find a top-4 dman, potentially deal with the Formenton contract if new news ever gets released, and make additional acquisitons to acquire adequate players to fill-out our defence and our forward core.
According to some we have plenty of money for all of that lol

Reactions: Pinto Bean

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I'm not sure how many people really spend much time thinking about the cap and the future. By future, I mean a couple of years out.

The per usual response when the cap subject comes up is "this player or that player's cap will be gone, we'll have plenty", or "the cap is going up".

But, there's 22 players on a roster & possibly retention & buyouts, so a quick back of a napkin, or observations about 1 or 2 players approach really doesn't cut it, and is definitely insufficient. That was in the "Could Karlsson Come Back to Ottawa" thread on Thursday. ***

*** I put a model together for the 2024-25, 22 player roster with salaries and we were at about $88 m. That was with Karlsson 25% retained, Debrincat subtracted, and Zub or a TBD replacement at $5 m. Debrincat was replaced with a $5 m winger btw.

We can't predict the cap with accuracy in 2024-25, but what should have stood out was the long list of "Assumptions" that I included as they were significant. If even if 1 or 2 of those did not turn out in the most optimistic fashion, I believe we would be $90 m or more in total cap in 2024-25 pretty easily.

So, the Senators will definitely need to watch the cap closely and need to consider carefully the moves that are made next season because there's some big signings like Sanderson that need to get done in 2024-25, and several next year as well, and because of course, for all of the per usual reasons. I've asked posters to put an entire roster (22-player with buyout/retention) together, but that is very rarely done. Oddly, they'd rather spend time typing and arguing which actually takes more time versus generating something more useful. So, I doubt this will change and we'll continue to get the minimum level participation and accuracy with regards to this subject. It is what it is I guess.

Last edited:

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021

Can you put a complete 22-player roster together with salaries and buy-outs for 2024-25? Maybe we can get a better idea then.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021

The reason that you don't see many wingers moved for a top-4 RD is that GMs are loathe to move a good RD as they are so hard to get. Some are hyper focused on a small number of trades that were made during the flat-cap, COVID period. Not sure that is a trend. Maybe the Nylander for Pesce trade that Carolina didn't do is a better example?

If Zub departs, the new GM will have his hands full landing 2 RDs, or even 1. Unless they are going the free agency route, the new GM will need some good trade bait. Hopefully with new owners with deeper pockets we'll be a bigger player in the free agency market place. Got to hope.

Reactions: Pinto Bean
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad