Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
The entire league knows Hughes wants first rounders in any trade. He told EVERYONE. YET the Sens still sent scouts to hab games. So dont tell me their is NO INTEREST.
Our 1st for Dadonov!
There!
You happy?
GTFO now!

• Haha
Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I know that
I think best value is probably TDL
My point is were not getting a young 1RD for Cat
Teams know if were talking to them about Cat hes probably not re-signing so they see us coming hence the meh return
Top 4 RD would be sufficient.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Debrincat + Paul + Brown

or
Ottawa 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and Joseph

which one now

I don't mind the paul deal but we could easily have brown abd debrincat here
So no Giroux ?

We can add Marino

the team did not want his contract length according to Bruce is very well connected. Lets not change the narrative

If they are realllly worried about Zatisev then toss two 2nd rounders and give him to someone. I don't think that is a big issue to solve

I think we need to get past the narrative that is forming that it was either Debrincat or a top 4 forward. That is not what the math shows nor what the team lead us to believe
Bruce isn’t really that well connected, his primary source died last March.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Y'all realize DeBrincat plays the lowest value position in the league, has contract uncertainty, is under-sized and hasn't been scoring goals this season at his historic pace. Creating proposals with him for a defensemen (RD) that is arguably the highest value position in the league is simply not going to look fair on paper.

If the Sens can pull off a Hall v Larsson type deal that'd be great. A solid top-4 dman who is young, has security, and helps our biggest weakness.
I think some are expecting a Karlsson type trade. Might end up being more like a Spezza or Stone type trade. We'll see what happens & hopefully people won't be too disappointed.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I think some are expecting a Karlsson type trade. Might end up being more like a Spezza or Stone type trade. We'll see what happens & hopefully people won't be too disappointed.
Put your tin foil hat on for this one! If Batherson had the same contract status as Formenton...would the team have signed him? I don't think DBC is the one who gets traded...

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa

People value their own pieces way too much. This board does it and pretty much every other fanbase does it too. And they'll proceed to justify their valuation by pulling up a fleecing of a deal that happened within the last 5 years.

The common one currently is mentioning how John Marino or Devon Toews got traded for secondary pieces as a justification to say that we can also acquire a top-4 dman for cheap. What these posters choose to ignore is that these deals in hindsight were absolute fleecings, they were heavily circumstantial due to cap, and the defensemen acquired improved even more then what they were with their previous team.

So sure, can it happen? I suppose as it's happened in the past but comparing it to circumstantial events that turned out to be fleecings isn't a great argument and is more so wishful thinking.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People value their own pieces way too much. This board does it and pretty much every other fanbase does it too. And they'll proceed to justify their valuation by pulling up a fleecing of a deal that happened within the last 5 years.

The common one currently is mentioning how John Marino or Devon Toews got traded for secondary pieces as a justification to say that we can also acquire a top-4 dman for cheap. What these posters choose to ignore is that these deals in hindsight were absolute fleecings, they were heavily circumstantial due to cap, and the defensemen acquired improved even more then what they were with their previous team.

So sure, can it happen? I suppose as it's happened in the past but comparing it to circumstantial events that turned out to be fleecings isn't a great argument and is more so wishful thinking.
No. When the trades were made most people were like “that’s A fleecing”. Nothing about hindsight lol.

Also there’s a lot of grey area in between fleecing teams for a top d man and giving up essentially nothing and “debrincat for a reliable top 4 d”.

This is an incredibly loose statement.
Okay well then surely there’s a ton of room to poke holes in it. How often do teams give up near ppg wingers for top 4 d men. Now remember. We have our top 3 d men. So we’re look for our number 4. So near ppg wingers. For a 4. A reliable guy to steady the second pair

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
“We’re going to get a spezza like return for debrincat”is the new “daccord is going to sign with the leafs out of college and be a star for years to come”.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
DeBrincat being an RFA and not a UFA should lead to a higher return than one would expect looking at our previous disastrous returns for star forwards dealt at the trade deadline.

A team could rent him for the playoffs, try to re-sign him, and should they fail they should have no problem dealing him in the off-season to a team that can re-sign him long-term for a 1st + more.

At absolute bare minimum he should return a 1st, good young player and a quality prospect.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
The entire league knows Hughes wants first rounders in any trade. He told EVERYONE. YET the Sens still sent scouts to hab games. So dont tell me their is NO INTEREST

So cute. Is this your first time doing hockey?

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
No. When the trades were made most people were like “that’s A fleecing”. Nothing about hindsight lol.

Also there’s a lot of grey area in between fleecing teams for a top d man and giving up essentially nothing and “debrincat for a reliable top 4 d”.

Okay well then surely there’s a ton of room to poke holes in it. How often do teams give up near ppg wingers for top 4 d men. Now remember. We have our top 3 d men. So we’re look for our number 4. So near ppg wingers. For a 4. A reliable guy to steady the second pair
The trades were called a fleecing when they happened and they became even more of a fleecing once both Toews and Marino performed better then what they were prior to the trade. This is exactly what I'm trying to say. People wanting a future trade to happen by comparing it to a former fleecing is wishful thinking.

It's a loose statement because you chose to ignore the fact that I alluded to trading DeBrincat for a solid top-4 dman who was young, cost-controlled, and helps our biggest weakness.

With you simply writing - "trading a near ppg winger for a solid top-4" changes the statement completely as that can imply some old, expiring 4th dman who is just hanging on where as my statement implied a return that was far more beneficial.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
In hindsight we might have been better off acquiring a lesser forward that costs less in both salary and assets that could fit in our long-term plans while providing enough money and assets left over to acquire a top 4 D, but I understand why Dorion made the trade.

Unfortunately I'm 98% sure that the guy we would have taken at 7th if we had kept the pick was Marco Kasper, who is having a fantastic draft+1 year and looks like a future stud forward.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
In hindsight we might have been better off acquiring a lesser forward that costs less in both salary and assets that could fit in our long-term plans while providing enough money and assets left over to acquire a top 4 D, but I understand why Dorion made the trade.

Unfortunately I'm 98% sure that the guy we would have taken at 7th if we had kept the pick was Marco Kasper, who is having a fantastic draft+1 year and looks like a future stud forward.
We don’t really need more prospects though. sign cat and we are good in our top 6 for the next 5 years atleast

So no Giroux ?

Bruce isn’t really that well connected, his primary source died last March.
Bruce is very connected with the sens and clearly has a direct line with them

Odd to say otherwise

Also why no giroux ? We have space

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Put your tin foil hat on for this one! If Batherson had the same contract status as Formenton...would the team have signed him? I don't think DBC is the one who gets traded...
I'm not sure how this is really relevant, or maybe I just don't understand your point. No worries though.

We don’t really need more prospects though. sign cat and we are good in our top 6 for the next 5 years atleast
We don't have many good forward prospects outside of Grieg. As our core is young, our contention window is open for a few years. We do need some good trade bait if we want to trade for a RD, plus there's a salary cap. Sanderson and Pinto will need new contracts, and money will be needed for a RD (or two RDs) and 1b goalie as well. I know people have their easy button at the ready though ......

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The trades were called a fleecing when they happened and they became even more of a fleecing once both Toews and Marino performed better then what they were prior to the trade. This is exactly what I'm trying to say. People wanting a future trade to happen by comparing it to a former fleecing is wishful thinking.

It's a loose statement because you chose to ignore the fact that I alluded to trading DeBrincat for a solid top-4 dman who was young, cost-controlled, and helps our biggest weakness.

With you simply writing - "trading a near ppg winger for a solid top-4" changes the statement completely as that can imply some old, expiring 4th dman who is just hanging on where as my statement implied a return that was far more beneficial.
I’m not expecting Dorion to pull off a toews type deal. I’m expecting him to negotiate well enough that debrincat isn’t going the other way for a top 4 d.

Or a top 4 d young cost controlled. Of which there are already not many? Brandt Clarke? But when a top 4 d is that young he’s a massive question mark

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bruce is very connected with the sens and clearly has a direct line with them

Odd to say otherwise

Also why no giroux ? We have space
It's not a cap space issue, it's a budget one, nobody can say with certainty that we can afford to add 4m right now, but if we did you can pretty much rule out an upgrade on D that we've been clamouring for.

It would also put us precariously close to the cap, about 300k away, that's pretty tight when you start adding in callups from injuries.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I'm not sure how this is really relevant, or maybe I just don't understand your point. No worries though.

We don't have many good forward prospects outside of Grieg. As our core is young, our contention window is open for a few years. We do need some good trade bait if we want to trade for a RD, plus there's a salary cap. Sanderson and Pinto will need new contracts, and money will be needed for a RD (or two RDs) and 1b goalie as well. I know people have their easy button at the ready though ......
We have good pieces to trade for Grieg Thomson JBD but we have seen RD go for a lot less than 7th overall

Using that 1st rounder for Cat was exactly what the sens should be doing . Our forward core is almost all locked up even Grieg will struggle to have a spot

It's not a cap space issue, it's a budget one, nobody can say with certainty that we can afford to add 4m right now, but if we did you can pretty much rule out an upgrade on D that we've been clamouring for.

It would also put us precariously close to the cap, about 300k away, that's pretty tight when you start adding in callups from injuries.
If it is a budget issue then tie picks to zaitsev and move him and if you have to get rid of brown too then fine but what defense did we add ?

The issue according to dorion is that he can’t find a defensemen

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

We have 3.5 and 4.5 coming off the books very soon. We have the money for a number 4 d lol

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We have good pieces to trade for Grieg Thomson JBD but we have seen RD go for a lot less than 7th overall

Using that 1st rounder for Cat was exactly what the sens should be doing . Our forward core is almost all locked up even Grieg will struggle to have a spot

If it is a budget issue then tie picks to zaitsev and move him and if you have to get rid of brown too then fine but what defense did we add ?

The issue according to dorion is that he can’t find a defensemen
Not sure a few trades that were made in a flat cap COVID market is something we can bank on in the future. If JBD & Thomson were good & good trade pieces, they would probably be on our roster now. Hope I am wrong.

Out of idle curiosity, I wonder what assets from our side it would take to get Chychrun. I'd guess it would be Grieg, our 1st (could be the 2023 1st) and something else.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We have 3.5 and 4.5 coming off the books very soon. We have the money for a number 4 d lol
Its the 2024-25 season that the Senators have to keep their eye on when Sanderson will need a new contract. They need to leave themselves cap space for that. So, if they want to sign one or two RDs perhaps next year, plus Pinto and a 1b goalie, they'll still need to do that while accommodating whatever Sanderson will get.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
I’m not expecting Dorion to pull off a toews type deal. I’m expecting him to negotiate well enough that debrincat isn’t going the other way for a top 4 d.

Or a top 4 d young cost controlled. Of which there are already not many? Brandt Clarke? But when a top 4 d is that young he’s a massive question mark

Am I missing something? It reads as though you're greatly undervaluing the importance of a top-4 defensemen. You realize we've been running guys like J.Brown, Zaitsev, Mete, Holden, Brannstrom, a plethora of AHL guys, Del Zotto, and the list goes on and on with guys of a similar ilk in a top-4 role.

We as a team and INCREDIBLY fortunate that a young 20 year old has been able to play like a top-4 defensemen this season or else we'd be in more trouble then we already are.

Yes young guys have question marks but it's not like there aren't question marks when it comes to the contract negotiations of DeBrincat. Sure he's an RFA right now but it'll be very soon where he's either a soon-to-be UFA or potentially the highest paid Ottawa Senator.

I would much much rather a young top-4 dman with contract control over Cat being the highest paid guy on this team OR seeing him leave this team for nothing/very little.

Reactions: bicboi64

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Soooo….what would you trade right now today for Kane and Connor Murphy?

2023 1st
Thomson
Wash 2nd
Joseph
Zaitsev

DeBrincat Stuzle Kane
Tkachuk Norris Giroux
Mott Pinto Batherson
Kastelic

Chabot Zub
Sanderson Murphy
Branny Hamonic

Drop Grieg into Motts spot next year.
Mott down with Kastelic and Crookshank :)

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Am I missing something? It reads as though you're greatly undervaluing the importance of a top-4 defensemen. You realize we've been running guys like J.Brown, Zaitsev, Mete, Holden, Brannstrom, a plethora of AHL guys, Del Zotto, and the list goes on and on with guys of a similar ilk in a top-4 role.

We as a team and INCREDIBLY fortunate that a young 20 year old has been able to play like a top-4 defensemen this season or else we'd be in more trouble then we already are.

Yes young guys have question marks but it's not like there aren't question marks when it comes to the contract negotiations of DeBrincat. Sure he's an RFA right now but it'll be very soon where he's either a soon-to-be UFA or potentially the highest paid Ottawa Senator.

I would much much rather a young top-4 dman with contract control over Cat being the highest paid guy on this team OR seeing him leave this team for nothing/very little.
Again

You can keep both cat and get a top 4

Why do you please keep thinking otherwise

Reactions: bert, NB613 and Que
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad