Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If he doesn't sign it sucks for sure. But the price they paid for 2 years and an option on a player of Debrincat's age and caliber is totally fair, if not more than fair.
If they determine he can't be extended, you'd hope they trade him sooner versus later as that will be a more ideal time to leverage Debrincat for a better trade return.

The assets they get back will reduce the sting of a one (year) and done (aka one year rental).

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah that's probably the first time I've seen anyone say that the DeBrincat deal was an overpay. Dorion has made more than his share of boneheaded moves but the DBC trade was absolutely a win and it becomes a home run if he signs a long term contract with Ottawa.
I liked the trade for Debrincat as he was a proven goal-scorer and worth the draft picks\; however, I wish it was made with a new deal or informal agreement in place before the trade.

If Debrincat will not sign long term agreement with the Senators for $8Mish, then we will be able to trade him somewhere and I hope we get something decent in return equivalent to what we traded to get him. Time will tell the story. Hopefully it does not become another "best day ever" trade.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Lucchini on waivers. Guess they are making room for Joseph's return with Lucchini headed back to Belleville (assumes he clears).

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Brannstrom makes very egregious errors. He isnt a solid bottom pairing D man he is tiny and easy to play against. He's a number 7 that can bump into a puck moving role if you have too many injuries. No way he survives in an NHL playoff series.

They are all bottom pair D men. Id rather the guy that is actually hard to play against and can actually shoot a puck at the NHL level.
I can't believe posters on this site actually think he is an NHL defenseman. He has no shot and struggles at his position. The only reason why he even plays is because we don't have anyone else and he is cheap. There are several posters that think he should quarterback a power play. He has not shown me he has a knack for offense. He has not recorded a point in 21 games.
I would like to see JBD play and then go out and get 2 more dmen. One being a partner for Chabot and the other being a bottom pairing guy. Then Kleven and some of the other dmen we have drafted can be brought up when injuries occur etc....
I think Brannstrom, Hamonic, Holden are not good. Also I am not sure who would ever want Zaitsev?? He sucks and his contract sucks. I think Brannstrom could be traded to a team as part of a package.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brannstrom has a weak shot, but 0 goals on 124 shots over the last two seasons is obviously unsustainable.

You get that many pucks on net and the occasional puck should find it's way in, either directly or indirectly off of opposing bodies.

Could say the same about 3 assists in 38 games this year given how well he advances the puck off ice. No one has been able to score off the rush at 5 on 5 this year, which has hurt his assist totals for sure.

Poor guy won't be able to command much money this offseason because of it. Sucks for him but good for the Sens.
The mental gymnastics performed in this post is truly impressive.

Yeah what a poor guy for not getting paid because he is no good. I feel bad for the guys that actually do perform in non contract years and don't get paid. For actually earning it.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I know most people aren't on board, but I'd acquire Puljuarvi if the cost is low. He doesn't have close to the details to his game that Paul did, but he has some of the same qualities. No chance I would give him a QO but he'd improve our bottom 6, possibly our PP2, and has some upside.

Edit - seems Marchand agrees with me:

I liked the trade for Debrincat as he was a proven goal-scorer and worth the draft picks\; however, I wish it was made with a new deal or informal agreement in place before the trade.

If Debrincat will not sign long term agreement with the Senators for $8Mish, then we will be able to trade him somewhere and I hope we get something decent in return equivalent to what we traded to get him. Time will tell the story. Hopefully it does not become another "best day ever" trade.
If we can't extend Debrincat longterm by the draft, I suspect we start pursuing a hockey trade, sort of like the Matt Tkachuk trade this past off-season. Making the trade in the offseason gives the flexibility needed for teams to offer a more present-based package.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Joseph getting traded?
He's pretty clearly one of the trade chips we have, I'd guess we are floating his name in any potential trade, and him being scratched seems to lend itself to that possibility, particularly when there's rumours we've been inquiring about Dumba.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
He's pretty clearly one of the trade chips we have, I'd guess we are floating his name in any potential trade, and him being scratched seems to lend itself to that possibility, particularly when there's rumours we've been inquiring about Dumba.

Wouldn't it be more likely that a team who's considering trading for him want to see him play before pulling the trigger? We're not talking about Pastrnak here. He's far from a known commodity or a sure thing.

Joseph is a bottom 6 player with a large salary who's already missed over a month due to injury and had a disappointing start to his season.

If we're looking to trade him, we should be rebuilding his value and showcasing him. Not healthy scratching him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wouldn't it be more likely that a team who's considering trading for him want to see him play before pulling the trigger? We're not talking about Pastrnak here. He's far from a known commodity or a sure thing.

Joseph is a bottom 6 player with a large salary who's already missed over a month due to injury and had a disappointing start to his season.

If we're looking to trade him, we should be rebuilding his value and showcasing him. Not healthy scratching him.
No? He's 250+ games under his belt, teams already know who he is, his disappointing start is the same pace he's played at every other year of his career, or slightly better.

People who are disappointed with his game had unrealistic expectations, particularly once Norris went down and he ended up with a PTO signing as his center.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
No? He's 250+ games under his belt, teams already know who he is, his disappointing start is the same pace he's played at every other year of his career, or slightly better.

People who are disappointed with his game had unrealistic expectations, particularly once Norris went down and he ended up with a PTO signing as his center.

Unrealistic expectations? You think Ottawa give him $2.9M per season for the next 4 season to score at 7g/29pt/82game pace? Yikes.

Joseph isn't the type of player you protect by keeping him out of the lineup, even if you're looking to trade him. The guy is a dime-a-dozen player, albeit, still quite a bit better than most in our AHL-caliber bottom 6. He's not Mark Stone.

But if that's what they're doing, it's hilarious.

"We want to make a playoff push so we're going to go out and trade for a defenseman (maybe even an upcoming UFA rental!). But in the meantime, as we look for that defenseman, we won't ice our best possible roster and we'll continue to lose games and fall further and further out of the race."

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Unrealistic expectations? You think Ottawa give him $2.9M per season for the next 4 season to score at 7g/29pt/82game pace? Yikes.

Joseph isn't the type of player you protect by keeping him out of the lineup, even if you're looking to trade him. The guy is a dime-a-dozen player, albeit, still quite a bit better than most in our AHL-caliber bottom 6. He's not Mark Stone.

"We want to make a playoff push so we're going to go out and trade for a defenseman (maybe even an upcoming UFA rental!). But in the meantime, as we look for that defenseman, we won't ice our best possible roster and we'll continue to lose games and fall further and further out of the race."
If you're one of the fastest players in the league, how can you be dime a dozen? Isn't that the exact opposite of that term?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Man what an idiotic decision it was to overpay Joseph based on an 11 game sample size of production.

Maybe a swap for Puljujarvi?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If you're one of the fastest players in the league, how can you be dime a dozen? Isn't that the exact opposite of that term?

He's an easily replaceable player - as made clear by DJ Smith deciding that having him as a healthy scratch is not a problem.

Personally, I think he should be in the lineup on this team because most of our bottom-6 is absolute shit (see: Dylan Gambrell, Parker Kelly, Austin Watson, the corpse of Derick Brassard).

But on a contender? He's a 4th liner/black ace. Like he was on Tampa.

The idea that we're scratching him because some acquiring team doesn't want him to get hurt is nuts.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wonder if he is indeed getting traded..

Joesph, Brannstrom+Was 2 for Dumba?
Why on earth would Ottawa do this for a rental.

Why is he scratched?! They desperately need him. Has to be something that happened off ice.

Every time there's a roster move or coaching decision like this, people start speculating about a trade. It is almost never a trade.
Quite clearly not a trade.

He's an easily replaceable player - as made clear by DJ Smith deciding that having him as a healthy scratch is not a problem.
With whats gone on do you think its reasonable to assume they are healthy scratching him due to the other players performance. Something else is going on.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Yes, it's unrealistic expectations for a guy playing on a third line with Motte and a PTO signing in Brassard to be putting up significantly more offense than that.

Motte is ideally a 4th liner but can play on your third, Brassard probably a 13th forward at this stage, a 29 pts pace is third liner production, he's doing it with guys slotted too high and next to no pp time. If you were expecting him to produce significantly more than that under those circumstances, you have unrealistic expectations for a guy getting paid third liner money.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Yes, it's unrealistic expectations for a guy playing on a third line with Motte and a PTO signing in Brassard to be putting up significantly more offense than that.

Motte is ideally a 4th liner but can play on your third, Brassard probably a 13th forward at this stage, a 29 pts pace is third liner production, he's doing it with guys slotted too high and next to no pp time. If you were expecting him to produce significantly more than that under those circumstances, you have unrealistic expectations for a guy getting paid third liner money.

If Pierre Dorion gave Mathieu Joseph, a soon-to-be 26-year old, $2.9M for 4 years and is happy with a 7 goal/82 game pace (and the occasional healthy scratch!) then he's dumber than even I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad