Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I’m guessing this ties in with the rumour that DeBrincat wants to sign an extension with Ottawa. Gotta clear some cap space ASAP.
Every roster & salary projection posted in here for 2023-24 assumed and already had Zaitsev subtracted. If they sign Debrincat & Talbot, there's not much left over for anything else (assuming a $83.5 m cap). So we'll have the same lineup next year except that there will be more ELCs (or low $ contracts) in the bottom six.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How high is Dorion willing to go? Any high pick he gives is one high pick he can’t give for a d man

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Every roster & salary projection posted in here for 2023-24 assumed and already had Zaitsev subtracted. If they sign Debrincat & Talbot, there's not much left over for anything else (assuming a $83.5 m cap). So we'll have the same lineup next year except that there will be more ELCs (or low $ contracts) in the bottom six.

There's not even room for Talbot, assuming he'd make around 4-5M on his next contract.

To re-sign DeBrincat we'll need to dump Zaitsev and then fill out the rest of the roster with cheap depth players.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
zack kassain went for a 2nd+3rd

Z hould go for less but we probably end up giving up two 2nds...cause Dorion

Kassian had two years left on his contract when dealt.

The cost to moving Zaitsev for the rest of the 2022/23 season should be little. The significant cost will be to get his contract off the books for 2023/24.

A 2nd has typically been the cost to move a bad D on a 1 year contract. Not sure why Zaitsev would cost significantly more to dump, especially if it's in the summer after his 2M bonus is paid, which is exactly when we should do it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I’m guessing this ties in with the rumour that DeBrincat wants to sign an extension with Ottawa. Gotta clear some cap space ASAP.

This seems the most likely scenario to me if the Sens give up a lot to dump Zaitsev immediately instead of in the summer.

Signing ADB first may give other teams more leverage in demanding a king's ransom to take on Zaitsev, since they'd know we'd be over the cap otherwise.

That's what happened with Philly this summer when they tried to dump JVR. Teams knew they wanted to clear cap with Gaudreau on the market and demanded a 1st be attached to JVR, even though he was a decent player on a 1 year contract at only 4M in actual salary.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This seems the most likely scenario to me if the Sens give up a lot to dump Zaitsev immediately instead of in the summer.

Signing ADB first may give other teams more leverage in demanding a king's ransom to take on Zaitsev, since they'd know we'd be over the cap otherwise.

That's what happened with Philly this summer when they tried to dump JVR. Teams knew they wanted to clear cap with Gaudreau on the market and demanded a 1st be attached to JVR, even though he was a decent player on a 1 year contract at only 4M in actual salary.
Outside of the debrincat trade Dorion regularly pays far above market value to basically do anything

Reactions: bert

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hmmm. Was Dorion not offering a 2nd before, like this summer and all season long? Dorion making a desperation trade trying to salvage the season and possibly his job is worrisome. Hope for the best and push aside the pessimistic urge I suppose.
There was scuttlebutt on HFBoards about what it would take to trade Zaitsev elsewhere; but I did not see or hear anything definite in the media.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Kuzmenko having a sick year. How come we can identify solid pros in Russia but not in the NHL

Russian Player tells Agent "I want to play in the NHL at the end of my contract. X,Y,Z, Ottawa are the top teams I would be interested in."
Agent discusses with Media.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Incoming Zaitsev trade that will upset all of us. Buckle up.
Trading Zaitsev elsewhere to avoid paying his salary and cap next season would be helpful and I suspect it might cost a 2nd round pick to do so. We might also have to eat a lower salary contract in return.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

we have cap to sign DBC

trading Z would be needed if we are trading for a 5mill defensemen or something

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Kassian had two years left on his contract when dealt.

The cost to moving Zaitsev for the rest of the 2022/23 season should be little. The significant cost will be to get his contract off the books for 2023/24.

A 2nd has typically been the cost to move a bad D on a 1 year contract. Not sure why Zaitsev would cost significantly more to dump, especially if it's in the summer after his 2M bonus is paid, which is exactly when we should do it.
I would rather do it now and avoid the $2M bonus payment.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
we have cap to sign DBC

trading Z would be needed if we are trading for a 5mill defensemen or something

Debrincat at 8.5, Pinto @ 3, Talbot @ 4 doesn’t leave any room other than a bunch of sub 1M players.

Reactions: Big Muddy

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
We can get it done under our budget, we have a lot of money off the books next season.

Zaitsev moving now is better then later and then extend Cat, Talbot and Pinto before the off-season and hope to get some discounts.

Reactions: NB613

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Debrincat at 8.5, Pinto @ 3, Talbot @ 4 doesn’t leave any room other than a bunch of sub 1M players.
yes thats why we need to move Z

also yes you will be looking for cheap contracts to fill the 4th line but that is okay if it means keeping a PPG winger in the top 6

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
We can get it done under our budget, we have a lot of money off the books next season.

Zaitsev moving now is better then later and then extend Cat, Talbot and Pinto before the off-season and hope to get some discounts.
Here's a 22-player roster & salaries for 2023-24. $83,249,880

Assumptions/risks include:
  • Have to be able to dump Zaitsev without any cost
  • Joseph subtracted
  • Finding a decent defender to play with Sanderson for about $3.1 m.
  • Performance bonuses not included.
  • Debrincat at $8.4 m x 8 years
  • Talbot resigned at $3.75 m
  • $83.5 m cap per recent info
Also worth mentioning that there's not much wiggle room for any injuries. Assumptions/risks noted above are well worth considering.

1672630331081.png

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
yes thats why we need to move Z

also yes you will be looking for cheap contracts to fill the 4th line but that is okay if it means keeping a PPG winger in the top 6
That includes Zaitsev gone. We would need 6 forwards at 1M and 4 D at 1M if we carry a 22M roster.

Here's a 22-player roster & salaries for 2023-24. $83,249,880

Assumptions/risks include:
  • Have to be able to dump Zaitsev without any cost
  • Joseph subtracted
  • Finding a decent defender to play with Sanderson for about $3.1 m.
  • Performance bonuses not included.
  • Debrincat at $8.4 m x 8 years
  • Talbot resigned at $3.75 m
  • $83.5 m cap per recent info
Also worth mentioning that there's not much wiggle room for any injuries. Assumptions/risks noted above are well worth considering.

View attachment 629198
Not sure Joseph is moveable without bringing money back.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Probably going to need five (5) sub $900 k forwards on the 3rd & 4th lines if we sign Debrincat & Talbot and that's with Zaitsev gone.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Call me crazy but I think it might be in our best interest to move Talbot at the deadline.

He's 35, so really not a long term investment, and right now there are a bunch of contending teams with a weakness in net who might pay a premium for an experienced guy on an expiring contract.

At the very least I don't think Talbot is that good where keeping him is essential.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Call me crazy but I think it might be in our best interest to move Talbot at the deadline.

He's 35, so really not a long term investment, and right now there are a bunch of contending teams with a weakness in net who might pay a premium for an experienced guy on an expiring contract.

At the very least I don't think Talbot is that good where keeping him is essential.
Totally agree. And it would be consistent with giving Forsberg the contract he got, which is too much for a backup. I'd rather trade Talbot and not have to give away assets to dump Zaitsev in order to fit D-Cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad