Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, the names you mentioned are some of the defenders that are interesting that might work in our price range. We definitely have a budget that we can't push past if Debrincat is signed to a new, long term contract. Plus there's other things that must come to fruition as well in this scenario like Zaitsev is removed without any salary coming back.

Is the cap officially set at 83.5? I feel like there might be some posturing on that front, players want the cap to go up so that they can sign big deals, teams want it to rise so they don't need to make tough decisions, the league wants it to stay low to make sure escrow gets paid off, but they know it will be eventually so I figure they might negotiate something to satisfy everyone if it's not set in stone yet.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sanderson, without question, must be locked in 8+ years. I believe at the expense of any single person on this roster.

He is a critical re-sign and should be done the moment he is eligible. We could do a bridge then longterm a la Sergachev, but lol, I don't wanna risk it.
Nope to the "any single person on this roster" part because there are other more valuable pieces such as Tkachuk, Stutzle. Perhaps you meant other pending UFA and RFA players.

I agree we need to sign him to a long term deal similar to Sergachev.

The specific picks were never offered because Dorion wanted a return of players, I could have worded it better.

Another Dumb move by the D.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Sanderson, without question, must be locked in 8+ years. I believe at the expense of any single person on this roster.

He is a critical re-sign and should be done the moment he is eligible. We could do a bridge then longterm a la Sergachev, but lol, I don't wanna risk it.
If we bridge young players until the Giroux contract is up, there's going to some risk with the cap going number going up between now and then (2025-26).

That's especially true for Sanderson. If he's signed to his long, term payday contract in 2025-26, I can imagine it being a big number (AAV).

I think that could be true for any of our young, promising players who are still on their ELC contracts now.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If we bridge young players until the Giroux contract is up, there's going to some risk with the cap going number going up between now and then (2025-26).

That's especially true for Sanderson. If he's signed to his long, term payday contract in 2025-26, I can imagine it being a big number (AAV).

I think that could be true for any of our young, promising players who are still on their ELC contracts now.
Yes that would be a consideration. But the cap going up solves signing problems too.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Is the cap officially set at 83.5? I feel like there might be some posturing on that front, players want the cap to go up so that they can sign big deals, teams want it to rise so they don't need to make tough decisions, the league wants it to stay low to make sure escrow gets paid off, but they know it will be eventually so I figure they might negotiate something to satisfy everyone if it's not set in stone yet.
No, it's not official. It's just the last info from the league.

There's a proposal floating around from GMs and agents to smooth out the increases. So, that would be a bigger increase in 2023-24 coupled with a lesser than originally anticipated increase in 2024-25. We'll have to wait until it gets to the NHLPA, and then to league. Everything is tied to league revenues ultimately of course, and as you noted, the owners want that player debt paid off.

I'd have to think that if the cap increases more in 2023-24 (and beyond of course as well), more teams will be getting relief thus more teams shopping to add players and address roster weaknesses. So, I'd wonder if we'd really be better off even if this scenario occurs. Hard to say, and I do tend to and have a habit of looking towards the future and trying to anticipate trends though.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yes that would be a consideration. But the cap going up solves signing problems too.
I guess. But, I think it's still worthwhile looking at the big picture. Last paragraph of #1181 gets into that. A lot depends on what the other roster objectives (additions) are I'd think.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I’d be satisfied if there was a well thought out process by an experienced POHO brought in by whomever the new owners are.

Even then, it’s going to be extremely difficult to win a cup obviously, so being a legitimate threat year in and year out for the next decade with this core will be a satisfying result for me as well.
Does Giroux come here without all the young assembled talent? Probably not. But I don't know that for certain.

The thing is, you don't know the reverse of it for certain either. You don't know he was coming here regardless of the roster situation. But that's how the story has to be spun in order for you to wear your Villian super hero costume and profess your beliefs to be true.

You keep fabricating tales Hale. Some of them are quite amusing
That and G has said exactly that in his post signing interviews. He specifically sites the quality of the young team, Brady as captain, and the excitement about the future of the squad as reasons he signed. Said he wants to win a cup here.

He specifically said that it wasn’t a done deal based on geography….

This is why discussions are pretty much only for the light fun banter of it, because so much of the opinion is based on avoiding details released from the specific people involved. More fun to make up and run with pure fantasy… lol!

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Giroux pretty much acquired himself. He and his family wanted to come home to Ottawa.

Hamonic is a mediocre bottom pairing defenseman and his acquisition may have come at the expense of acquiring a better D.

DeBrincat was a good acquisition, but my god if there's any GM in this league that doesn't deserve another year it's Pierre Dorion.

For how people talk about Dorion, he shouldn’t of even been able to phone Giroux’s agent. Yet we got that pen to paper.

Hamonic has his flaws but could you imagine how bad our D would be without him? He should be re-signed in the off-season if we can figure it out cap wise.

Dorion has his flaws for sure, but it does look like he is learning from his mistakes - to an extent. I actually want to see Dorion under ownership that has deep pockets and relatively little influence on his decisions.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It would be poetic if the pick we move to unload Zaitsev ends up being the 3rd we got for Brown, but that's likely not going to be enough.
We got the Capitals 2nd round pick in 2024 draft.

It would be very annoying if this is what transpires to make the trade.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We got the Capitals 2nd round pick in 2024 draft.

It would be very annoying if this is what transpires to make the trade.
Oops, my bad, yeah that's likely the pick we shop with him, can't see us moving a first to dump him and we don't have any 3rds. Our 2nd this year or next is just about as likely.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It would be poetic if the pick we move to unload Zaitsev ends up being the 3rd we got for Brown, but that's likely not going to be enough.
Connor Brown? he got us a 2nd. So I would guess a 2nd is high enough. I would hope we don't give up a 1st in that trade unless it includes someone that can play coming back.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

It would be poetic if the pick we move to unload Zaitsev ends up being the 3rd 2nd we got for Brown, but that's likely not going to be enough.

Connor Brown? he got us a 2nd. So I would guess a 2nd is high enough. I would hope we don't give up a 1st in that trade unless it includes someone that can play coming back.
Hmmm. Was Dorion not offering a 2nd before, like this summer and all season long? Dorion making a desperation trade trying to salvage the season and possibly his job is worrisome. Hope for the best and push aside the pessimistic urge I suppose.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

495494.jpg

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
zack kassain went for a 2nd+3rd

Z hould go for less but we probably end up giving up two 2nds...cause Dorion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events