Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
You don’t think that the on ice team is a huge factor in buying the team do you?

Think about how long term the investment in buying the team is. Think about the land deal, the real estate, and the decades of future ownership.

No, they aren’t micromanaging the NHL management and coaching at all right now beyond a discussion with the NHL as to whether things are ‘cool’.

It’s toooooo funny to think that guys are about to drop close to a billion dollars and are closely monitoring Pierre Dorion in the process because a bunch of internet fan dorks are angry at him. Like their in here checking for opinons, instead of smiling at 20k in the stands the other night.

Yeah no.

He will be fired eventually, they all are, and we should all hope that new ownership are professional and thorough, and not similar to bitter reactionary fans. That’s our job after all, not theirs.
Whatever. Better hurry and get Dorions autograph, again, before it's too late. Your post has nothing to do with what was being discussed. Make sure to hit all the threads and dump on everybody. You're the new Sweatred.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Whether it's before or immediately afterwards, I think people will be engaged to review the organization in order for new ownership to make informed decisions

There's a sentiment here that new ownership means Dorion is immediately gone but I think that decision will be carefully thought out based on reviewing the state of the franchise and hockey operations
Reviewing the state of the franchise and hockey ops is part of buying the team. That's why people think things will change fast.

Reactions: Alex1234

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
A top 4 is still absolutely critical.

Boys look really good and gotta make a huge push for playoffs, just gotta. Zub will help but we need reinforcement. Could save not only our season, but Dorion's tenure here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
When your owner refuses to take salary back it makes getting good returns hard. Montreal took on Tatars 3 years at about 5M, Buffalo took on multiple years of Sobotka and a long term commitment to Berglund, can you honestly imagine Melnyk agreeing to either of those scenarios?
What an absurd argument, we signed Stone to a +7 mil contract of course we could take some salary back if we traded him then instead. We had a budget and wouldn't expand it but stop blaming Melnyk's cheapness for everything, our budget included room for Stone, there was room for cheaper guys like Tatar and Sobotka as place holders.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I doubt you would have accepted trading Stone in the summer any more than you accepted trading him at the deadline. Most of us fans would have assumed we didn’t want to pay him and it was a move by Melnyk to save money.

Most of us would have accepted a better return ,, it was handled poorly imo.
Wasn't there a Dorion interview recently where he was asked about his trades? Dorion said something to the effect that the Stone trade was one he regretted or something to that effect?

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
If JBD is ready for that responsibility I think it is the ideal setup, but it's a lot to ask. Thomson will be waiver eligible as well, he's likely going to either be traded or on the roster next year. I could see him used similarly to Brannstrom on the bottom pair, not sure if I'd want them together though unless he takes a significant step.

It will be interesting to see how we handle next year, Talbot, DeBrincat, Brannstrom, JBD, and Pinto all need new contracts, we have about 21 mil in cap space to sign them and fill out the rest of the roster. If we manage to dump Zaitsev that adds another 4.5

We will probably be relying a lot on internal growth for any progression next year, or I suppose, better health and a new coach.

I wonder if we trade Forsberg and Joseph, make room for Sogaard as backup and one of Crookshank, Greig or Sokolov on the third line. It would open up about as much as trading Zaitsev would.
Yes, with a $83.5 m cap ceiling, next year will be interesting. That's what I have observed after running various spreadsheet iterations.

If the Senators give a new contract to Debrincat, and extend Talbot, then they will have to do some cap saving maneuvers elsewhere like on defense. Or, they can focus on defense, and do their some cap saving maneuvers with other positions (e.g., forward).

There's other challenges as well the following year. They need to decide what to do with Sanderson as he will need a new contract at some point in the not too distant future.

I know people are quick with the cap is going up scenario, but if the cap is below $88.5 to $89 m (in 2024-25), things still will be a little tight. They could push out the signing of Sanderson to his payday contract until Giroux is off the books (assumes Giroux is not re-signed as well), but got to think he'll want a big number if he waits until 2025-26. I'd wonder what one of the best defenders in the NHL who is born in the U.S. would want in that scenario?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Whatever. Better hurry and get Dorions autograph, again, before it's too late. Your post has nothing to do with what was being discussed. Make sure to hit all the threads and dump on everybody. You're the new Sweatred.
Whateveeeeeeerrrr. Chin up buddy it’s gonna be ok.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I doubt you would have accepted trading Stone in the summer any more than you accepted trading him at the deadline. Most of us fans would have assumed we didn’t want to pay him and it was a move by Melnyk to save money.
Losing stone sucked and still sucks but everyone knew once he signed a 1 year deal to UFA that the chances were looking poor. No one forced Dorion to come out and say all we need is more time and that they are close to a deal. Come on

Waiting to trade Stone at the last possible moment then saying it is your proudest day is just poor management and not being able to read the room

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Does that really matter? I mean, the writing was on the wall when he'd only sign a 1 year deal, at that point whether the fans accept it or not you move the guy, because they won't accept it any better when you move him with zero leverage.

Sometimes your hand is forced and you have to deal with it, fans would have likely blamed Melnyk as you said, and Dorion at least in theory could have gotten a significantly better return.
Yes, and regardless of how fans react, GMs are paid to make tough decisions. That's their job.

Who knows, maybe the return from Stone would have been more like the Karlsson one if Dorion had more time. Then, the fans would have eventually liked the trade.

hmm., Never heard that. Probably regretted calling it his Proudest Day
I'm pretty sure it was something he said during an interview (or podcast maybe) that was posted in here (HF). That's one of my big sources of info. It was Dorion's answer to a question he got on his trades. I'm not sure how I'd search given it was an interview (plus I'm lazy).

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
He is trying to convince himself and it is hilarious😂

Reactions: Loach

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
When your owner refuses to take salary back it makes getting good returns hard. Montreal took on Tatars 3 years at about 5M, Buffalo took on multiple years of Sobotka and a long term commitment to Berglund, can you honestly imagine Melnyk agreeing to either of those scenarios?
ahhaha is that why we took back Boedker for Hoffman?

cant wait for Dorion to go

for those who think that Dorion will be here next season with new ownership are delusional

Reactions: Alex1234

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
What would you trade for Seth Jones with 50% retention? and would you do it? would Chicago do it?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
A top 4 is still absolutely critical.

Boys look really good and gotta make a huge push for playoffs, just gotta. Zub will help but we need reinforcement. Could save not only our season, but Dorion's tenure here.
Chychruns price only going up.

Can’t believe there were some here that questioned if he was even a top pair d man

So, it begs the question, what is he using as trade bait?
24 first. 23 second. 24 second. Thomson. I’m sure sokolov is available.

Not enough to get anything great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad