Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Greig is our most attractive non NHL asset so he'd almost for sure have to be included in a deal for a legit top 4 D.

If it happens, the meltdown of the "I want the surprise box instead of a proven player we really need" crowd will be spectacular.

Unfortunately, with Dorion, it is also very possible that he makes a bonehead trade... At least he's been better without Screuge breathing down his neck so there is hope he won't go down that road.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Greig is our most attractive non NHL asset so he'd almost for sure have to be included in a deal for a legit top 4 D.

If it happens, the meltdown of the "I want the surprise box instead of a proven player we really need" crowd will be spectacular.

Unfortunately, with Dorion, it is also very possible that he makes a bonehead trade... At least he's been better without Screuge breathing down his neck so there is hope he won't go down that road.
Isn't that the same with any trade, if the player was good wherever they were last but not so good here people will question the trade & blame the GM. If the player turns out good here it had nothing to do with management & it was obvious. Sometimes players fit on other teams & sometimes they don't, sometimes they fit a role perfectly & sometimes they don't & sometimes they are forced into roles they are not a fit for due to injuries or other circumstances. It's certainly not a perfect science when dealing with people & players & no GM is perfect, they all make mistakes & they all sometimes get lucky.

Reactions: Laphroaig and JD1

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Dorion brought us Hamonic, Giroux and DeBrincat in the last year.

I’d think he gets a year under a POHO brought in by new ownership to evaluate his performances. Even if in that season we miss the playoffs in that year he might still be here.

He should get opportunities before the deadline to improve the team. I hope the current BOG green lights spending.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Dorion has been accumulating a lot of experience being thrown into the deep end with not much staff to help and advise him. He must have learned a thing or two from all the mistakes he made. His work the last year or so, without pressure from Melnyk, has been noticeably better (but not perfect). I don't know if he'll stay on with new ownership, but his experience is valuable in some form to some team, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dorion brought us Hamonic, Giroux and DeBrincat in the last year.

I’d think he gets a year under a POHO brought in by new ownership to evaluate his performances. Even if in that season we miss the playoffs in that year he might still be here.

He should get opportunities before the deadline to improve the team. I hope the current BOG green lights spending.

Giroux pretty much acquired himself. He and his family wanted to come home to Ottawa.

Hamonic is a mediocre bottom pairing defenseman and his acquisition may have come at the expense of acquiring a better D.

DeBrincat was a good acquisition, but my god if there's any GM in this league that doesn't deserve another year it's Pierre Dorion.

Reactions: NB613

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Greig is a must keep with Formentons status up in the air. He's going to give Pinto the offensive option he needs to be effective.

We either package one or any combination of JBD, Brannstrom, Boucher, Thompson, Kleven, Jarventie, Sokolov, Crookston + next years 1st or other picks for the top 4 dman.

Or we sign a FA for free.

Or we wait on our guys and see if we have the answer coming from in-house.

These are the only valid options.

And personally speaking, I'll be one sad panda if we don't get a legit top 4 defenceman from the combined value of Branny, Thompson, JBD, and Kleven (via trade or by them doing it themselves). That would hurt us for the value was spent on them.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Giroux pretty much acquired himself. He and his family wanted to come home to Ottawa.

Hamonic is a mediocre bottom pairing defenseman and his acquisition may have come at the expense of acquiring a better D.

DeBrincat was a good acquisition, but my god if there's any GM in this league that doesn't deserve another year it's Pierre Dorion.
Does Giroux come here without all the young assembled talent? Probably not. But I don't know that for certain.

The thing is, you don't know the reverse of it for certain either. You don't know he was coming here regardless of the roster situation. But that's how the story has to be spun in order for you to wear your Villian super hero costume and profess your beliefs to be true.

You keep fabricating tales Hale. Some of them are quite amusing

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Greig is a must keep with Formentons status up in the air. He's going to give Pinto the offensive option he needs to be effective.

We either package one or any combination of JBD, Brannstrom, Boucher, Thompson, Kleven, Jarventie, Sokolov, Crookston + next years 1st or other picks for the top 4 dman.

And personally speaking, I'll be one sad panda if we don't get a legit top 4 defenceman from the combined value of Branny, Thompson, JBD, and Kleven (via trade or by them doing it themselves). That would hurt us for the value was spent on them.
Man the Formenton situation really sucks. He's one of the top pk talents in the league and a high end 3rd line player.

Guys comment about a lack of bottom 6 depth. Losing a player of this caliber with nothing to show for it... it's brutal.

Our entire on paper 3rd line is missing. Joseph is injured. Formenton may never play in the league again and Pinto has been forced into 2nd line duty .

We'd look a hell of a lot different with a 3rd line of Formenton Pinto Joseph

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Man the Formenton situation really sucks. He's one of the top pk talents in the league and a high end 3rd line player.

Guys comment about a lack of bottom 6 depth. Losing a player of this caliber with nothing to show for it... it's brutal.

Our entire on paper 3rd line is missing. Joseph is injured. Formenton may never play in the league again and Pinto has been forced into 2nd line duty .

Yea I was really excited to see Formenton Pinto and Joseph on a line together. Shame.

Reactions: senswon and NB613

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
“The moves Pierre was able to do over the last few weeks obviously helped my choice a lot. And I’m very excited.”

That’s a quote from Giroux after he signed. Now if you think he was just being polite to his new boss that’s one thing, but if you take him at his word then Dorion deserves at least some credit for acquiring G.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
“The moves Pierre was able to do over the last few weeks obviously helped my choice a lot. And I’m very excited.”

That’s a quote from Giroux after he signed. Now if you think he was just being polite to his new boss that’s one thing, but if you take him at his word then Dorion deserves at least some credit for acquiring G.
Are you bringing facts to a narrative? Shame on you

Reactions: Silencio

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

A lot depends on what you think of as “a legit top 4 defence man”, but I suspect that combination of players doesn’t land you one in a trade.

So, I think the “doing it themselves “ option is the best hope.

Reactions: DrEasy

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Yea I was really excited to see Formenton Pinto and Joseph on a line together. Shame.

They would have been among the best 3rd line, if not the best, in the league.

Moreover, Motte would have been on our 4th line, which is where he would have absolutely thrived as one of the best. I do not feel bad about the Formenton situation because ***** him if what he did is true. Sucks we had to pay for it with a premium asset lost for naught.

Dorion is all in on trying to get another D man right now

Really hard to tell who. With Chychrun being heavily linked and EK connection, you can easily make argument for them... but at the same time, cap and assets means we could be targetting Gavrikov (if he really does play RD as well).

Boucher's play makes him a very attractive piece again. 1st etc.

Still don't think we can trade Greig. His style of play and all uncertainty on F moving forward means players like him are golden depth and usually x-factors come playoff time.

Realistically? I don't see anyone being available with how difficult it is to find RD that means Dorion will need to pay at minimum market value for whoever he goes after.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Gavrikov plays LD on every site I've looked at it.

And it would be nice to convert some combo of Sokolov, Thomson and Branny into a top 4 RD, but I see that has highly unlikely.

I don't know if having Pierre making a trade now given that new ownership is on the verge of taking over is a good thing. It's not our roster scraps that any other GM will be looking for.

I don't think there's budget for expensive dman with a $83.5 m cap next year if they plan on keeping Debrincat, but hopefully they can find something in the $3 - 4 m (maybe $4.5 m) range that is decent.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gavrikov plays LD on every site I've looked at it.

And it would be nice to convert some combo of Sokolov, Thomson and Branny into a top 4 RD, but I see that has highly unlikely.

I don't know if having Pierre making a trade now given that new ownership is on the verge of taking over is a good thing. It's not our roster scraps that any other GM will be looking for.

I don't think there's budget for expensive dman with a $83.5 m cap next year if they plan on keeping Debrincat, but hopefully they can find something in the $3 - 4 m (maybe $4.5 m) range that is decent.

I like Carlo as a target, cheap contract with term, some risk associated with his health might make him available, has the size we need to add, but if we passed on Marino because of his term as Garrioch suggested, I suspect we won't be interested.

Matt Roy has been floated in the past and would work if LA are willing to move him.

Jensen and Mayfield might be viable options if we are looking in the summer, but I doubt either will be moved by the deadline, and we wouldn't likely want to risk acquiring them only to watch them walk

Tanev is an interesting option, too but again, Cgy is unlikely to want to move him in the thick of a playoff race.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes, with a $83.5 m cap ceiling, next year will be interesting. That's what I have observed after running various spreadsheet iterations.

If the Senators give a new contract to Debrincat, and extend Talbot, then they will have to do some cap saving maneuvers elsewhere like on defense. Or, they can focus on defense, and do their some cap saving maneuvers with other positions (e.g., forward).

There's other challenges as well the following year. They need to decide what to do with Sanderson as he will need a new contract at some point in the not too distant future.

I know people are quick with the cap is going up scenario, but if the cap is below $88.5 to $89 m (in 2024-25), things still will be a little tight. They could push out the signing of Sanderson to his payday contract until Giroux is off the books (assumes Giroux is not re-signed as well), but got to think he'll want a big number if he waits until 2025-26. I'd wonder what one of the best defenders in the NHL who is born in the U.S. would want in that scenario?
I like Giroux's play a lot; however, the future of this franchise depends on signing Sanderson more than Giroux, who is likely going to decline significantly in his abilities over the next 2 or 3 years.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I like Giroux's play a lot; however, the future of this franchise depends on signing Sanderson more than Giroux, who is likely going to decline significantly in his abilities over the next 2 or 3 years.

Sanderson, without question, must be locked in 8+ years. I believe at the expense of any single person on this roster.

He is a critical re-sign and should be done the moment he is eligible. We could do a bridge then longterm a la Sergachev, but lol, I don't wanna risk it.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I like Carlo as a target, cheap contract with term, some risk associated with his health might make him available, has the size we need to add, but if we passed on Marino because of his term as Garrioch suggested, I suspect we won't be interested.

Matt Roy has been floated in the past and would work if LA are willing to move him.

Jensen and Mayfield might be viable options if we are looking in the summer, but I doubt either will be moved by the deadline, and we wouldn't likely want to risk acquiring them only to watch them walk

Tanev is an interesting option, too but again, Cgy is unlikely to want to move him in the thick of a playoff race.
Yes, the names you mentioned are some of the defenders that are interesting that might work in our price range. We definitely have a budget that we can't push past if Debrincat is signed to a new, long term contract. Plus there's other things that must come to fruition as well in this scenario like Zaitsev is removed without any salary coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad