Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Personally I find it unlikely. Being fluently bilingual is an advantage only if you're also a good public speaker and Pierre always seems a bit awkward (less so in french, but still).
He's made it this far while his public demise has been ongoing for a number of yrs on here. But to be clear I doubt it happens too & I think it's unclear what happens to him especially after the summer of Pierre when he was the talk of the hockey world. I've never been a fan, but it's rather remarkable how long he has hung on & promply dumped his only internal rival the first chance he got.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
In here you have posters holding on to ‘Stepan and Gudbranson’ as their reasoning for “Dorion Sucks”. Two insignificant moves that have no baring in the rebuild beyond a 2nd round pick.
Zibanejad, Stone and maybe the Duchene trades probably had something to do with it as well. Might have been just forgetfulness or artful memory on your part. On the Stone trade, probably waiting too long without getting him signed was relevant.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Zibanejad, Stone and maybe the Duchene trades probably had something to do with it as well. Might have been just forgetfulness or artful memory on your part. On the Stone trade, probably waiting too long without getting him signed was relevant.
Fan base would have lynched Dorion if he traded him the summer before arb. Lots of Dorion’s moves have been Melnyk directed, financially required or just desperation.

Reactions: bert

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Fan base would have lynched Dorion if he traded him the summer before arb. Lots of Dorion’s moves have been Melnyk directed, financially required or just desperation.
I don't know who him is, but yes, hard to know what part was Dorion and what role Melnyk had exactly. That's part of the fun being a Senator fan. Dorion got locked on Duchene for some reason, but I personally don't think he was a big enough of a difference maker. Just found it Interesting that Dorion had just 2 bad moves (the main point of the post).

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't know who him is, but yes, hard to know what part was Dorion and what role Melnyk had exactly. That's part of the fun being a Senator fan. Dorion got locked on Duchene for some reason, but I personally don't think he was a big enough of a difference maker. Just found it Interesting that Dorion had just 2 bad moves.
Stone was the “who” sorry.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I dont think Dorion cared to have Alfie in the arena from what I have heard... Insecurities I believe. A large reason along with Melnyk he took a hiatus from the team.
Who did you "hear" say that?
I think new ownership should start with a POHO, maybe a new coach and new pro scouts. Then evaluate after one season. Dorion has never really had the ability to spend. I think he deserves one chance to spend to the ceiling and be a little more business minded than friendly.

Agreed. I think he gets it and it will pay dividends under new ownership.

I think we’re on the cusp of greatness. We just need to mature another season, stay healthy and get some help on the backend.

I agree Dorion and Alffy are probably on not the best terms. I think if Dorion could have found a way to throw Alffy a few more bucks he never leaves.

Jarmo went to Columbus as a young team on the rise, drafted well and traded away too many assets for nothing. Playoff runs aside some of his trades are just bad. His strength is relying on his scouting team and drafting - a skill Dorion also excels at.

To be fair - Dorion budget when it comes to pro scouts and coaching is near the bottom in the league.
To also be fair, Melnyk did not force Dorion to trade Zibby for what he got!

Reactions: DrEasy and Alex1234

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ok, so we're getting new ownership. That's great. Hopefully it's a consortium with deep pockets.

Is new ownership going to take the reigns and immediately fire Dorion? I hope not. Wtf do any of the ownership candidates know about professional hockey?

The smart play #1 is a new ownership group hiring an experienced hockey man above Dorion to conduct a detailed review top to bottom and making decisions based on that review

Smart play #2 might be to discretely inquire around the league about the people we have in hockey ops while focussing their attention on the business side of building up the fan base and preparations for a new arena.

There's a cadre of folks in here that want their pound of flesh. But listening to the fanatics on a message board probably isn't the best way to go when making billion dollar plus business decisions
The smart play by a new ownership group would be to hire smart hockey execs to provide advice before completing the takeover and to develop a plan that could be implemented shortly afterward.

Yes, we need one of JBD or Thomson to take a big step forward to move into the top 4 but whether either is capable at this time is questionable but IMO JBD is ahead of Thomson. I also think that one of JBD, Thomson or Brannstrom is likely not going to be here next yr & will be traded for an upgrade somewhere. They have to upgrade that right side.

Would it surprise you if he is moved up as opposed to moving down? Maybe he gets the President job & another GM is brought in. I'm not advocating for it, but it's another possibility, he's had a number of different jobs in the org & should know the entire org inside & out by now as well as the city & advertisers. He is fluently bilingual, knows city hall & the politicians & knows the media quite well. Food for thought.
I very much doubt that Dorion will be moved up in the Sens organization. Out is more likely.

He could be given a Special Assignment by the new President, which would mean to find another job asap.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The smart play by a new ownership group would be to hire smart hockey execs to provide advice before completing the takeover and to develop a plan that could be implemented shortly afterward.

I very much doubt that Dorion will be moved up in the Sens organization. Out is more likely.

He could be given a Special Assignment by the new President, which would mean to find another job asap.
It will be interesting to see what happens with all this, I don't think it's a fait accompli as many others do at this point especially if the team continues to progress or trend upwards. We'll see eventually.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Whether it's before or immediately afterwards, I think people will be engaged to review the organization in order for new ownership to make informed decisions

There's a sentiment here that new ownership means Dorion is immediately gone but I think that decision will be carefully thought out based on reviewing the state of the franchise and hockey operations

Reactions: aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
lol didn't anyone force Dorion to come out and say that they were close on signing Stone and that they just need more time? or that it was his best day as GM when Stone got traded? Media messaging is a huge part of the GM job. Dorion is not that good. Melnyk was horrible yes but Dorion is not some messiah

The moment Stone was looking to sign a 1 year deal he should have been traded. Most fans knew the moment Stone signed for 1 year to go to UFA things were not what they seemed.

Same with DBC if he only signs for 1 year then Ottawa needs to consider all options

Whether it's before or immediately afterwards, I think people will be engaged to review the organization in order for new ownership to make informed decisions

There's a sentiment here that new ownership means Dorion is immediately gone but I think that decision will be carefully thought out based on reviewing the state of the franchise and hockey operations
I think most people believe that going into next season we probably have a new GM and coach

I don't think that is that farfetched.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
lol didn't anyone force Dorion to come out and say that they were close on signing Stone and that they just need more time? or that it was his best day as GM when Stone got traded? Media messaging is a huge part of the GM job. Dorion is not that good. Melnyk was horrible yes but Dorion is not some messiah

The moment Stone was looking to sign a 1 year deal he should have been traded. Most fans knew the moment Stone signed for 1 year to go to UFA things were not what they seemed.

Same with DBC if he only signs for 1 year then Ottawa needs to consider all options

I think most people believe that going into next season we probably have a new GM and coach

I don't think that is that farfetched.
I doubt you would have accepted trading Stone in the summer any more than you accepted trading him at the deadline. Most of us fans would have assumed we didn’t want to pay him and it was a move by Melnyk to save money.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
What sucks about us giving up our 2019 1st to Colorado was that it was likely a factor in Dorion botching the Stone trade.

He probably didn't want to trade Stone in the offseason because of how bad our team would have been, which would only make losing the 1st worse(not that it actually changed anything).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I doubt you would have accepted trading Stone in the summer any more than you accepted trading him at the deadline. Most of us fans would have assumed we didn’t want to pay him and it was a move by Melnyk to save money.
Does that really matter? I mean, the writing was on the wall when he'd only sign a 1 year deal, at that point whether the fans accept it or not you move the guy, because they won't accept it any better when you move him with zero leverage.

Sometimes your hand is forced and you have to deal with it, fans would have likely blamed Melnyk as you said, and Dorion at least in theory could have gotten a significantly better return.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Does that really matter? I mean, the writing was on the wall when he'd only sign a 1 year deal, at that point whether the fans accept it or not you move the guy, because they won't accept it any better when you move him with zero leverage.

Sometimes your hand is forced and you have to deal with it, fans would have likely blamed Melnyk as you said, and Dorion at least in theory could have gotten a significantly better return.
In theory he would have gotten a better return but it’s not guaranteed.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Who did you "hear" say that?

To also be fair, Melnyk did not force Dorion to trade Zibby for what he got!

Pretty sure Melnyk was involved in that trade. They had to ensure they got a player they could 'justify' to the fans who was at a lower salary than what Mika would get. Remember that 2nd rounder? You think Dorion wanted to include that? haha

Reactions: NB613

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Pretty sure Melnyk was involved in that trade. They had to ensure they got a player they could 'justify' to the fans who was at a lower salary than what Mika would get. Remember that 2nd rounder? You think Dorion wanted to include that? haha
I seriously doubt that Melnyk said trade Zibby to the Rangers for Brassard.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In theory he would have gotten a better return but it’s not guaranteed.
Sure, it's not guaranteed. There's a pretty good chance Vegas would have given us the package they gave up for Pacioretty, perhaps a bit more since Stone was the better asset, or maybe we'd have been in conversations with the Blues and offered them an alternative to trading for O'Reilly, but it's not guaranteed. Stone would have arguably been the biggest piece on the market. The point though is that we put ourselves in a position where it is guaranteed our leverage was less than had we tried to move him earlier. we put our backs up against the wall when it was pretty clear that we were compromising ourselves. We held out hope that maybe Stone would change his mind and sign with us when all the signs were pointing towards it being a tough sell.

Reactions: Cosmix and HSF

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sure, it's not guaranteed. There's a pretty good chance Vegas would have given us the package they gave up for Pacioretty, perhaps a bit more since Stone was the better asset, or maybe we'd have been in conversations with the Blues and offered them an alternative to trading for O'Reilly, but it's not guaranteed. Stone would have arguably been the biggest piece on the market. The point though is that we put ourselves in a position where it is guaranteed our leverage was less than had we tried to move him earlier. we put our backs up against the wall when it was pretty clear that we were compromising ourselves. We held out hope that maybe Stone would change his mind and sign with us when all the signs were pointing towards it being a tough sell.
When your owner refuses to take salary back it makes getting good returns hard. Montreal took on Tatars 3 years at about 5M, Buffalo took on multiple years of Sobotka and a long term commitment to Berglund, can you honestly imagine Melnyk agreeing to either of those scenarios?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That's probably been done already. You don't buy a NHL team, which needs a new arena built, and wait to decide who you have working for you. That would be bonkers. As soon as the new owner is decided things will change in the first 10 days. No waiting until the paper work is done in the summer.
You don’t think that the on ice team is a huge factor in buying the team do you?

Think about how long term the investment in buying the team is. Think about the land deal, the real estate, and the decades of future ownership.

No, they aren’t micromanaging the NHL management and coaching at all right now beyond a discussion with the NHL as to whether things are ‘cool’.

It’s toooooo funny to think that guys are about to drop close to a billion dollars and are closely monitoring Pierre Dorion in the process because a bunch of internet fan dorks are angry at him. Like their in here checking for opinons, instead of smiling at 20k in the stands the other night.

Yeah no.

He will be fired eventually, they all are, and we should all hope that new ownership are professional and thorough, and not similar to bitter reactionary fans. That’s our job after all, not theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad