Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
DIdn't Alfie have a faling out with management?

With Z gone we can sign DBC to 8mill and add a 5mill defensemen. Then get rid of Joseph next year
But that doesn’t address the lack of depth.

I did not see anything in the media on that. Did you see anything or get it from Alfie?

I think we need an experienced NHL coach who has had some success.
It was from a couple media members.

Reactions: Cosmix

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Not sure I like the sounds of this.

There is no need for a panic trade, they usually suck. I doubt PD is as panicky is people are hoping/thinking. As you said, there is a good chance that change is inevitable, no point in ruining what looks like a good core if you have hopes of being hired again elsewhere.

Jarmo is not a good choice as a GM in my opinion as he has been ineffective in CBJ. His loss of Pan and Bob was terrible asset management, and he has done very little since.

I want Alfie in a position with the team, but as a guy with next to no front office experience, I’m not sure he’s the right choice to hand the reigns to.

Specifically the idea that he would hire a GM based on his rapport with him is not great reasoning.

I think Alfie needs a VP job to learn the ropes like other player/front office moves.

I see no reason to move from DJ to Mann, sounds a lot like the same thing again where we try and go with an inexperienced coach, but don’t have the stomach to give them time to learn. Mann can be an assistant coach if they want to keep him. One promotion at a time would be nice to see.

If it’s a cleaning house, next season could start just as slowly as the entire new coaching staff will be implementing a new system….

I find this all potentially very exciting.
Very, very good post IMO. I know that will mean a bit less to some given that it’s coming for me, haha, but from my perspective you totally hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Dorion needs to go. A fresh set of eyes needs to take an unbiased look at where we are and take the next steps.

I think new ownership should start with a POHO, maybe a new coach and new pro scouts. Then evaluate after one season. Dorion has never really had the ability to spend. I think he deserves one chance to spend to the ceiling and be a little more business minded than friendly.

Dorion has always needed oversight and help.

Agreed. I think he gets it and it will pay dividends under new ownership.

The franchise needs a complete renewal. No way Dorion survives new ownership. They want to reinvent the Senators and you can’t have Dorion who has so much baggage with this team involved in the renewal - new ownership is a new vision and Dorion’s vision for this team has the Sens ship 3 feet below the water line with him and DJ saying every 2 weeks “the next 2 weeks will dictate if we sink or swin” and today the Ottawasun ran another article saying this is the week for them to get it going, same thing they’ve been saying since game 1 of the season

I think we’re on the cusp of greatness. We just need to mature another season, stay healthy and get some help on the backend.

Jarmo has been dealt a pretty shit hand and done well with it for the most part. Zero Chance Dorion is around if Alfie is involved. I dont see why on any level he would be kept either, with or without Alfie. He has no ability to evaluate pro talent. He has hired the coachs too.

I agree Dorion and Alffy are probably on not the best terms. I think if Dorion could have found a way to throw Alffy a few more bucks he never leaves.

Jarmo went to Columbus as a young team on the rise, drafted well and traded away too many assets for nothing. Playoff runs aside some of his trades are just bad. His strength is relying on his scouting team and drafting - a skill Dorion also excels at.

To be fair - Dorion budget when it comes to pro scouts and coaching is near the bottom in the league.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
That doesn’t insulate against the kind of injuries we’ve had.
thats definitely fair and in terms of the elcs that we can only really pencil in its greig, jbd and maybe crookshank. We should still need to get at least 2 if not 3 bottom 6 pieces, a top 4 dman and potentially a goalie

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the disagreement with Alfredsson was with Melnyk not Dorion, if I remember correctly Dorion wanted to keep Alfredsson. While most of us want to see a change of management it is also note worthy that a new management could also do things we don't like & potentially move players we don't want moved. Maybe they are better & maybe they are not, there are no guarantees in sports. Change for the sake of change isn't always a recipe for success. They have a good young team that seems to make a lot of mistakes & those mistakes cost them, experience should eliminate these mistakes over time. They need a few more of their prospects to take a big step up, they will need Greig, Boucher, Ostapchuk, Kleven & JBD to all take a big step forward.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
That doesn’t insulate against the kind of injuries we’ve had.

Build a strong center ice which seems like we are on track to. Add Greig on wing who could potentially play in the middle if needed. Also add a better defensemen and have Chabot and Sanderson as your pivots who can cover incase of injuries.

Really the sens should have made use of cheap ELC by signing talent and then surrounding them with ELC like Stuztle but due to our ownership and management team they decided to add Stepan and Gudbranson

Adding cheap depth is possible and if you implement a better system and culture then guys shouldn't completely collapse from injury

thats definitely fair and in terms of the elcs that we can only really pencil in its greig, jbd and maybe crookshank. We should still need to get at least 2 if not 3 bottom 6 pieces, a top 4 dman and potentially a goalie
you can find cheap vets at the end of the UFA period to add to the bottom six. You rather spend on a guy like DBC then not

Reactions: NB613

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I just took a look through Jarmo’s last few years of work on Capfriendly and was thoroughly unimpressed.

I think even with new ownership Dorion gets a chance to show the group he has a vision, he has a plan and has executed most of the steps.

Just because Jarmo is bad doesn't mean Dorion doesn't suck.

Both are bad. Dorion needs to go.

Reactions: Xspyrit

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Build a strong center ice which seems like we are on track to. Add Greig on wing who could potentially play in the middle if needed. Also add a better defensemen and have Chabot and Sanderson as your pivots who can cover incase of injuries.

Really the sens should have made use of cheap ELC by signing talent and then surrounding them with ELC like Stuztle but due to our ownership and management team they decided to add Stepan and Gudbranson

Adding cheap depth is possible and if you implement a better system and culture then guys shouldn't completely collapse from injury

you can find cheap vets at the end of the UFA period to add to the bottom six. You rather spend on a guy like DBC then not
Oh I agree, i rather spend on DBC but there is still an issue of our depth lacking even if you add in grieg, that we will need to shore up that weakness as well. Finding cheap vets are easy but those cheap vets are cheap and there at the end for a reason haha

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Alfies issues were with EM not PD.

I thought Allie said on Wally and Meth, he was less interested in management, sounded more like coaching or development, was his interest.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Just because Jarmo is bad doesn't mean Dorion doesn't suck.

Both are bad. Dorion needs to go.
I think this is a fan forum opinion that is not shared in the NHL world.

I personally think that people look at the fruits of one’s labour to pass judgment, and our young team looks great so far.

In here you have posters holding on to ‘Stepan and Gudbranson’ as their reasoning for “Dorion Sucks”. Two insignificant moves that have no baring in the rebuild beyond a 2nd round pick.

I’m just glad that we got to see a half season and off season where Dorion could finally work unhindered, for those who still have an open mind on the subject it certainly added a wealth of perspective both on the various stages of the rebuild, and the way the team ran under EM…

… and what a period of time it has been; Norris, Stutzle, Zub all signed to long deals, DBC and Talbot traded for, Motte and Giroux signed, not to mention Sanderson finally added to the roster, and not a single core player lost from the team in the process.

I think new owners, and a new POHO will look at the big picture and base their decisions on the state of the team and of the overall rebuilding process, and not get bogged down by a few failed insignificant trades and signings that had zero implications in the short or long term.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Alfies issues were with EM not PD.

I thought Allie said on Wally and Meth, he was less interested in management, sounded more like coaching or development, was his interest.

Interestingly enough, if Bryan Murray made a bad move it was blamed on Melnyck’s interference. When PD makes a bad move it’s blamed on his lack of sophistication. Murray had the media in his back pocket, Dorion has a palm-pilot on his back pocket

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Great OT. Stutzle and Cat were flying out there.
BUT, there were a few occurrences where the Sens player let his man get away from him. Still much work to do by both the players and coaching staff to reduce those stupidity moments.

Interestingly enough, if Bryan Murray made a bad move it was blamed on Melnyck’s interference. When PD makes a bad move it’s blamed on his lack of sophistication. Murray had the media in his back pocket, Dorion has a palm-pilot on his back pocket
I thought it was a note pad. :)

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Just to echo this statement, it was Murray that was the GM when Alfie left. Dorion would have been AGM at that time, which means he would have some involvement in support of Murray but ultimately as most have mentioned, I believe that Melnyk was the one behind the scenes low-balling Alfie on the last contract and the reason that Alfie left for Detroit. When Alfie came back to learn the ropes under Murray, there was very likely still bad blood between Alfie and Melnyk and is the reason why Alfie left as a non-player/executive. I don't think Dorion had anything to do with Alfie leaving, either as a player or as an executive.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Oh I agree, i rather spend on DBC but there is still an issue of our depth lacking even if you add in grieg, that we will need to shore up that weakness as well. Finding cheap vets are easy but those cheap vets are cheap and there at the end for a reason haha
well yes

no team is completely stacked with star power on their prime contracts and flush with quality depth. One is much easier to find though and locking up your stars is def more important

Reactions: bert and TheNewEra

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
BUT, there were a few occurrences where the Sens player let his man get away from him. Still much work to do by both the players and coaching staff to reduce those stupidity moments.

I thought it was a note pad. :)
That cross ice pass by Stutzle in overtime came to within an inch of being picked off & going the other way with no one back to stop them. He has to stop making dangerous risky plays like that & he has to shorten his shifts sometimes too especially when he is getting tired & been on too long. He is an example of a player trying too hard to do too much that can sometimes hurt the team, but he was flying in OV.

This team needs JBD to step up & become the 2nd pairing RD, that way Zub could play with Chabot & it would push Hamonic down to the 3rd pairing where he likely belongs. I'm not a fan of Brannstrom on the 3rd pairing & would prefer a bigger tougher mobile bruiser, maybe Heatherington for a yr until Kleven is NHL ready & pushes him out. Or better yet, sign the best we can in the off season for a yr or two.

Reactions: bert and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Don't recall who was saying it, but I thought the claim in the past was Alfie doesn't get along with Dorion, not the other way around.
I would like to see the newspaper stories and TV commentators videos. I never did see any/

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time! 🏒
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
thehockeynews.com
1672262059862.png

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad