Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
I might still trade him if we can get decent value back, ideally a RHD is what we need, if he can be a piece used to land us that, great. I'd move Joseph first but you got to give to get.
Are you willing to trade him because of the negative cloud around the player or because we'll have a year to get used to not having him or to get a more entry level up and coming RD?
It's interesting that both Formenton and Joseph were gonna make our 3rd line fast and dangerous

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Are you willing to trade him because of the negative cloud around the player or because we'll have a year to get used to not having him or to get a more entry level up and coming RD?
It's interesting that both Formenton and Joseph were gonna make our 3rd line fast and dangerous
Cap concerns and a need for a RHD, I'm assuming in this hypothetical that he's mostly exonerated and has trade value.

Now if he ends up not criminally guilty but some really unethical behaviours come out, we might be in a tough spot. Personally I'm ok with the team moving on from a player they feel could be a distraction due to questionable character or ethical choices they've made. Everyone deserves a chance at redemption and a second chance after making poor choices, but in a lot of cases it's better for all parties that the second chance comes with a change in scenery.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Those hits by reaves last night were very very serious.

Would look into acquiring in the summer over watson

Reactions: Cosmix

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If Dorion is looking for a hard hitter, I hope he tries to pry Zadarov off the Flames. He can play in the top 4 in a pinch and hits like a train. Flames have been kinda underwhelming and there might be a move there to be made. His $3.75 million can be spent re-signing Mackey who's been playing well. Maybe Holden and a draft pick can get er done?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If Dorion is looking for a hard hitter, I hope he tries to pry Zadarov off the Flames. He can play in the top 4 in a pinch and hits like a train. Flames have been kinda underwhelming and there might be a move there to be made. His $3.75 million can be spent re-signing Mackey who's been playing well. Maybe Holden and a draft pick can get er done?
Good interview with him on Chiclets this week.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They gotta go get some more depth up front. Someone that can skate with Tkachuk and Giroux. Not looking for a world beater but that line is too slow with Brassard.

Either way they gotta do better than Lucchini and Chartier. They are not NHL players.
I doubt that Dorion makes a trade to get another decent center to replace Brassard; he will wait for Stutzle and hope Norris comes back in January. Luchini, Chartier are just temp fillers. The six 4th liners we have are: Brassard, Motte, Kastelic, Gambrell, Watson and Kelly.

Reactions: NB613 and Alex1234

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
we acquired DeBrincat because of a chance encounter that sounds like a bad joke.

“Pierre Dorion walks into a bar…” and the rest is history.

Trading DeBrincat would be peak stupidity. He’s a gem, everything we could of asked for and more.

If we make the playoffs it’s because Brinsky gave us the scoring depth to cope with major injuries.

Whenever I think of a trade I remember @oilerbear and his take on the Karlsson trade. 7th OA plus 33 OA generates a star player less than 80% of the time.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I might still trade him if we can get decent value back, ideally a RHD is what we need, if he can be a piece used to land us that, great. I'd move Joseph first but you got to give to get.
If we can get a decent return for him or with him as part of a package I say do it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I have a hard time believing that we traded for DBC without a solid framework for how to sign him and fit him in. This was a trade to add a long term piece to the team, not a one season push to try and make the playoffs.

If DBC wants to stay, he will be added to the team for term. That’s my take.

You are assuming Dorion thinks through his moves in advance of making them.

Also he knows as well as anyone here that if the Sens were to fail to make the playoffs for 6 years in a row that he'd lose his GM job when new ownership comes in, and certainly never get another chance elsewhere with his god awful resume.

Only chance for him to stay in the GM job he lucked into would be to make significant short-term acquisitions and hope the team makes the playoffs because of it.

It's very possible DeBrincat was thought of as a likely 1 year rental. Dorion not even speaking to ADB about interest in an extension pre-trade says a lot.

Might look at moving Joseph for a dman

Keep Zub and The Cat

I don't know who's going to take on Joseph's contract. 3 million per for 3 more years for a mediocre 3rd line forward.

Maybe could get a cap dump defenseman in return, but then we'd need to find a new 3rd line RW.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Also he knows as well as anyone here that if the Sens were to fail to make the playoffs for 6 years in a row that he'd lose his GM job when new ownership comes in, and certainly never get another chance elsewhere with his god awful resume.

Only chance for him to stay in the GM job he lucked into would be to make significant short-term acquisitions and hope the team makes the playoffs because of it.

It's very possible DeBrincat was thought of as a likely 1 year rental. Dorion not even speaking to ADB about interest in an extension pre-trade says a lot.

I don't know who's going to take on Joseph's contract. 3 million per for 3 more years for a mediocre 3rd line forward.

Maybe could get a cap dump defenseman in return, but then we'd need to find a new 3rd line RW.

The senators didn't give up their top picks in an entire draft for a one year rental.

They traded for debincat to be a piece of the core. And they will sign him for better or worse because of it.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

the last rumour we heard seem to indicate that Ottawa was in talks with Cat about an extension

Dorion is an idiot but I don't think he made the deal without the thought of signing him.

The Sens have the cap space to keep Cat

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I doubt that Dorion makes a trade to get another decent center to replace Brassard; he will wait for Stutzle and hope Norris comes back in January. Luchini, Chartier are just temp fillers. The six 4th liners we have are: Brassard, Motte, Kastelic, Gambrell, Watson and Kelly.
I wouldnt mind seeing Kastelic get some shifts elevated in the lineup. He has shown some promise.

If we can get a decent return for him or with him as part of a package I say do it.
Me too but not because I think its smart I think its because he wont ever play for the sens again. They didnt support him in a difficult time and I am sure he wont forget if he is acquitted.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Might look at moving Joseph for a dman

Keep Zub and The Cat
Not sure that Joseph would return a good, 2nd pair RD.

Can't imagine any GM even Dorion not squeezing the trigger without thinking if Joseph is all that it took to land that RD.

Reactions: NB613

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I wouldnt mind seeing Kastelic get some shifts elevated in the lineup. He has shown some promise.

Me too but not because I think its smart I think its because he wont ever play for the sens again. They didnt support him in a difficult time and I am sure he wont forget if he is acquitted.
Didn't Scotty Bowmen used to set his lines with 2 set and then a changeable piece that could be moved to spark the line?
How would we set three lines like that?

Tkachuk - Stu - x
DeBrincat - Norris - x
X - Pinto - Joseph

If this was the start of the season.
That would give you Bath, G and Motte to move around? Maybe. I always liked this idea because you could have 3 guys around. You could, in theory, spend more on the 3rd line if you had the 3 changable guys around 3m.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
the last rumour we heard seem to indicate that Ottawa was in talks with Cat about an extension

Dorion is an idiot but I don't think he made the deal without the thought of signing him.

Of course they are talking to him but it was always a major longshot for him to stay in Ottawa and I don't think anything has changed in that regard.

I'm sure Dorion traded for him knowing the most likely scenario was trading him in the summer after essentially getting to rent him for a year.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Well, Cat won't be making $83.5 m next year, so that would be true.

The devil in the detail is what happens with the other 21 or 22 players they need to fit in.

Not a problem for those with powerful easy buttons though.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well, Cat won't be making $83.5 m next year, so that would be true.

The devil in the detail is what happens with the other 21 or 22 players they need to fit in.

Not a problem for those with powerful easy buttons though.
If the Senators sign Debrincat to Stutzle's contract, they will have about $12.6 m to sign 12 players (23 player roster) or 11 players (22 player roster).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If the Senators sign Debrincat to Stutzle's contract, they will have about $12.6 m to sign 12 players (23 player roster) or 11 players (22 player roster).
We'd certainly have to dump Zaitsev to make it work, Pinto is one of the guys that needs a new deal, Brannstrom too.

Oct 10, 2010

Can't see how they can build a cup contending team with that type of roster configuration? Forsberg and our D will be major problems while not having any space to improve those areas of need in a meaningful way.

Without major change i can't see them signing Cat long-term personally.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I guess. What I wonder given a pending sale if things might be different now? Also, will new owners do things differently when they are finally in place? Will they be more active in free agency for example?

Definetly the community will be appreacited and not shit on like it was during the Melnyck era. Just that change Will complely transform the culture and the buy in from fans

If Melnyck tried to blame and scapegoat the community for his shortcoming. RR and group will embrace and love the community for their support.

It’ll be a full 180

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I have a hard time believing that we traded for DBC without a solid framework for how to sign him and fit him in. This was a trade to add a long term piece to the team, not a one season push to try and make the playoffs.

If DBC wants to stay, he will be added to the team for term. That’s my take.

Exact same thing as Matt Duchene. Not a lot of thought went into it - or maybe its was on page 117 of the rebuild plan. Or maybe they just make it up as they go along. Hard to tell because the plan isn’t good and neither is the GM so it’s hard to figure out where the plan and just plain stupidity intersect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad