Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Thats very speculative. He has been a coach not a GM, he hasn't been on the management side. Id rather they hire him as a coach he would be perfect. He has no experience in contract negotiations.

I do like what Kent Hughes has done in Montreal. Terrific at maximizing assets. Someone from agency side would also be a great hire in my opinion.

Most of all having Alfie at the top from a culture perspective will create a trickle down effect.

From what's been said, Trotz has never really been a typical "coach". He's always been very involved in crafting the roster of his teams. Certainly was so in Nashville as they moved from expansion team to contender. There's a reason why all the teams he's coached end up with a similar look and feel.

I agree that Kent Hughes has done a great job. But he also had no experience in a GM role.

Negotiating contracts isn't as much about nuts and bolts and contract language (teams have cap and legal experts to support there, as do agents). It's a lot more about power and respect dynamics. I bet an agent would enter a negotiation with Trotz much differently than they'd enter a negotiation with Pierre Dorion. One guy is seen as a pillar in the NHL and winner, the other...

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
whatever position. I want Alfie involved in close contact with the young players. You guys read the Karlsson interview about Alfredsson?

Going into my rookie season in Ottawa, knowing the type of guy Alfie was made all the difference for me. I really mean that. If I’m being honest with you … I know I wouldn’t have become the player I am today without his help. I had a different style at the time than a lot of other NHL defensemen and it wasn’t everybody’s cup of tea. But Alfie knew me, he knew what I could do, what I wanted to do. And I don’t know exactly how he did it, but having him in my corner … he protected me, in a way. I was allowed to play my game. And I think that’s a huge part of why I found success quickly in Ottawa.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Based on BoG discussions in Florida, it looks like the salary cap will only rise $1 m next year. Its looking like some of those rosier roster projections are likely to die. I think what was said was that the revenue projection (or escrow pay back) is off by $70 m.

The other news was that there were "over 12" (what does that mean, 13?) consortiums that received the Senators financial disclosures.

1 mill this year was the initial projection by the nhl. The roster I made with DBC was for 23-24. It looks like the nhl is on target to have a larger increase the next two season after this one. Bettman said in Nov that the salary cap COULD rise to 4mill. But the initial projection was 1mill this year and two jumps the years after

This falls in line with Ottawa's plan too as we don't have to pay Sanderson till the salary jump comes

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
1 mill this year was the initial projection by the nhl. The roster I made with DBC was for 23-24. It looks like the nhl is on target to have a larger increase the next two season after this one. Bettman said in Nov that the salary cap COULD rise to 4mill. But the initial projection was 1mill this year and two jumps the years after

This falls in line with Ottawa's plan too as we don't have to pay Sanderson till the salary jump comes
The info and article I provided was from yesterday. It is the latest word as of just yesterday and what was discussed with owners during the BoG meetings in Florida.

I was only referring to what the article said about next year's salary cap. I guess I tend to think of this: “Yesterday is a cancelled check; tomorrow is a promissory note; today is the only cash you have - so spend it wisely.” Its always a risk versus reward proposition. If you run a business on the basis of what "might" happen at some time in the future, you might win, or you might lose.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Spezza
The info and article I provided was from yesterday. It is the latest word as of just yesterday and what was discussed with owners during the BoG meetings in Florida.

I was only referring to what the article said about next year's salary cap. I guess I tend to think of this: “Yesterday is a cancelled check; tomorrow is a promissory note; today is the only cash you have - so spend it wisely.” Its always a risk versus reward proposition. If you run a business on the basis of what "might" happen at some time in the future, you might win, or you might lose.
I am just talking about the part where you said the rosier roster projections will likely die but 1mill is actually what was already projected at the start of the year.

Bettman even said yesterday we could see the cap go to 87.5 depending on how fast the escrow is paid off which is line with what was said at the start of the year. It looks like things are going as planned

The calculation for the cap is set on various metrics that the league has a strong handle on.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Since the threads are closed, figured I'd post this here:

Same team as Chlapik & Nick Shore (ex-Sens) and a few other ex-NHLers (Tim Heed, Brandon McMillan). Benjamin Conz (former WJC star) is their backup goalie.

Reactions: Cosmix

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Same team as Chlapik & Nick Shore (ex-Sens) and a few other ex-NHLers (Tim Heed, Brandon McMillan). Benjamin Conz (former WJC star) is their backup goalie.

Man, how toxic is this guy that he had to sign with a bottom 3 team in the Swiss National League just to play "professional" hockey this year? Ooooof. Guy might never play in the NHL ever again.

Reactions: NB613

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Man, how toxic is this guy that he had to sign with a bottom 3 team in the Swiss National League just to play "professional" hockey this year? Ooooof. Guy might never play in the NHL ever again.
There could be many reasons why he'd sign there aside from being turned down by other teams.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021

Yes, you used my spreadsheet and changed some numbers and made some conclusive statements about the roster and the resulting total cap number.

I had done the same thing, and we came out with similar numbers. But, there were some key differences in messaging between you and I.

The difference was that I drew attention to the fact that there were numerous assumptions, whereas you were making proclamations that you had proven something.

And, if you understand the law of probabilities, when you make a prediction that requires multiple assumptions to become true, the conclusion that is reached more often than not does come true.

When it comes to trades, what a player will sign for, and that kind of thing, I'll leave the predictions and conclusive statements to those that ostensibly have a powerful easy button at their disposal. There can even be some risk about concluding what a future salary cap will be as we have seen very recently (yesterday's news).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Are you serious? Just more unbelievable stuff. What a connection to make. He is toxic because the team is bottom 3? There are import limitations contracts already established etc. Just a wild stretch to connect imaginary dots. Its the best league to go to from a lifestyle standpoint. He likely didnt want to go to the KHL with whats going on in Russia right now. What better league would there have been?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Alfie as President with help from the business side of things with an associate or assistant to the president perhaps?

Loved Alfie as a player but is he really the smartest guy or the most plugged in guy you could get to run things? I don't know. You want someone super smart who also knows who the other really smart guys around the league are.

Assen na yo!

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Yes, you used my spreadsheet and changed some numbers and made some conclusive statements about the roster and the resulting total cap number.

I had done the same thing, and we came out with similar numbers. But, there were some key differences in messaging between you and I.

The difference was that I drew attention to the fact that there were numerous assumptions, whereas you were making proclamations that you had proven something.

And, if you understand the law of probabilities, when you make a prediction that requires multiple assumptions to become true, the conclusion that is reached more often than not does come true.

When it comes to trades, what a player will sign for, and that kind of thing, I'll leave the predictions and conclusive statements to those that ostensibly have a powerful easy button at their disposal. There can even be some risk about concluding what a future salary cap will be as we have seen very recently (yesterday's news).
not sure what you are going on about

I was just stating that a 1 mill increase this year was always expected

this news doesn't change much

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I have a hard time believing that we traded for DBC without a solid framework for how to sign him and fit him in. This was a trade to add a long term piece to the team, not a one season push to try and make the playoffs.

If DBC wants to stay, he will be added to the team for term. That’s my take.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Are you serious? Just more unbelievable stuff. What a connection to make.
More? I think this is my first comment in the thread about Formenton.
There are import limitations contracts already established etc.
They can play 7 import players per game. None of the top teams have 1 import forward worse than Formenton???
Its the best league to go to from a lifestyle standpoint. He likely didnt want to go to the KHL with whats going on in Russia right now. What better league would there have been?
Sweden? Finland? I don't know, leagues a lot closer in competitiveness to the quality of the NHL than a bottom team in the Swiss League, lol. I think you're the only one making wild stretches here.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
More? I think this is my first comment in the thread about Formenton.

They can play 7 import players per game. None of the top teams have 1 import forward worse than Formenton???

Sweden? Finland? I don't know, leagues a lot closer in competitiveness to the quality of the NHL than a bottom team in the Swiss League, lol. I think you're the only one making wild stretches here.
Swiss is right there with those leagues and allow more imports. What wild stretch did I make? You are the one calling out the players character based on the team he signed with. I guess that makes anyone that signs with the sens toxic too.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Swiss is right there with those leagues and allow more imports. What wild stretch did I make? You are the one calling out the players character based on the team he signed with. I guess that makes anyone that signs with the sens toxic too.
The f*** are you talking about lol?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I have a hard time believing that we traded for DBC without a solid framework for how to sign him and fit him in. This was a trade to add a long term piece to the team, not a one season push to try and make the playoffs.

I think it also depends on whether the Senators are willing and able to pay the salary that Debrincat wants for the term he wants.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think it also depends on whether the Senators are willing and able to pay the salary that Debrincat wants for the term he wants.
Well sure, but they had to expect it would be around his QO number regardless. I doubt he’s going to surprise them.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Glad to see that he will be playing hockey this season. Hopefully the London Police complete their review soon and announce their actions to be taken, if any. That is what is delaying the NHL from releasing their review because it cannot be completed until the London Police complete theirs.

I also wonder if Hockey Canada will be getting their cash back that they paid in the NDC.

Well sure, but they had to expect it would be around his QO number regardless. I doubt he’s going to surprise them.
The "surprise" could be that Debrincat wants to play in the USA.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

That's naive.

Dorion is human, and as a human, he knew that the team was going to have new ownership and it was important for his job security to have a big season. It'd be more difficult to make a change at GM if the team made, or almost made the playoffs. Despite what we say on this board, he's not an idiot.

Heck, anyone who watched "Welcome to Wrexham" would know this. In the show, after they closed on the purchase of the team (with only part of the season left), it was brought to the attention of Ryan Reynolds (our future owner) and Rob McElhenney that there were concerns/rumors amongst the players and coaches about the change and their job security. Their answer? "Go out and win. If you win, it'll be hard to make changes to a winning team. Why would you?"

That's how it works. So Dorion very well knew he had to win.

In Wrexham, the team didn't win. So there were big changes the second the season ended.

Debrincat was an acquisition to help that push this year. The hope was that being part of an ascendant, winning team would convince him to stay. But there likely was no long-term plan beyond that. How could there have been? Debrincat said himself that no one from the Senators talked to him or his agent prior to the trade. It's hard to have a "solid framework" when the guy who actually needs to make the decision is not involved in putting together that framework.

Maybe it turns around, but at this point, it's hard to predict Dorion being part of the plan with new ownership. So it'll be up to the new GM to make that decision, and it's not inconceivable that they'd want to spend the ~8M in a different manner.

The sunk cost fallacy won't exist with new ownership and management.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
That's naive.

Dorion is human, and as a human, he knew that the team was going to have new ownership and it was important for his job security to have a big season. It'd be more difficult to make a change at GM if the team made, or almost made the playoffs. Despite what we say on this board, he's not an idiot.

Heck, anyone who watched "Welcome to Wrexham" would know this. In the show, after they closed on the purchase of the team (with only part of the season left), it was brought to the attention of Ryan Reynolds (our future owner) and Rob McElhenney that there were concerns/rumors amongst the players and coaches about the change and their job security. Their answer? "Go out and win. If you win, it'll be hard to make changes to a winning team. Why would you?"

That's how it works. So Dorion very well knew he had to win.

In Wrexham, the team didn't win. So there were big changes the second the season ended.

Debrincat was an acquisition to help that push this year. The hope was that being part of an ascendant, winning team would convince him to stay. But there likely was no long-term plan beyond that. How could there have been? Debrincat said himself that no one from the Senators talked to him or his agent prior to the trade. It's hard to have a "solid framework" when they guy who actually needs to make the decision is not involved in putting together that framework.

Maybe it turns around, but at this point, it's hard to predict Dorion being part of the plan with new ownership. So it'll be up to the new GM to make that decision, and it's not inconceivable that they'd want to spend the ~8M in a different manner.

its possible to keep DBC, give Zub 5mill and also get another defensemen. Esp with Formenton probably out the door it actually makes a lot more sense to give that money to give DBC a raise

They def have intention to keep him and have probably added him to the budget. Giroux is a short term solution and will be off the books thats when DBC value will be awesome. Its actually a good setup that we have in the top 6

Reactions: Ice-Tray
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad