Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So you would replace Hamonic in our top 4 by a bottom pairing D on a much worse defensive team. If Schenn had to be overslotted like Hamonic I think the results would be disastrous.

Ideally, Luke Schenn would be on my 3rd pairing but what can I do? I am not the GM of this team. You already know my analysis about Dorion's work...

Also, you realize that Hamonic is carried by a 20 y/o rookie? He would pretty bad on his own, for example, imagine if like Brannstrom in the past, he had to play with a guy like Josh Brown

I do like his effort though, he's a warrior

Schenn keeps things simple and is quite physical/though, something we clearly lack

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Rather not get Schenn but at least he is somewhat mean.

Hamonic is the worst kind of defensive d. soft, losing a step, and bad defensively.
Hamonic is neither “bad defensively”, nor “soft”.

He has lost a step since his prime, certainly, but he is still and effective bottom pairing NHL defender who is playing a spot higher than would be most effective for him.

We could do much worse.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Rather not get Schenn but at least he is somewhat mean.

Hamonic is the worst kind of defensive d. soft, losing a step, and bad defensively.
Hamonic isn't soft, he took that stick to the face from Chabot like a champ, and got right back into the game after getting a puck to the throat, you can certainly argue he could be more physical, but soft? That's a pretty questionable take.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

He has lost a step since his prime, certainly, but he is still and effective bottom pairing NHL defender who is playing a spot higher than would be most effective for him.

We could do much worse.
So many players would have gotten less hate here had they been slotted where they can actually play up to. Hamonic is the perfect example imo. Suited for a 3rd pairing and injury top 4 fill in and I'm sure he'd do just fine.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So many players would have gotten less hate here had they been slotted where they can actually play up to. Hamonic is the perfect example imo. Suited for a 3rd pairing and injury top 4 fill in and I'm sure he'd do just fine.
There’s that, for sure, or you know, people could just be better people… Sadly, hating on things is just normal now, like me shaking my fists at clouds and kids on my lawn…. Lol

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

We could do much worse.

Hamonic isn't soft, he took that stick to the face from Chabot like a champ, and got right back into the game after getting a puck to the throat, you can certainly argue he could be more physical, but soft? That's a pretty questionable take.
I'm looking at it from a different angle.

his decision making/aggressiveness/ mental game is soft. Like when he is on the ice he's playing reactive not from instincts. He is just surviving as an every day NHLer and he knows it. like when Phillips started pointing at everything instead of actually playing D.

There are zero players in the NHL who would be scared of gaining the zone against Hamonic, instead they would relish it. That to me for a "defensive" defenceman is soft as f***.

and yea he is played in a situation above his level, but he also gets paid 3m.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
There’s that, for sure, or you know, people could just be better people… Sadly, hating on things is just normal now, like me shaking my fists at clouds and kids on my lawn…. Lol
Don't step in to the kitchen if you can't take the heat, as they say. It is pro sports and the anonymity of the internet, so uh, good luck with that I guess?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

his decision making/aggressiveness/ mental game is soft. Like when he is on the ice he's playing reactive not from instincts. He is just surviving as an every day NHLer and he knows it. like when Phillips started pointing at everything instead of actually playing D.

There are zero players in the NHL who would be scared of gaining the zone against Hamonic, instead they would relish it. That to me for a "defensive" defenceman is soft as f***.

Interesting perspective, but I disagree with this angle completely as well.

No one “relishes” gaining the zone against Hammy. He’s not terrifying or anything, but this is just a super weird take.

It’s like you’ve confused Hammy with Branny with your new take on the definition of “soft”.

Reactions: aragorn

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Don't step in to the kitchen if you can't take the heat, as they say. It is pro sports and the anonymity of the internet, so uh, good luck with that I guess?
Again, a deflection (not making it personal to you).

I’m not going to change things, nor try. Rather I’m making a comment about people. “That’s just the way it is” isn’t really an excuse for questionable behaviour as we all know.

The idea that people ‘deserve’ shitty behaviour based on their job is a strange take to double down on in my opinion. Though in truth it’s always a struggle for humans en mass to strive to be better.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Interesting perspective, but I disagree with this angle completely as well.

No one “relishes” gaining the zone against Hammy. He’s not terrifying or anything, but this is just a super weird take.

It’s like you’ve confused Hammy with Branny with your new take on the definition of “soft”.

They relish it because they know they are going up against an old, slow d-man who they have a good chance to walk. what nhler wouldn't want that?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

None of that is what is commonly understood when you refer to a player as soft, maybe find a different word to describe what you mean next time because using soft to describe what you're trying to convey just makes it very confusing for the average reader.

Reactions: aragorn

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
None of that is what is commonly understood when you refer to a player as soft, maybe find a different word to describe what you mean next time because using soft to describe what you're trying to convey just makes it very confusing for the average reader.

I guess.

And I mean I appreciate that he seems to be in pain all the time and playing through it.

But he is easy to play against, idk how else to describe that as but soft.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They relish it because they know they are going up against an old, slow d-man who they have a good chance to walk. what nhler wouldn't want that?
More exaggeration and hyperbole.

He’s not that old, and not that slow. His biggest issue is occasionally bobbling the puck at inoperative times

Here’s a secret that I’ll let you in on; every NHL defender gets walked at times, and fast players like Formy, can walk defenders often, no matter who they are, because they have speed to burn.

Guys don’t have a “good chance to walk” Hammy, I know this because I watch all of the Ottawa Senators games and it doesn’t happen to any defender much on any team to be honest, let alone Hamonic in particular.

Anyways, nothing is going to change here.

I guess.

And I mean I appreciate that he seems to be in pain all the time and playing through it.

Except he isn’t easy to play against.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Again, a deflection (not making it personal to you).

I’m not going to change things, nor try. Rather I’m making a comment about people. “That’s just the way it is” isn’t really an excuse for questionable behaviour as we all know.

The idea that people ‘deserve’ shitty behaviour based on their job is a strange take to double down on in my opinion. Though in truth it’s always a struggle for humans en mass to strive to be better.
We all have our moral compasses we choose to live by, so nothing wrong with your opinion on it. I've never been concerned about the criticism around wealthy figures in pro sports or the celebrity world, even in hyperbolic over the top terms, it's just part of the territory imo and part of the extreme pay and notoriety benefit makes up for it.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
More exaggeration and hyperbole.

He’s not that old, and not that slow. His biggest issue is occasionally bobbling the puck at inoperative times

Here’s a secret that I’ll let you in on; every NHL defender gets walked at times, and fast players like Formy, can walk defenders often, no matter who they are, because they have speed to burn.

Guys don’t have a “good chance to walk” Hammy, I know this because I watch all of the Ottawa Senators games and it doesn’t happen to any defender much on any team to be honest, let alone Hamonic in particular.

Anyways, nothing is going to change here.

Except he isn’t easy to play against.

his skating is okay for his age and size, but he is hockey iq slow, makes erratic decisions based on fear vs instinct.

he's very easy to play against especially for the role he is supposed to be bringing. he's being babysat by a 20 year old.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We all have our moral compasses we choose to live by, so nothing wrong with your opinion on it. I've never been concerned about the criticism around wealthy figures in pro sports or the celebrity world, even in hyperbolic over the top terms, it's just part of the territory imo and part of the extreme pay and notoriety benefit makes up for it.
I totally understand your perspective and I know it’s a pervasive one for sure.

To me it doesn’t really have much to do with the ‘wealthy’ or ‘famous’ person, but more about how we choose to govern our own behaviour, what someone else may or may not ‘deserve’ is not the deciding factor I guess you could say. In the end we still decide how we choose to engage with others.

I personally find it a bit of a slippery slope to have thresholds outside of direct personality or actions, that seem a person worthy of often brutal behaviour. It’s a class divide, divisive behaviour set for sure, and there is several millennia of terrible deeds to back that ingrained sentiment.

And just to be clear, I am guilty of this type of behaviour at times as well, which is why it makes me think.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think Hamonic is easy to play against, but definitely don't think he's soft. Even is he's not as good as before, he can hit hard af

Reactions: NB613

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
his skating is okay for his age and size, but he is hockey iq slow, makes erratic decisions based on fear vs instinct.

he's very easy to play against especially for the role he is supposed to be bringing. he's being babysat by a 20 year old.
Well, good chats, but we’ll have to disagree on this player at this time :)

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He's just shifting the goal posts now. Sad.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I totally understand your perspective and I know it’s a pervasive one for sure.

To me it doesn’t really have much to do with the ‘wealthy’ or ‘famous’ person, but more about how we choose to govern our own behaviour, what someone else may or may not ‘deserve’ is not the deciding factor I guess you could say. In the end we still decide how we choose to engage with others.

I personally find it a bit of a slippery slope to have thresholds outside of direct personality or actions, that seem a person worthy of often brutal behaviour. It’s a class divide, divisive behaviour set for sure, and there is several millennia of terrible deeds to back that ingrained sentiment.
There is a line for sure. It gets crossed on some social media sites where its practically harassment. I guess I just look at it like the standard judgement and a little teasing is part of the gig. They put themselves on a stage to be judged, good or bad, and the interest employs them. The insane pay would more than make up for it from my perspective, but obviously not everyone feels the same.

Hell, you could time to me to a pole butt ass naked in the town square in -30 and pelt me with rotten eggs and tomatoes for the kind of coin even a guy like Hamonic makes.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I haven't seen this proposal once on Cap Friendly

I'd take Schenn over Hamonic/Zaitsev but obviously not for Pinto

The one we constantly see is Myers for Zaitsev, some even suggest Ottawa should add a 2nd round pick lol

I wouldn't even do Myers for Zaitsev straight up. The only way I'd do it is if they retain at least 1.5 AAV and add a pick

But even then, we should just buyout Zaitsev instead

I don't know which is worse, this below or the eye test....

EwavGZwXEAAmo96
Buyout of Zaitsev is pointless, because of the signing bonus.

Reactions: Larionov

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There is a line for sure. It gets crossed on some social media sites where its practically harassment. I guess I just look at it like the standard judgement and a little teasing is part of the gig. They put themselves on a stage to be judged, good or bad, and the interest employs them. The insane pay would more than make up for it from my perspective, but obviously not everyone feels the same.

Hell, you could time to me to a pole butt ass naked in the town square in -30 and pelt me with rotten eggs and tomatoes for the kind of coin even a guy like Hamonic makes.
Hahaha, yeah I hear that. What’s frostbite and a few yolks for 3 million…..

To be honest this place is much more civil than typical social media, which I guess is part of the reason I still like coming here after all these years.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I guess.

@NyQuil suggested out of position and gaffe prone, that seems to capture the bulk of what you're getting at,

Soft is typically used for people that avoid contact, or are easily thrown off their game through physicality, guys that will bail on a play to avoid getting hit are soft, for example. I don't think that applies here. Hamonic engages physically, and isn't deterred by a physical forcheck. He doesn't execute well under pressure as he doesn't react quick enough though.

He's got flaws in his game no doubt, soft just isn't really one of them, at least not the traditional understanding of the term.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Hamonic is not the softest D nor player; however, I would like to have more physical players on D who hit hard and make the opposing forwards pay when they enter the D zone. I think Hamonic is good enough for a 3rd pair D and agree he is overpaid for that role. We are not getting the best value for our salary dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad