Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah....big guy hovering around 30 with a bad back and his retirement contract already signed? That is bad news any way you look at it.

Only way I see you bring in a player like that is for equal value cap dumps and a mid round pick or B prospect going the other way. Would not give anything of value for a guy we'd likely have to buy out or LTIR-retire in a couple years.

That said, I haven't watched Parynko, or seen his medicals. Issues might be overblown, but no way in hell I take the chance. Not when we don't have cap to spare (now or in the near future).

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It's almost hard to believe that a team would be willing to give us a quality NHL defenseman for JBD or Lassi Thomson. I would say that both are substantial longshots to have meaningful NHL careers, and odds are pretty good that the Senators would be waiving at least one of those two next fall.

Pretty much any player that's acquired to fill the vacancy in the top-4 is going to have warts. Teams just don't trade really good right-shot defenseman in their mid-20's on an excellent cap number. At some point they're going to have to take a swing on somebody.

I don't know if Parayko is necessarily the right choice but they will have to find somebody soon. They can't go into next season without having added somebody, and it's certainly evident that the solution is not going to come from within.
It’s cause they want to get under the deal without taking money back

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks Pierre shouldn't be making massive trades when he's in all likelihood getting canned before next season? Or at the very least by the end of the year.

I think it would be irresponsible of him/the board for us to give up high picks or our top prospects at this point.
Zaitsev is better than Parayko right now…
No I don’t think so

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Judging by Twitter and this board, I think a lot of Sens fans are waiting to acquire a player who simply doesn’t exist.

When guys like Peeke or Fabbro are suggested, the reaction is that they need someone who’s a proven top 4.

When guys like Weegar or Parayko are suggested, the reaction is that they’re too expensive and signed for too long.

The thing is that other teams are not trading proven top-4 RD signed to bargain contracts. We’re not getting Rasmus Andersson.

It’ll either be a young, cheap guy we hope can reach another level or an older, more expensive guy we hope doesn’t decline that fast. Everyone is destined to be disappointed.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Judging by Twitter and this board, I think a lot of Sens fans are waiting to acquire a player who simply doesn’t exist.

When guys like Peeke or Fabbro are suggested, the reaction is that they need someone who’s a proven top 4.

When guys like Weegar or Parayko are suggested, the reaction is that they’re too expensive and signed for too long.

The thing is that other teams are not trading proven top-4 RD signed to bargain contracts. We’re not getting Rasmus Andersson.

It’ll either be a young, cheap guy we hope can reach another level or an older, more expensive guy we hope doesn’t decline that fast. Everyone is destined to be disappointed.
I'd be happy to move on from the "make the D not awful" era

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

I know he isn't going to be NHL ready for another couple years, but having Korchinski as a prospect would have been nice. I guess the argument can be made he's another LD, but I would say he's projected to be better than Chabot. Maybe we could have gotten creative and put someone on RD.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Do you have any C available for Peeke?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Zack Ostapchuk is about the only one I think the team could move right now.

And likely would for Peeke. Is he actually possible available?
He is, I think.

Not because he’s bad or anything like that, but we need to move players to fix the whole at C (only been a problem for 20 years); with Jiricek coming next year as well we might be able to afford losing him. Is Ostapchuk’s ceiling a 2C? How does he compare to Grieg? Very jealous of Pinto too.

Reactions: Que

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I like both guys a lot but that's insane to me, do not trade list is for bluechip guys that are guaranteed to make an impact, neither of Kleven or Ostapchuk are that...

The only guys that should be untouchable are currently on the NHL roster, Sanderson, Greig, Pinto, Sogaard, even then Sanderson is probably the only truly untouchable guy.

To each their own I guess, but if trading Ostapchuk and Kleven is what it takes to land us a legit top 4 RHD that fits the core going forward you do that every day of the week.
Well, I already said that I wasn’t interested in trading either player, so perhaps you meant that YOU would do it every day of the week. That’s cool, you’re just not as high on the two as I am, it’s all good.

Personally I’d rather trade other assets that we have before trading either of those prospects.

I also find the idea of ‘legit top 4 RHD that fits the core going forward’ not much beyond hypothetical, since anyone that is available is not exactly a sure thing to be a long term top pair player, and we’ve seen excellent players traded for much less who can fill out a top 4 effectively. I have zero internet in paying a huge haul for EK, or Seth Jones etc…

I’d prefer a shrewd trade, I’m interested in a guy like Parayko for the rumoured cost to take his long deal instead, and I personally am not interested in trading either player, Kleven especially. I think both players have the makings to be key playoff players, and they will both be cheap for a long time.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Am I the only one who thinks Pierre shouldn't be making massive trades when he's in all likelihood getting canned before next season? Or at the very least by the end of the year.

I think it would be irresponsible of him/the board for us to give up high picks or our top prospects at this point.
No one is being treated like, or working as though, they are getting canned.

It’s just not a thing.

Here is a thing though, every member of the board is defiantly gone immediately, while it remains to be seen what happens to the hockey ops guys.

Nothing is going to be happening for a long while yet in terms of direct effect on the hockey team on the ice, so I’d prefer that the management and coaches continue to do their thing.

100 percent. I'm hopeful that the Board has been given, err, strong advice from the investment bankers and the league that there should be no major moves undertaken right now that could hurt or complicate the sale.
Lol, yes let’s have investment bankers run the team!

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Andrew Peeke
Connor Murphy
Brandon Carlo

All these players are big, defense first RD with cap hits under 5m.

I don’t know enough about them to compare or rank them but I hope we go for this type of player to round out the d corps and can fit under a cap that includes debrincat.

• Love
Reactions: NB613

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
He is, I think.

Not because he’s bad or anything like that, but we need to move players to fix the whole at C (only been a problem for 20 years); with Jiricek coming next year as well we might be able to afford losing him. Is Ostapchuk’s ceiling a 2C? How does he compare to Grieg? Very jealous of Pinto too.

I personally think Ostapchuk’s ceiling is a high end 3C, or defence minded 2C. Kinda like Rob Niedermayer. Maybe Hanzal as he does have more offensive flair.

Grieg grew up idolizing and playing like Giroux. They’re now on the same line at times. Might end up on the wing more like Gallagher.

Both should go on to have long, successful NHL careers - just different types of players. Of the two only Ostapchuk would be available, for locker room reasons.

Also wanted to add that Mateychuk is going to be be a gamer as well. Jarmo crushed that draft.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I actually think we're going to get a good player on a pretty good deal imo.

Between Chychrun, Parayko, and Weager - it sort of feels Iike a race to the bottom right now in some ways.

Obviously they will cost assets to acquire. And this isn't a free for all. But if you are one of those 3 teams with those players, and you really do want to shed those contacts. Now is not the time to play hardball. All of those contacts values can drop significantly after the TDL.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think the only way we end up with a 6.5 AAV contract on our D opening night this fall is if Chabot is moved and Brannstrom is elevated to a top 4 role.

Sanderson New Guy
Brannstrom Zub

DeBrincat signed.

• Haha
Reactions: guyzeur

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I really don't think the team believes in Brannstrom as an every day top 4 Dman.
You might be right about that, but I don't think we can do this:
DeBrincat @ 8
Chabot @8
New D [email protected]

You see all kinds of trade proposals on HF that look like this
Ottawa trades: all the bad contracts we don't want
Ottawa acquires: something of value that we do want

And it just doesn't work that way. Something has to give. We're tight against the cap next year.

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You might be right about that, but I don't think we can do this:
DeBrincat @ 8
Chabot @8
New D [email protected]

You see all kinds of trade proposals on HF that look like this
Ottawa trades: all the bad contracts we don't want
Ottawa acquires: something of value that we do want

And it just doesn't work that way. Something has to give. We're tight against the cap next year.
Agree on that, we need to sacrifice something unless they negotiate a smoother transition in the cap increases, I suspect they just might do that but we won't know till the BOG meet in June what the cap will officially be set at

My preference is to sort out the top 4 first, then fill out the wingers. We're set for centers which is great. I have faith in Sogaard in the long term but next year I think they'll want a more experienced tand than Forsberg (assuming double MCL isn't career ending) and a rookie.

Some tough decisions ahead, trading Chabot would be a gutsy move, whatever RHD we get would need to be pretty much a 1/2 guy if we go that route.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Agreed with this. I lean more towards peeke than I do towards parayko. There’s lots of guys playing smaller roles ready to flourish somewhere else and by flourish I mean play steady reliable hockey

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Do you have any C available for Peeke?
I could actually see Pinto being available although I'm sure many others would disagree. Maybe CLB has to add, not sure.

I think Pinto has a TON of value to a team who believes in him long-term. I think he could get locked up for 6-8yrs under 5mil, which Ottawa can't afford to give him, but a team like CLB could.

I am not 100% sure he will be a 2C, but his floor is probably an all-around 3C who PPs & PKs to the tune of about 40-50pts a year.

Why could I see Ottawa trading him?
1) High value
2) We're in a tough cap situation
3) Grieg & Ostapchuk looking like very likely top 9 fwds & are still on their ELCs for 2-3yrs

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Parayko is a great name that commands respect. But on the ice, he is not the same guy. The fact that they are literally giving him away is disconcerting.

If Ottawa were to do this deal, it may help short term, but they are better to keep looking. I can see Dorion forcing them to take Zaitsev along with a young defenceman

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
I don't think Chabot is going anywhere. Brannstrom top 4 D? Maybe, if we want to stay at the bottom of the conference. He is not Volchenkov so that we can be OK with him scoring 2 goals in 120 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad