Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd be fine with Dumba if he wanted to extend long term but not go past $6 million, but this is his last chance to cash out so his next deal he'll be looking for $7million at the least which just isn't worth it

I'd do this, heck if the yotes want a prospect like Boucher or Thomson, go ahead.
$6M for Dumba is too much. I don't want another old declining D on a pre-retirement contract.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I agree, I just listed him as a mediocre player who is paid way too much. Just pointing to the middle ground between people who say oh, he's an awesome top 4 guy and the others who call him one of the worst DMen in the league.

Chiarot is a guy you pay a 2nd round and/or 2.5-3.25m per year for.

I think Hamonic is a bit of a unique case in that he has a long history of being very picky about where he plays/wanting to play in Western Canada. Not to mention Dumba has much more offensive cache. Plus, as you mentioned, the Covid thing.

Also, while you are right that 3/4 are big DMen, 3/4 are also RHD and the 4th has played some RD. Big guys get overpaid... but so do RHD.

I don't hate Dumba, I think he has a chance of being a #4 again, I just dont see a world in which his salary wants and what we can afford to pay him jive.
Definitely better bottom pair guys that you don’t need to trade that much for. Or give that much money too. Bottom line. Florida f***ed themselves. And now he ain’t that good with Detroit either. And guess what he wasn’t good with mtl either. But he’s big and they had a Cinderella run to the cup final.

Reactions: bicboi64

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't see it personally, I mean, Klingberg was coming off much better offensive numbers and had to take a 1 year show me deal to shake off bad defensive reputation.

If dumba wants more than 6 mil he's going to have to accept that he won't get term with it, especially if they don't come to some sort of agreement to boost the cap more next year.

Nobody is giving him 6+ and term... Are they?
I can't see... he's been healthy scratched a few times

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I can't see... he's been healthy scratched a few times
Yeah, pretty much, I can't see him being a sought after commodity come UFA time. I guess the healthy scratches could have been potential trade related but he just hasn't been good enough to give him the benefit of the doubt.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Still think there's a deal to be made involving Chabot + bad contracts for Karlsson with some retention:

Chabot, Joseph, Zaitsev for Karlsson (20% retained)

Sharks get the younger D as a part of their rebuild/re-tool, at the cost of being worse in the present (benefit if they are trying to rebuild) and taking on a couple bad contracts.

Sens add the best D in the league in 2022/23 at the cost of a higher chance of regression given his older age, open up 6.25M in cap space to shore up the bottom 6 and add a competent defensive LD to play with Karlsson.

I wonder if adding Karlsson could help convince ADB to re-sign too.
I like your thinking. Get it done Dorion. Like Lebron going back to Cleveland, it just has to happen.

Reactions: bicboi64

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I doubt it. Might have to wait until the summer if new ownership and new management thinks it makes sense.

I think new management will want to see how well Chabot (and others) will play with an upgraded coaching staff. I'd tend to agree with them, even though I'm loving watching EK play these days.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think new management will want to see how well Chabot (and others) will play with an upgraded coaching staff. I'd tend to agree with them, even though I'm loving watching EK play these days.
What do you think EK is worth in a trade?

A late #1 draft pick (about 21-32)? A top 10 draft pick in 2023 (lottery protected)? A key assumption would be that the team getting him must pay 100% of his remaining contract ($11.5M for 4 years).

If SJ were to retain 50% of EK's salary and cap hit for the 4 years remaining on his contract, what draft picks would have to be added to the trade? A #1 draft pick in 2024? Two #2 draft pick in 2023 and 2024?

Two scouts at hawks yotes.
Ottawa Senator's scouts?

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
To Ottawa: Matt Roy
To LAK: Jakob Chychrun
To Arizona: Alex Turcotte/LAK 1st 2023 + Helge Grans + OTT 2nd 2023 + OTT 2nd 2024 + Pick/prospect from LA

Sens need a RD with size, Kings need a big upgrade at LD.

AZ apparently looking for the equivalent of two 1sts and a 2nd for Chychrun. A lot would depend on how they view Turcotte in this scenario, imo. Grans is a RD which fits a need in their system and then the two OTT 2nds roughly equal out to another late first (and gives more ammo to trade up if desired).

Might seem like a little much from the Sens at face value, but top-four D-men have gone for two 2nds in the past. Roy is also young enough that he'll be under 30 when his contract runs out and could possibly be re-upped for a small raise. Of all the speculated names at RD he's one of the biggest and likely the best.

I'd much rather slightly overpay for someone who will fill an actual hole instead of giving up a 3rd every few years for a Hamonic/Dumba type who are clearly on the downswing.
Matt Roy is UFA after next year. You're going to give up two 2nd rounders for a guy who can just walk to free agency?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
What do you think EK is worth in a trade?

A late #1 draft pick (about 21-32)? A top 10 draft pick in 2023 (lottery protected)? A key assumption would be that the team getting him must pay 100% of his remaining contract ($11.5M for 4 years).

If SJ were to retain 50% of EK's salary and cap hit for the 4 years remaining on his contract, what draft picks would have to be added to the trade? A #1 draft pick in 2024? Two #2 draft pick in 2023 and 2024?

Ottawa Senator's scouts?

If the Sharks take 50%? Seriously the sky is the limit then. He's having a historic season right now and 4 years isn't really that long. Would I even care that much about a $5.75M cap hit for 4 years? If I'm a playoff team that might have their window closing (eg. Pittsburgh, Toronto, Washington) and SJ will retain half I'd go all in on EK.

At that point I think he would fetch a 2023 1st, 2024 1st, A- prospect, 2024 2nd, 3rd or 4th line roster player.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I'd rather stay clear of Dumba and try to upgrade on Hamonic with someone younger.
I would rather acquire someone like Andrew Peeke (RFA) 25 in March from CBJ if we can get him cheap enough.
This. Our cap situation is too delicate and we need to find a value player who can slot in and simply play responsible minutes next to Sando or Chabot. Our pro scouts need to hit one out of the park like they did with Zub and find someone who is about to break out or someone who is under-utilized.

I can't speak to Peeke's game much but a guy like Marcus Bjork on CBJ would be a savvy grab. Perbix on TB would have been amazing. Cal Foote could work. Sean Durzi...

That or just go trade for Connor Murphy and be done with it. He is a perfect fit.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
You can’t always acquire guys on long beautiful contracts for a low price.
That doesn't mean you make irresponsible and desperate moves with your draft capital. Bringing in Roy for one season makes no sense as we will find ourself right back at square in 2024 with 2 fewer 2nd round picks (and possibly even Boucher if the other poster had his way).

I take Durzi and his contract / RFA status well before Roy. Every deal needs a contingency plan, that's good asset management. There is none with Roy, at least a cheap player with term can slot into the 3rd pair RD spot and shore that up, which is also a need.

So if you can't find the perfect fit (which I think is Connor Murphy) go after a good to ok contract with term, rely on pro scouting and if it doesn't work you slide him down to the third pair and start the search again. Better than getting a rental at a time when we shouldn't be getting rentals.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
That doesn't mean you make irresponsible and desperate moves with your draft capital. Bringing in Roy for one season makes no sense as we will find ourself right back at square in 2024 with 2 fewer 2nd round picks (and possibly even Boucher if the other poster had his way).

I take Durzi and his contract / RFA status well before Roy. Every deal needs a contingency plan, that's good asset management. There is none with Roy, at least a cheap player with term can slot into the 3rd pair RD spot and shore that up, which is also a need.

So if you can't find the perfect fit (which I think is Connor Murphy) go after a good to ok contract with term, rely on pro scouting and if it doesn't work you slide him down to the third pair and start the search again. Better than getting a rental at a time when we shouldn't be getting rentals.
When acquiring someone like Roy, it has to be under the assumption that you can extend him or there's no point. I hope if Dorion is going after someone like Roy, there's an offer or he might as well not try

Reactions: NB613

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
When acquiring someone like Roy, it has to be under the assumption that you can extend him or there's no point. I hope if Dorion is going after someone like Roy, there's an offer or he might as well not try
Agreed. So then you need to acquire him in the summer when you can get permission to speak to his agent about that. So proposing a trade for Roy now doesn't make sense.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Yeah acquiring the better more coveted player with the better contract status would be better. I ain’t gonna deny that.

I think we tried getting Connor Murphy already. Came close.

I personally don’t think we need ANY of these guys. None of these guys that will want to command over 3 million. Strong scouting should net us a decent d man that can help. We have three very strong d men. And brannstrom who is an effective bottom pairing d man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad