Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We have another 30 games to evaluate him, and he'd be playing in an easier role than center. It's not at all uncommon for players to come in on the wing in the top 6.

Not every player in the top 6 needs to be a stud, in fact, the vast majority of teams don't have that luxury. Playing young players in the top 6, particularly on the wing, is not at all uncommon.

At the sacrifice of our top 4, which has had real issues. Having Greig play LW still gives us depth at center, which was the real issue, not depth in general. It's much easier to sub in someone on the wing than at center.

Chychrun plays the wrong side and is injured all the time. He isn't the answer. We should be looking medium to long term not next season with any moves we make, trading Pinto or Greig puts us in a cap crunch while using DeBrincat opens up options to improve our depth beyond getting a top 4 RHD.

I'm good with keeping DeBrincat if we can make it work, but if it takes him to land a guy like Pesce it's worth it, we'd have one of the best top 4s in the league going forward imo, and have the depth up front to still be very good there. Improving the top 4 will make all 4 forward lines perform better at 5v5, it's a force multiplier.
We should have plenty of depth if we bring in a marino type and keep DBC while also keeping Greig and Pinto

The sens depth suffered this year from the poor move of moving Brown too early and Formenton and the HC stuff. Those are some massive losses

Depth is found through the draft and cheap UFA contracts like Motte

The sens shouldnt have a depth problem if you can fill in your bottom 6 with guys like Boucher Greig and Pinto

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yup
Joseph is not top 6 material
He's looked fine lately, his speed has opened things up for Stü and Brady to thrive and our 5v5 scoring has been much better since making the change.

The reality is duos are more important than the third piece on a line. I mentioned we should try Joseph with Tkachuk and Norris in the offseason to allow us to role 3 lines, and I still think spreading things out is the right move.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We should have plenty of depth if we bring in a marino type and keep DBC while also keeping Greig and Pinto

The sens depth suffered this year from the poor move of moving Brown too early and Formenton and the HC stuff. Those are some massive losses

The sens shouldnt have a depth problem if you can fill in your bottom 6 with guys like Boucher Greig and Pinto
Keeping Brown and Formenton does nothing to resolve the issue we had at center, center depth is far more important than Winger depth. Having Brown or Formenton or both still has us struggling to figure out a 2nd line center while Norris was out. DeBrincat and Giroux weren't enough to mitigate that loss, why would Brown change anything?

Your right, we can fill depth with signings like Motte, or drafted players like Crookshank, Sokolov, or Jarventie.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Megna went for a 4th, it would be nice to get some size on the back end. Mikkola is available too, he could be a good bottom pair option.

Really looks like we are targeting one of: Dumba, Roy/Walker, Karlsson, or Jones if the 3-way trade rumor is true

Reactions: gab6511 and Que

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
He's looked fine lately, his speed has opened things up for Stü and Brady to thrive and our 5v5 scoring has been much better since making the change.

The reality is duos are more important than the third piece on a line. I mentioned we should try Joseph with Tkachuk and Norris in the offseason to allow us to role 3 lines, and I still think spreading things out is the right move.

Joseph shouldn't be in the top-6 no matter how good the other two players on his line are.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Keeping Brown and Formenton does nothing to resolve the issue we had at center, center depth is far more important than Winger depth. Having Brown or Formenton or both still has us struggling to figure out a 2nd line center while Norris was out. DeBrincat and Giroux weren't enough to mitigate that loss, why would Brown change anything?

Your right, we can fill depth with signings like Motte, or drafted players like Crookshank, Sokolov, or Jarventie.
I mean Brown is an all situation forward that would probably be better on our 3rd line than Motte, letting Motte still play the PK.

Brown is better defensively than Cat and Giroux so having him would've given us more flexibility. Having said that, I agree about centre depth for the most aprt, but the issue with Brown for me was not using him in a piece for addressing D help

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Megna went for a 4th, it would be nice to get some size on the back end. Mikkola is available too, he could be a good bottom pair option.

Really looks like we are targeting one of: Dumba, Roy/Walker, Karlsson, or Jones if the 3-way trade rumor is true

What if it’s a three way trade between San Jose, Columbus and Ottawa with the Senators receiving Karlsson and Gavrikov?

A guy can dream… I do believe we’re pursuing a 3 way trade.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Joseph shouldn't be in the top-6 no matter how good the other two players on his line are.
Irrelevant of how good top 6 lines do with him on them...

Nope, what matters is how the team performs. If we do better by spreading the wealth then that's the right move, even if it means having a not so sexy player in "the top 6"

I care more about winning than how the top line looks on paper, sometimes having a dangerous third line does more to help the team than stacking up the top 6, it divides the attention of the defense and opens things up for everyone.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Once Klevens season is done they hope to give him a look, I'm interested to see how he does but don't expect much right off the bat.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Actually, I found the biggest problem was that during the regular season, the Refs/League enforced the rules about interference. You weren't allowed to body check someone after a dump in and prevent them from chasing the puck down. Ottawa destroyed the league when interference was removed. Destroyed all challengers. It was awesome. Then in the finals, the refs/league decided that interference was now allowed and body checks 90' from the puck were suddenly fair game. Dangerous hits to players without the puck were allowed. Pronger got a 1 game suspension? Seriously? That series still pisses me off because the league changed the entire game to benefit Anaheim. It was a joke. Not that I'm carrying a grudge...
That's pretty much the way I remember it too

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Red Wings Filip Hronek RD is signed for 2 more yrs at $4.4 mil, not sure if he would be available, but Detroit is a team that is selling at the deadline. Also not sure what it would cost to get him, but I would assume he might be cheaper than Dumba he's been better offensively than Dumba for the past 3 seasons. The only problem I see with Hronek means another small D on a team that already has too many soft D. Maybe Brannstrom or Thomson can go the other way as part of a package.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Keeping Brown and Formenton helps our overall depth which is what you said you wanted to fix by trading DBC and his money.

Pinto not being ready for a top 6 role which many were pushing him to be in that spot when Norris went down should probably teach us a lot about how hard it is to be productive in the NHL as a center at this level.

If we keep DBC and keep Pinto and Greig on the 3rd line that gives us solid depth going into the next season if we have injuries be it at wing or down the middle.

trading DBC doesn't help our depth

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Actually, I found the biggest problem was that during the regular season, the Refs/League enforced the rules about interference. You weren't allowed to body check someone after a dump in and prevent them from chasing the puck down. Ottawa destroyed the league when interference was removed. Destroyed all challengers. It was awesome. Then in the finals, the refs/league decided that interference was now allowed and body checks 90' from the puck were suddenly fair game. Dangerous hits to players without the puck were allowed. Pronger got a 1 game suspension? Seriously? That series still pisses me off because the league changed the entire game to benefit Anaheim. It was a joke. Not that I'm carrying a grudge...
that Anaheim team was ridiculously stacked

how many HHOF are gonna be from that team

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
What if it’s a three way trade between San Jose, Columbus and Ottawa with the Senators receiving Karlsson and Gavrikov?

A guy can dream… I do believe we’re pursuing a 3 way trade.

Yeah right now I can only think a 3-way trade is to either help a team get Chychrun (MIN, LA, BOS) or to help with cap (Karlsson, Jones)

We have also scouted MIN, LA, SJS, and CHI

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pretty sure the long break didn't help either
Nope.( By which I mean I agree)

They were also a bad Matchup for us, elite defensive team that was physical vs an offensive juggernaut that was top heavy.

I thought Detroit outplayed them in the west and deserved a better fate. Pronger should have been suspended for longer too imo, particularly since he'd been suspended for a dirtyhit the previous round. Us not taking advantage of the suspension to Pronger really sealed our fate.

Reactions: bicboi64

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Nope.( By which I mean I agree)

They were also a bad Matchup for us, elite defensive team that was physical vs an offensive juggernaut that was top heavy.

I thought Detroit outplayed them in the west and deserved a better fate. Pronger should have been suspended for longer too imo, particularly since he'd been suspended for a dirtyhit the previous round. Us not taking advantage of the suspension to Pronger really sealed our fate.
At the end of the day, we can come up with all the excuses we want but they had two HoF defencemen in their primes. That's tough to beat.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
At the end of the day, we can come up with all the excuses we want but they had two HoF defencemen in their primes. That's tough to beat.
Sure, which is why we needed to win that game with Pronger out. Win that game and we're up 2-1 in the series and riding a high, instead were down 2-1 and deflated

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
When has a player of DBC caliber been required to get a number 4 defensemen?

I don't see it as a DBC or a top 4 D. I see it as our gm needs to start making a move when there are obvious players available and not try to do it mid season

Marino, Graves, Toews, Dhillon all went for less.
I’m not sure if you’ve been following the Devils but the bloom has been falling off the rise in terms of Marino. He had a great start but is looking more and more like a 3rd pair Dman as the season progresses. What top 4 RHD do you propose we target this summer that only costs a couple 2nd round picks and fits in under the cap ?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Yeah our third line looks like it’s gonna be greig pinto and Joseph. What more depth could we want?

I’m not sure if you’ve been following the Devils but the bloom has been falling off the rise in terms of Marino. He had a great start but is looking more and more like a 3rd pair Dman as the season progresses. What top 4 RHD do you propose we target this summer that only costs a couple 2nd round picks and fits in under the cap ?
Well looks like he’s been out of the lineup since Dec 20th.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Based off what metrics? He's still doing what he was signed to do, playing quality shut down defense. He's still 2nd in ice time on their D core and the Devils are firmly in a playoff spot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Keeping Brown and Formenton helps our overall depth which is what you said you wanted to fix by trading DBC and his money.

Pinto not being ready for a top 6 role which many were pushing him to be in that spot when Norris went down should probably teach us a lot about how hard it is to be productive in the NHL as a center at this level.

If we keep DBC and keep Pinto and Greig on the 3rd line that gives us solid depth going into the next season if we have injuries be it at wing or down the middle.

trading DBC doesn't help our depth
Again, our issue was the top 6 couldn't score 5v5, some extra depth in the bottom six might help a bit but it doesn't resolve the real issue.

We can make solid lines without DeBrincat, and it's important to note that cap room this season is not the same as next, DeBrincat will command a raise next year, as will Brown, Formenton would have as well, so moving DeBrincat allows us to deal with overall depth moving forward which wouldn't be as possible keeping him. That might mean improving the bottom pair, or adding better depth than PTO signings as our 13th forward.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

We have Giroux, Stutzle, Norris and Pinto to play at Center. How many do you need? ,

Not having Formenton and Brown does effect us in a big way! It also doesn't help that Joseph and Motte have been out of the lineup for extended period of time. Not to mention, Pinto being moved up to the 2nd line, when he wasn't clearly ready for it just yet

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We have Giroux, Stutzle, Norris and Pinto to play at Center. How many do you need? ,

Not having Formenton and Brown does effect us in a big way! It also doesn't help that Joseph and Motte have been out of the lineup for extended period of time. Not to mention, Pinto being moved up to the 2nd line, when he wasn't clearly ready for it just yet
If Giroux was still able to play center, don't you think that would have been the first move after Norris went down?

Given they over slotted Pinto into the 2C role, either they're complete idiots or Giroux no longer moves well enough to play center. I'm going with the latter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad