Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
While I think it's possible that Kleven could replace Brannstrom in that 3rd LD spot at some point I doubt something like that ever gets mentioned to agents. They will see sooner or later where Kleven is in his development & whether he will need time in Belleville or not. The other point of contention here will be the numbers game & how many one way contracts they have & that might force Kleven to Belleville until they can make roster room. If Kleven is sent to Belleville that could give Brannstrom a little more time before that's Kleven's spot for good, I think it's inevitable.
Not inevitable if Brannstrom changes from LD to RD and continues to develop and play well. :)

How do I mute threads. I would like to mute the debrincat one

I would take either but I think we do really need someone like them. (Or just them) to allow the kids to play a liiiiiiittttllleee more on the edge.
Particularly in the playoffs. Plus protection and deterrent to other teams' taking advantage of our smaller and skilled players.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
wait for goalies to pop up in the summer

Samsonov was a random guy that became avaliable. Husso too was a good pickup by DET

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Id love to get Reaves in the offseason.

This could be the sens next season if were extremely lucky. (could this fit under the salary cap I didnt do the math probably not)

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Debrincat Stutzle Giroux
Formenton Pinto Joseph
Greig Kastelic Reaves
Kelly Gambrell Sokolov

Sanderson Zub
Chabot Brannstrom
Chychrun Hamonic
Kleven JBD

Varlamov
Forsberg
Soogard
Might have to trade Joseph to pay Formenton and hope Reaves will take less than $1.75M. We could have had Reaves for a late draft pick this past season when NYR traded him. Dorion failed to act.

wait for goalies to pop up in the summer

Samsonov was a random guy that became avaliable. Husso too was a good pickup by DET
Improving the play of our forwards in the D zone will help immensely and make our current goalies look much better. Gustavsson is an example of what can happen to a goaltender's stats if he plays for a strong defensive oriented and well coached team.

Reactions: Yak, HSF and bert

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not inevitable if Brannstrom changes from LD to RD and continues to develop and play well. :)

Particularly in the playoffs. Plus protection and deterrent to other teams' taking advantage of our smaller and skilled players.
We'll see, it really all depends on Kleven & whether he can handle the NHL speed & quick decision making process. Chabot, Chychrun, Chabot, Zub IMO would be the top 4 & everyone else fighting for that last pairing.
What will they do with JBD for next season given his waiver exemption will be over, the same will apply to Thomson the yr after. Guennette is getting better every yr & then there is that wild card in Sweden Nordberg if he ever comes over & Donovan when he turns pro soon. Brannstrom is in tough IMO, but he has managed to hang on this long so you never know. Enjoy the game tonight.

Reactions: Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We'll see, it really all depends on Kleven & whether he can handle the NHL speed & quick decision making process. Chabot, Chychrun, Chabot, Zub IMO would be the top 4 & everyone else fighting for that last pairing.
What will they do with JBD for next season given his waiver exemption will be over, the same will apply to Thomson the yr after. Guennette is getting better every yr & then there is that wild card in Sweden Nordberg if he ever comes over & Donovan when he turns pro soon. Brannstrom is in tough IMO, but he has managed to hang on this long so you never know. Enjoy the game tonight.
JBD and Thomson don't really come close to Brannstrom at this point. Now that the team is actually starting to play guys on their offside JBD might be in tough

I think Kleven starts in the AHL like JBD did and we go from there next year. JBD can be kept around as an extra if injury occurs.

The big wildcard would be if Branny asks to be moved or something like the rumours around Sandin when he didnt want to sign

Reactions: aragorn

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Branny is coming along nicely, and Kleven on paper looks like a great fit. They both have experience playing their off wings. The size and play style could be magical.

Its certainly been a pair that I have been wanting to see sooner than later, and definitely before we give up on Branny. Maybe Thomson puts it together and can be that offensive threat down the road, or JBD? But either way we need 7 guys to start on the roster, and that means that one of the two RD at least will get a look, if we keep Hammy.

Branny is not a luxury we have to give up at the moment.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kleven feels like he'd eventually replace what Hamonic is currently providing, but it's going to be tough to run with 5 LHD...

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Zub
Kleven-Brannstrom
JBD/Thomson

I get the feeling we don't re-sign Hamonic. JBD and Thomson are waivers eligible next year, I figure they are our 6 and 7 to start the year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Kleven feels like he'd eventually replace what Hamonic is currently providing, but it's going to be tough to run with 5 LHD...

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Zub
Kleven-Brannstrom
JBD/Thomson

I get the feeling we don't re-sign Hamonic. JBD and Thomson are waivers eligible next year, I figure they are our 6 and 7 to start the year.
I think Hamonic would want to stay.. issue for him will be term. I think the Sens would be very open to a one year team friendly deal. At 32 that probably isn't what Hamonic is looking for. He could be moved pretty readily if the numbers are right but term will be a stumbling block .. if he is looking for a 3 + year kind of contract.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think Hamonic would want to stay.. issue for him will be term. I think the Sens would be very open to a one year team friendly deal. At 32 that probably isn't what Hamonic is looking for. He could be moved pretty readily if the numbers are right but term will be a stumbling block .. if he is looking for a 3 + year kind of contract.
Agree, Hammer is really liked, and be fine on a third pair, 1 year is likely out though on his mind.

Reactions: Yak

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Sens would need him to sign for a million to fit him in. Don't think he goes for that. We can't really pay him 3mill to have him on the bottom pair

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't mind the idea of Hamonic getting re-signed, I just feel like they will go another route

I am curious about the orgs feelings on Thomson, I have never been very high on him but he seems to have fallen off a cliff this year.

Maybe a new coach breaths new life into Thomson and JBD's careers

Reactions: Yak

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't mind the idea of Hamonic getting re-signed, I just feel like they will go another route

I am curious about the orgs feelings on Thomson, I have never been very high on him but he seems to have fallen off a cliff this year.

I think Hamonic does get signed for another yr or two at less money as Holden was, he has done everything asked of him including protecting Sanderson which was very much needed. I think Thomson is still waiver exempt next yr & it's just JBD who isn't on defence & if that is the case JBD would replace Holden on the roster as a 7th D since I think he will not return. Hamonic could be a mentor for Kleven as well if Kleven makes the lineup, but unless they move Brannstrom I think Kleven starts in Belleville next season, of course that could change as the season progresses. They could also add a vet D over the summer, who knows, they have a few options. Enjoy the game tonight.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Chychrun
Brannstrom - Hamonic/JBD

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Mann had always been very complimentary of JBD and I think his assessments of Lassi have been on the mark and honest. Lassi has the athleticism and tools and can look very good in spurts .. maybe he battles consistency and has been reportedly hard on himself. His decision making has been questioned. I think Guenette has a chance to pass them. I've liked JBD as more of a defense first Dman but his skating/quickness/mobility may hold him back. I like Mann's candidness and his regular spots on 1200 giving us a sense of where these players were at. That may have been part of his undoing here. Bell seems way more reserved and close lipped so that lends to my theory as well. I have not watched nearly as much BSens this year as in past years so I can't give myself or anyone else a more in depth read on how Guenette is progressing. He is getting PP reps .. and is responding with more pts but I don't know how rock solid he is defensively. I think JBD and Heatherington get the heavy lifting defensive roles.

Reactions: Yak and DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Mann had always been very complimentary of JBD and I think his assessments of Lassi have been on the mark and honest. Lassi has the athleticism and tools and can look very good in spurts .. maybe he battles consistency and has been reportedly hard on himself. His decision making has been questioned. I think Guenette has a chance to pass them. I've liked JBD as more of a defense first Dman but his skating/quickness/mobility may hold him back. I like Mann's candidness and his regular spots on 1200 giving us a sense of where these players were at. That may have been part of his undoing here. Bell seems way more reserved and close lipped so that lends to my theory as well. I have not watched nearly as much BSens this year as in past years so I can't give myself or anyone else a more in depth read on how Guenette is progressing. He is getting PP reps .. and is responding with more pts but I don't know how rock solid he is defensively. I think JBD and Heatherington get the heavy lifting defensive roles.
Can't say I've watched enough BSens to really judge but I do tend to agree with most of what you're saying.

Last interview I remember Mann doing, I seem to recall him saying he believes both JBD and Thomson will be NHL players, not sure if that's him being optimistic or what but I've always seen JBD as a likely bottom pair guy, I think he's mobile enough, my only worry was strength along the boards, if he doesn't put on some strength he'll need to learn to be more effective using the strength he has.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Should we try to bring back Talbot on a 1 year deal? How high would we go in that case? I doubt a 1 year deal would be that enticing to him, but it depends on what the market offers him as well.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
JBD and Thomson don't really come close to Brannstrom at this point. Now that the team is actually starting to play guys on their offside JBD might be in tough

I think Kleven starts in the AHL like JBD did and we go from there next year. JBD can be kept around as an extra if injury occurs.

The big wildcard would be if Branny asks to be moved or something like the rumours around Sandin when he didnt want to sign
DJ hates Thomson and JBD and has ruined their development. JBD should have been playing ahead of a plug like Holden.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Term but also AAV will be issues.

I suspect Hamonic will want more and get more from another team than the Senators will be able to afford to pay due to cap issues. The salary retained dollars next year are going to really hurt.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Should we try to bring back Talbot on a 1 year deal? How high would we go in that case? I doubt a 1 year deal would be that enticing to him, but it depends on what the market offers him as well.
We have one injured goaltender already with an NHL contract in Forsberg. Talbot at his age seems to be injury prone now and declining. Too much risk in signing Talbot.

Should have kept Gustavsson.

We might need to spend low salary on a goaltender next season and one of Ferguson or Sogaard may be it.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Imo we ride Forsberg and Soogard. Meri and Mando in Belleville. Talbot wants more than a year.

With a new head coach, we will have much better defensive structure (ie - forwards back checking, defence not chasing). A full year with our high quality top 6 D, will allow us to better transition puck out of our zone. These combined will make the goalies look a TON better and lessens need to trade significant assets to get a goalie.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
We have one injured goaltender already with an NHL contract in Forsberg. Talbot at his age seems to be injury prone now and declining. Too much risk in signing Talbot.

Should have kept Gustavsson.

We might need to spend low salary on a goaltender next season and one of Ferguson or Sogaard may be it.
Imo we ride Forsberg and Soogard. Meri and Mando in Belleville. Talbot wants more than a year.

With a new head coach, we will have much better defensive structure (ie - forwards back checking, defence not chasing). A full year with our high quality top 6 D, will allow us to better transition puck out of our zone. These combined will make the goalies look a TON better and lessens need to trade significant assets to get a goalie.
Very fair points.

Personally, I feel like Forsberg should have been treated like the #1 goalie from the get-go. He plays a lot like Anderson and needs to get those consistent starts to develop a good rhythm. DJ would always shove Talbot back into the crease, regardless of how Forsberg played.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Riding Forsberg and Sogaard is basically asking to miss the playoffs again next year.

Reactions: Bileur

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Riding Forsberg and Sogaard is basically asking to miss the playoffs again next year.

I think this tandem can give us average goaltending honesty.

We need a true number one but I don’t see how that’s gonna be possible. Limited names available, limited cap space, and not many grade A assets left to trade.

Reactions: NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad