Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Given how the Formenton situation unfolded this summer/fall, I suspect he won't play in a senators jersey again. That's not to say he won't play in the NHL. Management had their reasons for why they handled it in the manner that they did and we may never know why but I can't imagine Formenton's camp was too happy.
True, however with new ownership and management he may consider it.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
But does our relative competitiveness increase?

The cap goes up for everyone.
Unless Chabot severely declines, i think he'll be fine for $8 million if the cap increases. This is assuming Chychrun and Sanderson both make him redundant. I think Chabot as a luxury would be fine for $8 million and not mess with our competitiveness, but ideally he regains 55pt form

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I really wish the cap goes up the way some people think it will. Eliminates the need to have to move anyone lol

Hoping we see another gear of Chabot or even his play of his 55pt season.
We don’t need to move anyone as is to keep the roster intact. We get a lot of relief in 24-25 as well with some of the dead cap off the books.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Formenton is already clear as no player has been convicted of any crime at this time. I hope he signs with the Sens for next season.

Kastelic is improving and using his body more now. I want to see him become a more physically imposing player and hit harder and more often.

Greig may need more time to mature and I agree he will likely be called up sometime next season.

I expect Pinto to get better and start playing a more physical game too. Pinto seems a bit slow to me so I would like to see him increase his speed.
The Formenton situation is interesting. It's been about 9 months since the HC thing blew open.

The NHL investigated - not that it matters

The police re-opened the case. Interviewed everyone again. Why have they not charged anyone? Given the political turmoil why hasn't this been swiftly dealt with?

It's quite possible that there isn't sufficient grounds to charge anyone

I suppose it's also possible that the players leadership group tells mgmt that they don't want him in the room

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Formenton situation is interesting. It's been about 9 months since the HC thing blew open.

The police re-opened the case. Interviewed everyone again. Why have they not charged anyone? Given the political turmoil why hasn't this been swiftly dealt with?

I suppose it's also possible that the players leadership group tells mgmt that they don't want him in the room
The bar for charging and getting a conviction on someone in a case like this is pretty high, the police may have a complete picture of what happened, and still feel like they wouldn't be able to get a conviction, not because the accused didn't do what they are accused of but because consent is such a difficult thing to prove beyond reasonable doubt.

As a point of comparison, the CAF has had some of its members released under similar circumstances, more times than I'm sure they like to admit, though I suppose one is too many. What is important to note is that not all the guys release were convicted criminally, the bar is much higher for losing your freedom than it is for losing your job, as it should be imo.

Now, there are things that will get you kicked out of the Forces, that wouldn't get you blacklisted from the NHL, so I'm not saying the standard is or should be the same, but I'm hesitant to say no charges means no repercussions.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If the LPC closes the investigation and the NHL investigation shows no culpability then Formenton may be deemed to have served his penance. At that point it will be an ownership decision likely followed by a discussion with team leadership. If all checks out I’d love to bring him back.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If the LPC closes the investigation and the NHL investigation shows no culpability then Formenton may be deemed to have served his penance. At that point it will be an ownership decision likely followed by a discussion with team leadership. If all checks out I’d love to bring him back.
Ya, I'd like to have him back too. I was just thinking there's a possibility that team leadership in the room says no thanks

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ya, I'd like to have him back too. I was just thinking there's a possibility that team leadership in the room says no thanks
Considering he was living with Norris when he packed up and left for Europe…not sure they would view him as a bad apple, so to speak. Who knows.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The best player to play for the franchise is on track to win the norris and is available. It will probably continue to be a discussion point until he's moved to another team, especially in the trade rumors, etc thread.

Imagine if we rewinded and Alfie were on another team and available? It would probably consume half of this board.

The debates probably die out quicker if you don't have people talking hyperbole on the other end of the spectrum as if its the stupidest idea ever because of boogieman type arguments.
I was looking at the standings today. The Sharks are the 3rd worst team in the NHL standings right now. Would be odd & interesting if they won the Bedard sweepstakes. That could easily change the plan in San Jose where they decide to keep Karlsson. It was just an odd thought that I had I guess.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
My idea would be to potentially swap Chabot + Joseph for Karlsson (with some retention), not add Karlsson to our current defense.

Sharks get younger but a lot worse since they are rebuilding while we get a lot better but older since we are trying to contend.

Sanderson - EK
Chychrun - Zub
Brannstrom - JBD

That looks pretty damn good to me.

I don't think San Jose would have interest in bringing Chabot in. He's owed as much real money as Karlsson, so they'd have to pay that + retain on Karlsson, and they're not going to be good for 3-4 years.
^^^ Yes, no real financial benefit for the Sharks, plus you'd think a Sharks rebuild would center around young, cost controlled players like most rebuilds do.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I dont think that has anything to do with it. Not from the information I have been provided. All the other guys that were there had contracts and are playing in the league right now. I believe if he was under contract he would be playing right now. The sens have had alot of bad press and with the team being for sale I am not suprised they werent willing to offer him anything more than a QO. Now if nothing comes of this if I were him id be upset with the organization and I would want a change. However with new ownership and management maybe he considers coming back here next season.

As you mentioned its been a long time with multiple different investigations with nothing that has come from it. At what point does this get resolved one way or another.

Would be strange to accept Batherson but not Formenton.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Unless Chabot severely declines, i think he'll be fine for $8 million if the cap increases. This is assuming Chychrun and Sanderson both make him redundant. I think Chabot as a luxury would be fine for $8 million and not mess with our competitiveness, but ideally he regains 55pt form
Having other good players doesnt make other ones redundant. I keep seeing this narrative. Good teams win because they have lots of good players. Having two really good pairings is what teams have to have to win.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I dont think that has anything to do with it. Not from the information I have been provided. All the other guys that were there had contracts and are playing in the league right now. I believe if he was under contract he would be playing right now. The sens have had alot of bad press and with the team being for sale I am not suprised they werent willing to offer him anything more than a QO. Now if nothing comes of this if I were him id be upset with the organization and I would want a change. However with new ownership and management maybe he considers coming back here next season.

As you mentioned its been a long time with multiple different investigations with nothing that has come from it. At what point does this get resolved one way or another.

Would be strange to accept Batherson but not Formenton.
We obviously don't know what the hell happened but I think the general consensus amongst the peanut gallery is Formenton was involved but Batherson wasn't. But who knows.

Joseph Pinto Formenton is a good looking 3rd line though

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We obviously don't know what the hell happened but I think the general consensus amongst the peanut gallery is Formenton was involved but Batherson wasn't. But who knows.

Joseph Pinto Formenton is a good looking 3rd line though

I mean the depth would be phenomenal. Could go into next season with this lineup. Incredible depth and options.

Tkachuk Stutzle Giroux
Formenton Norris Batherson
Debrincat Pinto Greig
Joseph Kastelic Gambrell/Watson/Reaves
Kelly Sokolov

Reactions: JD1
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Having other good players doesnt make other ones redundant. I keep seeing this narrative. Good teams win because they have lots of good players. Having two really good pairings is what teams have to have to win.
Let's be fair. In a cap world, it sorta does. That's why Stanley Cup winners lose players, they are priced out.

Reactions: bicboi64

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Let's be fair. In a cap world, it sorta does. That's why Stanley Cup winners lose players, they are priced out.
I mean the sens salary structure with the cap going up and money coming off the books suggests they will have money for everyone. The Tkachuk and Stutzle deals alone are going to give this team tons of flex.

Reactions: Relapsing

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I mean the depth would be phenomenal. Could go into next season with this lineup. Incredible depth and options.

Tkachuk Stutzle Giroux
Formenton Norris Batherson
Debrincat Pinto Greig
Joseph Kastelic Gambrell/Watson/Reaves
Kelly Sokolov
Sign Formenton and move on from Joseph imo .. too much money for a 3/4 tweener energy player

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
People have speculated on what the Sens will do if Sanderson keeps developing and surpasses Chabot for the past 6 months. Now with Chychrun here that talk will intensify as there's only so much money to go around. If Chabot was making $5 million per year or playing like a true number #1 people wouldn't discuss moving him.
Two guys who can take his job...that might light a fire under him.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
DJ commenting Chychrun's agent saying players now want to come to Ottawa, paraphrasing here but...

"Brady is part of it but the main reason imo is because they see Ottawa as a place the can win"
Good to hear. I had a feeling that with new owners and a team on the rise the idea that no player would want to go to the Ottberia hinterland would ultimately change. There was a time when we didn't have to hang our heads so low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad