Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
He's never played even really good defense so what's going to change?
And just for the record I don't want to get rid of him but some tough choices are going to have to be made. And if he is the Sens 3rd best Dman how can you justify paying him $8 million per?
Chabot was the rock that carried this teams defence since 2019. he’s played exceptionally well and almost averaging 30mins a game. Take in that team was trash, but we’re we’re still able to win games. we were full tank mode but those were the growing pains of rebuilding.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We've been looking to add a Top 4 D for a couple of years. Two days after finally getting one, we should trade away one of them?
If they follow your name that would be the move!

We haven't had a proper top 4 in so long clearly this fan base has no idea what to do with one :laugh:
Its a strange phenomenon I have to admit. Its been going on for a while too. 'Sanderson is going to be number 1'. Perfect! You can have multiple good players.

Really want to see a physically dominant first pair in Sanderson Chychurn. They are both extremely mobile and hard to play against. Get Chabots minutes down against softer competition. He is the most naturally gifted offensive D man on the team let him flourish.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I usually agree with most of your thoughts but not on Chabot. If Chabot becomes the 3rd best Dman then the cap will not rise enough in 2 years to justify paying him $8 million per. That's the point.
I look at it more like we will have 3 8 mill caliber D and a 5 mill defensive guy rounding out our top 4. That’s going to look pretty good as the cap keeps growing. A couple cheaper guys on the bottom pair in Kleven and Bran (potentially) and we’ll have a solid contending 6.

Thats why having all of a our young core locked in at around 8 million going forward is going to be key for us to have a deep team with top quality guys. Having 5-6 top line quality forwards and 3 1 D quality D is a blessing I think.

I mean, if we run into a cap crunch at some point in the future we may need to make some hard choices, but I don’t think we’re there, and I don’t think we should be considering dumping a top D the dat after we finally solidified our top 4 going forward.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Just gotta tinker with the bottom 6 and see Mads grow into the true #1

Yup thats the goal now.

Who knows, maybe Formenton gets cleared and can play. Probably not, but its possible.

Kastelic looks like the real deal, a solid 4th line checking centre. Greig will be up next year. Pinto will be even better. Get a couple of decent million dollar vet wingers for Kastelic, or even just one and that bottom line looks fine. Shit I'd even be tempted to bring Brassard back given how versatile he's been.

Throw Greig on the wing with Pinto and Joseph and that's a legit third line.

not too shabby.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Karlsson also makes a shitload of money. Despite looking great now, he still has a significant history of injuries and is on the wrong side of 30. He's not likely to repeat this season, and even if he does chances are his play will start to decline before this contract is out.

Then think about how much it would cost to get him, with enough retention to make if feasible. At what price point can the Senators fit Karlsson in without having to lose significant depth? 7 million? 8? Say good bye to Sanderson, Batherson or Debrincat. How much on top of a significant price would it take to add 3 or 4 million dollars over several seasons of retention? it would be a massive haul. More than the Sens got trading him in the first place.

It's not a good fit anymore. Karlsson was amazing when he was here, but its time to let it go. There is a new crop, and arguably the best defense this team has had since Redden-Meszaros, Phillips-Chara and a bottom pair with Volenchenkov.

Time to let it go.
That first paragraph is the question. I'm on the side of the fence that I think this year is more who he is and he's figured things out, moreso than the assumption he's washed, but I understand anyone not wanting the risk.

And to your 2nd point, that's always been in my considerations at least that it would have to come at the expense of either Chabot or DeBrincat. Personally, I would be happy with Karlsson over either of them, but I understand why most aren't. The contract comparison to Chabots backloaded deal had convinced me some, and Debrincat maybe not staying or needing overpayment was another factor. The cost to acquire is an issue now though and when I first waded in to this debate long ago, it was under the assumption it would be for a song and me thinking what he is doing this year was still possible for him. I feel less convinced now knowing that he wouldn't come cheap.

The 3rd part is where I disagree. I don't see any issue with the fit both from a culture/current team perspective or play style. He's playing well in SJ, but they don't use him like we did and I think he can be a cog in someone's D core and still put up high end offensive numbers. I don't think the only path forward with him is how we used him. I also think he'd be just fine with the group as far as fit goes, but there is a lot of push back on that and I'm prepared to just agree to disagree, I think it's a bit of an unqualifiable boogieman argument.

All in all though, I'm definitely okay with letting it go now. We've been trying to figure out how to plug the hole on D generating a lot of the Karlsson discussion and it's been plugged now, so the conversation doesn't feel as relevant. Chychrun was a fantastic addition. I just don't buy a lot of the arguments I see about why it wouldn't work. Quite frankly, I think we'll be just fine keeping Chabot instead. By the same token, I think we could deal for Karlsson and that could work out too. Six of one, half a dozen of another imo.

And my last thought is that I think there just flat out isn't enough respect put on his name around here when it's brought up. He's the best player to ever lace them up here, is about to be the first 3 time norris winner since Lidstrom, and imo it stems mostly from him not being willing to give the worst owner in hockey and well known asshole in general, a discount to stay.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I look at it more like we will have 3 8 mill caliber D and a 5 mill defensive guy rounding out our top 4. That’s going to look pretty good as the cap keeps growing. A couple cheaper guys on the bottom pair in Kleven and Bran (potentially) and we’ll have a solid contending 6.

Thats why having all of a our young core locked in at around 8 million going forward is going to be key for us to have a deep team with top quality guys. Having 5-6 top line quality forwards and 3 1 D quality D is a blessing I think.

I mean, if we run into a cap crunch at some point in the future we may need to make some hard choices, but I don’t think we’re there, and I don’t think we should be considering dumping a top D the dat after we finally solidified our top 4 going forward.
Here's a thought on those lines

Maybe going down to the wire we don't have opportunity to slide Kleven in this year so we don't blow a year on his ELC. That should help if he only needs a year of seasoning

Reactions: Ice-Tray

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Here's a thought on those lines

Maybe going down to the wire we don't have opportunity to slide Kleven in this year so we don't blow a year on his ELC. That should help if he only needs a year of seasoning
I think he signs a 2022-23 contract and burns a year.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Doesn't he have to also play in 22-23?
Nope. As of March 1 players can sign ELCs that begin the following year like Colin White or they can sign current year which burns a year automatically like Sanderson even without playing. The scenario applies to players who will be 20 by Sep 15th.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yup thats the goal now.

Who knows, maybe Formenton gets cleared and can play. Probably not, but its possible.

Kastelic looks like the real deal, a solid 4th line checking centre. Greig will be up next year. Pinto will be even better. Get a couple of decent million dollar vet wingers for Kastelic, or even just one and that bottom line looks fine. Shit I'd even be tempted to bring Brassard back given how versatile he's been.

Throw Greig on the wing with Pinto and Joseph and that's a legit third line.

not too shabby.
Formenton is already clear as no player has been convicted of any crime at this time. I hope he signs with the Sens for next season.

Kastelic is improving and using his body more now. I want to see him become a more physically imposing player and hit harder and more often.

Greig may need more time to mature and I agree he will likely be called up sometime next season.

I expect Pinto to get better and start playing a more physical game too. Pinto seems a bit slow to me so I would like to see him increase his speed.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
You are all gonna cry when chabot puts up 60pts next season, and play exceptional defence.
I wish the very best for Chabot going forward, namely that...
(1) he is given manageable normal game minutes (~20+) instead of stupid ones (~28+),
(2) less minutes means he does not need to pace himself, is able to pick up execution speed,
(3) he regains his playmaking confidence,
(4) by playing with a more solid capable D-core he does not find the puck in the back of his net every time he makes a mistake.

Solid team changes of late make this transition very possible. Hopefully we observe him return to form, capable like he was as we progress through the balance of the season.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Formenton is already clear as no player has been convicted of any crime at this time. I hope he signs with the Sens for next season.

Given how the Formenton situation unfolded this summer/fall, I suspect he won't play in a senators jersey again. That's not to say he won't play in the NHL. Management had their reasons for why they handled it in the manner that they did and we may never know why but I can't imagine Formenton's camp was too happy.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It's never going to happen (and maybe it shouldn't anyway), but let's consider our defense if we trade not Chabot, but the Cat (+ Joseph or retention or whatever to make the Cap work) for Karlsson:

Sanderson - Karlsson
Chabot - Zub
Chychrun - Hamonic

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I really wish the cap goes up the way some people think it will. Eliminates the need to have to move anyone lol

Hoping we see another gear of Chabot or even his play of his 55pt season.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
I really wish the cap goes up the way some people think it will. Eliminates the need to have to move anyone lol

Hoping we see another gear of Chabot or even his play of his 55pt season.

But does our relative competitiveness increase?

The cap goes up for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad