Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Makes too much. He's a guy I'd look to as a plan C in the offseason, but nothing more than that.

I think he's a 40 pt player who has a lot of speed and can get ~15 to 20 goals a season if all goes well. Getting one of those at UFA to take a 1 year deal at 3.2 mil in Ottawa would be very hard. We're paying Watson half that and he's coming off the books.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Jensen will be highly sought after. O one would think. I trust us acquiring a d man with term more than I trust us trying to sign 1 of 2 max 3 decent d men in FA. And if we don’t get them? We start next year desperately scrambling for another.

It’s really just preference at this point.
I am hoping that with new owners with deeper pockets, we can avail ourselves to free agents more in the future. We haven't had that in recent history, so I suppose it's rather understandable and easy to forget that free agency is another viable tool in the toolbox.

For a legit, good top 4 RD, the price is going to be something relatively steep. I doubt if one or two of our middling prospects and 2nd rounders are going to get it done like some folks do.

I guess time will tell and we'll see what happens in the future. I'm just hoping impatience and a GM desperation trade has no role in anything we do now.

And I doubt we'll have cap space for 2 or 3 (versus 1) good defensemen either if the cap is $83.5 next year, so we won't have to worry about that. The Senators would need a large roster/salary subtraction to get that done. It's getting redundant at this point to have to say this.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
This makes no sense. You can unload pending UFAs and dead weight while simultaneously shopping for pieces you absolutely need to upgrade. One doesn't exclude you from the other. This is a buyer's market, and there's a number of RDs on the market who could fit the bill on a long term horizon for this team. Standing pat because you don't think a "lameduck" GM should be allowed to do anything while the team completes the sale process is f***ing ridiculous. The goal should always be to improve the team. Every chance you get. It's literally their job until they're fired.
It’s not a buyers market, and taking on 8 year deals, until a player is 38 is also not the best, at least with the options, if they were 3-4 years left that would be different.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
JFC the last thing this team needs is to spend assets and cap space on bottom 6 players. It’s clear that if we want to get the pieces we need and pay the ones we have and want to keep, we need to fill the bottom 6 slots with league minimum salaries.

Unless we are picking up a reasonably priced RHD that bumps hamonic down, any moves by dorion seem to purely be for the aim of Dorion making a move rather than improving the team for the future. f*** all that.

Reactions: Que and Bileur

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I think he's a 40 pt player who has a lot of speed and can get ~15 to 20 goals a season if all goes well. Getting one of those at UFA to take a 1 year deal at 3.2 mil in Ottawa would be very hard. We're paying Watson half that and he's coming off the books.
That description could also apply to Tyler Ennis and a lot of other guys I don't particularly want above 1mil or so.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It’s not a buyers market, and taking on 8 year deals, until a player is 38 is also not the best, at least with the options, if they were 3-4 years left that would be different.
Well pundits and analysts are saying it's a buyer's market. Guys like Horvat are going for a cap dump and a mid-1st round pick. O'Reilly and Tarasenko went for late 1st round picks. Orlov comes with a very effective bottom 6F for the price of a late, late 1st round pick. Lots of players are popping up on the trade market and sure, not all of them will be traded, but it seems like prices are pretty palatable right now.

Best wishes to him but, honestly, he kinda sucked this year.

Reactions: bert and NB613

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well pundits and analysts are saying it's a buyer's market. Guys like Horvat are going for a cap dump and a mid-1st round pick. O'Reilly and Tarasenko went for late 1st round picks. Orlov comes with a very effective bottom 6F for the price of a late, late 1st round pick. Lots of players are popping up on the trade market and sure, not all of them will be traded, but it seems like prices are pretty palatable right now.

Those are decent points, but context is also important.

Later 1st round picks are involved in those trades because it's good teams that are contenders making the trades. There's a difference between a team hoping to get into the playoffs like Ottawa versus teams that want to, and have a decent chance at winning multiple playoff rounds and possibly the Cup.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I am hoping that with new owners with deeper pockets, we can avail ourselves to free agents more in the future. We haven't had that in recent history, so I suppose it's rather understandable and easy to forget that free agency is another viable tool in the toolbox.

For a legit, good top 4 RD, the price is going to be something relatively steep. I doubt if one or two of our middling prospects and 2nd rounders are going to get it done like some folks do.

I guess time will tell and we'll see what happens in the future. I'm just hoping impatience and a GM desperation trade has no role in anything we do now.

And I doubt we'll have cap space for 2 or 3 (versus 1) good defensemen either if the cap is $83.5 next year, so we won't have to worry about that. The Senators would need a large roster/salary subtraction to get that done. It's getting redundant at this point to have to say this.
We will always have issues getting FAs to this market for many reasons. We will always have to overpay unless we have guy wanting to come home. Acquiring a guy with term is probably the only way to acquire the players we need.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Didn’t he publicly say he wanted to stay in ottawa? I think Strickland is mistaken
I mean just bc he wants to stay doesn’t mean he’s going to accept just any offer. At 35yo im guessing he wants some security with a multiyear deal but i doubt we are offering that. He hasn’t proven much at all this year.

Reactions: NB613

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Injuries derailed his transition to one of the worst defensive teams in the league, not sure how much he would fetch. On pedigree alone, I see a 5th coming back for the UFA, anything more is gravy.

Is it worth it? Ottawa will be left Sogaard and Bibeau (AHL/ECHL) combo with Mando injured.

Unless PD has a few moves up his sleeve (as per Garrioch), the liquidation should officially begin. Even if Ottawa goes on a miracle streak like the Hamburglar run, they are in not even on the same level as Boston and Carolina to break the bank and get immediate help.

Get rid of/bench Watson, Gambrell, Brassard, Holden….give the AHL prospects (Sokolov, Crookshank, JBD, Lassi) and Kleven (March) a longer look to see how/if they fit.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We will always have issues getting FAs to this market for many reasons. We will always have to overpay unless we have guy wanting to come home. Acquiring a guy with term is probably the only way to acquire the players we need.
It depends on your expectations as well. I'm aiming at being at the same level as other Canadian (smaller) market teams. Maybe we can do a little better if we are really lucky. If the cap ceiling is $83.5 m next year, that will also be a factor and some teams will be feeling the squeeze. This has also happened over the last few years due to the COVID flat cap situation. There's lot of factors that will eventually come into play. If we have a good team, or once were have a really good team, that will be another factor as well.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I mean just bc he wants to stay doesn’t mean he’s going to accept just any offer. At 35yo im guessing he wants some security with a multiyear deal but i doubt we are offering that. He hasn’t proven much at all this year.

Fair point and likely correct.

I don’t think thatcher demko is right for us.

Remember that report that saaros could be available if preds fall off.

Would you guys break bank for him?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Fair point and likely correct.

I don’t think thatcher demko is right for us.

Remember that report that saaros could be available if preds fall off.

Would you guys break bank for him?
No interest.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I’ll pick one name from that list , O’reilly and Acciari cost a 1, 2, Ottawa’s 3rd and a 4th for UFAs.
Or do you only count first round picks.?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Well he wasn’t great but he played a large role in us still being in the hunt in late feb early March

You have zero interest in juuse saros? Like zero?
Zero. Addding 5M for a goalie means no Top 4 D or bye bye Debrincat and the acquisition assets we lose.

Add Chychrun and Vejmelka get a new coach and give our goalie tandem a better defensive team to play behind.

Reactions: Crosside

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well he wasn’t great but he played a large role in us still being in the hunt in late feb early March

You have zero interest in juuse saros? Like zero?
I have to think poster missed that part , and read Demko.
Edit: never mind apparently not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad