Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Those are decent points, but context is also important.

Later 1st round picks are involved in those trades because it's good teams that are contenders making the trades. There's a difference between a team hoping to get into the playoffs like Ottawa versus teams that want to, and have a decent chance at winning multiple playoff rounds and possibly the Cup.
Well, all the same, contenders don't usually have the cap space to add players on multi-year, mid-to-high AAV contracts. We are, potentially, able to accommodate such a trade. If there’s that many names floating out there that can help us address a clear weakness in the roster, why the hell would the fanbase expect the “lame duck” GM to sit on his hands instead of making something happen. We knew from the moment Melnyk died that the team would go up for sale, if we were fine with Dorion signing Giroux and trading for DB, then why aren’t we fine with this?

Oct 10, 2010
Signing Talbot made very little sense with our cap crunch/Budget.

We need a very good RD and to obviously re-sign Cat.

I’m fine with Forsberg and Mads next season please just accomplish the above.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Signing Talbot made very little sense with our cap crunch/Budget.

We need a very good RD and to obviously re-sign Cat.

I’m fine with Forsberg and Mads next season please just accomplish the above.

Sogaard has played only 56 games for Belleville over the past 2 seasons due to injury.

He's not ready. Needs at least another year.

Thought Talbot would have been a good stop gap if he were to agree to sign a 1 year extension, but alas.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Agreed
But at the same time if JC ,or whoever is the target, is dealt to let's say EDM for something everybody here would be ok to pay for (1st, prospect or whatever) , We are all going to unleash at PD
So not easy decision
Unload the UFAs and that's it for me. It is what it is regarding people's faith in Dorion. Playoff teams with a chance to compete are shopping to get something to help them at the TDL. Sellers are looking for the best deal they can get. Maybe we can get a Stone caliber player for next to nothing . Any GM would want to take that deal. I just do not trust Dorion to be the guy getting the bargain

Reactions: Alex1234

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
That’s not what you said. You said was better, as in before the trade.

He's turned out to be the better goaltender, despite being a decade younger, which is my point.

It's the same as Zibanejad vs. Brassard. Our crap pro scouts thought Brassard was an upgrade and immediately once the season started Zibanejad was the superior player.

They can't even evaluate their own players properly, let alone players from other teams.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sogaard has played only 56 games for Belleville over the past 2 seasons due to injury.

Thought Talbot would have been a good stop gap if he were to agree to sign a 1 year extension, but alas.
Gus played 95 games in the AHL over 5 seasons and was terrible last year. Not much difference. I’m all aboard the Chychrun and Vejmelka train today. It gives Sogaard 2 more years to develop in the AHL which aligns with his waiver exemption.

Oct 10, 2010

I’m not acquiring any goalie that prevents us from getting very good RD and re-signing Cat.

Good system and great D will make any goalie amazing.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
If he's better now, he was probably better 27 games ago too, he just didn't have the track record to prove it.

With the benefit of hindsight, we did trade the better player, it's not like Gus grew into the player he is now by toiling away in Iowa until he was ready.
Did you read what Guerin said regarding Gustavsson's fitness?

“The biggest thing is he’s gotten in shape. He wasn’t in good enough condition before. And when you’re not in good enough condition, you get tired and you’re sloppy and you don’t play well”.
Interesting, no? Makes you wonder what exactly has been going on in Belleville, and in the Senators organization as a whole.

Maybe all these injuries are more than just bad luck.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Zero. Addding 5M for a goalie means no Top 4 D or bye bye Debrincat and the acquisition assets we lose.

Add Chychrun and Vejmelka get a new coach and give our goalie tandem a better defensive team to play behind.
Well they together make MORe than saros. So either way I think you have to say bye to debrincat?

If vejmelka is any good which of course we have no idea. His contract is also up in two years same with chychrun and saros I beleive.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If he's better now, he was probably better 27 games ago too, he just didn't have the track record to prove it.

With the benefit of hindsight, we did trade the better player, it's not like Gus grew into the player he is now by toiling away in Iowa until he was ready.
Well, that's simply not true. He was far and away the worst of the 3 goalies who played last year. Happy for him to have found a situation where he could turn around his game but saying he was better last year than a guy who went to the All-Star game? That's nuts.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Please don’t trade for an expensive goalie.
I agree. I treat goalies like running backs. Once they get expensive ship them off. Problem is. Non expensive goalies become expensive if they play really well. And it’s harder to find a good goalie that will bail out a defensively weak team. But I think under new coach our defence will be much better

Well, that's simply not true. He was far and away the worst of the 3 goalies who played last year. Happy for him to have found a situation where he could turn around his game but saying he was better last year than a guy who went to the All-Star game? That's nuts.
And he was by far and away the best of our goalies the year before last. We definitely may have been hasty with Gus.

Reactions: hn777

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Did you read what Guerin said regarding Gustavsson's fitness?

Interesting, no? Makes you wonder what exactly has been going on in Belleville, and in the Senators organization as a whole.

Maybe all these injuries are more than just bad luck.
Maybe the trade was a wakeup call for him? Ex-Ottawa players talk about the quality of the training staff all the time. Fitness doesn't seem to be a problem for any of the guys on the current roster, does it?

I agree. I treat goalies like running backs. Once they get expensive ship them off. Problem is. Non expensive goalies become expensive if they play really well. And it’s harder to find a good goalie that will bail out a defensively weak team. But I think under new coach our defence will be much better

And he was by far and away the best of our goalies the year before last. We definitely may have been hasty with Gus.
He started 7 games that year. Hard to make any sort of assessment out of a sample size that small. Come on.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Maybe the trade was a wakeup call for him? Ex-Ottawa players talk about the quality of the training staff all the time. Fitness doesn't seem to be a problem for any of the guys on the current roster, does it?

He started 7 games that year. Hard to make any sort of assessment out of a sample size that small. Come on.
Yet it

and only 18 appearances last year. Either way. Seems we were hasty.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well, all the same, contenders don't usually have the cap space to add players on multi-year, mid-to-high AAV contracts. We are, potentially, able to accommodate such a trade. If there’s that many names floating out there that can help us address a clear weakness in the roster, why the hell would the fanbase expect the “lame duck” GM to sit on his hands instead of making something happen. We knew from the moment Melnyk died that the team would go up for sale, if we were fine with Dorion signing Giroux and trading for DB, then why aren’t we fine with this?
I doubt if anyone would object a trade that landed us a good player (i.e. a good RD with a decent contract) if the price was modest or very favorable for us, and the player was a building block for us.

With regards to the trades you are referring to, players like O'Reilly, Orlov & Tarasenko were rentals. So, I'm not sure we are at the stage where we are looking for rentals. That's why I mentioned context earlier.

Like most things, it boils down to risk versus reward. I think the concerns from many people is more on the risk side. If we end up making a bad trade, people are really going to wonder why a lame duck GM was even in position to make the trade in the first place.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What isn't true? Did Gus drastically improve after the trade and before playing his first game with the wild?

I didn't say he had a better season last year, just that he was probtthe better player at the time of the trade, he's a young guy you expect to improve, Talbot is an older guy you expect to regress.

Because right now, he appears to be the significantly better player, unless you think he improved between being traded, and playing his first game, hindsight tells us we traded the better player,

Reactions: hn777

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Peeke + Korpisalo ( extended ) + Jenner vs Ottawa first ( top 5 protected ) + JBD + Pinto/Greig + Kelly + Formenton + Sokolov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad