Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Honestly I'd just call Greig back up. Kid looked ready IMO.

We're not really contenders this year even if we manage to make it, and the last thing we can afford to do is throw away more young assets on rentals.
I don't think you need to be a contender to do a cheap rental for a playoff race.

No core ever wins the Cup in their first ever playoff appearance. If 2025 third rounder gets you in the playoffs and you get swept, that's fine.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't think you need to be a contender to do a cheap rental for a playoff race.

No core ever wins the Cup in their first ever playoff appearance. If 2025 third rounder gets you in the playoffs and you get swept, that's fine.

Really don't think wasting a 3rd on a player like Bjugstad will make much of a difference, especially if it keeps Greig in the AHL.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Really don't think wasting a 3rd on a player like Bjugstad will make much of a difference, especially if it keeps Greig in the AHL.
We are currently forced to dress three of Gambrell, Brassard, Watson, Kelly. Adding Bjugstad or a similar player simply shouldn't have an impact on Greig... if we keep playing important games, Greig will get into them.

As for trading for Bjugstad, I see the appeal in adding him but also see where you're coming from. We have brought in a really big fish for the 2nd time in like 8 months, both times giving up three relatively high picks, and at this point I think there's a lot to be gained from just letting the guys we have available to us try their best to pull this thing off.

Reactions: Bileur

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We are currently forced to dress three of Gambrell, Brassard, Watson, Kelly. Adding Bjugstad or a similar player simply shouldn't have an impact on Greig... if we keep playing important games, Greig will get into them.

As for trading for Bjugstad, I see the appeal in adding him but also see where you're coming from. We have brought in a really big fish for the 2nd time in like 8 months, both times giving up three relatively high picks, and at this point I think there's a lot to be gained from just letting the guys we have available to us try their best to pull this thing off.

I don't know DJ Smith would agree. Bet the vets would play, even if Greig is obviously better at this stage.

I just think we should save our picks/prospects for when this team is actually contending.

If all goes well and we are in a clear playoff position in 2023/24, go for it, but the unfortunate reality is that we're by no means a guaranteed playoff team this year and renting players while you're outside of the playoffs just isn't smart asset management.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Assuming that Sogaard gets another year in Belleville and Greig + Thomson start in Ottawa next year, we'll have about 15.34M in cap space to re-sign DeBrincat, Pinto, Gauthier, Gambrell, Brannstrom and JBD + add a goalie.

8M to DeBrincat
2.5M to Pinto (bridge)
1.3M to Brannstrom
0.9M each to Gauthier, Gambrell and JBD

Total: 14.5M

That would leave us with less than 1M to improve in goal and give us a solid option besides Forsberg.

Roster would look like this:

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
DeBrincat - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - Gauthier
Gambrell

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - JBD
Thomson

Forsberg
??????

Feel like Joseph will need to be dumped. He's the obvious choice with a 2.95M cap hit.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Assuming that Sogaard gets another year in Belleville and Greig + Thomson start in Ottawa next year, we'll have about 15.34M in cap space to re-sign DeBrincat, Pinto, Gauthier, Gambrell, Brannstrom and JBD + add a goalie.

8M to DeBrincat
2.5M to Pinto (bridge)
1.3M to Brannstrom

That would leave us with less than 1M to improve in goal and give us a solid option besides Forsberg.

Greig - Pinto - Joseph
Gambrell

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - JBD
Thomson

Forsberg
??????

Feel like Joseph will need to be dumped. He's the obvious choice with a 2.95M cap hit.
definitely should be dumped.. replacement level... A lot of activity without productivity.

Bottom 6 for me should be
Greig Pinto X <-- Connor Brown like. We need that 3rd line to be able to produce.. A guy like Debrusk would fit there too
Joseph Kastelic Gauthier

replace Joseph with a cheaper alternative.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
definitely should be dumped.. replacement level... A lot of activity without productivity.

Bottom 6 for me should be
Greig Pinto X <-- Connor Brown like. We need that 3rd line to be able to produce.. A guy like Debrusk would fit there too
Joseph Kastelic Gauthier

replace Joseph with a cheaper alternative.
Then their is the Forms situation that is going to be a asset or 3rd liner! However that's another story for another day.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
seems like we have lots of LH options now with Kleven coming now too.....Branny and Lassi on the way out with talbot to get some goaltending and some cap space?

CHABOT CHYCH
SANDY ZUB
KLEVEN HAM/HOLD/JBD

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

8M to DeBrincat
2.5M to Pinto (bridge)
1.3M to Brannstrom

Greig - Pinto - Joseph
Gambrell

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - JBD
Thomson

Forsberg
??????

Pinto is a 10.2, just give him 1.25-1.5 on a 1 year deal.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Curious if Formenton comes back when we have new ownership for next season.

Reactions: bert

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Gotta squeeze him, he has zero leverage.

Could mean getting screwed over next season if he has a breakout year.

We're going to be in a cap crunch after next season too, depending on what happens with the cap.

Sanderson is going to need a big extension and that will pretty much eat all of our cap space that opens up and more, since the only money coming off the books next year is about 5M from buyouts and Murray's retained salary.

I'd rather bridge him for 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad