Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I don't really see the issue with Dubas' performance.

He was left the core he has and you have no choice but to roll with them for better or worse. He's basically been tasked with filling in around them year after year. They've had some of both of tough matchups and some choking.

What else are you gonna do? Blow it up and spend 5 years in the basement as a boring team even though you're easily making the playoffs and giving yourself a shot year after year? Not likely.
Is it the Tavares signing and possibly handing out the contracts he did to their stars (this one is a tougher & more debatable topic)? I think you're correct, but perhaps it's these 2 things that he gets some criticism for?

Reactions: Relapsing

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I don't really see the issue with Dubas' performance.

He was left the core he has and you have no choice but to roll with them for better or worse. He's basically been tasked with filling in around them year after year. They've had some of both of tough matchups and some choking.

What else are you gonna do? Blow it up and spend 5 years in the basement as a boring team even though you're easily making the playoffs and giving yourself a shot year after year? Not likely.
The Matthews contract handed all the power to the player, who got the AAV and term he wanted, walking him directly to UFA. He way overpaid Tavares for literally no reason whatsoever. The goaltending has and continues to be a question mark from day 1. And his team hasn't won a playoff round under his tenure while the cupboard is literally empty and continues to be depleted.

Reactions: DueDiligence

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
But is the assumption that better contracts could have been secured? That may not have been an option and the players may have been prepared to strong arm their way forward either way. Dubas may have done as well as possible for all we know.

God I hope it's not us.

Makes more sense for the oilers, they're in win the cup now mode. Not worried about a guy regressing 4 or 5 years into his contract.

Reactions: Que

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005
To insinuate that Dubas is doing a good job, you must also believe Toronto is in a much better position to win in the playoffs today then when he took over 4 years ago. I still don’t see it. Not with the goaltending that team has. Hoping that you catch lightning in a bottle one of these playoff years, sure. Doesn’t mean the GM is doing a good job taking the team to the next level.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Makes more sense for the oilers, they're in win the cup now mode. Not worried about a guy regressing 4 or 5 years into his contract.
It's possible that Dorion is on a shorter leash given the larger $s (& term) that Parayko has. I don't know this, and it's just a hypothesis, but there was some info out there its a dollar out and dollar in scenario now.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Tavares was Dubas. All those extensions were Dubas. He has financially handcuffed the team for the foreseeable future, which has seen many quality players leave who would have been great compliments to the core as their game matured.

Oh for some reason I thought Tavares was before his time.

I personally don't get the hate for the Tavares deal. Been a PPG center playing in the #2 role for 5 years now and cost zero assets to acquire.

Bigger problem is that he then dealt Kadri for Barrie and Kerfoot instead of a better return. That's one of his screw ups for sure.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Well he isnt a journeyman and as for goalies and their development cycles he is still very young. I agree he has been average for the most part but he looks to be finding his game right now.
What would scare me is the fact Washington didn't even qualify him based on his playoff performances. He looks better than Murray/Cambell/Anderssen/Toskala/etc... As a leaf hater I'm getting a little worried.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
But is the assumption that better contracts could have been secured? That may not have been an option and the players may have been prepared to strong arm their way forward either way. Dubas may have done as well as possible for all we know.

He may have, doesn’t negate the fact that he put them in a situation that year after year they are scrapping to find depth because they haven’t been able to keep quality depth. For me the Tavares contract remains a huge blunder on his part. It was ambitious and I always appreciate GMs who are willing to make that big move but it never made sense and only compounded the issue of cap management.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
ahhh f*** please no. hopefully the mention of Alberta, he’s hinting that it’s the oilers.

Since Edmonton just cleared cap space by dumping Pool Party to Carolina, safe bet that it is.

If we did pass on Marino beause of term, ain't no way we are in on Parayko.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Oh for some reason I thought Tavares was before his time.

I personally don't get the hate for the Tavares deal. Been a PPG center playing in the #2 role for 5 years now and cost zero assets to acquire.

Bigger problem is that he then dealt Kadri for Barrie and Kerfoot instead of a better return. That's one of his screw ups for sure.

Tavares as a player isn’t an issue but like you said he is playing the #2 role, when that role is filling $11 million of your cap, that becomes an issue. On top of that he was a player who signed as a FA, given his age it isn’t really a moveable contract either.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Tavares as a player isn’t an issue but like you said he is playing the #2 role, when that role is filling $11 million of your cap, that becomes an issue. On top of that he was a player who signed as a FA, given his age it isn’t really a moveable contract either.
5th highest AAV in the league to be a second line center. That's utterly nonsense.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm really curious what the cost for Parayko would be... he's got a really risky contract to take on, health issues and is having a bad season, but he finds a way to resolve the back issues a la Alfie wearing Chris Kelly's skates, he's an ideal candidate.

Got to think the appetite for retaining would be very low with 7 years left, I'm just not loving that contract with his back the way it is, but the deal is declining, so buying out the last 3 years is manageable if it comes to that, can he be worth his salary for the first 4 years?

Everybody thought Karlsson was done, now he's probably winning another Norris, sometimes health issues do improve.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What is the formula for playoff success then? What should they be doing that they are not doing or have not done? Does the McCabe trade add to or detract from their chances at making noise in the playoffs (which they are 100% going to make at this point)?
When your core hasn't got over the hump for 5 years, maybe shakeup the core. I'm just saying.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Is it the Tavares signing and possibly handing out the contracts he did to their stars (this one is a tougher & more debatable topic)? I think you're correct, but perhaps it's these 2 things that he gets some criticism for?

The Matthews contract handed all the power to the player, who got the AAV and term he wanted, walking him directly to UFA. He way overpaid Tavares for literally no reason whatsoever. The goaltending has and continues to be a question mark from day 1. And his team hasn't won a playoff round under his tenure while the cupboard is literally empty and continues to be depleted.
I think its valid to point out they aren't great contracts even if the players produce almost enough to justify them. I just can't assume anything better was possible. A player like Matthews holds all the marbles either way and if he wants out, he'll ultimately get his way sort of like how Stone handled it, you just have to hope he wants to play ball.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'm really curious what the cost for Parayko would be... he's got a really risky contract to take on, health issues and is having a bad season, but he finds a way to resolve the back issues a la Alfie wearing Chris Kelly's skates, he's an ideal candidate.

Got to think the appetite for retaining would be very low with 7 years left, I'm just not loving that contract with his back the way it is, but the deal is declining, so buying out the last 3 years is manageable if it comes to that, can he be worth his salary for the first 4 years?

Everybody thought Karlsson was done, now he's probably winning another Norris, sometimes health issues do improve.
This is the real question and why he's such a polarizing trade candidate. I'm glad I don't have to make this kind of decision.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He may have, doesn’t negate the fact that he put them in a situation that year after year they are scrapping to find depth because they haven’t been able to keep quality depth. For me the Tavares contract remains a huge blunder on his part. It was ambitious and I always appreciate GMs who are willing to make that big move but it never made sense and only compounded the issue of cap management.
I would have liked a move to supplement it if that was the route they wanted to go, but then in hindsight, it would have been Nylander I would have moved and that would have been a mistake. Tough call when a guy like that falls in your lap, I can see the appeal, and really, it's not that Tavares is bad or not worth most of his contract, it's the cap management that's the issue.

Or better yet, whine about the playoff format. That's much easier.
Well in their defence it is pretty stupid. Best should play the worst and trickle down from there. Stop trying to force "rivalries" down our throats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad