Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
With this I agree wholeheartedly.

I don't really agree with this especially in the context of how the Leafs have lost their playoff series.

The cup is the ultimate measure of success for any team but there is a sliding scale.
There is a sliding scale when your team is rebuilding and your core is young and learning how to win.

At a certain point, it has to flip to a binary state. Their core has been together long enough now. Their rebuild has been over for long enough now.

If Tampa loses this year, they're a failure.
If Boston loses this year, they're a failure.
If any team with an established core that dominates the league loses, they've failed in the one thing that matters - bringing home a cup.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
never knew this many people would get butt hurt by saying that Mccabe was a great move and that their GM is good

sheeesshh I would take Dubas here over Dorion any day of the weekkk
Someone who wants to have a reasonable discussion about something also surprised at the response they get when they use terms like "butt hurt" to describe the people they're arguing with. What a muppet.

Reactions: Relapsing

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The ask for Ekholm is apparently 2 first rounders, so we're likely out of that. Same with Gavrikov with CBJ asking for a 1st rounder.

Our best bet is to buy low on Fabbro or go UFA route with Jensen or TVR.
Gavrikov is also a LD (also shoots left).

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Someone who wants to have a reasonable discussion about something also surprised at the response they get when they use terms like "butt hurt" to describe the people they're arguing with. What a muppet.

Toronto is much better built team than Ottawa currently and their GM just stole a top 4 D who can play RD for 2mill per while our GM has been looking for someone for 3 years

Seems pretty clear cut

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Toronto is much better built team than Ottawa currently and their GM just stole a top 4 D who can play RD for 2mill per while our GM has been looking for someone for 3 years

Seems pretty clear cut
As previously stated Dubas had both some great young players plus a boatload of money he could spend when he took over.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Bare minimum success = n+1 playoff series wins, every year.

Pretty simple equation.

If you dominate the leagues standings, you're a failure if you can't get past the first round. It would still be a failure if they can't make it to at least the ECF every one of those years, if less of one. And even less so if you're in the finals every year.

The only measure of success for a team in Toronto's position is to win the cup. That's it. Anything else is platitudes and good feelings.

Frankly, f*** that.

McCabe may make them better. Enough to win? Let's see how he plays with the team.

As for what they should or shouldnt have done? It all comes back to signing Tavares at the expense of being able to significantly pay for talent elsewhere. For me, it all goes back to that. But that's just my opinion.

The last 27 Stanley Cups have been split between only 13 different franchises (DET x4, CHI x3, TBL x3, COL x3, NJD x3, PIT x3, LA x2, ANA x1, STL x1, WSH x1, CAR x1, BOS x1, DAL x1).

Beyond that, obviously it goes without saying that any measure that considers only 1/32 teams to be successful in a given season is far too limited.

Using an example, the Nashville Predators have been able to make the playoffs 15 out of the last 18 seasons, while playing under a budget for a lot of those years. Is that not impressive? I would consider that a tremendous success, even if they haven't been able to win it all.

Reactions: bicboi64 and DrEasy

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
The last 27 Stanley Cups have been split between only 13 different franchises (DET x4, CHI x3, TBL x3, COL x3, NJD x3, PIT x3, LA x2, ANA x1, STL x1, WSH x1, CAR x1, BOS x1, DAL x1).

Beyond that, obviously it goes without saying that any measure that considers only 1/32 teams to be successful in a given season is far too limited.

Using an example, the Nashville Predators have been able to make the playoffs 15 out of the last 18 seasons, while playing under a budget for a lot of those years. Is that not impressive? I would consider that a tremendous success, even if they haven't been able to win it all.
The only things that the losing Stanley cup finals team gets is a monetary payout and the opportunity to pat themselves on the back.

This league only has one winner every year. One team that actually succeeds every year.

It's telling you chose the word impressive. Yes. Nashvilles run has been impressive. Doesn't mean they were successful.

Tremendous success for making the post season a bunch. LOL. Your metrics are off man. Tremendous success is what's Tampa has done.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Seems pretty clear cut
Ah ok, nothing before that matters then. Nevermind nearly a dozen years of being irrelevant, nevermind the disparity in resources, nevermind the meddling owner who insisted on being a cap floor team, nevermind the team Dubas inherited when he walked into the job and nevermind the state of their future after he's dismissed. The path both teams have had to take is inconsequential, the only thing that matters is that they're a better regular season team today. Funny thing is they've been 2 points better than Ottawa since December 1st and you're giving him his flowers cause he traded for a 29yo dman who's never even heard the word playoffs before.

Wouldn't it just be easier and more honest if you said you're super biased in your hatred for management and that you don't care about being reasonable?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think you’re dead wrong.

I think that this young team is always going to have to take some playoff lumps to win, like EVERY young team does. Starting this year would be far better for moral than next year, and I highly doubt this team would get embarrassed or humiliated in playoff losses regardless.

There is zero reason to put off further development until next year or beyond because they’re scared (which is exactly what your post sound like) the kids are hungry now, let them learn.

No one is suggesting mortgaging the future for rentals, but there are lots of moves we can make for now and the future that could help the team.
Read my earlier post. I said that I didn't think the benefit of getting swept in the first round would outweigh the cost of the assets the team would have to give up. This team simply isn't built for the playoffs. I don't think TDL deals with inflated asks are the way to go. YMMV

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think he's won 2 more rounds than Dubas no?

With a team built by Murray with the following additions made:

Derick Brassard (at the cost of Zibanejad)
Tom Pyatt
Alex Burrows
Viktor Stalberg
Tommy Wingels

You seem to be missing the overall point which is that success or failure attributed to a GM should be based on their own work, not the work of others.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Who built Toronto's core?

Many people.

Reilly was drafted by Burke
Nylander and Marner were added under Nonis
Matthews and Tavares under Lamoreillo

What is your point? That the big guns of Toronto choking in round 1 each year is Dubas' fault, even though he didn't acquire them?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't really see the issue with Dubas' performance.

He was left the core he has and you have no choice but to roll with them for better or worse. He's basically been tasked with filling in around them year after year. They've had some of both of tough matchups and some choking.

What else are you gonna do? Blow it up and spend 5 years in the basement as a boring team even though you're easily making the playoffs and giving yourself a shot year after year? Not likely.

Reactions: HSF

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Many people.

Reilly was drafted by Burke
Nylander and Marner were added under Nonis
Matthews and Tavares under Lamoreillo

What is your point? That the big guns of Toronto choking in round 1 each year is Dubas' fault, even though he didn't acquire them?

Tavares was Dubas. All those extensions were Dubas. He has financially handcuffed the team for the foreseeable future, which has seen many quality players leave who would have been great compliments to the core as their game matured.

Reactions: Relapsing

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Tavares was Dubas. All those extensions were Dubas. He has financially handcuffed the team for the foreseeable future, which has seen many quality players leave who would have been great compliments to the core as their game matured.
But is the assumption that better contracts could have been secured? That may not have been an option and the players may have been prepared to strong arm their way forward either way. Dubas may have done as well as possible for all we know.

ahhh f*** please no. hopefully the mention of Alberta, he’s hinting that it’s the oilers.

God I hope it's not us.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Doesn’t have to be the exact deal

Pointing out that people here saying there is no one available or there are no cheap bottom 6 players to fill out the roster are just wrong

Toronto got a top 4 D for 2 mill for two more season

Such a good price and worth a late first

their talent is on the roster. Does tampa have a poor GM for turning their firsts into Goodrow and Hagel?

Need to get things done and can't always be waiting.

People here constantly say you can't get good bottom 6 guys yet there are plenty moving. We have been looking for a defensemen for 3 seasons now lmao
It was a really nice deal for the leafs. 2025 Top 10 protect 1st and 2026 2nd. We could have easily done that. Posters here would have complained that Dorion overpaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad