Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
How can the team be extremely well built AND full of mental midgets. Isn't that a contradiction?

Let's suppose for a moment that Toronto loses in the 1st round this year. Certainly that's not an unreasonable expectation. So, Dubas is without a contract. He's never won a playoff round. He's traded away their most critical draft capital, putting them in a hole for a few years. His best asset is a year away from potentially walking out the door. What do you do?

I think the prudent move it to terminate him immediately upon defeat. Have a new GM waiting in the wings. Have the new GM present Matthews an offer that he's prepared to sign or advise him he's gone at the draft and recoup as much draft capital as possible

Dubas has had a full cap budget. Massive non cap support expenditures in scouts. No expense spared. He's produced nothing.

I don't think it's a contradiction. They have a really solid team and for some reason they have psychological issues in the playoffs. At some point the GM has done all he can do.

They probably have to make changes if they choke again this year but again I'm not sure you can easily blame Dubas for that.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We have not been linked to him, and I think Ottawa will want to go with a more established guy. But yes he could still be a target for sure

We should be going for a guy who is on the verge of establishing himself.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Toronto is hovering around .500 winning percentage in the playoffs over the last 10 years. Are you seriously saying Toronto has not had favourable playoff matchups over that time?
I think the only truly favourable match up they've had was Montreal. Every single other series they have been in was very even.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
The long contract is a big concern for me.

If the fit isn't great, we are locked in and that is worrisome.

I am not as worried about it honestly, the window is within the next 3-5 years.

We literally do not have one bad contract on the roster anymore outside of Joseph, which really isn't even that bad.

If Weegar or Parayko can play their role in the mid-term, we can deal with the bad contract in the future. This is not Zaistev where they just always suck.

Also, Weegar came late into the league and Parayko is a great skater so I think they both have the ability to play later in their careers even if they end up being overpaid. Hope the cap goes up by then as well

Reactions: bert

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I am not as worried about it honestly, the window is within the next 3-5 years.

We literally do not have one bad contract on the roster anymore outside of Joseph, which really isn't even that bad.

If Weegar or Parayko can play their role in the mid-term, we can deal with the bad contract in the future. This is not Zaistev where they just always suck.

Also, Weegar came late into the league and Parayko is a great skater so I think they both have the ability to play later in their careers even if they end up being overpaid. Hope the cap goes up by then as well
I'm just terrified of being stuck with an unmoveable contract that makes adjusting essentially impossible. If we trade for Weegar/Parayko, we are set in stone for the foreseable future. It could work but it is a giant risk.

Obviously there is no surebet but those long contracts on a 30+ player are scary. I was a big fan of Parayko a few years back but if he has a bad back? No way.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Those are just convenient excuses. This is a results business and so far the results are non-existent. If our rebuild culminates with 6 straight years of being a top team in the conference but never winning a playoff round, we can all call it what it is, a gigantic failure.
It's the reality of a league that has intentionally done everything it can to increase parity. Call it whatever you want, but you need to be able to separate past results in small samples from the process if you want to be able improve going forward.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
No, I'm referring to this season or at least one season.

If Dorion could get us to the playoffs as a top team in the NHL I'd consider that results.
I'm referring to 5 straight years of round one losses.

There would rightfully be a lynch mob here in that scenario

Reactions: Relapsing

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
I'm just terrified of being stuck with an unmoveable contract that makes adjusting essentially impossible. If we trade for Weegar/Parayko, we are set in stone for the foreseable future. It could work but it is a giant risk.
Yeah thats true, but in saying that the risk will be reflected in the assets needed to acquire them.

Like a Chychrun is gonna cost us a 1st + Greig +, so when I factor that in I think the risk is worth it. SJS is also asking for two 1st for Karlsson. Would I rather have Weegar/Parayko + Greig or go all out for the best-fit contract/age-wise.

Ekholm has the shorter term, but is older and a lefty (ask is two 1sts as well according to Lebrun)

If acquiring Parayko is like JBD + (Seravalli's reporting) that's pretty attractive IMO

Last edited:

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I'm referring to 5 straight years of round one losses.

There would rightfully be a lynch mob here in that scenario

Someone commented that it's hypocritical to bash Dorion for lack of results while simultaneously thinking that Dubas is a good GM.

I don't agree because I think most of us would kill to be where the Leafs are right now relative to the last 5 years of our franchise.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Someone commented that it's hypocritical to bash Dorion for lack of results while simultaneously thinking that Dubas is a good GM.

I don't agree because I think most of us would kill to be where the Leafs are right now relative to the last 5 years of our franchise.
You know the Leafs missed the playoffs 10/11 years before 2016-17, right? What's even the point you're making anymore?

Well it would certainly be a bigger success than what we did the last 5 years, no?
LOL what a pointless statement.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
You know the Leafs missed the playoffs 10/11 years before 2016-17, right? What's even the point you're making anymore?

LOL what a pointless statement.

Pretty simple: I think Dubas is a good GM that makes smart moves and has placed his team in a position to succeed.

I love watching the Leafs choke every year as much as the next guy but the little brother syndrome often goes too far around here.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Pretty simple: I think Dubas is a good GM that makes smart moves and has placed his team in a position to succeed.

I love watching the Leafs choke every year as much as the next guy but the little brother syndrome often goes too far around here.
I disagree that Dubas is a good GM. The Leafs have failed to manage the cap appropriately.

That being said, Dubas has made a lot of good trades, can't deny that.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

So you evaluate Dubas based on how he's positioned his team but you evaluate Dorion based on results? And that doesn't seem totally ridiculous to you in any way?

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
So you evaluate Dubas based on how he's positioned his team but you evaluate Dorion based on results? And that doesn't seem totally ridiculous to you in any way?

I said like five times that I think being a regular season power house that is in a position to contend for the cup every year is results lol. Winning a cup is certainly a better result than a first round exist but as a Sens fan I would be very happy if we were perennially competitive and I think many would be with me on that.

What exactly are we arguing about here? Dubas is a failure because he can't get them over the hump? He's done what he can as a GM.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
TBL also were in the Conference finals the year before (2017-18) that series with CBJ. The year they lost to CBJ their record was 62-16-4 (128 points) and they finished 1st in NHL. So the Bolts had been good for awhile.
You ask yourself: Why is a contending team looking to offload an experienced D-man like Dumba when he should be a part of their playoff push?

You realize: He's not good and they are trying to take advantage of a desperate GM with a terrible pro-scouting department.
I want Ben chiarot playoff meastro

that better not be the "big deal"
It’s “The Big Lie”

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That's not the discussion. The discussion started with someone saying Dubas is a "good GM" and someone else saying he's a top 3 GM in the league. You can't be considered a good GM when your teams are perennial playoff losers. He's also given away the farm and we're not even sure they'll win in the first round this year either. How does that make him a good GM?
Meanwhile we have Dorion and his playoff record!

Reactions: bert

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I said like five times that I think being a regular season power house that is in a position to contend for the cup every year is results lol. Winning a cup is certainly a better result than a first round exist but as a Sens fan I would be very happy if we were perennially competitive and I think many would be with me on that.

What exactly are we arguing about here? Dubas is a failure because he can't get them over the hump? He's done what he can as a GM.
If your team loses in the first round every year, you haven't done everything you can. When Masai wanted to get the Raps over the hump, he went out and got Kawhi Leonard, traded away Demar and replaced Casey with Nurse. He didn't say "I've put this team in a position to succeed and it's their fault they can't get it done". What are you even talking about? They're in the same division as a team that's been to the Finals 3 straight times. That's a GM who's doing everything he can to get his team over the hump.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The problem with getting a D now is locking ourselves in and not being able to go in a different direction if better options are available this summer. Getting a guy like Dumba would feel like a big letdown and lock us out of anything better.
Dumba should absolutely not be an option right now. Parayko or Weegar only out of the players being discussed.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
most people wanted a GM who would add quality at the deadline

We were begging for a ROR type pickup lmao

interesting how saying Dubas has become a good gm has triggered some here
Lol, why are you comparing cup contenders that are going all in, to Ottawa.

thats the next step and i suspect if they don't do it then heads or players will roll

their core is very very talented. they can pivot at any moment

Compared to Ottawa's rebuild they are doing really well
They rebuild for like 10 years.

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005

How on earth is Toronto competing for a cup “every year” when they can’t get past the first round. Lol the hyperbole is insane…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad