Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You shouldn’t need to give up dbc to get weegar

I know there is a misconception that’s it’s immpossible to get a rHD but it really is not impossible

Acquiring a d-man without risky term is basically looking for a unicorn at this point. Other than Chychrun, shat avaioable d-men don’t come with term?
Wait till the off-season then? Ottawa is trying to make a deal for term at the worst possible time

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
You shouldn’t need to give up dbc to get weegar

I know there is a misconception that’s it’s immpossible to get a rHD but it really is not impossible

Wait till the off-season then? Ottawa is trying to make a deal for term at the worst possible time
Sure but that won’t change anything. My point is if we’re going to keep shying away from available d-men because of what that contract might look like in 5 years, this search is going to be a looong one.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Looking at past history I would certainly disagree.

Usually if teams are trading a core player (top 6 forward/top 4 D/#1 goalie) it's because they are either looking to move to the rebuilding phase or they are looking to open up cap space, and under either scenario they want cheap young NHLers, prospects or picks in return.

Demanding a good NHL player or two back in a DeBrincat "hockey deal" will likely limit his market and result in getting far less value back than if he were dealt to the team willing to pay the most value, whether in terms of players, picks or prospects, and then another deal were made to utilize the excess currency we'd have in futures to acquire a replacement top 6 forward, ideally one that doesn't cost anywhere near as much and allowing us the extra cap space to improve the D and in goal.

Teams aren't trading cheap young NHLers at the deadline, though. That's kind of my point. A team like Nashville probably isn't going to trade Fabbro + for Debrincat on Friday. Or St. Louis with Neighbours +. Vegas isn't going to make that big a deal right now, most likely. They might consider it in the summer.

This week, we'd basically limit the market to Carolina, and maybe Dallas? And anyone playing games for them in a meaningful role will be off limits.

So there's no reason to force a trade.

There'll be more options in the summer. There will always be futures packages available. But why not see what else might be there.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Teams aren't trading cheap young NHLers at the deadline, though. That's kind of my point. A team like Nashville probably isn't going to trade Fabbro + for Debrincat on Friday. Or St. Louis with Neighbours +. Vegas isn't going to make that big a deal right now, most likely. They might consider it in the summer.

This week, we'd basically limit the market to Carolina, and maybe Dallas?

No reason to force a trade.

NJ just traded Zetterlund in the deal for Meier. He's a cheap young NHLer.

It's not common for cheap young NHLers to be traded at the deadline because few high-end players are dealt every deadline, but when they are it's definitely not unusual for a good young NHLer to be a part of the deal.

If DeBrincat had been on the market we likely would have had NYI, CAR, VGK and DAL as major suitors. 2 of those teams already traded 1sts or 1st-round prospects for immediate help.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Sure but that won’t change anything. My point is if we’re going to keep shying away from available d-men because of what that contract might look like in 5 years, this search is going to be a looong one.
Not really

I have no problem taking on weegar but not if it costs us dbc

There a large amount of risk Ottawa is taking on in that deal what should not cost us a player of dbc calibre

We literally just saw Marino got for a b prospect. Ottawa should wait and see if prices drop leading to the deadline

The d market is soft rn

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
See this I don’t like. Make it or don’t. Should have just made the move at the start of the year if he’s going to do this
Also considering that we're looking for a D, we'd presumably be looking at options for next year and beyond as well. Doesn't make sense to wait in that case unless we're waiting for the market to come down or something

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
See this I don’t like. Make it or don’t. Should have just made the move at the start of the year if he’s going to do this

Seriously, all he's doing is limiting his options by waiting it out until Wednesday. If he really wanted to boost the roster he should have done it long ago. Any trade he makes this week should be with an eye on the future. No rental is going to make a major difference in our current position, whether we win these two games against DET or not.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Not really

I have no problem taking on weegar but not if it costs us dbc

There a large amount of risk Ottawa is taking on in that deal what should not cost us a player of dbc calibre

We literally just saw Marino got for a b prospect. Ottawa should wait and see if prices drop leading to the deadline

The d market is soft rn
How soft.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
How soft.
According to Friedman it’s a soft market with lots of D available so GMs are waiting to see if prices drop

McCabe just went for a protect late 1st at 2mill per for 2 more seasons

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
NJ just traded Zetterlund in the deal for Meier. He's a cheap young NHLer.

It's not common for cheap young NHLers to be traded at the deadline because few high-end players are dealt every deadline, but when they are it's definitely not unusual for a good young NHLer to be a part of the deal.

If DeBrincat had been on the market we likely would have had NYI, CAR, VGK and DAL as major suitors. 2 of those teams already traded 1sts or 1st-round prospects for immediate help.

Personally, I wouldn't have traded DBC for the packages traded for Horvat or Meier. I'd rather play the season out, make as good a run as we can, and do it in the summer if we have to. The risk of getting much less than is not great, IMO.

A 1st + prospects will be available then too. There's no reason to rush it. Worst case scenario is we don't get the trade deadline premium of an extra conditional 1st or 2nd, but that doesn't move the needle for me.

And maybe, a bigger, change-of-scenery type deal opens up. It's not like that never happens.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Obviously Dorion tried to make a deal earlier - the Senators have been linked to every defenseman that's become available over the last few months. The problem is that there's just no incentive - outside of a massive overpay - for teams to make players available prior to the deadline.

So the next few days are pretty much Dorion's only real shot at adding somebody at a relatively reasonable cost, and it's probably going to be a rental.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
According to Friedman it’s a soft market with lots of D available so GMs are waiting to see if prices drop

McCabe just went for a protect late 1st at 2mill per for 2 more seasons
It’s a top 10 protected 2025 1st and a 2nd. How is that a late 1st.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Obviously Dorion tried to make a deal earlier - the Senators have been linked to every defenseman that's become available over the last few months. The problem is that there's just no incentive - outside of a massive overpay - for teams to make players available prior to the deadline.

So the next few days are pretty much Dorion's only real shot at adding somebody at a relatively reasonable cost, and it's probably going to be a rental.
Yeah. So what would change in two days. We win both games so he break the bank? Dorion clearly has his price he’s willing to pay. He should stick to that. Don’t up the ante just because we beat detroit twice.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Fp_veEUWcAAuw7u

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: NB613 and guyzeur

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Personally, I wouldn't have traded DBC for the packages traded for Horvat or Meier. I'd rather play the season out, make as good a run as we can, and do it in the summer if we have to. The risk of getting much less than is not great, IMO.

A 1st + prospects will be available then too. There's no reason to rush it. Worst case scenario is we don't get the trade deadline premium of an extra conditional 1st or 2nd, but that doesn't move the needle for me.

And maybe, a bigger, change-of-scenery type deal opens up. It's not like that never happens.
If Debrincat signs his QO he will have very little value.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If Debrincat signs his QO he will have very little value.

How so? He could also be traded at the deadline next year, and with new ownership, we'll likely be able to retain money.

Bo Horvat, a pending UFA, was just traded for Beauvillier, Raty and a 1st? Is that very little value? Orlov is a pending UFA and was traded for a haul. Same with O'Reilly.

Did they get a bit less than Meier? Sure. But they're also worse players. Did they have little value? Of course not.

Why would Debrincat have little value as a pending UFA if those players still had lots of value? Debrincat will also have no trade protection, which ups his value.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It’s a top 10 protected 2025 1st and a 2nd. How is that a late 1st.
Cause the leafs pick will be in the 20s?
That’s a solid deal for a Top 4 deal for 2mill for two more seasons

Laff probably returns a 2nd/3rd

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
How so? He could also be traded at the deadline next year, and with new ownership, we'll likely be able to retain money.

Bo Horvat, a pending UFA, was just traded for Beauvillier, Raty and a 1st? Is that very little value? Orlov is a pending UFA and was traded for a haul. Same with O'Reilly.

Why would Debrincat have little value as a pending UFA if those players still had lots of value?
Very little value compared to today.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The Cat deal wasn't bad on its own, its fair value for an RFA. The larger issue is the rest of the moves around the summer. There was nothing done to improve the defense. The assets we had were spent on acquiring Talbot and a 2nd rounder from Washington.

I don't trust Dorion to move Cat right now for any deal (Aside from him saying he won't trade him), so I'd rather wait for the off season and try to trade him then if he doesn't accept $8million aav max when teams have more flexibility with cap.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Cause the leafs pick will be in the 20s?
That’s a solid deal for a Top 4 deal for 2mill for two more seasons

Laff probably returns a 2nd/3rd
The leafs could be a lottery team by then.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Yeah. So what would change in two days. We win both games so he break the bank? Dorion clearly has his price he’s willing to pay. He should stick to that. Don’t up the ante just because we beat detroit twice.
A lot can change in two days. I think if the Sens don't win both games against Detroit, Dorion probably won't do anything. Earlier in the year it may have made sense to pay a higher price to acquire a defenseman when the team had more runway to work with.

Prices can also change. As the deadline approaches, teams have to get more realistic on their ask for depth defenders like Nick Jensen, Trevor Van Riemsdyk, Dmitry Kulikov, etc.

I don't expect any bank breaking, but the results of these upcoming games probably tell him whether it's worth paying a moderate price [2nd round pick or thereabouts] to rent a defenseman for the stretch.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Not a fan of Toronto getting McCabe, they have a very deep roster but really hoping they get bounced in the first again with Acciari and ROR walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad