Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Trade deadline is silly season where teams throw away draft picks like they are trash because they think are one acquisition away from the cup.

Teams are typically a lot more stingy about trading picks, especially 1sts, around the time of the draft when that's what the focus is.

If we're talking about pure value, no question we'd get more trading DeBrincat now than in the summer.
Thank you. Now I am only advocating for this if he wont sign. Id rather they just sign him.

Reactions: GCK

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
It is possible to make more than one trade in a summer.

If all Carolina has to offer is a big value of package of prospects/picks ala New Jersey, you take the most value you can in that form and then trade prospects/picks in the offseason to add immediate help if you can't find it via UFA.

You can also just wait until the summer and make a decision then. Yes, if you get a blow your socks off offer, do it. But what San Jose got from New Jersey is not a blow your socks off offer if you're in Ottawa's situation.

I wouldn't feel any pressure to trade Debrincat this week if that's what's available from Carolina. There's no countdown clock right now. I'd wait an see what comes up in the summer.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Trade deadline is silly season where teams throw away draft picks like they are trash because they think they are one acquisition away from the cup.

Teams are typically a lot more stingy about trading picks, especially 1sts, around the time of the draft when that's what the focus is.

If we're talking about pure value, no question we'd get more trading DeBrincat now than in the summer.

Last summer Fiala was traded for a 1st (19OA) and Brock Faber. Fiala was a year away from UFA, like ADB will be this offseason.

That's probably the floor of what you'll get in June.

If Carolina offers a similar package that NJ traded for Meier tomorrow, would that entice me enough to make the move now rather than wait and see what comes up in the summer? Knowing that there is a floor of a 1st + good prospect?

Probably not.

Now, if they offer Jarvis... then I'd jump on it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You can also just wait until the summer and make a decision then. Yes, if you get a blow your socks off offer, do it. But what San Jose got from New Jersey is not a blow your socks off offer if you're in Ottawa's situation.

I wouldn't feel any pressure to trade Debrincat this week if that's what's available from Carolina. There's no countdown clock right now. I'd wait an see what comes up in the summer.

I have serious doubts that we'll get as much as San Jose did for Meier if we wait until the summer.

Meier got the equivalent of 3-4 1st round picks.

Reactions: bert

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Last summer Fiala was traded for a 1st (19OA) and Brock Faber. Fiala was a year away from UFA, like ADB will be this offseason.

That's probably the floor of what you'll get in June.

If Carolina offers a similar package that NJ traded for Meier tomorrow, would that entice me enough to make the move now rather than wait and see what comes up in the summer? Knowing that there is a floor of a 1st + good prospect?

Probably not.

Now, if they offer Jarvis... then I'd jump on it.

Teams would gladly pay a 1st + good prospect to rent a top line winger like DeBrincat for a post-season run. We're losing that rental price by waiting until the summer to deal him.

That's why Meier returned the equivalent of 3-4 1sts. Big value at getting first crack at re-signing him but also in renting him for this post-season should he decide not to re-sign.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I have serious doubts that we'll get as much as San Jose did for Meier if we wait until the summer.

Meier got the equivalent of 3-4 1st round picks.

Maybe not. But maybe we can get an NHL-ready player instead of just picks and prospects. We won't know who might be available until the good teams know how they did in the playoffs and the bad teams take stock of how they want to move forward.

I'd risk the lower return for the chance of being able to make a hockey deal.

What if Vegas loses in round 1 and comes to you in the summer and offers a 1st + prospect + the last year of Jonathan Marchessault to make the money work?

What if LA gets swept and offers Kempe, who's signed for 3 more seasons, 1-1 because they think DBC has a higher ceiling, they can re-sign him and they want to shake things up?

What if when Barry Trotz takes over in Nashville he offers Fabbro + pick + Granlund (again to make money work)?

I'd rather do a deal like that than just picks/prospects, but those aren't available right now.

Last edited:

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
No.

If LA doesn't win the cup this year, which is likely, I think they'd be much more interested in trading Roy + Iafallo (as an example) in the summer for Debrincat, so they can re-jig their team and make another run at the cup next year, than Roy + Iafallo for a late 1st, Suzuki and Rees.

The same goes for teams like Vegas, Carolina, Dallas, Pittsburgh, etc.

We're, by all reports, willing to spend $8M AAV to keep Debrincat. So if we trade him, we'll likely be willing to take $8M AAV back in return. There will be significantly more options to make that type of trade in June than this week.
LA does not need Debrincat or any other forwards.
Kings only need physical stay at home LD and good young goalie.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Even if we win both games I don’t think we should be going after rentals.
Yeah, I really don't see how the results from our next few games should have any impact on what we do at the deadline, it's frightening that Dorion might feel differently...

Now, if it was wait to see if anyone else becomes a seller, that makes perhaps a bit more sense, but we should only be targeting long term additions.

I suppose it's possible he just means if there's still a chance, albeit a long shot, maybe we won't make moves like Watson for a 5th, Brassard for a 4th or Gambrell for a 7th,

Reactions: Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Maybe not. But maybe we can get an NHL-ready player instead of just picks and prospects. We won't know who might be available until the good teams know how they did in the playoffs and the bad teams take stock of how they want to move forward.

I'd risk the lower return for the chance of being able to make a hockey deal.

What if Vegas loses in round 1 and comes to you in the summer and offers a 1st + prospect + the last year of Jonathan Marchessault to make the money work?

What if LA gets swept and offers Kempe, who's signed for 3 more seasons, 1-1 because they think DBC has a higher ceiling and they can re-sign him?

What if Barry Trotz takes over in Nashville and wants Debrincat for Fabbro + Granlund?

I'd rather do a deal like that than just picks/prospects, but those aren't available right now.

Players are always available for futures around the draft. As you have pointed out, DeBrincat and Fiala went for picks and prospects alone just last year. As did DeAngelo, Bjorkstrand, Dach, McDonagh, Marino, etc...

If you're able to put 1st round picks on the table, which we'd easily be able to do if a team were offering a similar package as NJ did for Meier, you can easily find a replacement top 6 forward.

Teams are often looking to clear cap in the summer to open up room for UFAs or to re-sign their own guys. It's not the ideal time to trade expensive players.

The trade deadline is by far the best time of the year to get maximum value for players. We're likely giving up a lot by keeping DeBrincat beyond this point, should he end up being traded of course.

I'm just pissed off that we don't know whether he's staying or going at this point. If Dorion is holding onto fool's hope that a new owner is going to come in and change DeBrincat's mind about re-signing, that's incredibly stupid. And the more likely scenario where we simply haven't been able to offer a big long-term extension with a sale pending begs the question why we traded for DeBrincat knowing that was a realistic possibility.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I wonder if there would be a Debrincat for Weeger deal available if we retain on Debrincat.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Players are always available for futures around the draft. As you have pointed out, DeBrincat and Fiala went for picks and prospects alone just last year. As did DeAngelo, Bjorkstrand, Dach, McDonagh, Marino, etc...

If you're able to put 1st round picks on the table, which we'd easily be able to do if a team were offering a similar package as NJ did for Meier, you can easily find a replacement top 6 forward.

Teams are often looking to clear cap in the summer to open up room for UFAs or to re-sign their own guys. It's not the ideal time to trade expensive players.

The trade deadline is by far the best time of the year to get maximum value for players. We're likely giving up a lot by keeping DeBrincat beyond this point, should he end up being traded of course.

I'm just pissed off that we don't know whether he's staying or going at this point. If Dorion is holding onto fool's hope that a new owner is going to come in and change DeBrincat's mind about re-signing, that's incredibly stupid. And the more likely scenario where we simply haven't been able to offer a big long-term extension with a sale pending begs the question why we traded for DeBrincat knowing that was a realistic possibility.

I think you're more likely to get impact players if you trade Debrincat for them instead of picks and prospects. There are always more teams who are trying to make the playoffs and want to retool than teams who are selling good players for pure futures.

Also, it's never an ideal time to trade expensive players if you can't take money back.

But if we have to trade Debrincat, we'll almost certainly be willing to take back $8M AAV, or close to it, back. Whether it's one player coming back, or a few. Because we're not rebuilding anymore. We're trying to make the playoffs.

Being able and willing to take back money will open up significant possibilities for us.

What Calgary did with Tkachuk last summer. That's the template I'd be looking at, even if it's a level down in terms of the calibre of players changing teams.

A team like San Jose doesn't want to take any money back. So acquiring a pure futures package makes sense for them.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
f***ing Leafs getting better. Would be hilarious if they made all these moves and lose out because they ignored their goaltending.

Reactions: Relapsing

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Weegar better be coming along with multiple 1sts.

Shouldn't have to pay anything to take on his 6.25M deal for the next 8 years until he's 38.

Why? He's a very good player. In 8 years, or even in 4 or 5, $6.25 will be a much lower percentage of the cap.

This team's window will be the next 5 seasons. That's what matters.

Reactions: GCK

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think you're more likely to get impact players if you trade Debrincat for them instead of picks and prospects. There are always more teams who are trying to make the playoffs and want to retool than teams who are selling good players for pure futures.

Also, it's never an ideal time to trade expensive players if you can't take money back.

But if we have to trade Debrincat, we'll almost certainly be willing to take back $8M AAV, or close to it, back. Whether it's one player coming back, or a few. Because we're not rebuilding anymore. We're trying to make the playoffs.

Being able and willing to take back money will open up significant possibilities for us.

What Calgary did with Tkachuk last summer. That's the template I'd be looking at, even if it's a level down in terms of the calibre of players changing teams.

A team like San Jose doesn't want to take any money back. So acquiring a pure futures package makes sense for them.

Looking at past history I would certainly disagree.

Usually if teams are trading a core player (top 6 forward/top 4 D/#1 goalie) it's because they are either looking to move to the rebuilding phase or they are looking to open up cap space, and under either scenario they want cheap young NHLers, prospects or picks in return.

Demanding a good NHL player or two back in a DeBrincat "hockey deal" will likely limit his market and result in getting far less value back than if he were dealt to the team willing to pay the most value, whether in terms of players, picks or prospects, and then another deal were made to utilize the excess currency we'd have in futures to acquire a replacement top 6 forward, ideally one that doesn't cost anywhere near as much and allowing us the extra cap space to improve the D and in goal.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Acquiring a d-man without risky term is basically looking for a unicorn at this point. Other than Chychrun, shat avaioable d-men don’t come with term?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad