Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Why not? Look what Jeannot and Meier just went for. The Rangers land Kane and Carolina has got to do something especially with Pacioretty out for the year.

We gave up a 7th OA pick for Debrincat. The difference between that pick and what we'd get back from Carolina (a late 20's pick) is massive. Even if you add a 2nd, 3rd and a 4th to it. People severely overrate the value of those picks.

If Ottawa has to trade Debrincat it needs to be for players that are already in the league and can play on this roster, in a meaningful role, next year. And playoff teams aren't giving up those guys right now.

DBC is a deal you do in the summer, if you have to.

Reactions: BondraTime

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
7th OA Plus 39th OA is hefty price for an unsigned player. The sens either extend him now or trade him by Friday.
I just don’t think that is happening.
Board said wait for new ownership.
I think if debrincat said I’m not signing here behind the scenes then we would see a trade. Don’t think that’s happened

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
7th OA Plus 39th OA is hefty price for an unsigned player. The sens either extend him now or trade him by Friday.

Trading him by Friday means a package of picks and prospects. In no circumstance should they trade Debrincat for purely futures.

They need at least one, or two, young roster players in return. You make that deal in the summer, not at the deadline. Playoff teams aren't trading roster players on Friday.

If Debrincat is traded it needs to be a hockey deal. We can take back salary. Not a firesale, let's hope we get guys who can contribute in 3-4 years, deal.

Reactions: NB613

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Why not? Look what Jeannot and Meier just went for. The Rangers land Kane and Carolina has got to do something especially with Pacioretty out for the year. Staal comes off the books next year. They can trade and sign Debrincat.
Jeannot got what he did because he's an 800k player likely to sign a 6 year 2mill AAV deal.

What do we get from Carolina? I would think it would be a futures based deal. No chance we return a Jarvis from them, they aren't giving up their top end D for him. They have no strong prospects.

Jack Drury + Ryan Suzuki/Jamison Rees + 1st maybe?

Don't think DBC has anywhere close to the value of Meier

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We gave up a 7th OA pick for Debrincat. The difference between that pick and what we'd get back from Carolina (a late 20's pick) is massive. Even if you add a 2nd, 3rd and a 4th to it. People severely overrate the value of those picks.

If Ottawa has to trade Debrincat it needs to be for players that are already in the league and can play on this roster, in a meaningful role, next year. And playoff teams aren't giving up those guys right now.

DBC is a deal you do in the summer, if you have to.
I am not sure why you are suggesting that package. His comparable value is to what San Jose just got. No idea why you came to that conclusion.

Dealing him in the summer will return way less than what the sens can get now. They have to sign him before friday or trade him.

Jeannot got what he did because he's an 800k player likely to sign a 6 year 2mill AAV deal.

What do we get from Carolina? I would think it would be a futures based deal. No chance we return a Jarvis from them, they aren't giving up their top end D for him. They have no strong prospects.

Thats pure speculation. He does come on a great contract though. He doesnt have multiple 40 goal seasons.

A comparable value deal to Meier would be

2023 1st, 2025 1st if they make it to the conference finals in 2023 or 2024 or it turns into a 2nd. Suzuki, Seeley and one of Rees, Gunler or Ponomarev.

Id do that deal if im the sens assuming Debrincat wont sign.

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

This.

You wait until the summer with Debrincat and target roster players. Roster players aren't available right now. But if Carolina flames out in the 1st or 2nd round, maybe they put Jarvis on the table in June. Or maybe a team like Seattle/Vegas gets involved and is willing to move off one of their contributing players to even out salary (like McCann, for example).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why not? Look what Jeannot and Meier just went for. The Rangers land Kane and Carolina has got to do something especially with Pacioretty out for the year. Staal comes off the books next year. They can trade and sign Debrincat.
The problem is Dorion already said he has no intention of trading DeBrincat at the deadline, there's an arms race and we're taking ourselves out of the running because we think maybe in the offseason we can sign him,

Idk if we'd get any offers that make a trade worthwhile, but we should absolutely be listening if DeBrincat isn't signed, idk, I'd be listening to offers on him and Batherson, and if there's something that makes us better for our window, do it.

Would be real nice to have an elite top 4 D, the days of Redden, Chara, Phillips, Volchenkov are sorely missed...

Reactions: Cosmix and Alex1234

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I am not sure why you are suggesting that package. His comparable value is to what San Jose just got. No idea why you came to that conclusion.

Dealing him in the summer will return way less than what the sens can get now. They have to sign him before friday or trade him.

Simply not true. There would be way more suitors in the summer because teams have more flexibility and are much more willing to make substantial changes to their roster. And we would be willing to take significant salary in return.

Only 1 team will win the cup. There will be way more disappointed GMs looking for that final piece in June.

And if I'm Ottawa, I have zero interest in the type of package San Jose got for Meier.

I want an NHL-ready player, even though it'll be a lesser player, as part of a package. For example, a Jared McCann from Seattle. Or an extended Matt Roy from LA. That type of deal is not happening on Friday.

A Dany Heatley for Milan Michalek type trade. That's what we'd be looking for. And those are summer deals.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Simply not true. There would be way more suitors in the summer because teams have more flexibility and are much more willing to make substantial changes to their roster. And we would be willing to take significant salary in return.

Only 1 team will win the cup. There will be way more disappointed GMs looking for that final piece in June.

If I'm Ottawa, I have zero interest in the type of package San Jose got for Meier.

I want an NHL-ready player, even if it's a lesser player, as part of a package. For example, a Jared McCann from Seattle. Or an extended Matt Roy from LA. That type of deal is not happening on Friday.
Simply true. You just argue for the sake of it please try and be open to an obvious conversation. Whoever gets him gets two shots at the cup if they cant sign him. Players always go for more at this time of year. Its proven literally every season but look at the last two weeks. So much overwhelming proof against your weak argument.

Why on earth wouldnt you like a comparable package that they just got for Meier they got a boat load.

2023 1st, 2025 1st if they make it to the conference finals in 2023 or 2024 or it turns into a 2nd. Suzuki, Seeley and one of Rees, Gunler or Ponomarev.

This gives the team a ton of assets. Replenishes the prospect pool and gives them cap flexibility and assets to aquire a d man when the asking price isnt sky high like it is right now before the playoffs.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Simply true. You just argue for the sake of it please try and be open to an obvious conversation. Whoever gets him gets two shots at the cup if they cant sign him. Players always go for more at this time of year. Its proven literally every season but look at the last two weeks. So much overwhelming proof against your weak argument.

Why on earth wouldnt you like a comparable package that they just got for Meier they got a boat load.

The got a boat load of pieces that may or may not pan out in 3-4 years. San Jose is just starting their rebuild. Like we were in 2018. It's a good deal for them. They want to bottom out. They want futures and minimal salary coming back.

We're in a much different spot. That deal does nothing for us.

We need NHL players in return if we have to trade DBC. Those players will only be available in the summer. Carolina is not trading roster players right now. Neither is Dallas, or LA, or Seattle. They'd be much more likely to do it in June though.

We need a Jared McCann in return. Or a Matt Roy. We're not getting a player like that if we trade DBC on Friday. We need to make a hockey deal. The deadline is not the time for hockey deals.

Reactions: kinghock

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
God someone gives us a new rumor so we can stop talking about the DBC trade for the 7th time this week.
I've heard McRib is coming back this year.

1677517627250.png

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The got a boat load of pieces that may or may not pan out in 3-4 years. San Jose is just starting their rebuild. Like we were in 2018. It's a good deal for them. They want to bottom out. They want futures and minimal salary coming back.

We're in a much different spot. That deal does nothing for us.

We need NHL players in return if we have to trade DBC. Those players will only be available in the summer. Carolina is not trading roster players right now. Neither is Dallas, or LA, or Seattle. They'd be much more likely to do it in June though.

We need a Jared McCann in return. Or a Matt Roy. We're not getting a player like that if we trade DBC on Friday. We need to make a hockey deal. The deadline is not the time for hockey deals.
I mean you clearly cant be objective here. You dont think flipping that amount of assets lands one of those types of players?

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I also have been wondering if DeBrincat is available myself. His body language since Dorion said he wasn’t going anywhere has been less than positive. Perhaps when we acquired him Dorion was green light for a contract extension and in now going to use that money elsewhere.

Like did PD play the board and mortgage the future to accelerate the rebuild and maybe save his job? Could Dorion be like Kuato from Total Recall and actually be mostly torso brain? That has to be the next level after galaxy brain.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I mean you clearly cant be objective here. You dont think flipping that amount of assets lands one of those types of players?

No.

If LA doesn't win the cup this year, which is likely, I think they'd be much more interested in trading Roy + Iafallo (as an example) in the summer for Debrincat, so they can re-jig their team and make another run at the cup next year, than Roy + Iafallo for a late 1st, Suzuki and Rees.

The same goes for teams like Vegas, Carolina, Dallas, Pittsburgh, etc.

We're, by all reports, willing to spend $8M AAV to keep Debrincat. So if we trade him, we'll likely be willing to take $8M AAV back in return. There will be significantly more options to make that type of trade in June than this week.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think when Weekes reported to watch DBC and us a few weeks ago, he was going to sign, but the ownership thing likely made everyone wait. They would know they pulse of where the negotiations are at and should (hopefully) act accordingly.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
tampa is always gave too much , watch last years .. :)..

its norm,
Cause their windows is closing, it's ok for them to sell the future picks cause they can restock the team with UFA anytime they want

Similar to Washington trade prime asset(s) cause they know their window has closed

Sens can't lure good UFAs as a decent price
Most people would have complained if he would have traded 2 1st ++ for JC at this conjecture* for the Sens.

*meaning they still have a chance for Connor Bedard.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Trading him by Friday means a package of picks and prospects. In no circumstance should they trade Debrincat for purely futures.

They need at least one, or two, young roster players in return. You make that deal in the summer, not at the deadline. Playoff teams aren't trading roster players on Friday.

If Debrincat is traded it needs to be a hockey deal. We can take back salary. Not a firesale, let's hope we get guys who can contribute in 3-4 years, deal.
I dont understand why you cant wrap your head around a futures deal when the team has none and its the biggest reason they couldnt get a top 4 d man this year. Its a flat cap league, cap space is valuable. Right now ready players are at an all time high in value. In the offseason and draft picks are king. Its about understanding the market.

This is all under the assumption that Debrincat wont extend before friday. He is a UFA with a 9 million dollar qualifying offer as of Friday his value plumets. Its the exact same thing as Mark Stone. Its already happened. Use your memory.

No.

If LA doesn't win the cup this year, which is likely, I think they'd be much more interested in trading Roy + Iafallo (as an example) in the summer for Debrincat, so they can re-jig their team and make another run at the cup next year, than Roy + Iafallo for a late 1st, Suzuki and Rees.

The same goes for teams like Vegas, Carolina, Dallas, Pittsburgh, etc.

We're, by all reports, willing to spend $8M AAV to keep Debrincat. So if we trade him, we'll likely be willing to take $8M AAV back in return. There will be significantly more options to make that type of trade in June than this week.
Thats not a comparable package to what San Jose got. Why cant you be straight up. Cant argue in good faith. Just a waste of time.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Debrincat trade was really exciting at the time but in retrospect it wasn’t the right move and it cost us a really valuable asset that could have been moved for D help.

Hell I’d rather have Korchinski than Cat at this point. I don’t think we’re in a position to make any noise before Korchinski is ready even if we add someone like Chychrun.
Some opinions are just hypocritical

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
You can have a 40 goal man in Debrincat or the mystery box.

The mystery box, the mystery box!! The mystery box could be anything, it could even be a Debrincat!!!!

6 seasons in the league

2 he scored 40
1 he scored 32 but almost certainly would have scored 40 but for COVID
3 he didn't score 40

Most importantly, he has played one season for the Sens and by the end of it he'll be closer to 20 than 40.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I dont understand why you cant wrap your head around a futures deal when the team has none and its the biggest reason they couldnt get a top 4 d man this year. Its a flat cap league, cap space is valuable. Right now ready players are at an all time high in value. In the offseason and draft picks are king. Its about understanding the market.

This is all under the assumption that Debrincat wont extend before friday. He is a UFA with a 9 million dollar qualifying offer as of Friday his value plumets.

Thats not a comparable package to what San Jose got. Why cant you be straight up. Cant argue in good faith. Par for the course for you. Just a waste of time.

We'll just disagree. Hockey deals happen in the offseason. Teams have flexibility and are willing to make substantial roster changes then. It happens every summer. That's not the case right now. The type of package San Jose got is of zero interest to me.

You can trade a PK Subban for a Shea Weber in the summer. Or a Dany Heatley for Milan Michalek. Or Patrik Laine or P.L Dubois. Those trade don't happen at the deadline.

Also, you're really the only poster who always seems incredibly agitated and takes everything personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad