Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Who knows though. The price should be high for dbc if we have to trade him. You can argue the move in hindsight, but at the time you swing for the fences on that one.
In theory based on what Meier and Jeannot just went for they should be able to retain as much or more that they gave up to get him right now if they deal him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Korchinski over Debrincat my lord 😂😂😂

The infatuation with prospects and picks over proven stars...
No, Korchinski over 1/1.5 year of DBC. Not that hard to understand.

DBC comes with an extension, or signs an extension. Sens are very happy. Deals like that almsot always are made with an extension in place, otherwise yopu don't trade capital like that. Fiala isn't returning a 17th + Faber if he doesn't come with a 7 year extension, and the Kings likely aren't trading for him without one in place.

If anyone is happy with giving up a Korchinski/Kaspar/7th overall for a year of DBC on a non playoff team, they're completely, utterly lost

Duchene was amazing as a Sen. Not sure there is anyone who would be happy with the year he put in with the Sens instead of Bowen Byram or Dylan Cozens. The player can be very good, while still also being an unsmart move in the scheme of things.

Last edited:

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Who knows though. The price should be high for dbc if we have to trade him. You can argue the move in hindsight, but at the time you swing for the fences on that one.

I’m not sure how the price could be higher than what we paid. He’s got less term and is having a down year.

These types of buy high sell low moves can work out for contending teams but not for us.

DBC comes with an extension, or signs an extension. Sens are very happy. Deals like that almsot always are made with an extension in place, otherwise yopu don't trade capital like that. Fiala isn't returning a 17th + Faber if he doesn't come with a 7 year extension, and the Kings likely aren't trading for him without one in place.

If anyone is happy with giving up a Korchinski/Kaspar/7th overall for a year of DBC on a non playoff team, they're completely, utterly lost

Need to factor in cost as well. If Korchinski is another Sanderson in 2 years then I don’t give a shit about DBC’s extension. He’s less valuable than that straight up.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m not sure how the price could be higher than what we paid. He’s got less term and is having a down year.

These types of buy high sell low moves can work out for contending teams but not for us.

Need to factor in cost as well. If Korchinski is another Sanderson in 2 years then I don’t give a shit about DBC’s extension. He’s less valuable than that straight up.
Oh I'd take Korchinski in the pipeline right now over DBC in the scheme of things for a team like the Sens, but I understand that my point of view on where the Sens are and what the team needs isn't reflective of others, have no problem with people wanting DBC longterm. I don't think he's a Sanderson though, great 2 way guy with amazing skating, vision and puck movement, but not close to Sanderson defensively.

Reactions: Mingus Dew

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016

DBC is not a UFA, we have the asset.

He is either signed or traded for something, so I would wait to see what that something is first before making a judgment.

That's why I was always okay with the DBC trade without an extension, as I think we got him for a good price. So we either sign him to a fair deal or trade him for something that can help us now

however, if we do have to trade him and f*** that up, then yes this will be a mess.

Reactions: senswon

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

He is either signed or traded for something, so I would wait to see what that something is first before making a judgment.

That's why I was always okay with the DBC trade without an extension, as I think we got him for a good price. So we either sign him to a fair deal or trade him for something that can help us now

however, if we do have to trade him and f*** that up, then yes this will be a mess.

But like logically we are going to trade him for less than we paid, right? There’s no real circumstance in which we get a better return unless another GM screws the pooch. Which is possible I guess but we can’t bank on it.

So we are going to downgrade the 2022 7OA for limited time with DBC during which we spun our wheels and accomplished nothing. That seems bad.

Reactions: Loach

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Our expirings are terrible. Things can only get so inflated.

GMs arent like “wow jeannot went for that? I better blow dorions socks off with an offer for watson”. We’re in a shitty spot trade wise right now

Watson does pretty well on the PK, has been a known physical presence for years and has been rumoured (or at least speculated) to be wanted by three/four teams. Has to driving up his price.

Talbot is 4th in quality starts % in the league and Hamonic is 30th in blocked shots and is averaging almost 19 minutes a game.

I don’t think it’s crazy we’d recoup our acquisition cost from those players at this point.

Could always just modify Watson’s wiki page to say he’s related to Jeannot somehow then start a Twitter rumour :laugh:

Reactions: bert

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Not sure how we could get a bigger return than we gave up for DBC.

Teams never wanted him at the price we paid last year, and this year he certainly hasn't made teams doubt that evaluation.

This isn't a situation where we took a guy in for a 3rd, and fed him icetime and points to increase his value. He's an RFA with a 9 million dollar QO who has had a much worse season than when he was traded with a year remaining on his contract.

Reactions: Mingus Dew

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016

Teams never wanted him at the price we paid last year, and this year he certainly hasn't made teams doubt that evaluation.

This isn't a situation where we took a guy in for a 3rd, and fed him icetime and points to increase his value. He's an RFA with a 9 million dollar QO who has had a much worse season than when he was traded with a year remaining on his contract.
I am not sure about a "bigger" return either, in the sense of overall value.

We are in a position where we are looking to acquire ready-now players so we would be looking for a completely different type of return.

I would assume DBC, if traded, would be for a hockey deal; Whether that be a top 6 forward or top 4 dman. I think with the cap situation being so tight this actually bolds well for us (for a hockey deal money needs to come back anyway)

If we were in a position to trade him for a futures-type return we would be in a bad spot but were not looking for that. Like the Duchene trade outcome was horrendous, I just think were in a much better place with this one.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

In what world is that the real return though? If Cat is traded there's obviously something you get in addition to that year...

What if he's used in a package to get a top 4D or if we get another 1st that we use to acquire a top 4D? It's all about how you manage the asset if you know he doesn't want to re-sign. If new management is taking care of that and not Dorion I think it's very hard to be on the bad side of that deal.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I am not sure about a "bigger" return either, in the sense of overall value.

We are in a position where we are looking to acquire ready-now players so we would be looking for a completely different type of return.

I would assume DBC, if traded, would be for a hockey deal; Whether that be a top 6 forward or top 4 dman. I think with the cap situation being so tight this actually bolds well for us.

If we were in a position to trade him for a futures-type return we would be in a bad spot, but were not looking for that.
Teams looking to trade NHL players or young NHL players are looking for prospects and picks.

If we're expecting a DBC trade to bring in NHL talent, we are going to be severely disappointed. Guys like DBC, Fiala, Meier, etc. etc. etc. go for future based packages, because the teams trading for them are looking to compete now.

DBC isn't an Eichel, he's not bringing back a Tuch type player.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Teams looking to trade NHL players or young NHL players are looking for prospects and picks.

If we're expecting a DBC trade to bring in NHL talent, we are going to be severely disappointed. Guys like DBC, Fiala, Meier, etc. etc. etc. go for future based packages, because the teams trading for them are looking to compete now.

Dbc is very likely to sign here long term.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
In what world is that the real return though? If Cat is traded there's obviously something you get in addition to that year...

What if he's used in a package to get a top 4D or if we get another 1st that we use to acquire a top 4D? It's all about how you manage the asset if you know he doesn't want to re-sign. If new management is taking care of that and not Dorion I think it's very hard to be on the bad side of that deal.
The year of DBC, if he is traded, is literally completely meaningless. Same way the 100 games of Duchene was completely meaningless. Has zero value wahtsoever for the Sens. Team spun their tires, and will have the return they get for him.

Gave up - 7th, 39th, future 3rd.

For the deal to be worth it, what we receive will need to be better than what we gave up

Dbc is very likely to sign here long term.
In which case we will be perfectly fine with what we gave up

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016

You also see Tkachuk/Huberdeau & Laine/Dubois-type deals. Not sure what will happen in the summer but to just assume we're gonna get a terrible deal for Debrincat is not where I am at yet.

Now it could very well happen, but I would wait and see

To your point, overall I do not think we will "win" the trade, but I think we can still make out fine. I was not very fond of the 7ova pick in the first place

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The year of DBC, if he is traded, is literally completely meaningless. Same way the 100 games of Duchene was completely meaningless. Has zero value wahtsoever for the Sens. Team spun their tires, and will have the return they get for him.

Gave up - 7th, 39th, future 3rd.

For the deal to be worth it, what we receive will need to be better than what we gave up

In which case we will be perfectly fine with what we gave up
At any number? I’m not being contentious I’m actually curious.

pls do something
Talbot for a 4th and watson for a condition 7th get LOUD REV up THE RED

Reactions: BUCKLE UP

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
But you don't need hindsight.

The moment the trade is made without an extension, hindsight isn't needed if he doesn't sign
Then the price goes way up though, right? This, at least, was done with the knowledge that he'd be a controlled asset for a year, then the window to negotiate in the summer.

I get what you're saying, for sure, but I think Dorion swung for an elite level player here using fairly minimal assets. We'll see how it turns out, but I like the aggressiveness personally (and I'm not a Dorion sympathizer).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Why not? Look what Jeannot and Meier just went for. The Rangers land Kane and Carolina has got to do something especially with Pacioretty out for the year. Staal comes off the books next year. They can trade and sign Debrincat.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
In theory based on what Meier and Jeannot just went for they should be able to retain as much or more that they gave up to get him right now if they deal him.
You would think. Again, not a Dorion sympathizer, but I think you make a deal for an elite level, pending RFA whenever you can - providing the price isn't catastrophic - and I don't think it was.

You mean they work for teams with a real GM - which we should have by the summer. I also think we re-sign DBC, this is a huge up and coming team and we'll be aggressive in looking to re-sign (IMO).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You would think. Again, not a Dorion sympathizer, but I think you make a deal for an elite level, pending RFA whenever you can - providing the price isn't catastrophic - and I don't think it was.
7th OA Plus 39th OA is hefty price for an unsigned player. The sens either extend him now or trade him by Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad