Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Didn't Brown express his intent to test free agency and thus leading to the trade? Not sure why that's being held against Dorion unless the complaint is the return.

Complaint is that he may have decided not to re-sign because Dorion traded his buddy Nick Paul, which definitely should have factored into how much we were to offer Paul.

And if he wasn't going to re-sign after trading Paul he also should have been dealt at the deadline, as we would have gotten more than a single 2nd for him.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Didn't Brown express his intent to test free agency and thus leading to the trade? Not sure why that's being held against Dorion unless the complaint is the return.
I think the trade was also facilitated to clear the money and get the 2nd to add to whatever we were offering for Chychrun, only to have the Chychrun trade fall apart at the time. I could be wrong though.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Dorion saw a chance to make the playoffs and went for it and as a fan I appreciate that, but what was frustrating was the C Brown move and then the Chychrun trade not happening. I get it, these things take time to happen, but to trade Brown in order to add Chychrun and it not happend hurt badly.

Then Norris getting hurt decimated us.

I'd like to see this team with a healthy Norris with DBC and Chychrun for a full year, but unfortunately that doesn't appear to be in the cards.

I think losing C. Brown has become overrated because we also lost Formenton.

I'm pretty sure Dorion was expecting to dress Formenton come regular season but got a wrench thrown into that plan.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

I'm pretty sure Dorion was expecting to dress Formenton come regular season but got a wrench thrown into that plan.
It's not really that, it's losing him and at the same time prepping for the Chychrun acquisition, which was "reportedly" happening at the same time that hurt. Remember when Brown was moved, everyone was mystified at the return, then some of the nerd hockey beat writers were saying they thought it was to clear $$ for Chychrun etc, but that acquisition never happened and that was one of the big things that screwed our season IMO.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's not really that, it's losing him and at the same time prepping for the Chychrun acquisition, which was "reportedly" happening at the same time that hurt. Remember when Brown was moved, everyone was mystified at the return, then some of the nerd hockey beat writers were saying they thought it was to clear $$ for Chychrun etc, but that acquisition never happened and that was one of the big things that screwed our season IMO.
I think the C. Brown trade was made to reduce salary for the forwards that had been or sere being acquired (Debrincat and Giroux), not Chychrun. The trade of Zaitsev was to create salary room for a new D (Chychrun).

I would really love to see us go after Schenn or Gudas in Free agency

Alos Bruce seemed to hint Perry would be a target for the Sens
We definitly need more truculence and physicality in our D and Fs.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think the C. Brown trade was made to reduce salary for the forwards that had been or sere being acquired (Debrincat and Giroux), not Chychrun. The trade of Zaitsev was to create salary room for a new D (Chychrun).

We definitly need more truculence and physicality in our D and Fs.
You might be right.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Floating ideas...

Alex Debrincat

Vs

Michael Rasmussen
NYI 1rst (18th)
Carter Mazur

Rasmussen plugs on the 3rd line and adds some good size and possesion skills with speed. Mazur is a very nice prospect and then the NYI 1rst.

You can then try to add a LW via trade or UFA.

Maybe

Alex Debrincat

Vs

Andre Burakovsky +

He has a good contract and produces quite a bit. Good size and speed.

Not optimistic we could get more than that.

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I dunno man, easy to sit here and look in the rear mirror and pretend to be cleaver but it was almost universally seen as a very good trade by Dorion when it was anounced. Not just by sens fans but by fans and experts around the league...
Well sure because everyone assumed he had insight on ADB re-signing.
Absolutely no one would have said “7thOA 2nd and 3rd for a 1 yr rental wow great deal!”

I’m not saying he’s not signing or we aren’t signing him but if those are the outcomes then it’s clear it was a stupid move.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He knew Formenton wasnt going to play. Its not overrated to lose a really good player thats hard to play against when you have no depth. The excuses for Pierre by the online contingent of the sens fans are mind blowing.

Reactions: Bileur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well sure because everyone assumed he had insight on ADB re-signing.
Absolutely no one would have said “7thOA 2nd and 3rd for a 1 yr rental wow great deal!”

I’m not saying he’s not signing or we aren’t signing him but if those are the outcomes then it’s clear it was a stupid move.
Never made sense even with an extension for where the team was if it was signing Giroux too.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

I think that's another issue with Dorion. With a situation as 'unique' as what's happening with Formenton, its better to hold onto your depth and assurance and at worst case you have Brown as a rental. Because he gambled, Dorion had to go bargain bin shopping anyway to get Motte

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Never made sense even with an extension for where the team was if it was signing Giroux too.

You could make the argument you didn’t know Sanderson was going to be that great this soon.
He could have been thinking a bridge for Sanderson around $3-5 etc. (be nice to have Joseph’s money back too. )
but yeah you might not be wrong, it’s was exciting though ;)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Losing both is definitely more than a flesh wound. Brown really could have helped that 3rd line. Brown with one of Paul or Formenton would have given us good depth , more flexibility and would have made absorbing the loss of Norris easier. When Pinto was a 2C . .. the drop off from 2nd to 3rd line was huge.
I'd put Formenton and Brown up against Greig and Joseph as 3L wingers and I don't think its close.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Some saw the potential risk in this trade, so not sure about the "everyone was in support of it part". Many (myself included) felt it was a short term focused move. It made some sense within the context of a team that was about to be sold, and a GM trying to have a good year for personal career reasons. There was always the tension of sacrificing long term objectives and benefits versus short term gains here.
Totally, it was a short term focused move and that's why I respect it. This team needed something, ANYTHING and the fanbase was done waiting. So PD made a move to sell hope with the upside of it being a catalyst for accelerating our path. How can we fault him for that?

We all need to rewind to how desperate this team was to send the right signals post EM. That's what ADC was, he was one part swing for the fences, one part symbolic gesture to the fanbase.

It cost us a 7th, which of course, very predictably people are clamouring about right now (before we know his fate I might add..) and that to me is really narrow sighted. Had he done nothing you can bet fans would have been crucifying him for the opposite. "We were a second liner away from being a playoff team..."

People are so quick to analyze things in a vacuum. We can all agree that this team desperately needed a pick me up last year. ADC was that. Had we made the playoffs, which we should have barring goaltending and a Norris injury, I don't think we would be having this conversation. We would be optimistic about a run next year with ADC resigned at his QO (which ironically is a worse situation.)

Instead, the plan didn't quite work out and predictably the revisionists among us who always seem to have the right answer are out in droves.

I'll take the GM that makes the odd gutsy move to improve the team and if it backfires I'm not going to hold him to the coals.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
If you have to trade him a year later for less than you originally gave up and didn't make the playoffs, it's an L. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good trade at the time, just that the end result is a loss. Going all in with pocket aces before the flop is a good move but you can still lose.

Assen na yo!
I can agree with this. So the outcome was an L, the original plan was not. 100%.

I for one don't expect my GM to have a crystal ball. So, yeah, it was an L in the grand scheme of things but it wasnt an L that should reflect poorly on the GM because, as you said, it was a pocket aces type bet at the time and you do that every time (I'd say more like pocket 10's but I'll happily use your analogy first...).

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He knew Formenton wasnt going to play. Its not overrated to lose a really good player thats hard to play against when you have no depth. The excuses for Pierre by the online contingent of the sens fans are mind blowing.

Lol settle down keyboard warrior, as if I’m one of those guys..

Losing C.Brown and Paul knowing you have guys like Formenton, Joseph, Pinto, etc able to step up isn’t awful thinking. Problem is, Formenton didn’t play, Joseph took a step back and Pinto was pushed up the lineup because of the Norris injury.

My post was based off my convo with Brass too, it didn’t seem as black and white as you think in terms of expectations of him playing.

Losing both is definitely more than a flesh wound. Brown really could have helped that 3rd line. Brown with one of Paul or Formenton would have given us good depth , more flexibility and would have made absorbing the loss of Norris easier. When Pinto was a 2C . .. the drop off from 2nd to 3rd line was huge.
I'd put Formenton and Brown up against Greig and Joseph as 3L wingers and I don't think its close.

Health permitting a potential 3rd line of Formenton-Pinto-Joseph would have been pretty good imo

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lol settle down keyboard warrior, as if I’m one of those guys..

Losing C.Brown and Paul knowing you have guys like Formenton, Joseph, Pinto, etc able to step up isn’t awful thinking. Problem is, Formenton didn’t play, Joseph took a step back and Pinto was pushed up the lineup because of the Norris injury.

My post was based off my convo with Brass too, it didn’t seem as black and white as you think in terms of expectations of him playing.

Health permitting a potential 3rd line of Formenton-Pinto-Joseph would have been pretty good imo
They knew formenton wasn't playing when they traded Brown.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Bratt is much better than DBC and would probably be our second-best forward. That would be the ideal scenario.
Not better than Tkachuk, Stu, batherson is debatable, so is Norris, and...Giroux.

So..no?

Before July 1:
To Car: Joseph RW/LW & Forsberg G ($5.7 mil)
To Ott: Andersen G (3 yrs @ $4 mil, 33 yrs old)

To NJD: Brannstrom LD & Gambrell C/LW ($1.85 mil)
To Ott: Severson RD (3 yrs @ $4 mil, 28 yrs old))

- approx. $8 mil in & $8 mil out
- NJD likely losing Severson for nothing & add a good young D depth
- Car likely losing Andersen for nothing & add some depth players
- Ott sheds enough salary to sign Andersen & Severnson, both have playoff experience

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
DBC - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Pinto - Sokolov
Jiri - Kastelic - Gauthier/Sabourin

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Severson
Kleven - Zub/JBD

Andersen - Sogaard G
Why do you want to trade Forsberg in that scenario? Pretty good 1a and 1b imo

Edit: just realized you kept dbc in that scenario

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What’s the deal with Batherson ?
Is he tradeable for the right piece ?

The reason I’m asking is because I was going to create a proposal on main boards but wanted to ask Sens fans first

Last time I made a proposal that included Sens player, you guys were on my ass
Why would they trade him at his all time lowest value? Atleast you asked but I get why people would be all over you it's a bad idea.

He wasn't a free agent until this offseason...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I dunno man, easy to sit here and look in the rear mirror and pretend to be cleaver but it was almost universally seen as a very good trade by Dorion when it was anounced. Not just by sens fans but by fans and experts around the league...
Because people assumed they were going to sign him. No one makes that trade for a rental. They also didn't have giroux yet.

All these crappy offers for DBC. 1st rounders... cmon guys, it's been 6 years with no playoffs. I dont give a damn about 1st round picks! The time to win is the next 5 years. If we get in the playoffs and win a round, maybe DBC re-signs at a reasonable rate.

We should be talking about moving our 2024 1st round pick for a Saros/Helly, and dumping Joseph and the Ryan contract.

As the Panthers have shown, it's all about getting in and getting hot. And having a Tkachuk
They absolutely cannot trade another first they need to get one. The Panthers had 122 points last year. The sens are not in the same situation. Stutzle is 21 so is Sanderson it's about sustained success teams don't trade 3 straight first rounders u less they are contenders.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Not better than Tkachuk, Stu, batherson is debatable, so is Norris, and...Giroux.

So..no?

Why do you want to trade Forsberg in that scenario? Pretty good 1a and 1b imo

Edit: just realized you kept dbc in that scenario

yea i get it, ottawa has the best players. that's why they were never in a playoff spot all season...

thinking batherson, norris and giroux are better than bratt is pure homerism.

he is on the same level as Brady and Stu but a better all around player right now.

If Bratt was on our team and Norris, Batherson, Giroux on NJ I bet you'd be saying Bratt is better and the other inferior.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad