Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG1165

Sep 9, 2010
Ottawa
All these crappy offers for DBC. 1st rounders... cmon guys, it's been 6 years with no playoffs. I dont give a damn about 1st round picks! The time to win is the next 5 years. If we get in the playoffs and win a round, maybe DBC re-signs at a reasonable rate.

We should be talking about moving our 2024 1st round pick for a Saros/Helly, and dumping Joseph and the Ryan contract.

As the Panthers have shown, it's all about getting in and getting hot. And having a Tkachuk

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
If we have to trade ADB we’d be crazy not to eat half his salary to drive up the value.
At $4.5 million there should be a lineup of teams for a 1 yr rental.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We sign him to a 9 mill deal and trade him at 4.5 the same off-season, we’re going to lose draft picks for circumvention, can bank on that.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
I think you either trade DeBrincat for a player or trade him for picks and flip those picks + for a replacement

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Really? I think DeBrincat for Kyle Connor would be perfectly acceptable. Likely 1000 or more acceptable trades.

Honestly a little hyperbole, but Erik would likely be the best player available in the off-season. The loss in value in any potential DeBrincat trade could be made up for with feels and vibez.

Plus I think it’s safe to assume all the Canadian teams are not a trading partner for DeBrincat. I suspect the list of teams he would accept a trade and then re-sign is small.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
All these crappy offers for DBC. 1st rounders... cmon guys, it's been 6 years with no playoffs. I dont give a damn about 1st round picks! The time to win is the next 5 years. If we get in the playoffs and win a round, maybe DBC re-signs at a reasonable rate.

We should be talking about moving our 2024 1st round pick for a Saros/Helly, and dumping Joseph and the Ryan contract.

As the Panthers have shown, it's all about getting in and getting hot. And having a Tkachuk
Nuts.

Ill be livid if they walk him to ufa. Sign now or he has to be dealt.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nuts.

Ill be livid if they walk him to ufa. Sign now or he has to be dealt.
I think its going to come down to 1. Does he want to stay and 2. If So at the right number that fits his role and position within the team salary structure.
If that ends up as a NO. We have to move him and ahead of qualifying him.

I'd like to see him want to stay for 7.5-7.8 somewhere in there but I don't think trading for him with no extension worked out will work out very well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We sign him to a 9 mill deal and trade him at 4.5 the same off-season, we’re going to lose draft picks for circumvention, can bank on that.
How so?
I mean, the Panthers won the president's trophy last year, they might not be as good as they were last year but they aren't as bad as they started the year, a slow start created a mirage that they weren't a very good team.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

In no scenario do you risk Dcat walking to UFA.

And first round picks are instrumental to perpetuating success so although there are plenty of situations where we could target something other than a pick, 100 times out of 100 you take a good asset like a 1st over him walking to UFA. So if that's what people want to talk about it is perfectly logical.

Also, Joseph might be overpaid but a replacement player would be minimum $2.25M. So you can talk about the $.7M we can save by moving Joseph all you want but it isn't the pressing issue you think it is.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
The last thing new ownership is going to want is for their new GM's first transaction to be one where he's guaranteed to take an L. Especially a high-profile one.

They'd be far better served by having Dorion eat it.

The L would be trading for him in the first place if you have to trade him the following off-season. Wouldn't you want the guy you trust, and not the guy you're moving on from, to be the one determining the return?

Assen na yo!

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Sorry, I don’t follow.
You qualify him because you have to protect the asset, it doesn’t mean you are just going to keep him and let him walk as a UFA.
f you can’t come to terms on a longterm deal you can then choose to trade the playerif you want, and you can retain salary if you have a slot.

Seems pretty straightforward.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The L would be trading for him in the first place if you have to trade him the following off-season. Wouldn't you want the guy you trust, and not the guy you're moving on from, to be the one determining the return?

Assen na yo!
The initial trade is a poor one, yes. I think it was a bit of a reactionary/panic type move.

Regardless, I think the value for this sort of player in this situation is fairly well established. We're going to get a pick in the mid/late 1st round as well as a secondary asset of lesser value [depth forward/2nd round pick]. I'm doubtful this changes substantially no matter who the GM is.

Whether the Senators can salvage something out of this hypothetical trade chain depends entirely on the amateur scouting staff. We need them to not pick a Lassi Thomson/Colin White/Shane Bowers/Jacob Bernard-Docker type.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

Assen na yo!
Why is it an L? When the trade was made everyone could see this as a possible scenario yet everyone was still in support of it. It isn't an L at all. We made a splash, we were selling hope, we were trying to establish a winning culture.

We didn't make the playoffs for myriad reasons that have nothing to do with ADC and here we are in a situation where we're going to try to recoup as much as possible OR sign the guy, which could still happen.

Faulting a GM for a trade like the ADC one is a vote in favour of GM's that sit on their hands.

After last off season and the Chychrun deal I am perfectly fine if PD is the guy to deal ADC. And as the other poster said, saddling a new GM with that kind of task is not a good play. Let him come in and focus on nothing but positives and milk good PR, not provide fodder to the critics.

New ownership should be in place by the draft, PD should be given the goal of sorting out the ADC situation by then and then, if they are going to move on from Pierre, they do it at some point post draft.

That said, I would not be the least bit surprised if they kept PD and DJ around until November(ish). That gives them a chance to assess the situation which is what new ownerships groups tend to do (overwhelmingly) and when/if they fire them for cause (poor start) it will give them a credibility boost. On top of that it will send a message to the players that new ownership is serious about winning. You aren't sending the same message to the fans or players if done in the off season.

But, what we all should think about is that maybe, just maybe PD's body of work is actually looked upon favourably within NHL circles and that after asking around ownership decides to stay the course. Crazy concept I know, but perhaps the people who ACTUALLY know how hard the job is and aren't chalk full of emotion and holding onto grudges see his work as above average. Personally thats how I think it will play out and I think they will both enter the season as members of the team, albeit on a pretty short leash.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
The last thing new ownership is going to want is for their new GM's first transaction to be one where he's guaranteed to take an L. Especially a high-profile one.

They'd be far better served by having Dorion eat it.

i rather the best thing for the ottawa senators.

also its crazy how much dorions job has just been to clean up after himself.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
How so?

I mean, the Panthers won the president's trophy last year, they might not be as good as they were last year but they aren't as bad as they started the year, a slow start created a mirage that they weren't a very good team.
They also have been pretty lucky so far. I wouldn't want to follow their blueprint. Would much rather follow a team that's up 3-1 without 3 top forwards...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They also have been pretty lucky so far. I wouldn't want to follow their blueprint. Would much rather follow a team that's up 3-1 without 3 top forwards...
I don't think you need to pick, but I am hesitant to compare the situations.

I mean, what's tougher, winning against a couple bubble playoff teams while missing your top forwards when you team is built around your D, or knocking off a Boston team that was breaking records, and then having a very strong albeit noted Chocker team in Toronto on the brink of being swept.

Personally, I think people have really been underestimating Florida, they aren't perfect but they are a really good team with a relentless forcheck.

Reactions: OD99

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
With the likelihood that Murray gets bought out the extra 1.3M gives enough wiggle room to offer Debrincat 7.5M x 8 and also add a quality veteran bottom 6 player and vet backup goalie to pair with Forsberg.

Reactions: PlayersLtd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad