Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think the chances of resigning Debrincat went down significantly today. The guy never wanted to leave Chicago and now their “rebuild” will be significantly sped up. They’ll be back in addition mode this summer.

Maybe we can trade him back and get Lukas Reichel in return.

Didn't even think of that.

Still think it would be far more likely for him to go there as a UFA next summer.

The Hawks will still suck next year even with Bedard. Can't see them dealing a nice asset for ADB.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Didn't even think of that.

Still think it would be far more likely for him to go there as a UFA next summer.

The Hawks will still suck next year even with Bedard. Can't see them dealing a nice asset for ADB.

That’s even worse for us. Hopefully ownership pushed Davidson to go for the playoffs.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
That’s even worse for us. Hopefully ownership pushed Davidson to go for the playoffs.

It would be.

Both the Wings and the Hawks should still have a crap ton of cap space after next season and that could make it more likely he takes the 9M QO.

Still think the most likely scenario is that Dorion signs him to his 9M QO and we end up keeping him.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They may not, which is why they would move him.

They know his value, they aren't morons

Look at Turris and Pheonix, they didn't like him, he was doing less than Laf, he returned a top prospect, of which the Sens right now don't have a comparable, and a 2nd
You mean a bust that they traded high on.

MelvinFinklethorpe

Sep 6, 2021
8M salary next year.

8 x .667 = 5.33 is buyout cost
5.33 / 2 years = 2.66 is buyout cost by year

Cash owed 23/24
Pre buyout 8 - post buy out 2.66 = 5.33 savings

Pre buyout caphit 23/24 6.25 - 5.33 savings = 920K which is new 23/24 caphit.

Cash owed 24/25
Pre buyout 0 - post buy out 2.66 = negative 2.66

Pre buyout caphit 24/25 is 0 so 24/25 new caphit is 2.66

Sens retained 25%

23/24 cap hit
Leafs 688K
Sens 230K

24/25 cap hit
Leafs 2M
Sens 667K

There you go. Next time just use the cap friendly calculator to save me the keystrokes

Not sure if anyone mentioned this about the Murray buyout situation but the extra year at 667k is basically negated by Colin White's weird -625k that year.

Please buyout Murray Dubas.

Reactions: Tuna99

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I think the chances of resigning Debrincat went down significantly today. The guy never wanted to leave Chicago and now their “rebuild” will be significantly sped up. They’ll be back in addition mode this summer.

Maybe we can trade him back and get Lukas Reichel in return.
We’re not getting Reichel. Other than him, what does Chicago have to offer?

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
I think St Louis was linked to DeBrincat and they have 3 first round picks

Could be a fit there

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
We’re not getting Reichel. Other than him, what does Chicago have to offer?

TB 1st round pick this year that is currently #20 but becomes #19 if Panthers eliminate Leafs

Sens have no picks in first 3 rounds this year

If Debrincat is willing to sign extension at affordable cost (Not 9M+) I am sure Hawks would have interest

If Sens believe he is gone getting a pick in this year's 1st round would not be bad IMO

It would be odd but players have been traded back to organizations before

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
TB 1st round pick this year that is currently #20 but becomes #19 if Panthers eliminate Leafs

Sens have no picks in first 3 rounds this year

If Debrincat is willing to sign extension at affordable cost (Not 9M+) I am sure Hawks would have interest

If Sens believe he is gone getting a pick in this year's 1st round would not be bad IMO

It would be odd but players have been traded back to organizations before
I’d imagine something like that would be an absolute last resort for Dorion. Trading a player back to the same team a year after and for much lower value would be a terrible look for a GM. Almost embarassing.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I’d imagine something like that would be an absolute last resort for Dorion. Trading a player back to the same team a year after and for much lower value would be a terrible look for a GM. Almost embarassing.

Maybe so but the cost to qualify him and limited market (Cap space is tapped out in alot of places) will be issue if he doesn't want to sign extension

And holding onto him for TDL carries plenty of risks

Probably longshot but as Hawk fan I missed watching Debrincat this year and Hawks very much need more offense and to start building around Bedard (Picks/Prospects are great but most of the Hawks are for long term development very little in guys ready now to contribute)

It will be interesting to see what happens with Debrincat/Sens either way

Reactions: Icelevel

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Is there anyway to get rid of the Joseph contract? I’m not sure how to move him

Almost 3 mil would really help our cap situation
Joseph will be part of some deal this offseason. He could be a contract thrown in to offset the cap hit of a goalie or something. He really brings very little to the table but maybe some team will get convinced of some perceived potential in him. He really shouldn't be part of the bottom six next season if the Sens are trying to take a step forward.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
We’ll see with Cat but could be a couple big factors at play. New ownership will get a chance to negotiate with him (if that’s done before the draft) and it may be a DJ Smith thing. I don’t think he wants to play for the guy.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ott: Connor Bedard
Chi: Derick Brassard, 2nd round pick, all of Ottawa’s 2022 pre-scouting report from the desk of Troy Mann

(Chicago of course has to pay the rookie signing bonus before this trade can be competed to even it out)

Reactions: bicboi64

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I know we don't see it often but an offer sheet for Laf could work out well this year. 4.2M is the upper end of a second rounder.

Could see a team like Chicago having interest in that. Maybe they'd have interest in Joseph as well. They have 8 forwards, 4 D and a goalie signed and are only at about 41.5m in used space.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I know we don't see it often but an offer sheet for Laf could work out well this year. 4.2M is the upper end of a second rounder.

Could see a team like Chicago having interest in that. Maybe they'd have interest in Joseph as well. They have 8 forwards, 4 D and a goalie signed and are only at about 41.5m in used space.

Kotkaniemi is probably the most instructive example. To get the team not to match, you really have to make the contract unattractive and the compensation worth taking. In the Kotkaniemi case, it was a one-year $6.1M contract which set a floor for his next qualifying offer, and a 1st and a 3rd (which can't be have protections) going back.

I think New York matches anything below $4.2M, and a team like Chicago wouldn't go over $4.2M because their unprotected 1st has too much value.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

They'll match anything short of an amount that gets them a 1st+ in return.

They aren't in that tight of a position this offseason. Got 11M in cap space to sign Miller, 5 depth forwards and 1 depth defenseman.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Trade him to a team that will give us 90% of what it will take to get Keller out of Arizona. I love Debrincat, I had a custom jersey made, but I wanted Keller more.

Tkachuk/Stu/Giroux
Keller/Norris/Batherson

It just works.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Trade him to a team that will give us 90% of what it will take to get Keller out of Arizona. I love Debrincat, I had a custom jersey made, but I wanted Keller more.

Tkachuk/Stu/Giroux
Keller/Norris/Batherson

It just works.
Wouldn’t get 50% of what it will take to get Keller.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Kotkaniemi is probably the most instructive example. To get the team not to match, you really have to make the contract unattractive and the compensation worth taking. In the Kotkaniemi case, it was a one-year $6.1M contract which set a floor for his next qualifying offer, and a 1st and a 3rd (which can't be have protections) going back.

I think New York matches anything below $4.2M, and a team like Chicago wouldn't go over $4.2M because their unprotected 1st has too much value.
I think 4.2 is hard for New york, they want to match because it wouldnt make sense not to but then they have to find someone to trade to make room and all thier subpar contracts have trade protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad