Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Given how slow the 4th line would be, they would probably only play Home Games. :)

I think Jiri is not going to make the team and play in the AHL.

A "fast player who is a good 2-way player" = Formenton!
Yeah, I like Formenton as a player. I'd prefer he continue to develop on the 3rd line though and not be counted on for offence in the top 6 though.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There's no way in the world I would trade Norris AND DBC for Karlsson. No way I'd trade Norris period for him, let alone him and DBC. DBC for Karlsson plus? Maybe, but even then, our defence should be set in theory.
If Debrincat refuses to sign a long term contract with Ottawa for an acceptable AAV such as $8M, I might trade him to San Jose for Karlsson IF we have no other acceptable desirable offers. There would have to be some significant salary retention by San Jose (at least $3M AAV). Our D would then be set and possibly best in the league. Having Karlsson would jump start our ES play and also be useful to make our PP even more effective.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If Debrincat refuses to sign a long term contract with Ottawa for an acceptable AAV such as $8M, I might trade him to San Jose for Karlsson IF we have no other acceptable desirable offers. There would have to be some significant salary retention by San Jose (at least $3M AAV). Our D would then be set and possibly best in the league. Having Karlsson would jump start our ES play and also be useful to make our PP even more effective.
We'd have a great D for sure. Sj would have to add imo

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He might be. Lucic has a little size on him & Lucic is the better goal scorer which could help our secondary scoring. MacDermid in Colorado is also huge & a very good fighter.

Lucic has probably made a lot more money than Reaves over his NHL career, I wonder if that would take away from him wanting to engage guys in fighting much at his age. Having a few guys who are willing to go & Ottawa has a few could also balance that out a little more. Reaves is probably more likely to engage than Lucic IMO.
I would like to have a couple of big bruisers so any 2 of Reaves, Lucic or MacDermid would be fine by me. :). Heck give me all 3!

We'd have a great D for sure. Sj would have to add imo

May be.

To Ottawa: Eric Karlsson at reduced contract AAV of $3M+)
To SJ: Debricat for 1 year at $9M if he will not sign long term here.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I would like to have a couple of big bruisers so any 2 of Reaves, Lucic or MacDermid would be fine by me. :). Heck give me all 3!

May be.

To Ottawa: Eric Karlsson at reduced contract AAV of $3M+)
To SJ: Debricat for 1 year at $9M if he will not sign long term here.
They'd never do that though, it doesn't make sense for them unless they just want to clear salary. I guess unless Karlsson demands a trade to Ottawa, which would be wicked.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So we need to bolster our bottom 6. I think Formenton will be back.

Formenton Pinto ?
? Kastelic ?

That's already a better bottom 6 regardless of how the ? are filled out.

Potential candidates to fill the question marks

Joseph
Gauthier
Kelly
Gambrell
Smegal
UFA

Of those, Joseph is a given unless he's moved so it's really only two spots. Kelly makes 762K next year, personally I'd pay him 800K to stay away. I like Gauthier. He's big, can skate, can shoot and I think we'll sign him

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So we need to bolster our bottom 6. I think Formenton will be back.

Formenton Pinto ?
? Kastelic ?

That's already a better bottom 6 regardless of how the ? are filled out.

Potential candidates to fill the question marks

Joseph
Gauthier
Kelly
Gambrell
Smegal
UFA

Of those, Joseph is a given unless he's moved so it's really only two spots. Kelly makes 762K next year, personally I'd pay him 800K to stay away. I like Gauthier. He's big, can skate, can shoot and I think we'll sign him
If Formenton is back, it raises the question of how much he'll cost, and how do we fit him in, that is, unless we're assuming DeBrincat is gone.

Right now, it seems like we have something like this:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
???-Stützle-Giroux
???-Pinto-Joseph
???-Kastelic-???

So top 6 option:
DeBrincat, Formenton and Greig

3rd line options:
Formenton, Greig,

4th line options:
Kelly, Sokolov, Gauthier, Smejkal, ect.

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If Formenton is back, it raises the question of how much he'll cost, and how do we fit him in, that is, unless we're assuming DeBrincat is gone.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
???-Stützle-Giroux
???-Pinto-Joseph
???-Kastelic-???

So top 6 option:

3rd line options:
Formenton, Greig,

4th line options:
I haven't looked at all the math on it, but if I'm Formenton I'm looking for a "I'm happy to be back in the NHL" contract.

Low 1s maybe.

Whereas had the HC situation not happened, I think last year he'd of been looking at a 2 year 4 million type contract = 1.8/2.2

Somehow I forgot about Greig. But I'm not nearly as high on him as most. I just don't see his body frame holding up to a lengthy, productive NHL career

Reactions: bicboi64 and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They'd never do that though, it doesn't make sense for them unless they just want to clear salary. I guess unless Karlsson demands a trade to Ottawa, which would be wicked.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
???-Stützle-Giroux
???-Pinto-Joseph
???-Kastelic-???

So top 6 option:

3rd line options:
Formenton, Greig,

4th line options:
Kelly has an NHL contract so he is on the team unless traded or waivered.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
DeBrincat at 9m will be hard to trade unless he wants to commit long term to the team he is traded to. And if Debrincat only wants to play in Detroit then we are in a bad position. Sanderson has to be signed soon and he will get big dollars. We also have to find a goalie at around 4 million.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
DeBrincat at 9m will be hard to trade unless he wants to commit long term to the team he is traded to. And if Debrincat only wants to play in Detroit then we are in a bad position. Sanderson has to be signed soon and he will get big dollars. We also have to find a goalie at around 4 million.
I've been thinking about that as well. If teams that are interested in him can talk to him about an extension/new contract, then the return could be good. Otherwise, I think it could be underwhelming. I doubt if a rebuilding team would show much interest in a player with just one year of term (his $9 m QO). I think you could cross that kind of team of the list (other than Detroit).

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Carolina looks like a good trade partner for DBC. Patches come off the books next year. A good old fashioned hockey trade, good for both teams.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Carolina looks like a good trade partner for DBC. Patches come off the books next year. A good old fashioned hockey trade, good for both teams.
Hmmm, nice fit.

1 / They're in win now mode.
2 / If they lose this year they're even more desperate, if they win they go all in on a dynasty.
3 / They are yet to mortgage any part of their future and have lots of capital
4 / They have nice depth pieces we would be interested in

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Carolina or a team with that kind of profile makes more sense. One of the more logical profiles would be a team that is already good but needs more scoring and has cap room to accommodate him.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Three scenarios when it comes to Debrincat:

1. He gets in line with the rest of the core and signs an 8M x 8 years deal
Ideal scenario. Not because I'm particularly enthralled with the player or his size (on the contrary), but because, all things considered, it'll be difficult to find a replacement or receive fair value in a trade, given the age/skill combo.

Tkachuk - Stützle - Giroux
Debrincat - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Pinto - Greig
Smejkal - Kastelic - Joseph
2. He gets traded to New Jersey in a hockey deal for Jesper Bratt
Both players are RFA, Bratt is a year younger. NJ does it to improve their pure goalscoring. Ottawa does it to provide Norris with a playmaker and potentially sign a cheaper contract (7-7.5M x 8 years), since Bratt doesn't have Debrincat's track record.

Bratt - Norris - Batherson
3. He gets traded to Nashville for a futures package including Jusso Parssinen and pick #15 in the 2023 draft. The deal could be expanded to something like Alex Debrincat + Erik Brännström + 2024 2nd for Dante Fabbro + Jusso Parssinen + 2023 #15.
Cat immediately becomes the Preds' second best forward and arguably their best goal scorer. Ottawa receives a big top 9 power forward with upside and gets to replenish the prospect pool with pick #15 in the upcoming draft (e.g. Lukas Dragicevic). Brännstrom and Fabbro both get a change of scenario with each fitting better on their new team (Brännström learning from Josi as an offensive minded LhD, Fabbro rounding out Ottawa's top 6 as a defensive minded RhD).

Formenton - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Parssinen

Chabot - Fabbro
Sanderson - Zub
Chychrun - Hamonic

Forsberg
Sogaard​

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I had a dream last night where I ended up on my phone and found an internet article where Claude Giroux orchestrated a trade between Ottawa and Philadelphia.

DeBrincat went to Philly and Ottawa got Laughton, Konecny and a 3rd.

It was so vivid when I woke up I looked up Claude Giroux news on my search engine.
I would take that all day

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Before July 1:
To Car: Joseph RW/LW & Forsberg G ($5.7 mil)
To Ott: Andersen G (3 yrs @ $4 mil, 33 yrs old)

To NJD: Brannstrom LD & Gambrell C/LW ($1.85 mil)
To Ott: Severson RD (3 yrs @ $4 mil, 28 yrs old))

- approx. $8 mil in & $8 mil out
- NJD likely losing Severson for nothing & add a good young D depth
- Car likely losing Andersen for nothing & add some depth players
- Ott sheds enough salary to sign Andersen & Severnson, both have playoff experience

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
DBC - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Pinto - Sokolov
Jiri - Kastelic - Gauthier/Sabourin

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Severson
Kleven - Zub/JBD

Andersen - Sogaard G

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I would take that all day

It’s about as good as we could do in the scenario where he decides not to sign.

I hope he stays. It’s a million times easier to find guys to plug into the bottom six for a year or two than it is to find a legit star.

DeBrincat is a stallion. I think he has the best chance to become the best version of himself here.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Before July 1:
To Car: Joseph RW/LW & Forsberg G ($5.7 mil)
To Ott: Andersen G (3 yrs @ $4 mil, 33 yrs old)

To NJD: Brannstrom LD & Gambrell C/LW ($1.85 mil)
To Ott: Severson RD (3 yrs @ $4 mil, 28 yrs old))

- approx. $8 mil in & $8 mil out
- NJD likely losing Severson for nothing & add a good young D depth
- Car likely losing Andersen for nothing & add some depth players
- Ott sheds enough salary to sign Andersen & Severnson, both have playoff experience

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
DBC - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Pinto - Sokolov
Jiri - Kastelic - Gauthier/Sabourin

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Severson
Kleven - Zub/JBD

Andersen - Sogaard G
I really like these moves. Andersen isn't a world beater but with a top 4 of:

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Severson

he wouldn't need to be.
The biggest current weakness is our tandem of Forsberg and Sogaard. Improving that is essential to making the playoffs and being a contending team next year.

Reactions: aragorn

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Three scenarios when it comes to Debrincat:

1. He gets in line with the rest of the core and signs an 8M x 8 years deal
Ideal scenario. Not because I'm particularly enthralled with the player or his size (on the contrary), but because, all things considered, it'll be difficult to find a replacement or receive fair value in a trade, given the age/skill combo.

Debrincat - Norris - Batherson
2. He gets traded to New Jersey in a hockey deal for Jesper Bratt
Both players are RFA, Bratt is a year younger. NJ does it to improve their pure goalscoring. Ottawa does it to provide Norris with a playmaker and potentially sign a cheaper contract (7-7.5M x 8 years), since Bratt doesn't have Debrincat's track record.

Bratt - Norris - Batherson
3. He gets traded to Nashville for a futures package including Jusso Parssinen and pick #15 in the 2023 draft. The deal could be expanded to something like Alex Debrincat + Erik Brännström + 2024 2nd for Dante Fabbro + Jusso Parssinen + 2023 #15.
Cat immediately becomes the Preds' second best forward and arguably their best goal scorer. Ottawa receives a big top 9 power forward with upside and gets to replenish the prospect pool with pick #15 in the upcoming draft (e.g. Lukas Dragicevic). Brännstrom and Fabbro both get a change of scenario with each fitting better on their new team (Brännström learning from Josi as an offensive minded LhD, Fabbro rounding out Ottawa's top 6 as a defensive minded RhD).

Formenton - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Parssinen

Chabot - Fabbro
Sanderson - Zub
Chychrun - Hamonic

Forsberg
Sogaard​

Bratt is much better than DBC and would probably be our second-best forward. That would be the ideal scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad