Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not sure if there is any truth to this, but thought it could be worth posting.

If Watson is gone I think the Sens look for some replacement toughness. Ryan Reaves or Milan Lucic seem like good targets for a 12th/13th F who can add some toughness to the bottom six.

Lucic will be playing for Team Canada with DJ Smith as one of the assistant coaches so that might lead to him signing with the Sens. He played with Matthew Tkachuk and seemed to be pretty thrilled at the crowd energy that Brady Tkachuk brought when he was a fan in the stands.

If the choice ends up being between Lucic and Reaves, which one do people prefer?

Hathaway could replace Watson as well

Reactions: Boud and Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

If Watson is gone I think the Sens look for some replacement toughness. Ryan Reaves or Milan Lucic seem like good targets for a 12th/13th F who can add some toughness to the bottom six.

Lucic will be playing for Team Canada with DJ Smith as one of the assistant coaches so that might lead to him signing with the Sens. He played with Matthew Tkachuk and seemed to be pretty thrilled at the crowd energy that Brady Tkachuk brought when he was a fan in the stands.

If the choice ends up being between Lucic and Reaves, which one do people prefer?

I'd be surprised if they went after either given their age, however if they do I would probably want Lucic who is a couple of yrs younger & can still score a little more than Reaves. Both are feared & would certainly turn this team into a much tougher team. I also like Lucic because he plays LW & I would like to see Sokolov on RW with Kastelic in the centre. Maybe Sokolov could help get this 4th line some pts & help with bottom six scoring. I could also see them go with Sabourin who might be a lot cheaper than either.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Smejkal - Kastelic - Perry
Perry would bring truculence!

I'd be surprised if they went after either given their age, however if they do I would probably want Lucic who is a couple of yrs younger & can still score a little more than Reaves. Both are feared & would certainly turn this team into a much tougher team. I also like Lucic because he plays LW & I would like to see Sokolov on RW with Kastelic in the centre. Maybe Sokolov could help get this 4th line some pts & help with bottom six scoring. I could also see them go with Sabourin who might be a lot cheaper than either.
I think Reaves is the better fighter.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Perry would bring truculence!

I think Reaves is the better fighter.
He might be. Lucic has a little size on him & Lucic is the better goal scorer which could help our secondary scoring. MacDermid in Colorado is also huge & a very good fighter.

Lucic has probably made a lot more money than Reaves over his NHL career, I wonder if that would take away from him wanting to engage guys in fighting much at his age. Having a few guys who are willing to go & Ottawa has a few could also balance that out a little more. Reaves is probably more likely to engage than Lucic IMO.

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Hathaway could replace Watson as well
Yeah he could be a possibility. I was thinking that the Sens need more of a legit enforcer type to replace Watson. It was actually one of the things that Watson struggled with is that given he isn't very effective of a fighter, that it took away from what he could contribute.

The Sens need to bolster the bottom six so multiple moves could be done. I think getting Reaves or Lucic as the 13th forward could be good.

Hathaway would be a solid add for the 4th line though. It will be interesting to see what moves the Sens make.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He might be. Lucic has a little size on him & Lucic is the better goal scorer which could help our secondary scoring. MacDermid in Colorado is also a very good fighter.
I guess another argument in favor of Lucic is that he could actually take on somewhat of a mentorship role. With Kateslic on the 4th line and then prospects like Sokolov, Ostapchuk and Boucher possibly getting games next season, Lucic might be able to pass some important knowledge onto those players.

Also like you said, he has more offense to his game as well and would likely be able to produce more than Reaves.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Well based on what we know about the Sens UFAs, it sounds like the Sens are only looking to add pure depth players on 1 year contracts. The only players that are UFA forwards that would likely sign a 1 year contract are:
Zach Parise, Corey Perry, Ryan Reaves, Kyle Okoposo, Nick Foligno, Milan Lucic or possibly someone like Nick Ritchie

Reaves and Lucic offer the enforcer role and they would be comfortable possibly not playing every game. Ritchie is younger but less effective if you are bringing him in for the enforcer role.

I think the Sens only want one year deals for those 4th line type of players because they expect prospects like Greig, Sokolov, Reainhardt, Jarventie, Crookshank, Ostapchuk and Boucher to be pushing for spots relatively soon.

Lucic and Reaves at least have a role that can't be easily replaced from a prospect, whereas some of the other forwards that might sign a one year deal might be less effective than just giving some of the prospects a chance.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I guess another argument in favor of Lucic is that he could actually take on somewhat of a mentorship role. With Kateslic on the 4th line and then prospects like Sokolov, Ostapchuk and Boucher possibly getting games next season, Lucic might be able to pass some important knowledge onto those players.

Also like you said, he has more offense to his game as well and would likely be able to produce more than Reaves.
Given they just signed that Jiri guy at 26 yrs old who is pretty big it's likely for the NHL & not the AHL. Not sure why an older Euro would come to Belleville to play when he could probably make more in Europe but maybe it's for that 4th line. Jiri - Kastelic - Sokolov line might actually be able to put up some pts although it would be a pretty slow line. Gauthier at RW would give them more speed if Jiri has some puck handling & playmaking skills otherwise I would prefer Soko. Gauthier IMO has to be put on a line with playmakers who can get him the puck in scoring positions so he can contribute offensively for this team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He might be. Lucic has a little size on him & Lucic is the better goal scorer which could help our secondary scoring. MacDermid in Colorado is also huge & a very good fighter.

Lucic has probably made a lot more money than Reaves over his NHL career, I wonder if that would take away from him wanting to engage guys in fighting much. Having a few guys who are willing to go & Ottawa has a few could also balance that out a little more. Reaves is probably more likely to engage than Lucic IMO.
Having both Perry and Reaves on the 4th line would add a lot of size and truculence! Great for the playoffs.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
How about Erik Karlsson? DeBrincat, Brännström and Norris is the bait for Erik and a 3rd RD plus a 3rd F who is cheap and useful.

Brady Tkachuk - Tim Stützle - Claude Giroux 23.1
Mathieu Joseph - Shane Pinto - Drake Batherson 12
Yegor Sokolov - Ridly Greig - Julien Gauthier 4
Jiri Smejkal - Mark Kastelic - Dylan Gambrell 3

Thomas Chabot - Erik Karlsson 19.5
Jakob Chychrun - Artem Zub 9.2
Jake Sanderson - Bernard-Docker 3
Jacob Larsson - Lassi Thomson

Anton Forsberg 2.8

77 million

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Who is the enforcer on any of the teams remaining in the playoffs?

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

Reavo by a mile.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
How about Erik Karlsson? DeBrincat, Brännström and Norris is the bait for Erik and a 3rd RD plus a 3rd F who is cheap and useful.

Brady Tkachuk - Tim Stützle - Claude Giroux 23.1
Mathieu Joseph - Shane Pinto - Drake Batherson 12
Yegor Sokolov - Ridly Greig - Julien Gauthier 4
Jiri Smejkal - Mark Kastelic - Dylan Gambrell 3

Thomas Chabot - Erik Karlsson 19.5
Jakob Chychrun - Artem Zub 9.2
Jake Sanderson - Bernard-Docker 3
Jacob Larsson - Lassi Thomson

Anton Forsberg 2.8

77 million
f*** no?

I think you get futures for DBC if he doesn't sign and then take a look at the market for a fast winger who is a good 2 -way player who is either a cap dump or a free agent.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It would be ideal to trade DeBrincat for similar player who fits our play style better like Guentzel.

I would also definitely explore DeBrincat for Crouse +.

Crouse-Stutzle-Giroux
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton/Greig-Pinto-Joseph
Smejkal-Kaestlic-Gauthier

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Gudas
Chychrun-Hamonic/JBD

Saros/Helly
Soogard

Tom Wilson would be amazing but too injury prone.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I think you get futures for DBC if he doesn't sign and then take a look at the market for a fast winger who is a good 2 -way player who is either a cap dump or a free agent.

As it is now the playoffs are a long shot. San Jose players loved having Erik on the team last season. The same thing might happen in Ottawa. It will raise many players ambitions. Sure, second LW is up for grabs in this scenario. With so many players in the age 21-26, a D-man you can play with and who thinks hockey one step further might do wonders for such a squad.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
As it is now the playoffs are a long shot. San Jose players loved having Erik on the team last season. The same thing might happen in Ottawa. It will raise many players ambitions. Sure, second LW is up for grabs in this scenario. With so many players in the age 21-26, a D-man you can play with and who thinks hockey one step further might do wonders for such a squad.
There's no way in the world I would trade Norris AND DBC for Karlsson. No way I'd trade Norris period for him, let alone him and DBC. DBC for Karlsson plus? Maybe, but even then, our defence should be set in theory.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Given they just signed that Jiri guy at 26 yrs old who is pretty big it's likely for the NHL & not the AHL. Not sure why an older Euro would come to Belleville to play when he could probably make more in Europe but maybe it's for that 4th line. Jiri - Kastelic - Sokolov line might actually be able to put up some pts although it would be a pretty slow line. Gauthier at RW would give them more speed if Jiri has some puck handling & playmaking skills otherwise I would prefer Soko. Gauthier IMO has to be put on a line with playmakers who can get him the puck in scoring positions so he can contribute offensively for this team.
Given how slow the 4th line would be, they would probably only play Home Games. :)

I think Jiri is not going to make the team and play in the AHL.

f*** no?

A "fast player who is a good 2-way player" = Formenton!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah he could be a possibility. I was thinking that the Sens need more of a legit enforcer type to replace Watson. It was actually one of the things that Watson struggled with is that given he isn't very effective of a fighter, that it took away from what he could contribute.

The Sens need to bolster the bottom six so multiple moves could be done. I think getting Reaves or Lucic as the 13th forward could be good.

Hathaway would be a solid add for the 4th line though. It will be interesting to see what moves the Sens make.
The Sens have talked about bolstering their bottom six but with what is the question? Do they want more scoring from the bottom six or do they want a tougher bottom six for the playoffs or both? There are less & less enforcers in the league every yr but IMO every team still needs at least one but more importantly would be to have one that can also skate, score & play like Lawson Crouse LW. If Formenton is not coming back I would love to see them make a package deal for Crouse, he's young, he's big, he's tough & he can score & put up pts. I guess it will depend on what Arz wants for Crouse, he could be expensive, they need him to protect their skilled guys too.

Given how slow the 4th line would be, they would probably only play Home Games. :)

I think Jiri is not going to make the team and play in the AHL.

A "fast player who is a good 2-way player" = Formenton!
It does seem like a waste of a contract to bring Jiri over if he is pencilled into Belleville doesn't it? I wonder what will happen to Formenton next yr whether he is part of this team or put in a package for something?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The Sens have talked about bolstering their bottom six but with what is the question? Do they want more scoring from the bottom six or do they want a tougher bottom six for the playoffs or both? There are less & less enforcers in the league every yr but IMO every team still needs at least one but more importantly would be to have one that can also skate, score & play like Lawson Crouse LW. If Formenton is not coming back I would love to see them make a package deal for Crouse, he's young, he's big, he's tough & he can score & put up pts. I guess it will depend on what Arz wants for Crouse, he could be expensive, they need him to protect their skilled guys too.

It does seem like a waste of a contract to bring Jiri over if he is pencilled into Belleville doesn't it? I wonder what will happen to Formenton next yr whether he is part of this team or put in a package for something?
I think Dorion is hoping Smejkal will make the team; however, the fact that he is signed to a 2-way contract looks like Smejkal did not have any other better offers with one-way contracts and the Senators were not willing to give him one either. Because of that I suspect he does not have the skill to become an NHL player (unless our internal budget is rearing it ugly head again).

The London Police have been very silent on the case for quite some time now and given the political interference in the case it seems odd that nothing has come out of the review by now. As I do not know what the Senators and league know, it is difficult to say the team should sign Formenton. It is also difficult to say that the team should trade him because we do not know what will be acquired in return. I hope the team signs him because we could definitely use his skillset on the 3rd line and the PK. None of our AHLers seem ready to take on that role at this time.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
There has been some support here for bringing Karlsson back, but that's just too much value and much more than he should cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad