Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Would think and hope Senators focus on getting another good goalie. If Debrincat is interested in resigning, he and the goalie are about the only 2 more major type moves that could be possible with a $83.5 m cap.

It's a different outlook or story if Debrincat is moved. In that scenario, they could look at adding another decent forward.
I am watching the goalies playing in these playoffs and I really dont think they should be spending any assets on getting anyone. First of all we have none second of all this teams biggest problem is forward depth that is hard to play against. They need to invest in that.

Brossoit, Grubauer, Skinner, Samsonov, Raanta, Andersen, Schmid.... None of these guys have great pedigree. They're all about the same except for some guys like Vasi (who even struggled this year).

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Is it time to start sniffing around Lafreniere as a reclamation project? It’s certainly doesn’t seem like it’s going to work in NY after a Sam Mitchell playoff statline. If the sens move Cat I wouldn’t mind seeing him get a shot with a combination of Stutzle, Norris, Giroux and Batherson.

Even if Cat is back, I’d rather give Laf a shot with Pinto than whatever our internal options are (at least until Greig can put on some muscle).
If he can be had for cheap, I'd be fine with trying to develop him or Kakko. Rags don't have capspace to keep Tarasenko, Kane, Miller and Laf unless they try to move Goodrow or Lindgren.

Reactions: Bileur

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I am watching the goalies playing in these playoffs and I really dont think they should be spending any assets on getting anyone. First of all we have none second of all this teams biggest problem is forward depth that is hard to play against. They need to invest in that.

Brossoit, Grubauer, Skinner, Samsonov, Raanta, Andersen, Schmid.... None of these guys have great pedigree. They're all about the same except for some guys like Vasi (who even struggled this year).
I was thinking more of getting the goalie via free agency, so no assets other than $s. I'm thinking that perhaps a 1b type goalie could work which assumes that Forsberg is healthy and would be part of the tandem. We have about $5 m to spend if Debrincat can be signed to a $8 m contract (& we dump Joseph). Even Saros (if he's actually available of course) could be accommodated as his cap hit is $5m.

I just think that our goaltending situation could be a head wind for our playoff aspirations.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613 and bert

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I was thinking more of getting the goalie via free agency, so no assets other than $s. I'm thinking that perhaps a 1b type goalie could work which assumes that Forsberg is healthy to be part of the tandem. We have about $5 m to spend if Debrincat can be signed to a $8 m contract (& we dump Joseph). Even Saros (if he's actually available of course) could be accommodated as his cap hit is $5m.

I just think that our goaltending situation could be a head wind for our playoff aspirations.
We need consistent goaltending next year. It can't be .980 sv% one week and .880 sv% the next. I don't know which solution fixes that problem but if it's going out and getting a bonafide starter who doesn't spend the whole year going through peaks and valleys, then that's what they should do. We also had a pretty bad low danger shot save percentage. That's a problem that needs to be fixed and if it's with a quality starting G, then so be it. Make it happen. This is the only issue we have left. Depth forwards are a dime a dozen, it's the easiest part of the roster to resuscitate.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Raanta, Brossoit, Samsonov, Schmid and Skinner were all expected to be the backup or split starts with another goalie.

If anything those goalies provide evidence for why we need to add insurance in goal in case Forsberg falters or gets injured again.

We don't necessarily need to acquire a legit #1, but at the very least we need a 1B that can step in, as Sogaard is nowhere near ready for full-time NHL duties.

If we can't acquire a young #1 we need to look at guys like Francouz, Hill, DeSmith, Wedgewood, etc...

Reactions: NB613 and Snowwy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hellebuyck or Gibson if they can find the means to acquire one of them & pay the salary. Gibson might be cheaper than Hellebuyck to acquire although slightly more expensive salary.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I was thinking more of getting the goalie via free agency, so no assets other than $s. I'm thinking that perhaps a 1b type goalie could work which assumes that Forsberg is healthy and would be part of the tandem. We have about $5 m to spend if Debrincat can be signed to a $8 m contract (& we dump Joseph). Even Saros (if he's actually available of course) could be accommodated as his cap hit is $5m.

The cost for Saros would be astronomical. Id be willing to look at Varlamov or Andersen as they can be had for free but I dont think this team should be blowing the budget.

Raanta, Brossoit, Samsonov, Schmid and Skinner were all expected to be the backup or split starts with another goalie.

If anything those goalies provide evidence for why we need to add insurance in goal in case Forsberg falters or gets injured again.

We don't necessarily need to acquire a legit #1, but at the very least we need a 1B that can step in, as Sogaard is nowhere near ready for full-time NHL duties.

If we can't acquire a young #1 we need to look at guys like Francouz, Hill, DeSmith, Wedgewood, etc...
Soogard and Schmid are the same age. So I dont really see how thats providing that type of evidence. This team has no assets to get anyone. They have traded all their picks. Goalie is going to have to be a no asset commitment to get and no one should be signed to big dollars for a long time.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Soogard and Schmid are the same age. So I dont really see how thats providing that type of evidence. This team has no assets to get anyone. They have traded all their picks. Goalie is going to have to be a no asset commitment to get and no one should be signed to big dollars for a long time.

NJ wasn't counting on Schmid to save their bacon.

They had Vanecek and Blackwood as NHL goalies, with Daws and Schmid expected to split starts in the AHL. They came prepared in case one of their NHL goalies blew it or got injured.

If we're smart we'll have Sogaard and Merilainen splitting starts in the AHL, with a quality backup behind Forsberg, who I'll remind you is coming off of multiple MCL tears.

Anything less would be asking for another bottom 10 finish.

Reactions: GCK

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Norris is no 1C
People sleeping on this guy!

40+ goal potential, solid defensively (especially for his experience) good in the dot and can PK.

Has sneaky speed as well.

He doesn't fit my typical definition of a C as I am a traditionalist and gravitate towards guys that are distributors first but I think he is our most underrated player. If he can stay healthy next year he will shock a lot of people.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
As for assets, as embarrassingly short on quality prospects and picks as we are after a complete tear down rebuild and 5 years of sucking, we should have more than enough to acquire a decent 1B goalie.

I don't know what Colorado would ask for Francouz, but he's a career .919 SV% goalie making 2M for next season. They have traded away so many picks and prospects the past couple years I could see them dealing him for one to help replenish the pipeline.

Maybe a deal based around Formenton if the new ownership group refuses to re-sign him.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014

40+ goal potential, solid defensively (especially for his experience) good in the dot and can PK.

He doesn't fit my typical definition of a C as I am a traditionalist and gravitate towards guys that are distributors first but I think he is our most underrated player. If he can stay healthy next year he will shock a lot of people.
I'm a believer as well. We would have easily made the playoffs this year if he didn't go down.

Reactions: OD99 and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
NJ wasn't counting on Schmid to save their bacon.

They had Vanecek and Blackwood as NHL goalies, with Daws and Schmid expected to split starts in the AHL. They came prepared in case one of their NHL goalies blew it or got injured.

If we're smart we'll have Sogaard and Merilainen splitting starts in the AHL, with a quality backup behind Forsberg, who I'll remind you is coming off of multiple MCL tears.

Anything less would be asking for another bottom 10 finish.
But he is thats my point. All these other journeymen goalies are doing it. That's exactly what I am pointing out. I dont mind the idea of getting a back up for Forsberg thats fine but they shouldnt be spending any assets to do so.

MCL tears are literally nothing they dont need surgery. I have torn both mine. Forsberg is fine I see him almost every day he lives on my street he is running around playing with his kids.

Formenton is exactly what the sens are missing much more than a goalie in my opinion.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I'm a believer as well. We would have easily made the playoffs this year if he didn't go down.
Lets hope those shoulders hold up. That could dictate a lot for this teams direction. Would hate to see the team put themselves in a good position only to lose him again and kill their chances.

Reactions: OD99

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

We’ll see. We’re banking on a guy who had one good season and now has a bum shoulder.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We’ll see. We’re banking on a guy who had one good season and now has a bum shoulder.
One good season is underselling him,

Mid to late 1st round pick who's progression has been as good as you can hope for

2019-20 leads AHL rookies in scoring, 4th overall and 3rd in goals in the ahl

2020-21 3rd in rookie scoring in the NHL, 25 g pace, 51 pts pace as a rookie.

2021-22 35 g in 66 games, 25th in the league, a 44 g pace, 55 pts, a 68 pts pace.

Add to that, he has a mature two way game, and is a career 52% at the faceoff dot, and you've got a very good player even if he's plateaued

The shoulder is a potential concern, but if surgery went well it can be a non issue going forward, we have to wait and see.

Reactions: OD99 and Masked

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The cost for Saros would be astronomical. Id be willing to look at Varlamov or Andersen as they can be had for free but I dont think this team should be blowing the budget.

Exactly. If we're going to get another goalie it should be the UFA type. No assets. Sogaard isn't that far away. We don't need to trade assets and sign big contracts

Reactions: bert

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
One good season is underselling him,

Mid to late 1st round pick who's progression has been as good as you can hope for

2019-20 leads AHL rookies in scoring, 4th overall and 3rd in goals in the ahl

2020-21 3rd in rookie scoring in the NHL, 25 g pace, 51 pts pace as a rookie.

2021-22 35 g in 66 games, 25th in the league, a 44 g pace, 55 pts, a 68 pts pace.

Add to that, he has a mature two way game, and is a career 52% at the faceoff dot, and you've got a very good player even if he's plateaued

The shoulder is a potential concern, but if surgery went well it can be a non issue going forward, we have to wait and see.
His draft position and production outside of the NHL means nothing at this point. He’s getting paid $8M now on a full length contract.

Time will tell if he’ll continue to progress and develop his game.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Ya, I agree that Saros would be expensive. I used him as an example to demonstrate we have the budget to get a good goalie if that's what they want to do. I'm good with getting a 1b from Free Agency as I mentioned in my post. That's definitely my preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
His draft position and production outside of the NHL means nothing at this point. He’s getting paid $8M now on a full length contract.

Time will tell if he’ll continue to progress and develop his game.
Sure it means something, it shows he didn't come out of nowhere, he's had steady progression from start to finish.

You're acting like he might be a flash in the pan, but he's been developing well from the moment we traded for him. That has predictive value,

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Isn't that exactly what they did with Talbot, a move you've spent all year blithering on about???

So, getting a guy with 400 starts and good career numbers is bad but getting guys like Francouz, etc. with around 100 career starts and marginally worse stats would be good?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Isn't that exactly what they did with Talbot, a move you've spent all year blithering on about???

So, getting a guy with 400 starts and good career numbers is bad but getting guys like Francouz, etc. with around 100 career starts and marginally worse stats would be good?
I could be wrong but Hale has admitted to initially being on board with acquiring Talbot but recognized in hindsight it was a poor evaluation by himself and the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hale The Villain

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Textbook recency bias.

He didn't play this season and Stutzle so broke out so obviously Norris isn't a 1C anymore lol.

He was a 1C and then some just last year.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
As much as I like Norris, I think Stu has surpassed him. Stu was the most defensively responsible centre on his line, back checked as much as Norris did, and is more versatile in his offensive ability. Only clear upgrade Norris has over him is his shot and FO numbers.

I think Stu is more of a 1C than Norris is, but this is a good 'problem'. Let Stu cook teams 5on5, while Norris sets up office on the PP and is an Ovie-lite threat.

Reactions: Relapsing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad