Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I believe that all of the players involved in this incident had contracts with their NHL teams with the exception of Formenton which is one reason why they got to play. Hopefully, with a new ownership group they can move on from this & Formenton gets another chance as a young man who made a big error in judgement.

If not, maybe he gets a chance somewhere else & Ottawa tries to get something in return for a pretty good fast bottom six player. I hope we see him in the lineup for next season, he makes our team so much better & provides bottom six scoring.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I never heard that the NHL ordered him Not to sign Formenton.

Do you have a link to that?
No I do not have a link to a specific statement. I was going on memory. The only quote I could find related to a "directive" was :

“I think we all want to have answers,“ said Dorion. “I’m the father of a kid that I pay Hockey Canada fees to and I think we all want to have answers, but at the same time, I’m also the GM of an NHL team. We’ve been given the directive that until the NHL investigation is over not to comment.” Toronto Star 21 September 2022

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Does this mean that Dorion's comment referring to the league ordering the Senators NOT to sign Formenton was not the whole truth?
Dorion never said that. He said that he wasn’t allowed to TALK about the possible issues surround HC and Formenton. He always maintained that the two sides just didn’t see eye to eye on a deal. The subtext there is to deflect and leave the door open in my opinion. No one looked bad in terms of a messy negotiation, it just never happened and wasn’t talked about.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Dorion never said that. He said that he wasn’t allowed to TALK about the possible issues surround HC and Formenton. He always maintained that the two sides just didn’t see eye to eye on a deal. The subtext there is to deflect and leave the door open in my opinion. No one looked bad in terms of a messy negotiation, it just never happened and wasn’t talked about.
Agreed. I was going on memory, which was faulty. :)

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As previously stated, he was charged. Plus, his charges were related to his duties while employed with the team. Also, his skill set was not that difficult to replace.

Assen na yo!
So talented people should Be treated differently? If you're charged your guilty but investigayed is fine? Not sure how harrassment of a driver is related to his duties.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We don’t know yet
You can't offer sheet somebody under contract, so ya, we do.

Players become free agents on 1 Jul, the draft is on 28-29 June. There's a week long interview period, but the actual offers aren't signed until they are actually free agents on 1 Jul

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I believe it also has to be the Senator's own pick, not an acquired pick. The Senators have traded their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2023.
Good thing he doesn't become a RFA until after the 2023 draft, (sorry for the snark)

Reactions: Cosmix

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
On a bit of a different note, having the Melynk daughters being PR and press aware and not wanting to create controversy isn't necessarily a bad thing. We all know all the headlines dad made over the years.

Part of changing the culture and reputation of the organization is avoiding stepping into muddy issues. They took the safe route here by removing a distraction from the team.

It sucks for Formenton, but hopefully the kids think about that before engaging in any hotel room activities in the future.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
On a bit of a different note, having the Melynk daughters being PR and press aware and not wanting to create controversy isn't necessarily a bad thing. We all know all the headlines dad made over the years.

Part of changing the culture and reputation of the organization is avoiding stepping into muddy issues. They took the safe route here by removing a distraction from the team.

It sucks for Formenton, but hopefully the kids think about that before engaging in any hotel room activities in the future.
Yeah, sucks for Formenton lmao

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If the situation results in Formenton being able to play again, I think he'll just be moved. It seems Menyk's daughters would prefer the safe route of not having any muddy issue around, which I understand.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If the situation results in Formenton being able to play again, I think he'll just be moved. It seems Menyk's daughters would prefer the safe route of not having any muddy issue around, which I understand.

I don't think they'll have a say anymore in a few months, certainly not a veto, so what happened this year shouldn't affect next season imo

Reactions: BUCKLE UP

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wally on Coming in hot suggested a couple UFA targets in Bunting and Bertuzzi if we trade DeBrincat.

Not sure how I feel about those, Bertuzzi seems a bit injury prone and will cost a fair bit, Bunting may be the product of his linemates. Not terrible ideas but come with risk.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Wally on Coming in hot suggested a couple UFA targets in Bunting and Bertuzzi if we trade DeBrincat.

Not sure how I feel about those, Bertuzzi seems a bit injury prone and will cost a fair bit, Bunting may be the product of his linemates. Not terrible ideas but come with risk.
I feel like Bunting is a guy that might get a 5+ year deal with a $4+ million aav. I personally wouldn't risk it given he seems to be a benefactor of his linemates, but even if he wasn't, getting him wouldn't help our penalty situation. Dude led the Leafs penalties with 103

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I feel like Bunting is a guy that might get a 5+ year deal with a $4+ million aav. I personally wouldn't risk it given he seems to be a benefactor of his linemates, but even if he wasn't, getting him wouldn't help our penalty situation. Dude led the Leafs penalties with 103
I'm not concerned about the penalties since he draws more than he takes (barely), so a lot of those are likely the coincidental variety where he takes someone else off with him in a scrum, and if we're putting him with Stützle and Giroux, he'll still be able to benefit from his linemates.

5 years takes him to 33 which is a bit of a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad