Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals Thread 2013-2014 | Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The team is full of good players that could be plugged into other good teams and thrive.
I don't think the players' ability is the problem. It's either mental/motivation or coaching.
It might even be the city which can have a real depressing negative vibe.
Or a trickle down effect from melnyk.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I'm not advocating a trade, or saying that it's something we should do.

I guess this thread is for speculating trades of every player except Karlsson?

Anyway, it would be interesting to see what other teams would be willing to offer for him.

Maybe because there's a realistic chance that Spezza is moved? and there are no chance Karlsson is moved anytime soon. That's just bad lol

Your attempts to deflect criticism away from Spezza has not gone unnoticed.

This. Always the same thing, find someone on who I can bash to deflect the attention, pick up our leading scorer outscoring all of our forwards, also being better in +/- than the player I try to defend.

bigray19

Nov 21, 2013
I can't defend Spezza's play this year but I'll never understand the "trade Spezza" crap.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I can't defend Spezza's play this year but I'll never understand the "trade Spezza" crap.

I don't think majority of people want him traded, I know he can be a lot better, and I don't want him traded, just think it's realist to think he could be, Karlsson though lol come on..

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
1/3 inside joke on these boards ("Trade Spezza" has been a meme here for years)
1/3 people reacting to his slump this season
1/3 seem have never liked Spezza in the first place

I want Spezza traded but dont fit in any of those categories.

Injuries/Asset management

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I want Spezza traded but dont fit in any of those categories.

Injuries/Asset management

Revised Table:

33% inside joke on these boards ("Trade Spezza" has been a meme here for years)
33% people reacting to his slump this season
33% seem have never liked Spezza in the first place
1% logical, rational reasons

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Revised Table:

33% inside joke on these boards ("Trade Spezza" has been a meme here for years)
33% people reacting to his slump this season
33% seem have never liked Spezza in the first place
1% logical, rational reasons

Thanks. They're not all crazies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Thanks. They're not all crazies.

I think we're up to about 1.7% now!

If these trends continue...

tumblr_lxb0rwCPR41qd5p07o1_500.gif

angrydad

Oct 20, 2011
To the people that say it is a terrible mistake to trade Spezza because his talent can't be replaced. I don't think its so easy to state this as fact or even the point of trading Spezza.

Let's take a look at the Boston Bruins and Joe Thornton. They traded him because they felt that they could never win with him as "the guy." What happened no doubt stung immediately as he went on to win the art & hart in the same year and the Bruins finished bottom five. But we all know Joe hasn't won, and the Bruins have. The Bruins identified what they believed was the problem (leadership). The majority of fans hated the deal at the time. How do you think they feel now? They were forced to make a culture change and it paid off.

My point is that it would no doubt hurt losing the talent of Jason Spezza, but with all the rumblings of poor leadership and the nonchalant atmosphere. Perhaps trading Spezza should be taken seriously.

There are always ways of acquiring talented players. It may take a year, it may take five years but it will happen. Just because we trade Spezza does not mean that we will never have a number one center again. Players emerge from the organization, players become available through trade. The sens don't have to be married to Spezza until he retires.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I heard that same comparison to Jumbo Joe a few days back, and to me it's really spot on. Both are fantastic players, but it's not necessarily in the best interest of their respective franchises to keep & build around them.

I stuck up for Spez for years, but I bought into his talk about modeling his game around Yzerman. A lot of fans thought that he may grow into that type of guy, yet at 30 there are zero signs of that happening.

I don't think Murray (or any other GM) would let him go, but it might be time for that culture change.

The Fuhr*

Spezza makes 5.0 this season
Makes 4.0 next season
Find me a career PPG player Spezza's age that makes less then him?

Our internal budget makes Spezza impossible to move... Production per dollar is to important with our budget

angrydad

Oct 20, 2011
Spezza makes 5.0 this season
Makes 4.0 next season
Find me a career PPG player Spezza's age that makes less then him?

Our internal budget makes Spezza impossible to move... Production per dollar is to important with our budget

If you are trading Spezza do you expect Ottawa to take on a big contract? I would imagine Spezza would be traded for a package of youth/picks/prospects. Off the top of my head I can't think of a team that has a struggling expensive star that Spezza could potentially be traded for in a "hockey trade" (a trade when its a player for player deal).

Money is a huge factor for this team absolutely, But if he is traded it doesn't necessarily mean that big dollars are coming back. Also, the fact that his actual pay is less than his cap hit adds to his trade value

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The team is full of good players that could be plugged into other good teams and thrive.
I don't think the players' ability is the problem. It's either mental/motivation or coaching.
It might even be the city which can have a real depressing negative vibe.
Or a trickle down effect from melnyk.

You know, I wouldn't discount that at all. Ottawa is a strange city. A quiet, political town, the scourge of the rest of the country. A lot of transient workers from around Ontario and Quebec. There is a sinister undercurrent in this city. Lots of tension.

The Fuhr*

I don't understand why our defense and bottom six still need work.

BM has been in charge for 6 1/2 years... Bottom six forwards should not be a decade long journey to put together... Same with the defense

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

BM has been in charge for 6 1/2 years... Bottom six forwards should not be a decade long journey to put together... Same with the defense

Had Cowen played to his abilities, we really wouldn't look at defense as such a key factor to our struggles. We have Ceci developing and (imo) PW is a promising young dman. I wish PW would see more time out there but that has little to do with Murray.

Then we have Boro, Claessen and Wikstrand in the system who all appear to be promising prospects (in the sense that they have a good shot of being NHL players). Of course, he also drafted EK and traded for Methot.

To say Murray hasn't done a good job building the D is a little outrageous imo. Perhaps the most glaring issue with the d was not adding a better vet to help take minutes while the younger guys develop. Corvo has been up and down, and Phillips has struggled a bit. Is that Murray or the budgets fault though?

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

and the bottom 6 forwards are more about players underperforming (and possibly coaching issues) than talent. Even you were pretty bullish on Greening in the offseason, but he's been a dissapointment in terms of offensive production. Same for Conacher. Condra has struggled too. Players have to own a BIG piece of the blame pie imo.

The Fuhr*

If BM did not have the money for the Blueline... Why is MM here?
We could have amnisty bought him out... Those buyouts come out of the players share of revenue.

Boom right there 6.0 opens up in cash this summer

The Fuhr*

and the bottom 6 forwards are more about players underperforming (and possibly coaching issues) than talent. Even you were pretty bullish on Greening in the offseason, but he's been a dissapointment in terms of offensive production. Same for Conacher. Condra has struggled too. Players have to own a BIG piece of the blame pie imo.

1 playoff series win in 7 years after this season is the players fault?

This should be a team with stability and treading upwards... Defense and bottom six should no longer be an issue

Team was giving 30+ shots a game last year as well... Team was bailed out by insane goaltending

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
To the people that say it is a terrible mistake to trade Spezza because his talent can't be replaced. I don't think its so easy to state this as fact or even the point of trading Spezza.

Let's take a look at the Boston Bruins and Joe Thornton. They traded him because they felt that they could never win with him as "the guy." What happened no doubt stung immediately as he went on to win the art & hart in the same year and the Bruins finished bottom five. But we all know Joe hasn't won, and the Bruins have. The Bruins identified what they believed was the problem (leadership). The majority of fans hated the deal at the time. How do you think they feel now? They were forced to make a culture change and it paid off.

My point is that it would no doubt hurt losing the talent of Jason Spezza, but with all the rumblings of poor leadership and the nonchalant atmosphere. Perhaps trading Spezza should be taken seriously.

There are always ways of acquiring talented players. It may take a year, it may take five years but it will happen. Just because we trade Spezza does not mean that we will never have a number one center again. Players emerge from the organization, players become available through trade. The sens don't have to be married to Spezza until he retires.

Boston got fortunate that Chara signed there. How many marquee UFAs are we gonna sign with an internal budget?

Moreover, prior to their Cup winning season, plenty of people were calling Chara a choker and saying Boston needed a new captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad