Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals Thread 2013-2014 | Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fuhr*

Hello hindsight bias. How many people thought Michalek was going to struggle this season?

4G in 23GP last year coming off an injury...

From what I gather nothing is on management and it's all the players fault.

That's not how the sports world works... Either get results or you don't and after 7years the fan base should expect to see them.

I look at the rebuild the team just went through and honestly the teams not that good.

Hopefully Ryan and Spezza re-sign in 18 months or we are looking at another 3-5 years of mediocrity and that's only if the 2nd rebuild goes well

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
I want Spezza traded but dont fit in any of those categories.

Injuries/Asset management

I half fit into this grouping the main reason i want him oved is because i feel wed get neccassary peices back for him like say a 1st in the next draft.... but to be honest ive never thought he was the type of player u build a team around hes the type of player you insert to make an already good team more lethal hence why i think we could get a truck load for him in trade from the right team at the right time.... hes not a leader hes always been a follower he is unbelivably good at what he does but what he does is not working for us anymore without alfy to cover his ass all the time... if we had a solid leadership group and a few more working peices id suffer spezza staying quietly because hed accent the possitives well but since were lacking alot its making his already glaring weaknesses far more aparent and more frustrating to watch... I want him moved because long term and short term i feel it would be the best move for the team, though i do hate his ****ing guts.....thats not why i want him traded.hes declining hes injury prone hes a defensive liability on a team with a suspect defense.... he does us no favors

Spezza makes 5.0 this season
Makes 4.0 next season
Find me a career PPG player Spezza's age that makes less then him?

Our internal budget makes Spezza impossible to move... Production per dollar is to important with our budget

If he does not get traded this^^^ is why..... hes a bargain at his price but thats right now in two years hell demand a contract at or around 7mil and well pay full price for his declining skill set.....id rather move him while his attractive contract makes him more valuable in trade then try to move him after his skills decline further and he gets harder to fit into a teams budget....just sayin....

The Fuhr*

Alfredsson 32GP 27Pts
VS
Ryan 37GP 32Pts

But if you take Alfredsson you also get to keep
Silvferberg - 12GP 5G 8Pts
Noesen - 21st overall (2011)
1st rd pick - potentially top 10, maybe top 5 (2014 draft)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Lets face it, we need to trade for Alfie.

Why stop there?

We should probably bring Fisher, Emery, Kelly, Havlat & McGrattan back too. Jaques Martin to replace Maclean, bring Pierre Gauthier back as BMurr's replacement, and make sure to have Bryden back here scaring STH's with relocation threats.

Make Radek Bonk the Assitant GM, give Steve Duchesne the head scouting job, and let Brian Kilrea wear the Spartacat outfit on weekends.

Brad Marsh as the skating coach, Sidorkiewicz as the goalie coach... and heck, let's go for gold: Frank Nighbor as our replacement for Spezza.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Alfredsson 32GP 27Pts
VS
Ryan 37GP 32Pts

Right now the only thing I am looking at is

Alfie - gave up on the team
Ryan - puts his heart out there every night.

The Fuhr*

Right now the only thing I am looking at is

Alfie - gave up on the team
Ryan - puts his heart out there every night.

Melnyk said he could not afford both Alfie and Ryan... So management chose Ryan.

It's what Melnyk said

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
4G in 23GP last year coming off an injury...

From what I gather nothing is on management and it's all the players fault.

That's not how the sports world works... Either get results or you don't and after 7years the fan base should expect to see them.

Results are 4 playoffs appearances and 1 playoff round win in 6 seasons... That's not perfect but it's a lot better than what most of today's "elite" teams did during their "decline" years (see Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, St-Louis). It's also the exact same as Anaheim. Boston, from 1996 to 2008, made the playoffs only 4 times and won only 1 round (6 in 11, or 8 in 13 but still only 1 playoff round won). Tampa Bay, in the last 8 years, made the playoffs only 3 times and won 2 series

Organizational life cycle:

1.Birth
2.Growth
3.Maturity
4.Decline
5.Death

If you think something or somebody can make abstraction of that cycle, let me just say "wake up to reality"

You will never stop, at least there's still wise people that don't fall for your crap. This franchise has declined from 2008-2011 and then re-birth in 2011. We've seen some growth since then but it's not linear and it doesn't go straight to "win the cup" not even 3 years later. Problem is that casual fans (who get feed by trolls like you, Garrioch and Brennan) think it is and are extremely disappointed that we are not fighting for 1st in the division. Reality is that team is still at a stage where they will have to fight hard just to make the playoffs. All we should expect is for them to never give up.

So people crap on the players and all, but damn it must be hard when you have a really weak fanbase to find inspiration and energy from.

I look at the rebuild the team just went through and honestly the teams not that good.

You're looking at something that is not even close to being done.

Ask the Jackets, Panthers, Isles, Oilers, Preds, Jets, Coyotes, Flames etc how long they have been (or will have to) "rebuilding"...

Why would Ottawa be any different than those teams? it is a very small market, and unless you have a freak billionaire willing to spend HIS money, you don't have the financial support to "rebuild" (or retool) faster like the Rangers, Habs and Leafs can.

This is why this fanbase cracks me up, they expect to be spoiled like Habs and Leafs fans expect.

You will say "I don't expect mediocrity". I'll say "OK, so what is the magical way to not go through that?"

Name Brian Burke as the GM? Or Name Fuhr as the GM and MAK as the coach? :laugh:

Hopefully Ryan and Spezza re-sign in 18 months or we are looking at another 3-5 years of mediocrity and that's only if the 2nd rebuild goes well

This is based on absolutely nothing and some kind of crappy crystal ball (which is really not better than anyone else... Ex : Caporusso, Grant, Greening, etc). Sens are currently 3 games under 0.500, they go on a 6 wins streak and they are in a good playoffs position. Unfortunately, I don't believe it will happen unless they change the coaching staff (but I don't want that), but you never know. Teams often perform well after coaching changes, but we need stability, MacLean still has potential to be a long-term solution

One thing for sure is they really need a great second half of the season, they still have time to salvage the season

Last edited:

The Fuhr*

I'm not talking about winning the cup... 6 1/2 years on the job... Should have a strong playoff team

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Melnyk said he could not afford both Alfie and Ryan... So management chose Ryan.

It's what Melnyk said

We have heard a lot of stories. Piecing it together, if we would have signed Alfie during the season, instead of waiting till after the season to see if he is retiring, then we would not have gotten Ryan.

The Ryan deal was completed after Alfie called Murray to say he was jumping ship.

The Fuhr*

Muckler gets crap on for not having prospects when BM took over...

But BM gave away young assets all the time when he first took over... This is a guy who traded a 1st for Chris
Campoli

The Fuhr*

We have heard a lot of stories. Piecing it together, if we would have signed Alfie during the season, instead of waiting till after the season to see if he is retiring, then we would not have gotten Ryan.

The Ryan deal was completed after Alfie called Murray to say he was jumping ship.

I'm just going by what Melnyk has said.

Sitting here right now I'm not seeing how Ryan is a good thing... He's made no impact... He's taken us from Buffalo level of sucking to Florida level if sucking.

That's not much of an impact at all... If he was not here it would not make much of any difference for our team in the standings.

From 24th to 28th overall without Ryan

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Alfredson was my favorite player for a third of my life............. **** DANIEL ALFREDSON UP HIS STUPID ASS!!!!! he gave up on his team.......id take ryan over him in a heart beat at this point though i was crushed to see him go....and despite the fact id said in the past id take him back.....dont want him, dont need him and he feels the same dam way........ so **** him.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Alfredsson 32GP 27Pts
VS
Ryan 37GP 32Pts

...for one more yr. Ryan is 26. He will be re-signed.
We have MacArthur to replace Alfie on ice for that time.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm not a big fan of Alfredsson's but do you think this team is better with MacArthur, Silfverberg and Alfredsson over Ryan and MacArthur?

Probably. That said the past is the past and it's time to move on from that. No point in dwelling on it because regardless of what this team wanted Alfredsson didn't want to stay here.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Check the thread on the main board. They've said they would love Methot.

Main Board has nothing to do with reality, though.

In fact, if one could think of the furthest possible thing from reality, or rationality, or level-headed thinking, or any semblance of sanity whatsoever, in perpetuity in this universe or any other... my first choice might be the "Main Boards".

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Oi.

What we clearly should have done is package up 9MM, Greening, Condra, Kassian, and anyone else who was not performing. Then we would call another GM on NHL 14, and ship the underperforming players off for great players.

It is beyond me how Murray, 35 games into the season, can't see how simple it is to exchange underperforming players on bad contract for high end players on good contracts. Murray is clearly an incompetent ****up. NHL 14 is never wrong about these things.

WhiteLight*

Main Board has nothing to do with reality, though.

In fact, if one could think of the furthest possible thing from reality, or rationality, or level-headed thinking, or any semblance of sanity whatsoever, in perpetuity in this universe or any other... my first choice might be the "Main Boards".

lol

well they seem to think they need a top 4 D. I guess Regehr/Mitchell aren't cutting it. I will take it with a grain of salt though,

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm not talking about winning the cup... 6 1/2 years on the job... Should have a strong playoff team

Are you dumb or just intellectually dishonest (trolling)? I have been asking that for several years. But sincerely, I still don't see any other option. But I know which one it is as I know you're not dumb.

So, you're saying that the Sens have been trying to become a strong playoffs team in the last 6.5 years?

Man, if you don't even understand the whole context, why are you even discussing?

Do you think I go to random conferences and start about arguing with the experts?

* To be clear : I'm not saying I'm an expert or anything, I'm saying that when you want to talk about something, you have to understand the context.

Sens went to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2007, which was the peak of the maturity phase (and 6.5 years ago)

The Sens tried to stay in that maturity phase for a few more years (understandably), but (for a lot of various reasons), problems arose and they started to decline the following years.

In 2008-09, it would have been a good time to rebuild but the ownership/management decided to try and extend that maturity phase and "win it for Alfie" (chances were heavily against them).

They somewhat delivered in 2009-10, finishing 5th in conference, but faced the rising Penguins with weak goaltending and some key injuries

In 2010-11, it was now inevitable, it was time to rebuild and go on a massive youth movement, which is really the case when you look at the roster. Some veterans are still here, and are now more stop gaps than anything (Neil, Phillips, Corvo...) but this franchise wants to build around young players (Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci, Wiercioch, Lehner, Ryan, Turris, Zibanejad, Lazar...)

And well, of course it doesn't pay off overnight. Patience is needed but this fanbase is fair-weather at best, like Clarke MacArthur said.

Sens are still in their growth phase and that implies bumps and bruises. In real life, there's always some adversity but you can't know that if you stay in your grand parents basement.

Muckler gets crap on for not having prospects when BM took over...

But BM gave away young assets all the time when he first took over... This is a guy who traded a 1st for Chris
Campoli

Which he used for 2.5 years on very cheap cap hits for decent production. Oh and he also got a marginally worse pick and Potulny, which was key in the Bingo Calder Cup.

Facts :

- Paid a 26th overall pick for a young PMD with potential
- Campoli scored 45 points in 150 games for the Sens (on cheap cap hits)
- 2011/02/28 Ottawa Senators traded Chris Campoli and a conditional 7th round selection in 2012 to the Chicago Blackhawks for Ryan Potulny and a 2nd round selection in 2011.

The difference in chances of success between a 26th overall pick and a mid-2nd round pick is historically not that big. Stop making it sound like we gave away a 1st round pick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad