Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals Thread 2013-2014 | Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
Why would someone want to spend millions when the fans will stop showing up when things go rough.

Goes both ways.

There's a difference between.. say.. a team rebuilding and not doing so well and a team that can be good and missing pieces but an owner who doesn't want to spend the money to make his team competitive.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I can see something centered around Cowen for Yakupov.we add but fits what they're doing.

Maybe Cowen and greening for Yakupov and joensuu? Maybe we add a good prospect.

Doesn't solve the Senators issues on the backend. Just makes it worse.

Cowen might be struggling, but there isn't anybody coming up that matches his potential in the role he is meant to play.

Too early to give up on him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
There's a difference between.. say.. a team rebuilding and not doing so well and a team that can be good and missing pieces but an owner who doesn't want to spend the money to make his team competitive.

Its not just that they're losing, its how they're losing. Spending two thirds of a game chasing the puck behind their own blueline on a consistent basis doesn't exactly compel people to buy tickets.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
There is a difference. I cheer for the sens first. If the sens are playing the bruins, i will cheer for the sens. I won't stop cheering for the sens not matter what.

It's obvious from your posts. :) I like the Bruins too and used to be a long time MTL fan but not at the expense of the Sens since they came to the city.

That said the poster is just frustrated like many of us are with Melnyk's low cap when we feel that spending a bit more would allow them to sit some less than ready rookies in exchange for a couple of more experienced / productive players. I don't want to fault Corvo but that's one area the Sens could have done much better with a bit more money they might have been able to sign a genuine top 4 D. The Bishop trade might have gone differently too if BM had a bit more leeway in what contract he might have taken back in exchange. As it was he basically had to take back a cheaper ELC.

It's pretty obvious the Sens are still fully in rebuild mode. Even if they sneak into the playoffs because of a weak conference they likely won't seriously compete until some of these rookies gain 2-3 more years of experience

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
We also were a cap team and struggled and attendance plummeted. So if melnyk os hurting for cash I can understand see his hesitation

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Maybe it's short sighted and whatever, but **** Melnyk. If there isn't one trade by the deadline, it won't be short sighted and I'll actually be able to say **** Melnyk with a reason. This team needs a veteran presence or two. We're one of the youngest teams in the league, and it would make a big difference.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
Maybe it's short sighted and whatever, but **** Melnyk. If there isn't one trade by the deadline, it won't be short sighted and I'll actually be able to say **** Melnyk with a reason. This team needs a veteran presence or two. We're one of the youngest teams in the league, and it would make a big difference.

Fair enough. I know some guys get inside info on here , but I dont so its hard for me to judge. If only **** playera or bad deals for us are available then you obviously don't make a move. Anyone with any info I'd love to hear some of the names involved.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
Melnyk has robbed us of the ability to use our available cap space as an asset. It's an asset that is extremely valuable this year as it is in limited supply. Even better, smart teams that free up space now will have more room at the deadline to make a move, thus making out valuable and free asset increasingly less valuable.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Melnyk has robbed us of the ability to use our available cap space as an asset. It's an asset that is extremely valuable this year as it is in limited supply. Even better, smart teams that free up space now will have more room at the deadline to make a move, thus making out valuable and free asset increasingly less valuable.

Brian Campbell is an extremely solid D-man with an albatross contract because of his cap hit, who Tallon has stated is available, and who would be EXACTLY what the Sens need on their blueline (one of the best puck movers in the league AND solid defensively). He's also only signed for another 2 years, with no NTC.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he's exactly who Murray was talking about in that article about players the Sens can't afford due to salary concerns.

He'd instantly make our bottom 2 pairings somewhat respectable:

Methot-Karlsson
Campbell-Gryba/Cowen
Phillips-Corvo/Wiercioch

Too bad it's looking like the Sens are too broke to make it happen.

e: The only player better for the Sens would be Ehrhoff, who is actually on a really affordable contract too, but he has a NTC and I highly doubt Buffalo would want to trade him.

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Id say that's probably the most frustrating part, with our cap space,
if we had the resources we could pick up draft picks, steal players on 1 or 2 year expiring contracts.

perfect year for it, such a shame.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
To Florida: 2nd rd pick 2014, Conacher, Condra, JOB & Corvo
To Ottawa: Tomas Fleischmann LW & Shawn Mathias LW/C

- Florida has to take back some salary to make this work, JOB & Corvo are pending UFAs.
- Ottawa adds $2.5 mil or so, of course our owner would likely kill any deal that increases the budget dramatically. JOB could also stick with Florida, he has some potential.

If both Chris Stewart & Michalek are still both playing poorly by the deadline, I would accept a deadline deal to swap those two, even up ... or just make that move now.

Fleischmann - Spezza - Michalek - Tomas should add more scoring/playmaking to this line
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Greening - Z. Smith - Neil
Mathias - Grant - Zibanejad/Kassian - big, fast 4th line with scoring potential. If Zibanejad or Grant aren't working, bring up Hoffman or Stone, all four are waiver exempt.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
If we can't get Campbell because of money issues, MDZ is probably another really good target for Murray. Young left handed PMD with a very reasonable contract (2.5mil this year, RFA next year).

On the flipside, he'd probably cost an arm and a leg.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
If we trade with Florida I hope Campbell is part of the return.

We are 5th in the East in GF. We need to address the GA.

Exactly. Our forwards are OK. Nothing special but we gave up a lpt of assets for Ryan next trade hopefully will be for a D who has a decent first pass.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
If we can't get Campbell because of money issues, MDZ is probably another really good target for Murray. Young left handed PMD with a very reasonable contract (2.5mil this year, RFA next year).

On the flipside, he'd probably cost an arm and a leg.

We have a MDZ in Wiercioch.

We need a more developed talent to play second pairing on the right side with a good break out pass and can log PP minutes.

MDZ would just be joining Wiercioch in the press box.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
MDZ would just be joining Wiercioch in the press box.
I think MDZ joining would mean MDZ in the pressbox :laugh:. Haven't watched him recently but when I've visited the Rangers forum, MDZ is never making anyone happy.

Although having check his stats, they look very respectable, so I'm confused why I've seen Rangers fans disliking him.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
Id say that's probably the most frustrating part, with our cap space,
if we had the resources we could pick up draft picks, steal players on 1 or 2 year expiring contracts.

perfect year for it, such a shame.
We aren't alone in that plan either:

The question is, what's the plan moving forward this season?

First, the Flames have massive cap space with the 27th-ranked payroll, and unlike most of the few other teams with cap space, Calgary has the financial muscle to use it.

So the hope with the Flames is that at some point, cap-strung contenders are going to come calling with an offer to help alleviate their issues. That's when the Flames want to jump at their chance. Can they glean a first-round pick or a top prospect in exchange for helping to fix another team's cap issues via picking up an anchor contract?

That's the hope for the Flames between now and the March 5 trade deadline: Use their financial maneuvering room to gain future assets.

From Pierre Lebrun's Article here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/27845/oilers-goalie-competition-heating-up

So it's not just a bunch of silly forum posters who think this. It is a legitimate strategy that very few teams can take, us among them.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
If we trade with Florida I hope Campbell is part of the return.

We are 5th in the East in GF. We need to address the GA.

I have no idea why people can't see this :) We have plenty of young developing forwards in the system. Campbell would be a GREAT addition.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Campbell would be number 1 on my list of trade targets, but even if Florida eats half of his contract we still may have trouble affording him.

Regarding the attendance dropping, according to Leeder our paid attendance is the same this season as last. There are simply fewer giveaways, which hurts the atmosphere but not the financial bottom line. The support for the team from people actually willing to poney up for tickets has not changed.

Topside

Jul 2, 2009
Still pretty sad that a Canadian team needs to rely on freebies to fill up the building.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Campbell would be number 1 on my list of trade targets, but even if Florida eats half of his contract we still may have trouble affording him.

Regarding the attendance dropping, according to Leeder our paid attendance is the same this season as last. There are simply fewer giveaways, which hurts the atmosphere but not the financial bottom line. The support for the team from people actually willing to poney up for tickets has not changed.

I would argue it does hurt the bottom line.

Less free tickets = less people = less concession sales, parking etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad