Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals Thread 2013-2014 | Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Here we go. This trade could be great for both teams, and will work cap wise.

:blues
Jason Spezza

:sens
Patrik Berglund (RFA)
Kevin Shattenkirk
3rd 2014

I would do this in the blink of an eye.

Thoughts?

I would do it.

Would prefer: Spezza + Cowen for Shattenkirk + Stewart + 1st/2nd

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think your correct the problem being it maybe too late to get a playoff position. We are snakebitten we just cant seem to put it altogther at once. :(

But.....what's so bad about missing the playoffs this season if the guys manage to develop into a team and grow together in the meantime? It may be too late for this year, but if sticking together makes us stronger in the future, isn't that the best option?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
But.....what's so bad about missing the playoffs this season if the guys manage to develop into a team and grow together in the meantime? It may be too late for this year, but if sticking together makes us stronger in the future, isn't that the best option?

Too be honest, it is not too late to make the playoffs. All the teams in the eastern conference have been inconsistent recently. If we can finally get things together, we can still at least fight for a wildcard spot. The western conference on the other hand is a different story. If we were in the western conference, then i would have to agree that we would have no chance of making the playoffs.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

The best experience is playoff experience, but your right it is all part of the growing process.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Too be honest, it is not too late to make the playoffs. All the teams in the eastern conference have been inconsistent. If we can finally get things together, we can still at least fight for a wildcard spot. The western conference on the other hand is a different story. If we were in the western conference, then i would have to agree that we would have no chance of making the playoffs.

Very true.

Last few pages have been a great read. Lots of good ideas and thoughts form everyone. That's what we need right now, a good discussion about the team and where we're going instead of panic.

I really do think we have most of the pieces. Problem is most of the pieces haven't finished developing into the finished product yet.

We are very fortunate though. This draft only has 1-2 guys who have the potential of being impact guys, and even if we were to bottom out, we're not going to end up low enough for that pick to get them either ways. Chances are that first rounder Anaheim gets will max out as a 3rd liner/pair or AHLer down the road. We have plenty (too many) of those right now, adding another doesn't really do much for us.

I really think it would be good for the team (if there's a break in the schedule somewhere) to go away as a group for 3-4 days and just 'have fun.' Those team retreats tend to do wonders for team chemistry and gettting rid of a negative mindset.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Ottawa is one major addition away from making playoffs and then some(Like Turris addition 2 years ago)

People need to understand that in the next couple of months guys like Pageau, Hoffman, Stone will be much better and ready to snatch spots from Michalek, Greening. You can make argument(and probably win it) they are ready now!

Look at how our 4th line looks crazy good compared to before due to return of Condra.

Add a steady solid 2nd pairing defender and all of a sudden we look good again. Playoffs are no where near out of the question.

If we still struggling then... then I expect some big trades to come(Spezza/Michalek/Anderson).

Btw, Phillips has a history of turning it on in the 2nd half of the season, Cowen was top 4 material in 2nd half of his rookie season.

So much time left it's not even funny.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ottawa is one major addition away from making playoffs and then some(Like Turris addition 2 years ago)

People need to understand that in the next couple of months guys like Pageau, Hoffman, Stone will be much better and ready to snatch spots from Michalek, Greening. You can make argument(and probably win it) they are ready now!

Look at how our 4th line looks crazy good compared to before due to return of Condra.

Add a steady solid 2nd pairing defender and all of a sudden we look good again. Playoffs are no where near out of the question.

If we still struggling then... then I expect some big trades to come(Spezza/Michalek/Anderson).

Btw, Phillips has a history of turning it on in the 2nd half of the season, Cowen was top 4 material in 2nd half of his rookie season.

So much time left it's not even funny.

This is a very sensible post that will probably go on ignored.

A top 4 defenceman would go a long way to straightening out this team (preferably a top 2/3 talent that can really anchor that 2nd pairing).

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This is a very sensible post that will probably go on ignored.

A top 4 defenceman would go a long way to straightening out this team (preferably a top 2/3 talent that can really anchor that 2nd pairing).

Yea, if we get a complementary top 4 instead of a guy who can anchor the pairing, then I believe we still could see troubles and possibly have just wasted assets.

In my opinion, that's the reason why Murray hasn't made a trade yet. If we wanted any top 4 he would have made a trade a long time ago. He's looking for a Turris like deal on D to come.

I could definitely see Winnipeg finally moving a big piece of their defense for offensive help. Murray just waiting for a team to cave and by the looks of things, our roster should still be more than capable enough of hovering at least over .500 until he finds the deal.

Iconoclast

Lifestyle on camera
May 2, 2013
Toronto
I agree with almost everything RKL said but not the implied Spezza trade.

Making it to the playoffs is one thing but if we want to do damage there we'll need Spezza. Michalek we could do without if he brings a good return. Anderson we could do without if he brings a decent return. But I don't see any way that we trade Spezza and come out a better playoff team this season than we are if we keep him.

And I know, I know, we made it to the second round without him last year. Then what? We were decimated by the Pens. The habs were the softest 2nd seed in years as well.

Tristqc

Mar 22, 2009
Gatineau
Not that I gave up on Cowen. But if you have a chance to get a guy like MDZ, go for it. I'm sure he could be our 2013's "Turris":

Trade Cowen + for MDZ
Call-up Stone and Pageau, send down Grant
Waive Greening. Chances he'll play in Bingo.

Zibanejad-Spezza-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Conacher
Michalek-Pageau-Stone
Condra-Smith-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Del Zotto-Phillips
Borowiecki-Wiercioch

Either Lehner/Anderson

We got enough pieces to be a competitive hockey team even with such a young core.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
I don't really understand Murray giving Greening an extension last summer, a year before he goes to UFA. If the team was struggling (they are) then they could flip him at the deadline as a guy that's good in the playoffs. If we're a good team then just re-sign him this summer.

Giving him that contract (which looks terrible now) just kinda boggles the mind

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Not that I gave up on Cowen. But if you have a chance to get a guy like MDZ, go for it. I'm sure he could be our 2013's "Turris":

Trade Cowen + for MDZ
Call-up Stone and Pageau, send down Grant
Waive Greening. Chances he'll play in Bingo.

Zibanejad-Spezza-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Conacher
Michalek-Pageau-Stone
Condra-Smith-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Del Zotto-Phillips
Borowiecki-Wiercioch

Either Lehner/Anderson

We got enough pieces to be a competitive hockey team even with such a young core.

Rangers want a forward.

Senatorian

Oct 4, 2013
Canada
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Two sources had said that Senators GM Bryan Murray is working the phones trying to find a top four defenseman that would be able to step in right away.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
In my opinion, that's the reason why Murray hasn't made a trade yet. If we wanted any top 4 he would have made a trade a long time ago. He's looking for a Turris like deal on D to come.

Not really sure where you find that though. Myers in Buffalo if you think he can turn it around? Turris was a very, very unique situation. I guess Justin Schultz was kind of like that, but again I don't see a situation around the league right now where that is going on.

Would love to land someone like Bogosian, but Winnipeg will never let him go (unless they're panicking and offered something special). He would be an ideal target with Zibanejad as the main piece...

Jared Spurgeon maybe? He's small, but a good skater and very intelligent.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I bet we end up with a guy like Jean Micheal Liles. The leafs would eat most of the contract, he wouldn't cost much, he's a veteran puck mover, and like MacArthur Carlyle just doesn't like him. We just need someone to take the pressure off our young guys.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I bet we end up with a guy like Jean Micheal Liles. The leafs would eat most of the contract, he wouldn't cost much, he's a veteran puck mover, and like MacArthur Carlyle just doesn't like him. We just need someone to take the pressure off our young guys.

Please god no. I don't want a small, soft d-man, who has barely played in the past 2 years, on this team.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Bobby Mac said on the radio today that "Murray is trying to make a deal and working hard but he has no money to work with. Every dollar that comes in has to come out"

The following is the actual salaries paid to Ottawa players this year:

Spezza, Jason » $5,000,000
Ryan, Bobby » $5,562,500
Michalek, Milan » $6,000,000
Turris, Kyle » $2,500,000
MacArthur, Clarke » $3,250,000
Neil, Chris » $2,100,000
Smith, Zack » $1,500,000
Condra, Erik » $1,200,000
Zibanejad, Mika » $925,000
Conacher, Cory » $925,000
Greening, Colin » $950,000
Grant, Derek » $660,000
Kassian, Matt » $600,000

Karlsson, Erik » $5,500,000
Cowen, Jared » $1,500,000
Phillips, Chris » $3,250,000
Methot, Marc » $3,250,000
Wiercioch, P. » $1,100,000
Corvo, Joe » $900,000
Borowiecki, Mark » $550,000
Gryba, Eric » $600,000

Anderson, Craig » $3,187,500
Lehner, Robin » $870,000

Realistically, following what Bobo said, the only way we can bring in a top-4 defenseman is to trade away Michalek. Nobody else has a sufficient salary to make a deal, since they're all either in the final years of a front-loaded contract, or in their first years of a back-loaded contract.

God I hate seeing this team, with SO MUCH promise, getting held back by an owner who refuses to make it competitive.

And I can't wait to see Ryan walk in free agency when Melnyk can't pony up the $8mil it would take to keep him.

Last edited:

booger

Oct 5, 2009
Oakville
Bobby Mac said on the radio today that "Murray is trying to make a deal and working hard but he has no money to work with. Every dollar that comes in has to come out"

The following is the actual salaries paid to Ottawa players this year:

Realistically, following what Bobo said, the only way we can bring in a top-4 defenseman is to trade away Michalek. Nobody else has a sufficient salary to make a deal, since they're all either in the final years of a front-loaded contract, or in their first years of a back-loaded contract.

God I hate seeing this team, with SO MUCH promise, getting held back by an owner who refuses to make it competitive.

And I can't wait to see Ryan walk in free agency when Melnyk can't pony up the $8mil it would take to keep him.

There's never a billionaire when you need one?

burf

Mar 27, 2012
There's never a billionaire when you need one?

If he put the team up for sale, you could almost guarantee there would be a number of immediate offers. Hell, there were even people willing to buy Phoenix, and that's not even a quarter of the hockey market Ottawa is.

It's never gonna happen though, since Eugene would be in even worse financial shape without this team.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
no to liles and his concussion problems

not the same player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad