Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2019-20 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Signing Tierney long term and dealing Pageau even if its a first is a mistake. Id rather sign Pageau and deal Tierney for a 2nd.

Trade Tierney keep Pageau.

Why not both? I don't see why we'd have to keep Tierney if we trade Pageau.

We'd still have Brown, White, Anisimov and Chlapik at center next year, with Norris challenging for a spot.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This team (Ottawa) is not far off from competing. We have some very good pieces in place, the idea is to add to the team, not trade away more of our valuable players for more unknown assets.

I get the whole idea of wanting to rebuild, but I cannot help but sound like a broken record here with regards to actually looking like we are attempting to build a winning team. Pageau at this point is a valuable piece to a contending team, which is why rumours are swirling that some teams might trade a 1st round pick for him, but if we become a contender next season or the year after, are we not going to wish we had a player like Pageau who is a proven playoff performer?

This obsession with hording picks has become insane.

Look at what the roster could look like next season and honestly tell me we're going to be a contender:

Tkachuk - Brown - Duclair
Paul - White - Batherson
Ryan - Tierney - Brown
Balcers - Chlapik - Ryan
Abramov

Chabot - Zaitsev
Boro - Brannstrom
Alsing - DeMelo
Lajoie, Jaros

Nilsson
Hogberg

Might as well face it - this team is going to suck for awhile. Only thing that could change that is winning the lottery and getting Lafreniere/Byfield, but even adding one of them to the roster isn't going to magically turn the Sens into a playoff team, let alone a contender.

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
Definitely on the boat for trading Tierney. With his RFA status, he might be able to fetch a first if he turns his play around.

Pageau is all heart and soul, and exemplifies everything this team aspires to be. Trading him would be a mistake, imo.

Didn't think I would say this, but I'm trending toward keeping demelo. He's a very stable option on the bottom pairing, and seems like a good teammate.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Definitely on the boat for trading Tierney. With his RFA status, he might be able to fetch a first if he turns his play around.

Pageau is all heart and soul, and exemplifies everything this team aspires to be. Trading him would be a mistake, imo.

Didn't think I would say this, but I'm trending toward keeping demelo. He's a very stable option on the bottom pairing, and seems like a good teammate.

Dorion should be able to recoup that 3rd we gave Toronto for allowing us to help them out

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Look at what the roster could look like next season and honestly tell me we're going to be a contender:

Paul - White - Batherson
Ryan - Tierney - Brown
Balcers - Chlapik - Ryan
Abramov

Chabot - Zaitsev
Boro - Brannstrom
Alsing - DeMelo
Lajoie, Jaros

Nilsson
Hogberg

Might as well face it - this team is going to suck for awhile. Only thing that could change that is winning the lottery and getting Lafreniere/Byfield, but even adding one of them to the roster isn't going to magically turn the Sens into a playoff team, let alone a contender.

You're missing Wolanin, who I think is pretty big. You also have Ryan twice for some reason.

Idk, I think we could see something like this:

Balcers - White - Batherson
Paul - Pageau/Tierney - Brown (I expect us to keep one of Tierney/Pageau)
Abramov - Chlapik - Ryan

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Brannstrom
Boro - DeMelo

extras/callups: Lajoie, Jaros, Anisimov, Veronneau, Norris, JBD

I think that's a team that has an outside shot at the playoffs given player development.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Look at the Leafs & Sharks right now - winning in the NHL is extremely hard!

They both have all-stars littered throughout their line-up and the Leafs have some top goaltending to go with it. The Senators won't be a legit Stanley Cup contender for a few years and that is if our current crop of kids turn out to surpass expectations and we get some high end talent from this and the next couple of drafts.

Reactions: NB613

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

They both have all-stars littered throughout their line-up and the Leafs have some top goaltending to go with it. The Senators won't be a legit Stanley Cup contender for a few years and that is if our current crop of kids turn out to surpass expectations and we get some high end talent from this and the next couple of drafts.

I don't see how these things are related.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Why not both? I don't see why we'd have to keep Tierney if we trade Pageau.

We'd still have Brown, White, Anisimov and Chlapik at center next year, with Norris challenging for a spot.

I was evaluating the situation based off if one of them is to be dealt and one had to be kept.

I want Tierney gone. His overall production doesn't match his point totals. Hes going to become overpaid quick and someone is going to regret doing it.

Lets make sure it isnt us

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

The NHL is not a dynasty league.

It's a parity driven league. There will always be 2-3 teams in each conference who are in the playoffs every season, but after that it is about catching lightning in a bottle and capitalizing on seasons where a team is hot. It's not linear. A team can be great one year and not click the next. The cap forces so much change over that consistency is hard.

Teams still need to get to the point where they have the core that can put them in the playoff conversation season to season. While the Leafs have disappointed, they have that core. They are in a down year.

Sharks are a bad example because they have been one of the most consistent playoff teams. They are approaching the end of their current build where their playoff core is now being dismantled by age and salary cap.

The Sens haven't come close to building that core. We have Chabot who is now locked down and we have Tkachuk who will still need to be signed long term. Those are the only guys who are superstars or have a reasonable amount of that upside.

After that we have a lot of question marks and guys who look like they will be solid secondary and tertiary RFA talent to rotate into the lineup as the cap/salary dictates.

I don't think we are close to having our core yet.

Reactions: DrEasy and NyQuil

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I don't see how these things are related.

Fair enough I didn't provide context.

It was sort of in response to both the idea that we are playing too well and the idea that if we get the 1st overall pick we will turn it around.

We are building a core (to also address Palfy) and hoping to add to it some very dynamic pieces but there is no magic bullet or move that will get us to playoffs or Cup contender in short order.

I brought up 2 of the most talented teams in the league as a comparison to show in the NHL nothing is given.

Hopefully DJ is bringing a style that works in today's NHL both in its strategic implementation and its ability to get enthusiastic buy in from players.

Add in solid goaltending and some dynamic scoring ability and then we can start to get back to the dance and see what happens.

Maybe I am just having a conversation with myself

Reactions: TheDebater

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think the people wanting to trade Pageau is nuts. The guy shut down Bergeon and Crosby. You don't trade guys who can shut down the other team's best player.
I don’t think it’s a matter of wanting to trade him, it’s if he wants more money or term than he is worth

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
For a rebuilding team that traded EK65, Stone, Duchene, Hoffman, and Dzingel, it makes sense to get draft capital by trading Pageau while his value is at its highest.

Will still miss him, the heart and soul of the Ottawa Senators since the pesky days. When Pageau scores, this team wins. One of the few players with hero mode game breaking abilities in the playoffs.

Dorion can fetch another 1st (as I have always maintained in the past) and a prospect (which I never projected much like his November to Remember).

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
For a rebuilding team that traded EK65, Stone, Duchene, Hoffman, and Dzingel, it makes sense to get draft capital by trading Pageau while his value is at its highest.

Will still miss him, the heart and soul of the Ottawa Senators since the pesky days. When Pageau scores, this team wins. One of the few players with hero mode game breaking abilities in the playoffs.

Dorion can fetch another 1st (as I have always maintained in the past) and a prospect (which I never projected much like his November to Remember).

I agree with this.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think the people wanting to trade Pageau is nuts. The guy shut down Bergeon and Crosby. You don't trade guys who can shut down the other team's best player.
I think trading Stone is even more nuts. We lost Stone , Karlsson, Duchene but can't stomach trading Pageau, I think he's a good honest player that brings what he has pretty much every game. If we keep him fine. If we can get a 1st + for him I think we should; more because of what we've already given up and some because I think the returns haven't been great. I see the argument both ways though

Reactions: Alex1234

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think trading Stone is even more nuts. We lost Stone , Karlsson, Duchene but can't stomach trading Pageau, I think he's a good honest player that brings what he has pretty much every game. If we keep him fine. If we can get a 1st + for him I think we should; more because of what we've already given up and some because I think the returns haven't been great. I see the argument both ways though
The idea that people were ok with tanking without the teams first rounder while trading all its elite players only to stop doing it when they actually have the first round pick is ass backwards. Last year was bar none the worst as a fan it could possibly have gone. Tanking without the first round pick while trading a franchise player and two other elite players and starting the season by trading the best player in franchise history. With all that pain people want to stop tanking all of a sudden when the team actually has a chance at a franchise player.... I just dont understand how people can be so short sighted. This organization commited to being horrible, dont stop when you actually might see a benefit to it.

The reason the team is so bad with no elite talent coming is its poor asset management. This team is well on its way to being Arizona. No elite talent so they arent good enough to win anything of substance but arent a last place team. Worst possible scenario. I want to see the team win a stanley cup.

Its time to start managing the assets correctly. That means trading players on expiring contracts. Not over paying for anyone older when the team is in rebuild mode they need the salary structure to be ready for some big pay days in the next 3 years.

Pageeau, Tierney, Namestinikov, Ennis, Demelo, Hainsey, Boro and Anderson. Get whatever you can for them. The team already traded Karlsson, Duchene, Dzingel and Stone but people want them to stop trading at a bunch of plugs when the organization already commited to tanking? I dont get it.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Pageeau, Tierney, Namestinikov, Ennis, Demelo, Hainsey, Boro and Anderson. Get whatever you can for them. The team already traded Karlsson, Duchene, Dzingel and Stone but people want them to stop trading at a bunch of plugs when the organization already commited to tanking? I dont get it.

To be fair, the only guy people are really thinking about retaining is Pageau. (and Duclair I guess, but he wasn't on your list)

I'd consider holding on to DeMelo too, but that's just me.

You can't ice a team of 16 rookies and sophomores either.

Part of me wants to keep Pageau just for the LOLZ when we play the Habs.

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
The idea that people were ok with tanking without the teams first rounder while trading all its elite players only to stop doing it when they actually have the first round pick is ass backwards. Last year was bar none the worst as a fan it could possibly have gone. Tanking withiut the first round pick trading a franchise player. With all that pain people want to stop tanking all of a sudden when the team actually has a chance at a franchise player.... I just dont understand how people can be so short sighted. This organization commited to being horrible, dont stop when you actually might see a benefit to it.

The reason the team is so bad with no elite talent coming is its poor asset management. This team is well on its way to being Arizona. Not elite talent so they arent good enough to win anything of substance but are one of the worst teams every year.

Its time to start managing the assets correctly. That means trading players on expiring contracts. Not over paying for anyone older when the team is in rebuild mode.

We trade this guys because don t want to take a hometown discount but if all player you name here want to play here for less. I have no problem to keep here because we have to make the floor next year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To be fair, the only guy people are really thinking about retaining is Pageau. (and Duclair I guess, but he wasn't on your list)

I'd consider holding on to DeMelo too, but that's just me.

You can't ice a team of 16 rookies and sophomores either.

Part of me wants to keep Pageau just for the LOLZ when we play the Habs.
Duclair is 24 and isnt a to be UFA he should be in the long term plans. All of the players I listed are going to be UFA's at the end of this season except Tierney he is 2 years away from being an RFA with arbitration rights. I dont think he fits into the long term plans. After the trade deadline id be fine with this roster.

Tkachuk Brown Duclair
Paul White Brown
Balcers Anisimov Ryan
Boedker Chlapik Sabourin
Beaudin

Chabot Zaitsev
Wolanin Jaros
Brannstrom Goloubef

Nilsson
Hogberg

Then next year they can bring in a couple free agents and graduate some young players like Batherson etc.

Who knows maybe Pageau and Demelo come back as UFA's. The UFA market isnt like it used to be, with the salary structure being different and going to young players you can get bargains and deals like Carolina did with Dzingel and Gardiner.

My point is they commited to the tank they only have one more year to go. Finish the job, manage the assets.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Duclair is 24 and isnt a to be UFA he should be in the long term plans. All of the players I listed are going to be UFA's at the end of this season except Tierney he is 2 years away from being an RFA with arbitration rights. I dont think he fits into the long term plans. After the trade deadline id be fine with this roster.

Tkachuk Brown Duclair
Paul White Brown
Balcers Anisimov Ryan
Boedker Chlapik Sabourin
Beaudin

Chabot Zaitsev
Wolanin Jaros
Brannstrom Goloubef

Nilsson
Hogberg

Then next year they can bring in a couple free agents and graduate some young players like Batherson etc.

Who knows maybe Pageau and Demelo come back as UFA's. The UFA market isnt like it used to be, with the salary structure being different and going to young players you can get bargains and deals like Carolina did with Dzingel and Gardiner.

My point is they commited to the tank they only have one more year to go. Finish the job, manage the assets.

I think whoever gets Pageau, if they do give up a first, it won't be a rental. Demelo may be more of a strict rental

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad