Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals XV: MacT Throw Us a Friggin Bone Here!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Have I been wrong this whole time?

The Oilers have made the playoffs twice with him here, he has always been put with defensively responsible players and is always still a minus. The only time the Oilers were good is when Pisani was our best rw in the playoffs.

Noone wants him in trade, and he is a .5ppg player.

Now the big beef with the younger Oilers is that they don't play defense, well they learned that from Hemsky. The guy literally does squat in his own end and got cherry minutes on the 1st line and 1st unit pp for ten years.

How can you convince the new guys that they need to do things that Hemsky never did here? He's a bad example and he's old enough that he's considered to be in a leadership role even tho he doesn't lead in the right direction.

As a matter of fact, yes.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Just listened to the MacT interview up on Oilers site... I guess we shouldnt expect anything from him for a while.

He is going to focus on the draft ... so it looks like we are officially in tank mode ..
The last answer is also a little alarming where he feels that the product he is presenting to the fans is entertaining enough..

It's a good thing because this team has too many holes.We truly need another top 2 pick to add to the crop.

Taylor Hall-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins-Jordan Eberle
David Perron-Sam Reinhart-Nail Yakupov

Or

Ekblad-Nurse

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
My credibility is gone as I attempt to have a discussion with someone who simply insults my posts without the slightest suggestion or attempt to prove what they are saying. It's like arguing with a junior high girl!

Comparing Jiri Hudler to Eberle is a god awful comparison.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
As a matter of fact, yes.
Ya got me, I was looking at the wrong person's stats this whole time.

I was looking at the guy who scored 15 goals 3 times in his career, avg'd .74ppg reg season and was a minus in 7 of his 11 seasons despite the fact that he played with veteran players on the 1st line that whole time. The guy who avg'd .56 ppg and -.3 per game in the playoffs.

I wasn't looking at the stats for the Ales Hemsky who was a legit 1st line offensive player with a solid defensive presence and blah blah blah. Lol.

This argument made at least some sense when people were projecting Hemsky to be a player. In hindsight do you really have a leg to stand on?

The team has sucked wind during the Hemsky era and mark my words, the team will unrecognisable when he is gone. It will start to be a winning team the day he's no longer on it.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
My credibility is gone as I attempt to have a discussion with someone who simply insults my posts without the slightest suggestion or attempt to prove what they are saying. It's like arguing with a junior high girl!

Or guy to be politically correct.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It's a good thing because this team has too many holes.We truly need another top 2 pick to add to the crop.

Taylor Hall-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins-Jordan Eberle
David Perron-Sam Reinhart-Nail Yakupov

Or

Ekblad-Nurse

I honestly dont see MacT hanging on to the first pick ..
Its gonna be a small skill player + 2014 1st for a big mobile gritty player ..

Some GM at deadline will offer one to MacT im sure... If not at deadline then at the draft.

Someone like Byfuglien or Larsson

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I honestly dont see MacT hanging on to the first pick ..
Its gonna be a small skill player + 2014 1st for a big mobile gritty player ..

Some GM at deadline will offer one to MacT im sure... If not at deadline then at the draft.

Someone like Byfuglien or Larsson

Huge Mistake by Mac-t.The Oilers are in no position to be trading away a top 2 pick away like that.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Huge Mistake by Mac-t.The Oilers are in no position to be trading away a top 2 pick away like that.

I think we have been in that position for the past 2 seasons.. Yak pick couldve been traded ... Nurse pick was very much in play ... This being hockey's future... we love the prospects but the organization has been wanting to get to that next step.

As long as we are not a bottom 3 team, MacT IMO should deal the pick...

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I think we have been in that position for the past 2 seasons.. Yak pick couldve been traded ... Nurse pick was very much in play ... This being hockey's future... we love the prospects but the organization has been wanting to get to that next step.

As long as we are not a bottom 3 team, MacT IMO should deal the pick...

IMO he only trades it if we get a slam dunk trade going. Otherwise probably not. Getting to the next step involves having a great deal of depth and we are severely lacking at several key positions this draft helps us in. He has recognized that it is a slow process on several occasions and even in his most recent interview. He didn't strike me as someone dangling the pick for a quick fix. Band-aid on a hemorrhage (our org depth and development) fixes nothing really.

For me if we aren't able to pick Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl or Colle we should probably trade it. But if any of those are available I think we need to pick.

ChefTO

Jan 13, 2010
A well rounded playoff team

We have some purely gifted individual talent on this team... we need to utilize its value and build a competitive playoff team...

Trades:
Yak & Gagner
to PHI
for S. Courturier and Simmonds

Hall & Klefbom
to Buf
for
Myers Erhoff and Foligno and Ott

Lineup

Foligno Nuge Ebs
Perron S.C Hemsky
Arco Gordon Simmonds
Gazdic Ott Jones / Smyth Jonensu Pitlick

Erhoff Petry
Ference Myers
Belov J. Schultz
N.Schultz Potter

Bryz / Dub

That to me has a balanced lineup and we improve our Center depth and D drastically!

Flame away

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
We have some purely gifted individual talent on this team... we need to utilize its value and build a competitive playoff team...

Trades:
Yak & Gagner
to PHI
for S. Courturier and Simmonds

Hall & Klefbom
to Buf
for
Myers Erhoff and Foligno and Ott

Lineup

Foligno Nuge Ebs
Perron S.C Hemsky
Arco Gordon Simmonds
Gazdic Ott Jones / Smyth Jonensu Pitlick

Erhoff Petry
Ference Myers
Belov J. Schultz
N.Schultz Potter

Bryz / Dub

That to me has a balanced lineup and we improve our Center depth and D drastically!

Flame away

First huge problem is giving away Hall for that. A Dcore not exactly preventing a **** load of goals being scored against. It's better than ours but Hall drives the bus for this team. I'd trade RNH before I'd ever trade Hall. Hall affects an outcome for our games waaay more than any other forward.

Other problem is you gave away a lot of our point scoring and replace it with not much point scoring.

Ott is not a 4C, not even behind SC. Yak is not getting traded with his dismal value atm. Maybe if another team sees a perceived value that is higher than his current worth.

This is barring the fact that Buffalo isn't completely dismantling their Dcore and quality veterans for Hall. Most teams not named Oilers have figured out that veterans are very important to a rebuild.

This team also needs to learn sign free agents and not gut and waste away 4 years of a rebuild.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Yeah I'm sure the Oilers are better off with another non NHLer like Luke Gazdic over an actual NHL player like Ales Hemsky

The Oilers are much better off with Luke Gazdic, a player that takes up negligible cap space, is physical, tough, actively tries to improve his game, knows and accepts his role, fills a need on this team, and works hard. Ales Hemsky is one of the most overpaid players in the NHL, soft, oft-injured, goes offside whenever possible even after 10 NHL seasons, pouted for a good season and a half about his role, is redundant and in the way, and is easily the laziest player to put on an Oilers jersey in the past decade bar Patrick O'Sullivan.
Eberle will always be a soft complimentary player.
J. Schultz is brutal.
The team will never win with Gagner as 2C.

What you call Garbage makes us a much better team.

Oh boy, you have never watched Brayden Coburn play have you? I'm sure we can all agree that Justin Schultz has terrible defensive awareness right? Coburn might actually make MORE dumb plays than Schultz. The guy is near Erik Gudbranson level imcompetent when it comes to decision making. If he's not busy giving the puck away, he's taking himself out of the play by either trying to hit some guy not even in the play, or standing around watching the puck and not looking at anything around him. The last thing the Oilers need is another inept defender who needs a compass in their own zone and is completely incapable of playing solid positional defence. There's a reason why Philly's such an inconsistent team.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
MacT is lucky... if he had to listen to all of us here he'd change his mind about what he should do every 15 minutes.

Oilers need to get bigger, tougher, better defensively, better in net... and all without giving any decent assets up.

Easy.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Have I been wrong this whole time?

The Oilers have made the playoffs twice with him here, he has always been put with defensively responsible players and is always still a minus. The only time the Oilers were good is when Pisani was our best rw in the playoffs.

Noone wants him in trade, and he is a .5ppg player.

Now the big beef with the younger Oilers is that they don't play defense, well they learned that from Hemsky. The guy literally does squat in his own end and got cherry minutes on the 1st line and 1st unit pp for ten years.

How can you convince the new guys that they need to do things that Hemsky never did here? He's a bad example and he's old enough that he's considered to be in a leadership role even tho he doesn't lead in the right direction.

This guy gets it. There's a reason why Hemsky didn't even get a letter despite the legion of Hemsky fanboys in this city claiming he's the "heart of the team". Any team with Ales Hemsky as the "heart of the team" would probably be lazy, soft, one-dimensional, oft-injure, inconsistent, constantly dangling and toe-dragging, incapable of adapting their game, and have a sense of entitlement and no accountability... oh wait that describes this team perfectly.:cry:

During this pathetic 8 year playoff drought, there has only been 3 constants for the Oilers: Kevin Lowe, Ales Hemsky, and Joey Moss. Kevin Lowe obviously has to be the first to go, but there are Hemsky backers here who feel Hemsky should retire an Oiler and can do know wrong, even after watching him pout the past 2 seasons. In their minds, I guess Joey is next on the chopping block.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Simple free agency D improvements. Assuming Ekblad is drafted and is NHL ready.

Sign MacD 4.25m (medium up to 5yr)
Sign Orpik 4m (short 2yr)

D can look like:

MacD - Petry (could stick Orpik RW with MacD, just spreading out the players)
Orpik - Schultz
Ference - Ekblad

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think major moves in the off season are getting a 3rd line established that can put up points as well as be defensively reliable, we still have little to no production from that line. Getting a good shutdown Dman for JSchultz is also important.

Sign Downie for around 3.5m
Sign Orpik for about 4m
Sign Alfredo Penner for 5m (ya ya blah blah)
Sign Macdonald for about 3.8m

I think this is decent without going ham, thinking we may get Phaneuf (would be awesome).
Could get a different goalie, or a better back up, nothing in stone and still have space.

FORWARDS
Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($6.000m) / Nail Yakupov ($0.925m)
Dustin Penner ($5.000m) / Sam Gagner ($4.800m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
David Perron ($3.813m) / Boyd Gordon ($3.000m) / Steve Downie ($3.500m)
Jesse Joensuu ($0.950m) / Mark Arcobello ($1.660m) / Luke Gazdic ($0.699m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrew MacDonald ($3.800m) / Jeff Petry ($2.750m)
Brooks Orpik ($4.000m) / Justin Schultz ($2.254m)
Andrew Ference ($3.250m) / Anton Belov ($1.525m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($3.500m)
Richard Bachman ($0.700m)

BUYOUTS
Eric Belanger ($0.000m) CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $6,974,875

I don't think we'd make the playoffs with this roster. Gagner still at No.2 C, Downie is very iffy for me in terms of consistency and dressing room presence, Penner at 5M would be terrible, we missed the boat on him this summer when he was cheap and if we paid that much, I guarantee he'd become whipping boy here once again. Keep in mind the Ducks just healthy scratched the guy. Joensuu has proven he's too slow for the 4th line energy role. The D is better, but Orpik's concussion history worries me, I think AMac may get more than 3.8 and really we still don't gain any puckmovers, which is a huge problem, so we wouldn't improve our terrible breakout game. Bryz and Bach is a scary tandem as well, would rather have 1A and 1B instead of handing Bryz the No.1 spot.

Also minor, but I'd like to see Gazdic as 13th forward if we keep him, have a real more speedy/PK player play on nights where he isn't needed.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
This guy gets it. There's a reason why Hemsky didn't even get a letter despite the legion of Hemsky fanboys in this city claiming he's the "heart of the team". Any team with Ales Hemsky as the "heart of the team" would probably be lazy, soft, one-dimensional, oft-injure, inconsistent, constantly dangling and toe-dragging, incapable of adapting their game, and have a sense of entitlement and no accountability... oh wait that describes this team perfectly.:cry:

During this pathetic 8 year playoff drought, there has only been 3 constants for the Oilers: Kevin Lowe, Ales Hemsky, and Joey Moss. Kevin Lowe obviously has to be the first to go, but there are Hemsky backers here who feel Hemsky should retire an Oiler and can do know wrong, even after watching him pout the past 2 seasons. In their minds, I guess Joey is next on the chopping block.

Hemsky was an assistant captain for a few years.

Of course when they shook up the leadership ranks and he didn't get a letter, first thing the media guys started talking about is how relieved Hemsky was not to have to put in an extra effort anymore :laugh:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I don't think we'd make the playoffs with this roster. Gagner still at No.2 C, Downie is very iffy for me in terms of consistency and dressing room presence, Penner at 5M would be terrible, we missed the boat on him this summer when he was cheap and if we paid that much, I guarantee he'd become whipping boy here once again. Keep in mind the Ducks just healthy scratched the guy. Joensuu has proven he's too slow for the 4th line energy role. The D is better, but Orpik's concussion history worries me, I think AMac may get more than 3.8 and really we still don't gain any puckmovers, which is a huge problem, so we wouldn't improve our terrible breakout game. Bryz and Bach is a scary tandem as well, would rather have 1A and 1B instead of handing Bryz the No.1 spot.

Also minor, but I'd like to see Gazdic as 13th forward if we keep him, have a real more speedy/PK player play on nights where he isn't needed.

Ah didn't realize Penner slumped. What about someone like Winnik for the 3rd line? We need some production there, it is still stagnant a bit. How is Morris for puck moving? I am trying to think of cheap alternatives to the Phaneuf train we aren't going to end up boarding. Just curious.

What about MacD + Girardi as a top pair better than getting Orpik?

MacD - Girardi
XXX - Schultz (XXX = Petry?, not sure TBH)
Ference - Ekblad (assuming he's drafted)

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
MacT is lucky... if he had to listen to all of us here he'd change his mind about what he should do every 15 minutes.

Oilers need to get bigger, tougher, better defensively, better in net... and all without giving any decent assets up.

Easy.

this is the conundrum they are, eventually, going to concede on. Oilers' management, and many Oiler fans, are in denial, believing this team can improve without giving up anything significant.

they are wrong.

and if they don't figure it out, this rebuild will go down as the biggest fail experiment in the history of the NHL.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Ah didn't realize Penner slumped. What about someone like Winnik for the 3rd line? We need some production there, it is still stagnant a bit. How is Morris for puck moving? I am trying to think of cheap alternatives to the Phaneuf train we aren't going to end up boarding. Just curious.

What about MacD + Girardi as a top pair better than getting Orpik?

MacD - Girardi
XXX - Schultz
Ference - Ekblad (assuming he's drafted)

I think Winnik would be excellent for the 3rd line, but not because of his production. He's already almost at his career totals this year. So far it's an anomaly, and until he does it consistently, it shouldn't be expected of him. Nonetheless, his defense, grit, and positional versatility would be a welcome presence.

MacDonald-Girardi would be a great addition, but I don't think we could afford it. Both are going to get north of $5M on long-term contracts, Girardi likely significantly more, and I don't think we can fit that in. It's too bad Girardi isn't a left shot. He'd look great beside Petry if he were.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

Also any 2C alternatives if we move Gagner?

Well, the thing is, I was a heavy supporter of Penner coming here in the summer of this year, only because I thought "well hey, he could be very cheap even though we know he can suck sometimes" and the Ducks got a steal for 2M. 5M though is a big overpay and Penner's probably motivated when he's playing well by knowing he could get that 5M overpay this summer (or playing with Getz and Perry, lol) I'd like Kulemin, and yeah Winnik would be an intriguing add.

I feel like we won't end up on the Phaneuf train, so then basically you're screwed unless you pull off some trades. UFA wise, Markov is old and not a good investment, Boyle wouldn't come here, I think Niskanen may work but ultimately we probably need 2 of these guys, not just one. Morris seems to hate the Oilers :laugh: and he's more of a defensive guy now, and he's older, so I'm not sure he'd want to sign here and not a contender. I think trade is what's going to have to occur here.

Gagner replacements? You could get one back via trade, Paul Stastny is a UFA, but I'd keep an eye on Ryan O'Reilly or Patrik Berglund as RFAs, as well as Couturier (in my dreams).

Ultimately, the holes here could have been filled easier say, last offseason perhaps, with Penner at a cheaper price, Grabovski, trading Gagner for a D-man when he had high value etc.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Well, the thing is, I was a heavy supporter of Penner coming here in the summer of this year, only because I thought "well hey, he could be very cheap even though we know he can suck sometimes" and the Ducks got a steal for 2M. 5M though is a big overpay and Penner's probably motivated when he's playing well by knowing he could get that 5M overpay this summer (or playing with Getz and Perry, lol) I'd like Kulemin, and yeah Winnik would be an intriguing add.

I feel like we won't end up on the Phaneuf train, so then basically you're screwed unless you pull off some trades. UFA wise, Markov is old and not a good investment, Boyle wouldn't come here, I think Niskanen may work but ultimately we probably need 2 of these guys, not just one. Morris seems to hate the Oilers :laugh: and he's more of a defensive guy now, and he's older, so I'm not sure he'd want to sign here and not a contender. I think trade is what's going to have to occur here.

Gagner replacements? You could get one back via trade, Paul Stastny is a UFA, but I'd keep an eye on Ryan O'Reilly or Patrik Berglund as RFAs, as well as Couturier (in my dreams).

Ultimately, the holes here could have been filled easier say, last offseason perhaps, with Penner at a cheaper price, Grabovski, trading Gagner for a D-man when he had high value etc.

Girardi by all accounts on the forums seems to be not that impressive, am I missing something? I saw a bunch of people rating their players and Girardi was consistently mediocre. 5m seems steep. I'd offer MacD 5 mill because he plays 26 min a night. Not super productive though, unfortunately.

What about Cogs as an interim 2C? He seems to be producing well in Ana.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
this is the conundrum they are, eventually, going to concede on. Oilers' management, and many Oiler fans, are in denial, believing this team can improve without giving up anything significant.

they are wrong.

and if they don't figure it out, this rebuild will go down as the biggest fail experiment in the history of the NHL.

Let me throw some hypotheticals at you:

We trade Sam Gagner for Jake Gardiner

We trade Hemsky for a valuable asset at the deadline (B+ prospect or mid-late 1st rounder)

We trade Nick Schultz for a late 2nd

We sign Ott to 5 years @ $4.5 million per

We sign Girardi to 5 years @ $6 million per

We sign Brian Boyle to 5 years @ $3 million per

We sign Ryan Reaves to 3 years @ $2 million per

We sign Mark Stuart to 3 years @ $2.5 million per

We trade Jeff Petry and the trade returns for Hemsky and N. Schultz for a real goalie.

We draft Reinhart

Hall-RNH-Perron
Yakupov-Reinhart-Eberle
Ott-Gordon-Smyth
Gazdic-Boyle-Reaves

Ference-Girardi
Gardiner-J. Schultz
Nurse-Stuart

New Goalie
Bachman

Would you not at least look at that team and say playoffs are possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad