Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I have been hoping for Buff for a while. Big, mean, vet RD that can put up points. I don't care if they have to overpay to get him. That's how UFA works. If the contract is bad in 4-5 years I don't care. Retain salary and move it then. If the Oilers are close to the playoffs near the deadline I hope they toss Winnipeg a 1st + prospect for him and work their ***** off to sign him.

I'd much prefer to trade a 1st+ for Buff near the deadline instead of moving RNH for a young undeveloped Jones.

Screw the trade deadline... we are close to the playoffs now. I know it's only been 1 season for the management, but we're within reach of a playoff spot, and the division is just waiting for someone to step up and take it.

We should be working our ***** off over the freeze, and pulling off some moves for some D men ASAP.

There is no reason not to try for the playoffs this year, while our division is ripe for picking.

Trade freeze ends, you send a first and schultz or prospect for a buff rental, try to trade ebs for another top 4 Dman, work your ass off to sign Big buff, and finish the year off with

Hall Drai Purcell/RNH
Pouliot Mcdavid Yak
hendricks letestu korp
pak lander gazdig

or something like that

and on D

Buff Sekera
Klefbom Someone
Nurse Davidson
NN/Fayne/Gryba

Talbot/Nilsson

Im so tired of waiting for these picks to turn out, lets strike now while it may still be worth something.

Edit: On second thought, that bottom 6 is gross. That entire fourth line should be either in the AHL or a 13th forward at best.
I guess we'd also have to aquire an entire third line...

Last edited:

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I think you guys are missing the reason we do this trade. It is too hard to acquire a #1 dman but this trade gives us an opportunity to acquire a guy that plays second pair today and has potential to be a #1 right shot d. We have seen that a #1 D is the most valuable player in the game. Our previous pain should not determine how we move forward today. It would suck to lose Nuge and short term might set us back but you have to give to get. I could see Nurse or Klefbom / Jones pair being our Keith/Seabrook for the next 10-15 years.

Nuge + Schultz for Jones + ??

This is all understood, but it's not about the sunk cost, it's that the timing doesn't work for us. We've already squandered Taylor Hall's first seasons by failing to give him a balanced roster to work with and expecting him to take on too much too young and now you're suggesting we do the same to McDavid and Drai.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
I have been hoping for Buff for a while. Big, mean, vet RD that can put up points. I don't care if they have to overpay to get him. That's how UFA works. If the contract is bad in 4-5 years I don't care. Retain salary and move it then. If the Oilers are close to the playoffs near the deadline I hope they toss Winnipeg a 1st + prospect for him and work their ***** off to sign him.

I'd much prefer to trade a 1st+ for Buff near the deadline instead of moving RNH for a young undeveloped Jones.

Agreed on this. While I think Jones has a lot of potential and may eventually be a #1D, Byfuglien is a #1 right now, albeit not one of the truly elite.

Buff is intimidating, physical, can put up points and provides a (right handed, at that) cannon from the blue line, while playing against top opposition, which is basically a list of all the qualities our d-corps currently lacks. Jones isn't intimidating or particularly physical, isn't particularly productive yet (I think that this is likely to develop over time), and most importantly isn't facing top opposition in his current role.

There's a decent enough chance that in 5 years, Jones is better than Byfuglien. As of today, it's not even close in my eyes. If the Oilers want to improve today and become a competitive team while McDavid is still on his ELC, then I'd rather pursue Byfuglien in general, and the fact that he might be much cheaper (or even possibly a free agent signing) to acquire is an added incentive in my eyes.

McDeathbyCheerios*

This is all understood, but it's not about the sunk cost, it's that the timing doesn't work for us. We've already squandered Taylor Hall's first seasons by failing to give him a balanced roster to work with and expecting him to take on too much too young and now you're suggesting we do the same to McDavid and Drai.
Then we find a good middle six center to help out.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
as much as I love Weber I think Nuge 1st and Reinhart is a bit of a stiff price to pay, would need atleast Wilson coming back. That slapshot though....

Weber is one of the best D -men in the league and the Preds have already paid 1/2 his contract I think---For me--If I were the preds I would turn down that deal--any deal for Weber the building blocks are either Hall or McDavid and no one else from the oilers

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If it's not Jones, then it'd be Weber. Nashville fans are dreaming that they can get their long-awaited top line center for spare parts.

I agree that a return of Jones and Wilson makes a bit of sense if you move some money around. And with both he and Nuge struggling offensively, it kind of makes sense.

Nashville can't trade Weber because of his contract. They need to keep him into the years when his salary drops or they could be devastated by cap recapture penalties. Unless the next CBA gives them an amnesty in that regard he is theirs for years to come.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Screw the trade deadline... we are close to the playoffs now. I know it's only been 1 season for the management, but we're within reach of a playoff spot, and the division is just waiting for someone to step up and take it.

We should be working our ***** off over the freeze, and pulling off some moves for some D men ASAP.

There is no reason not to try for the playoffs this year, while our division is ripe for picking.

Trade freeze ends, you send a first and schultz or prospect for a buff rental, try to trade ebs for another top 4 Dman, work your ass off to sign Big buff, and finish the year off with

Hall Drai Purcell/RNH
Pouliot Mcdavid Yak
hendricks letestu korp
pak lander gazdig

or something like that

and on D

Buff Sekera
Klefbom Someone
Nurse Davidson
NN/Fayne/Gryba

Talbot/Nilsson

Im so tired of waiting for these picks to turn out, lets strike now while it may still be worth something.

Edit: On second thought, that bottom 6 is gross. That entire fourth line should be either in the AHL or a 13th forward at best.
I guess we'd also have to aquire an entire third line...

I said the deadline because I don't think the Jets would consider moving him before then.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I said the deadline because I don't think the Jets would consider moving him before then.

Yeah, it wasn't meant to be a shot at you, I'm just tired of this team letting everything slip away instead of actively trying to get better when they have a chance.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
OMG check out the trade proposal from a leafs fan on the main board for Komarov.

Summarize: We give up a first for Komarov or we give up Drai for Komarov and a 3rd or 4th rounder. Guy is dead serious.

McDeathbyCheerios*

OMG check out the trade proposal from a leafs fan on the main board for Komarov.

Summarize: We give up a first for Komarov or we give up Drai for Komarov and a 3rd or 4th rounder. Guy is dead serious.
If it was a top 5 protected pick and Komorov was signed for a few years then hell why not. If he can continue his play like he is now then he would be great to have.

McDeathbyCheerios*

C'mon now you're just making names up. :D

RNH+Schultz+2017 1st for Hamonic and Grabovski
Yikes. That's a bit much and I don't think NYI needs a center. That said if NYI added a prospect or low pick I would be interested.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think that is a big issue for me when looking at RNH for Jones trade.

Before people freak out, lets get this out of the way. Seth Jones is a ****ing stud. The guy has every tool to be a cornerstone #1 D-man in the league. You want hockey IQ, physical play, a shot, bloodlines, whatever, he has it.

My issue is are we willing to risk year 2 of McDavid's ELC as a developmental year for that. Ignoring RNH's ability (or lack thereof depending on which side you're on), we'd go into next season with McDavid and Draisaitl as our #1 and #2 C's. Our top-6 on D will involve half the guys playing less than 200 NHL games. That's also assuming Jones is ready for a bigger role considering he's not playing one of the leagues best defenses.

We've done this before guys, take any of the past 5 seasons. Thrown in players into big situations before they were ready. It has turned out to result in the playoffs a grand total of zero times. More youth is going to result in another developmental year. Something that is unacceptable at this stage.

I agree with your core point and even though I would be reluctant to see RNH traded if he is Jones is probably the type of player you need to target. Unfortunately, if you want someone more established he is either going to be a lesser player or will come with warts. The only other guy I think could be in the mix is Hamonic on a three way deal. And like you I think that Jones is a ways away from being the impact defender that some hope he would be.

That said I am less sure that Jones is all that you say. He is an absolutely great athlete with elite potential. But he is not nor has he ever really been very physical. He has excellent size but I have always found him to play a very passive game. And despite what has always seemed to be a very high IQ he has at times struggled with his decision making. Since he is young, this is not so surprising. But like almost every young defenseman he is prone to bone headed plays.

If the Oilers did move Nuge for Jones then I would be even more eager to see if they could use the 1st + (or what ever it takes) in the off season to get Hamonic. Adding Hamonic would give Jones a chance to play to his strength while developing with less responsibility. You could end up with something like.

Klefbom Hamonic
Sekera Jones
Nurse Davidson
Reinhart

Sekera and Jones get easier opposition and are able to play more of an offensive game. Klefbom and Hamonic do the heavy lifting.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Yikes. That's a bit much and I don't think NYI needs a center. That said if NYI added a prospect or low pick I would be interested.

Only thing different from your package is the first, but that's because we're getting better/more proven players in my deal (and fobbing off Schultz). Hamonic is what we'd want Jones to become in a few years and Grabovski is a perfect 2/3C right now.

As for the Isle's needs, their #2C is Nielsen who is 31 years old with a career high of 58 points. RNH would be a definite upgrade there.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I don't really have a problem going into next season with McDavid and Drai as our #1 and #2. Regardless of his lack of experience, McDavid is a #1C. Drai does well with Hall, so as long as those two stay together, it should be ok.

Despite all the talent on forward, it's just not working and some guys (RNH/Eberle most likely) have to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad