Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
They pick the best two way players. That's why you saw Kunitz, Sharp, Marleau, Bergeron, Carter on the 2014 Olympic team and players like Bergeron, Marleau, Morrow, Richards, Toews on the 2010 team. All good teams stress defence first and championship teams are always filled with defensively responsible players who can score. The only complete player we have is McDavid, and Hall to an extent this season.

Kunitz made the team because of Crosby. If we could get a Bergeron, Oreilly or Toews I would be all for it. But I would rather let our 4th line be our checking line and run 3 lines capable of going toe to toe with almost any scoring line in the league. I cringe everytime I see our "energy" line on the ice. If we can't get the stud top pairing Dman we need for our skilled forwards then we can atleast try and overwhelm the other teams with offense instead of trading them away for 3rd liners.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Matt Hendricks.

One of RNH/Eberle have to go, though, imo.

Seriously, you're replacing a scorer with a energy type player. The only other guy on this team capable on scoring the Eberle goal in Boston in CMD, and he's injured.

As invisible as Eberle can get, the guy scores and knows how to score. When he roofs it, it wasn't an accident, it was aimed.

Sorry, but try again...

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Let's take a look at some of the best teams in the NHL's top 6 and see if we can find a pattern.

Boston:

Marchand-Bergeron-Connolly
Beleskey-Krejci-Eriksson

Looking so far like each like has one pure offensive player, a solid two way player, and a gritty player. Moving on...

Los Angeles:

Pearson-Kopitar-Gaborik
Lucic-Carter-Toffoli

Beginning to see a trend here.

St. Louis:

Paajarvi-Stastny-Tarasenko
Steen-Backes-Brouwer

Minnesota:

Vanek-Granlund-Pominville
Parise-Koivu-Zucker

Chicago is probably the only team that gets away with having a purely offensive line in Panarin-Anisimov-Kane, but they also have Selke Gods Toews and Hossa, along with 3 incredible defencemen.

The point is that when our top 9 is

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Khaira-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov

Other teams know they have nothing to worry about playing against us. We've got outshot how many times in a row now? Winning off unbelievable goaltending performances and lucky bounces. Our top 9 has what, one two way player in RNH? Maybe two in Draisaitl if you can count him. We are weak as hell and the game against Boston last night should have been a blowout.

More skill doesn't = more wins.

edit: I will add that you should look at the Stanley Cup champs in the past 10 years lineups. All very similar balance-wise. Strong defence is priority followed by two way centres and gritty wingers.

What you fail to realize is that Kassian is worse than every single player on that list. Kassian wouldn't crack the top 6 of an AHL squad these days. He is a VERY BAD hockey player. only reason he has been on an NHL lineup is because people think he has "potential"

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
They pick the best two way players. That's why you saw Kunitz, Sharp, Marleau, Bergeron, Carter on the 2014 Olympic team and players like Bergeron, Marleau, Morrow, Richards, Toews on the 2010 team. All good teams stress defence first and championship teams are always filled with defensively responsible players who can score. The only complete player we have is McDavid, and Hall to an extent this season.

If you have Nuge and Drai bringing the two-way play and Hall and McDavid ramming the puck down the other team's throats shift after shift, I don't think a soft sniper would be out of place at all.

To be honest, I'm not against trading Eberle for the right return, but the return needs to drive the deal, not philosophical or aesthetic objections to Eberle's play.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
when Khaira is ready to be a regular NHLer he can come back to NHL and replace this flawed character.

Last night proved Khaira needs to add a gear physically and mentally. To be honest last night exposed a lot more Oilers.

That was his first poor game since he got called up. There were tons of passengers last night, not sure why this rookie is being singled out.

With that said, I'm somewhat intrigued by Kassian. He has character issues but he brings a needed skillset when he's on his game. I'd rather see him slot into RNH-Eberle LW than Korpikoski or Hendricks which will likely happen once the healthy bodies return and Khaira gets sent down.
What's the worst that can happen? It's not like one guy is going to destroy locker room harmony and it's not like he has an anchor contract.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That was his first poor game since he got called up. There were tons of passengers last night, not sure why this rookie is being singled out.

With that said, I'm somewhat intrigued by Kassian. He has character issues but he brings a needed skillset when he's on his game. I'd rather see him slot into RNH-Eberle LW than Korpikoski or Hendricks which will likely happen once the healthy bodies return and Khaira gets sent down.
What's the worst that can happen? It's not like one guy is going to destroy locker room harmony and it's not like he has an anchor contract.

I expected Khaira to push back considering he was the only big body in our top 6.
The 2nd line scored 5 points despite him and not because of him.

Just a little disappointment really... Still like the guy but he is one Oiler that can be compared to Kassian in terms of the role.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I expected Khaira to push back considering he was the only big body in our top 6.
The 2nd line scored 5 points despite him and not because of him.

Just a little disappointment really... Still like the guy but he is one Oiler that can be compared to Kassian in terms of the role.

Honestly, I'm not sure how anybody can be disappointed with Khaira. At least as far as I'm concerned, he has exceeded expectations, kept up very well with RNH and Eberle and I thought was the best player on that line at times.

However, it's clear that he needs to work on some things so I'd take Kassian over him for this season. I don't see what the Oilers have to lose here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I suspect Kassian's drinking problems are worse than what we know if Montreal is waiving him.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Honestly, I'm not sure how anybody can be disappointed with Khaira. At least as far as I'm concerned, he has exceeded expectations, kept up very well with RNH and Eberle and I thought was the best player on that line at times.

However, it's clear that he needs to work on some things so I'd take Kassian over him for this season. I don't see what the Oilers have to lose here.

Pretty much this (except for kassian). Very low draft pick still not that far removed from draft. If anything this stint has showed potential that may not have been apparent just reading his Stat line. I'd rather not bring in Kassian but that's personal preference. Not a fan of how he takes cheap shots.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
For anyone still on the anti-RNH train. Consider the fact dude is only 22. He is on pace for 60 and has gone thru a dry stretch. One good 10 game stretch could easily put him on 70 point pace

Sedin at 22
54 points in 82 games

Datsyuk at 22
68 points in 75 games

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
For anyone still on the anti-RNH train. Consider the fact dude is only 22. He is on pace for 60 and has gone thru a dry stretch. One good 10 game stretch could easily put him on 70 point pace

Sedin at 22
54 points in 82 games

Datsyuk at 22
68 points in 75 games

And both those guys put those numbers up in the early 2000's when league scoring was way higher.

As for Kassian, I wouldn't mind if Chia put a claim in on him as long as they keep him on a short leash. He brings a lot of what we need and if they can turn him around that would be a huge boost getting a player like that for nothing. If he doesn't fit, you waive him.

And as supremely talented as Eberle is offensively if you have a chance to trade him for an impact defenseman you do it. Replace him with a cheaper two way player someone like Eriksson or Brouwer.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Seriously, you're replacing a scorer with a energy type player. The only other guy on this team capable on scoring the Eberle goal in Boston in CMD, and he's injured.

As invisible as Eberle can get, the guy scores and knows how to score. When he roofs it, it wasn't an accident, it was aimed.

Sorry, but try again...

So? You lose some offense but get better on defense. That's just how it works in this industry. You can't always get better, better, better everywhere. Some Oilers fans are just far too in love with certain players.

And to those saying, "We wouldn't have won the past X games without him". Did you think the Oilers would be in playoff contention missing the entire McDavid line? Other guys will just have to step it up to replace that scoring, and I believe they can.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Sedin at 22
54 points in 82 games

Datsyuk at 22
68 points in 75 games

So you would prefer 3 expensive centermen, a poor defense, and no chance at competing for anything? Or would you prefer to dump Drai or Mcdavid to address those problems? The future cap hits of Drai/RNH/Mcdavid won't allow you to keep all three and fix the defense at the same time, and wingers won't get the type of player this team needs on the back end in a trade anyways, unless you believe moving Hall is the desirable option.

The Oilers spent years taking the BPA in the draft, the excuses given were usually that defensemen were difficult to project, and even if you end up with excess players at a position they can be moved to fill in needs at other positions. Both of those statements are still pretty reasonable premises today, and it's come time to pony up now that the Oilers have 3 top 6 centermen, minimal depth on the wings, and a weak defense that struggles to compete night in and night out.

Hell, I hope he scores at a 70 point pace, pump up that value and get the best possible return for him.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
So? You lose some offense but get better on defense. That's just how it works in this industry. You can't always get better, better, better everywhere. Some Oilers fans are just far too in love with certain players.

And to those saying, "We wouldn't have won the past X games without him". Did you think the Oilers would be in playoff contention missing the entire McDavid line? Other guys will just have to step it up to replace that scoring, and I believe they can.

You believe Letestu and Lander can play any higher up the lineup than they already are. Good luck with that.

So no, the Oilers wouldn't be in playoff contention if Eberle/RNH was also out.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So you would prefer 3 expensive centermen, a poor defense, and no chance at competing for anything? Or would you prefer to dump Drai or Mcdavid to address those problems? The future cap hits of Drai/RNH/Mcdavid won't allow you to keep all three and fix the defense at the same time, and wingers won't get the type of player this team needs on the back end in a trade anyways, unless you believe moving Hall is the desirable option.

The Oilers spent years taking the BPA in the draft, the excuses given were usually that defensemen were difficult to project, and even if you end up with excess players at a position they can be moved to fill in needs at other positions. Both of those statements are still pretty reasonable premises today, and it's come time to pony up now that the Oilers have 3 top 6 centermen, minimal depth on the wings, and a weak defense that struggles to compete night in and night out.

Hell, I hope he scores at a 70 point pace, pump up that value and get the best possible return for him.

No I am saying we need to be very cautious with how we deal with RNH, and also Eberle. Dealing RNH in a slump is an incredibly bad idea. The above stats just show the tale that similar centers werent lighting the league up at 22 (RNH had better years before age 22 as well). Both those guys then had break out seasons the next season. So if people or Chiarelli is thinking about dealing RNH for any D other than Jones/Larsson, he will probaly get burned. Let RNH finish this season. Also let Sekera/Nurse/Klefbom and even Davidson play this season because by the end, Sekera and Klefbom could cement themselves as legit top pairing options and Nurse/Davidson could be solid second pairing.

I am not opposed to trading RNH, just be very careful when they do so

Ideally you land Fowler for Eberle or come out like bandits with a Yak++ trade and call it a day

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
And if by seasons end, both RNH and Eberle + 2nd have same value, I am dealing Eberle 100/100 times

RNH is young, way better 2 way and more potential. I think he could be a great winger. Plus if LD or McDavid go down, hes your center to step in.

Rock a top 6 of

Pouilot-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-LD-RNH

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
You believe Letestu and Lander can play any higher up the lineup than they already are. Good luck with that.

So no, the Oilers wouldn't be in playoff contention if Eberle/RNH was also out.

If you took them out and didn't replace them with an equivalent dman/forward then they wouldn't.

One or both have to go, though. Not now obviously, since we have a ton of injuries, but you can't have that kind of money tied up in what will be a 3rd line.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No I am saying we need to be very cautious with how we deal with RNH, and also Eberle. Dealing RNH in a slump is an incredibly bad idea. The above stats just show the tale that similar centers werent lighting the league up at 22 (RNH had better years before age 22 as well). Both those guys then had break out seasons the next season. So if people or Chiarelli is thinking about dealing RNH for any D other than Jones/Larsson, he will probaly get burned. Let RNH finish this season. Also let Sekera/Nurse/Klefbom and even Davidson play this season because by the end, Sekera and Klefbom could cement themselves as legit top pairing options and Nurse/Davidson could be solid second pairing.

I am not opposed to trading RNH, just be very careful when they do so

Ideally you land Fowler for Eberle or come out like bandits with a Yak++ trade and call it a day

I don't think teams are going to trade based on slumps or even a 10 game streak. The key is finding a team that really values a guys play and a team that has what you need.

On a side note look at faceoffs from the 27th on. I know they brought it up how we are a lot better in the draws, but that's some damn good numbers as of late for RNH on the dot. Is Woodcroft some sort of genius?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8476454&season=20152016&view=log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad