Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Two Canadiens scouts attended the Texas Stars AHL game, once again fuelling a possible trade involving Pacioretty as well as some prospects from Dallas.
The recently reported price asked by Marc Bergevin for his captain includes two draft picks, a top prospect and an NHL player, the two scouts were probably evaluating Dallas' young prospects.

thoughts? what does Dallas have to offer??

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Two Canadiens scouts attended the Texas Stars AHL game, once again fuelling a possible trade involving Pacioretty as well as some prospects from Dallas.
The recently reported price asked by Marc Bergevin for his captain includes two draft picks, a top prospect and an NHL player, the two scouts were probably evaluating Dallas' young prospects.

These must have been the same two guys, who were scouting the Jackets.......meanwhile, MB is shopping for new pants.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
It seems that many people on this board want to trade for Québécois players. I’ve always thought it would be cool if there was some way in which the draft could contain a round where you could have exclusive rights to one player from ypur province/state.

You mean like Toronto who would then have Connor McDavid (Richmond Hill), John Tavares (Mississauga), Steve Stamkos (Markham), PK Subban (Toronto) ... then there is Drew Doughty (London), Ryan O'Reilly (Clinton), Mark Scheiffle (Kitchener) ... need I go on.

More players in the NHL are from Ontario than from anywhere else, and more players are from Toronto GTA than elsewhere in Ontario. It would give Toronto an unfair advantage like the Habs had in the 70's when they controlled the minors.

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Must be scouting Bryan Flynn.

There's not much of interest on the Texas Stars' roster.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Would be interesting to be able to trade guys like Patch, Pleky, Shaw, Alzner, Benn. Imagine drafting a solid top prospect and also having $20M+ to convince two major pieces to come to the Habs.

- Tavares ($12M+)
- Backlund ($6.5M max)
- Stastny ($7M max)
- Trade for McDonagh in a sign and trade? ($7.5M)

Unloading Patch and one of Shaw or Alzner could open up options for us this summer.
Why trade for McDonagh when Carlson is a UFA?

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007

The prospect could be Roope Hintz.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
So people on this board think the guy who just traded a future Norris winner in Sergachev for a 2nd line LW in Drouin will be able to get fair value for Weber?

If sergachev is a future norris winner, then Drouin is a future art ross winner...

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
More players in the NHL are from Ontario than from anywhere else, and more players are from Toronto GTA than elsewhere in Ontario. It would give Toronto an unfair advantage like the Habs had in the 70's when they controlled the minors.

That's completely untrue.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Roy could had been drafted easily. He went in a 4th round.... I would like Timmins to pay more attention to the Q at large. Not only French-Quebecer kids. Guys like Sprong or Barbachev or the Acadian Myers could had been picked/signed.

Gourde and Marchesseault were easily signed as undrafted by TB.

I am just asking Timmins to be more open to talents closer to home.

It can't be a total coincidence that while Brisebois was in charge of the Habs farm team, the org. signed undrafted Q players (Desharnais, Desjardins) and since he's been in Tampa, they've been doing the same (Marchessault, Gourde).

Reactions: jackeymoon and Roke

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
You mean like Toronto who would then have Connor McDavid (Richmond Hill), John Tavares (Mississauga), Steve Stamkos (Markham), PK Subban (Toronto) ... then there is Drew Doughty (London), Ryan O'Reilly (Clinton), Mark Scheiffle (Kitchener) ... need I go on.

Montreal's advantage in the 70's is that Pollock figured out the true value of draft picks before anyone else and exploited that understanding mercilessly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why trade for McDonagh when Carlson is a UFA?

Carlson shoots right and McDonagh shoots left. McDonagh is the type I want on our D as he is very tough to play against. We would have the prospect pool to make a move like this.

Next year depending on who we are able to draft. If we draft a forward and we are able to acquire McDonagh in a sign and trade with conversations with Tavares that he would sign if we can make this happen.... One step at a time and each step can change depending on circumstance of how they relate to each other.

1. Trade Pleky for a 2nd (at least). Trade others like Benn, Shaw, Hemsky, Schlemko, Alzner if the return is worth it. Shaw or Alzner would have to be moved to create cap space to get 2 big pieces and Shaw would be the guy you can move easily

2. Trade Patch if a team is willing to meet the "futures" return. Lets say Thomas or Vilardi type, 1st round pick, and another piece

3. Have a good draft. Lets say we are able to draft one of Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Boqvist, Dobson, Kupari, Wahlstrom which is very likely. Then also target other pieces with our multiple top 100 picks. We have a strong potential to reinforce our prospect pool greatly and position ourselves to either fill voids or be in on a trade for a impact player like McDonaugh

4. By this point, we would be able to re-sign Danault to a new deal ($4M max) and also have roughly $20M in cap space to go after Tavares and another piece. Lets say Tavares says if you are able to acquire a piece like Backlund or Stastny, I will sign for 7 years at $12M. Or if you are able to acquire a guy like McDonagh in a sign and trade. Remember, we would have about $7-8M in cap space to work with after Tavares. I believe this is enough to get assets like McDonagh, Backlund, or Stastny.

Option 1 (Tavares and McDonagh and Shaw and Patch gone):
Galchenyuk / Tavares / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Drouin / Scherbak
Hudon / Danault / Byron
Deslauriers / DLR / McCarron
Froese, L Shaw

Mete / Weber
McDonagh / Petry
Alzner / Schlemko
Jerabek, Morrow

Price
Lindgren

Prospects:
- 2018 1st (top 10 pick)
- Thomas or Vilardi (Patch trade)
- 2018 1st or 2019 1st (Patch trade)
- Poehling
- Juulsen
- Brook
- Evans, Bitten, Ikonen, Fleury, Vejdemo, etc
- Other pieces we get with our additional 6 top 100 picks in the 2018 draft
- 2nd round pick (Pleky trade)
- Picks from trading Shaw

Last edited:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
That's completely untrue.

Montreal's advantage in the 70's is that Pollock figured out the true value of draft picks before anyone else and exploited that understanding mercilessly.

I didn't say the Habs had first choice on picking the first French player, that might have happened one year in 1946 or 47 only and was then rescinded, but they did have better access to the minors than other teams did prior to the advent of media technological advances that are around today, especially for teams in the now QMJHL area ... and yes Sam Pollock was a lot better than his counterparts.

No use hammering on this, it has been done over a lot and will always be a "yes they did, no they didn't argument".

Teams in the past weren't the mega corporations that they are today, some fledgling teams back then barely had a scouting staff.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Must be scouting Bryan Flynn.

There's not much of interest on the Texas Stars' roster.

On Dallas, there's this Radulov guy who's pretty good :sarcasm:.

Dallas could use Patches, but they could also use Weber.

As far as Dallas (and not Texas) roster players go: Esa Lindell would be my target. He'd fill a huge hole on LD, then Faksa. Any of these two would be great. Honka I've barely noticed when I watched the stars, but he was a good AHL player and had some hype.

There's not much in their prospect pool either. Heiskanen, obviously, then there's a big drop off with Robertson and Hintz. Nothing too exciting. Hintz is the guy I guess they would target on the Texas roster.

If he does trade with the Stars, I just hope MB doesn't settle for Shore.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Hintz is pretty much their only AHL prospect that's doing decent this year. Honka and Guryanov have both had their struggles, particularly the latter.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
I didn't say the Habs had first choice on picking the first French player, that might have happened one year in 1946 or 47 only and was then rescinded, but they did have better access to the minors than other teams did prior to the advent of media technological advances that are around today, especially for teams in the now QMJHL area ... and yes Sam Pollock was a lot better than his counterparts.

No use hammering on this, it has been done over a lot and will always be a "yes they did, no they didn't argument".

Teams in the past weren't the mega corporations that they are today, some fledgling teams back then barely had a scouting staff.

They had better access to the minors than the other teams before 1967 because Frank Selke vastly outspent the rest of the original six when building up the farm system.

It wasn't about regional rights or any codified advantage, it was recognizing there was value to be had by doing something different, better, and much more extensive than their competitors and executing it.

Reactions: Captain Wolverine

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’m down for Hintz and Honka for the simple fact that I want the Habs to have more Finns. A great hockey country with responsible two-way talents.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Trades for the rebuild I would attempt:

Trade 1:

To Tampa Bay Lightning: Shea Weber

To Montreal Canadiens: Dan Girardi, Brett Howden, Cal Foote, 2018 1st round pick, and 2019 third round pick.

Lighting get a stud defenseman that instantly make them cup favorites and gives them a top right hand shot defenseman. Habs eat Girardi’s cap hit and contract for a year, and get a top young Center prospect with size and skill in Howden, a solid defense right defenseman prospect in Foote, and a first round pick in a deep draft.

Trade 2:

To St Louis Blues: Max Pacioretty

To Montreal Canadiens: Jordan Kyrou, Tage Thompson, 2018 1st round pick

Blues acquire the Habs Captain and add him to a deep roster for a playoff run this year and next year on a very favourable contract. Habs get a prospect that oozes talent in Kyrou, a big forward with skill in Thompson and a first round pick.

Trade 3: Thomas Plekanec to whichever team will pay a 2nd round pick and possibly more.

Habs would then have top prospects in all areas in the system - Howden, Poehling and possibly Kyrou as centers. Thompson on the wing. Foote on defense with Juulsen. Along with 3 first round picks in the 2018 draft, and 4 second round picks as well, with a ton of cap space to make deals or take on bad contracts for picks while the team rebuilds.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

I'm not sure I'd call than an unfair advantage, especially since Montreal also invested a lot into the farm systems. It sounds more like a sound development strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad