Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

A few more questions...

1. In the next 3-5 years... Who is better? Mete or McDonagh?

2. Remember, this kind of "all in move" is only made if we are able to draft Dahlin and sign Tavares.

Patch / Tavares / Gallagher
Galchenyuk / Drouin / Scherbak
Lehkonen / Danault / Shaw

Dahlin / Weber
McDonagh / Petry

Price

I would hesitate with trading Mete and Poehling for McDonagh (sign and trade) as well but the point would be going for a cup starting next year and for the next few years after that. Mete is a solid piece but he can get pushed around and be exposed in the Playoffs IMO. He might be the smallest Defenseman in the league? I am also high on Poehling but he's not making an impact in the NHL for a few years yet.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Both Weber and McDo are stay at home D.

I think you have to have a PMD on every pairing and for sure on your 1st.

But yes, I would do that trade as McDo is younger than Weber, but then I would trade Weber.

I would then look to snag a PMD for the top pair.

You would not like this top 4D?

Dahlin / Weber
McDonagh / Petry

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Nope, real easy : Poehling is a CENTER and he looks like a good one, we need it. Mete can be better than McDonagh. Crazy trade to do.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
According to Lebrun...

Asking price for Brassard believed to be;

1st round pick + top prospect + 3rd piece to the trade.

Brassard has 1 more year left on his deal at 5M

I wonder if there's still some folks on here who are satisfied trading Pacioretty for a 1st + top prospect?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lol. Whoops. Obviously didn't think there. We draft Dahlin.

Yeah, in a heart beat.

No worries. I think McDonagh would be a great add but if we are trying to negotiate a sign and trade and make our offer better than others, I think they would ask for Mete and Poehling and probably another piece. A guy like McDonagh plays a rough style game and provides just enough offense. I think he is a very good piece to have in the playoffs.

Our dreams start with Dahlin and it's a long shot! But dreams sometimes come true. Leafs had a 80% chance at losing the lottery and they won. We would likely have a 10% (+/-) chance at best at winning the lottery. We need to be lucky that is for sure.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
According to Lebrun...

I wonder if there's still some folks on here who are satisfied trading Pacioretty for a 1st + top prospect?

Sens are starting high with Brassard like the Habs with Patch. Truth is in the middle but it really does depend on the prospect. Call me crazy, but I would trade Patch for Thomas/2019 1st/2020 2nd type package. Thomas and Poehling would be great pieces up the middle for us and we can target a defenseman in the next draft. It's about addressing areas of need vs trying to maximize your return for Patch.

Honestly, I don't see many players like Patch and Brassard getting traded due to a high asking price. Habs will try to trade Patch at the draft and get a Lucic type return (13th pick and a proven piece like Jones). If we would be able to trade Patch for Veleno and another solid piece, I would be happy with that.

Last edited:

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
According to Lebrun...

Few things to note:
1. This is an asking price. A lot of asking prices start high as it begins the discussion and the eventual trade ends up being less than what the selling gm was asking for, just something to look out for.
2. This depends on how you define a "top prospect". For example some people may only view the top 15 prospects (whoever they may be in their opinion) as "top prospects" where as others may view the top 50 prospects as "top prospects"
3. The third piece is likely something small like a minor pick or something with little value

To answer your question. If it was the right prospect coming back for Pacioretty (a center would most likely have to do it no shock) then yes I would still do said prospect and a 1st for PacMan.

Reactions: WinterLion

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sens are starting high with Brassard like the Habs with Patch. Truth is in the middle but it really does depend on the prospect. Call me crazy, but I would trade Patch for Thomas/2019 1st/2020 2nd type package. Thomas and Poehling would be great pieces up the middle for us and we can target a defenseman in the next draft. It's about addressing areas of need vs trying to maximize your return for Patch.
Of course the sens are starting high (which is funny cause they want more for Brassard than what they paid to acquire him despite him having 2 subpar seasons in ottawa).

Point of my post was just to highlight how incredibly low some proposals to trade Pacioretty are.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nope, real easy : Poehling is a CENTER and he looks like a good one, we need it. Mete can be better than McDonagh. Crazy trade to do.

So you don't support an all in move if we are able to get Dahlin and Tavares? Of course I would not make a Mete/Poehling for McDonagh deal if we don't get Dahlin and Tavares but if we do, I would make this all in move. That's the point. I agree Poehling is a center and he will be a good middle 2 center but we are years away from him making an impact.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...

That shouldn't be called crazy at all. The thing is you really wonder with Bergevin if he would commit to a multi-year "rebuild/retool" or if he will attempt to quickly shuffle the cards a bit this year and compete again next season. Something tells me he is going to try the latter...

PepsiMayWest

Nov 7, 2007
Montreal/Ottawa
I've avoided this thread since it's creation and I can safely say (after reading 1 page worth of posts) that I have missed 1000+ posts worth of absolutely worthless discussion.

Reactions: Peanut

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
So now we’re just going to rely on false comparisons. Ok, would you have liked Lucic in his prime? I would have loved to. Unfortunately Lucic and Saad are absolutely nothing alike and so you post makes even less sense.
You make ZERO sense because Saad is not a player you give up anything for he is overpaid and mediocre...CASE CLOSED.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of course the sens are starting high (which is funny cause they want more for Brassard than what they paid to acquire him despite him having 2 subpar seasons in ottawa).

Point of my post was just to highlight how incredibly low some proposals to trade Pacioretty are.

I understand. So to be clear... Do you like a Thomas/2019 1st/2020 2nd return for Patch at this years deadline? Or do you prefer to keep him if we don't get our 1) Warm NHL ready body, 2) Top Prospect, 3) 1st round pick asking price?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Few things to note:
1. This is an asking price. A lot of asking prices start high as it begins the discussion and the eventual trade ends up being less than what the selling gm was asking for, just something to look out for.

Oh I know...still find it interesting in comparison to what so many here were/are willing to settle for, to trade Pacioretty.

2. This depends on how you define a "top prospect". For example some people may only view the top 15 prospects (whoever they may be in their opinion) as "top prospects" where as others may view the top 50 prospects as "top prospects"

Also agreed...there are different types of "top prospects"

3. The third piece is likely something small like a minor pick or something with little value

Nevertheless...it's about maximising value for a player.

To answer your question. If it was the right prospect coming back for Pacioretty (a center would most likely have to do it no shock) then yes I would still do said prospect and a 1st for PacMan.

Agreed...depends who that prospect is. He'd had to be a can't miss, he's going to play in the NHL next year AND make an impact, type of prospect.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That shouldn't be called crazy at all. The thing is you really wonder with Bergevin if he would commit to a multi-year "rebuild/retool" or if he will attempt to quickly shuffle the cards a bit this year and compete again next season. Something tells me he is going to try the latter...

I think Bergevin is not afraid to make a move but we can't afford another bad move and I think he knows this. For me, I worry about our President as he can't help him or block a certain move because he doesn't know anything about hockey. Having said this, if Bergevin was trying to save his job, he would of traded Galchenyuk or Patch for a lateral move or made another move to sacrifice the future. He has not done this which means he is moving forward month by month and exploring options.

I'm not a huge Bergevin supporter at this stage but I'm not a huge hater either. I am very curious to see what we do from now till the start of next season. I want a big fish or no fish type moves this off season. In other words, no more Alzner contracts! I also don't support trading futures until we address the holes in our lineup with proven pieces that help us become contenders.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I understand. So to be clear... Do you like a Thomas/2019 1st/2020 2nd return for Patch at this years deadline? Or do you prefer to keep him if we don't get our 1) Warm NHL ready body, 2) Top Prospect, 3) 1st round pick asking price?
Thomas + 1st in 2019 or 2020 is not enough for me.

Yes I'd prefer to keep him if that's the best offer.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You make ZERO sense because Saad is not a player you give up anything for he is overpaid and mediocre...CASE CLOSED.

So a 25 year old power forward who is good for 20-30 goals, 50+ points and entering his prime years is not worth anything in your mind? CASE CLOSED!!!!!! (fingers in your ears yelling) Nananananananaan don't want to hear anything else Nanananana!!

I hate to be the one to tell you this but Saad has better numbers than EVERY other Canadiens forward other than Patches over the past few years yet he's not worthy of anything in your eyes. That just tells me you haven't seen him play at all because you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Thought so and I respect that. Most are willing to sell low just to get rid of him or are falling in the trap at accepting low ball offers from other teams. I don't think a Thomas/2019 1st/2020 2nd is a low return but I do see your point of no proven asset coming back in that package.

Like I said in a previous post... I think our best move will be at the draft. If we can trade Patch for a top 10 or top 15 pick with another proven asset (like the Lucic trade), I would make this move. That's if we don't win the draft lottery. If we do win the draft lottery, I keep Patch and go after Tavares.

Reactions: 417

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site

My biggest concern with Max is re-signing him...I think his next contract will be impossible to move...his value will never be higher than it is right now (excluding the past). The question is, do we wait for somebody else to move first to set the market? Or do WE set the market with a move.

I think we should wait until the first deal is made...Max has a great contract so the contenders can find space for him...if Nash is dealt then we'll at least know a minimum return for Max.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Thought so and I respect that. Most are willing to sell low just to get rid of him or are falling in the trap at accepting low ball offers from other teams. I don't think a Thomas/2019 1st/2020 2nd is a low return but I do see your point of no proven asset coming back in that package.

Like I said in a previous post... I think our best move will be at the draft. If we can trade Patch for a top 10 or top 15 pick with another proven asset (like the Lucic trade), I would make this move. That's if we don't win the draft lottery. If we do win the draft lottery, I keep Patch and go after Tavares.

If we demanded people to think before they spoke and actually watch players they have opinions about, there would be no hfboards.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
According to Lebrun...

It's silly to dumb it down like this. It always depends on who the prospect is and how high that first round pick is. Don't play dumb to win an argument you have created yourself.

Example
Package 1
Best center prospect not in NHL 19 year old 6'4
10 oa 1st

Package 2
Solid winger prospect
20th overall
Some 4th liner

What's the best deal? One has more components to it so it must be the best deal. :sarcasm:

Look what some of us are saying is that the NHL piece you are adding is taking value away from the main component of the deal. It's a pretty simple concept to understand.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site

I fail to see how we could get more at a draft than at the trade deadline when teams are deciding whether to take a run at a cup or not, but that's just me. Max has 2 years left on his sweetheart contract (including this year); and that's a valuable thing imo. Teams that are true contenders are going to have trouble fitting a legit sniper in their lineup but Max's salary makes it intriguing. It would also push those pretender teams into the mix. The more people that are interested the better our return should be.

BUT if we don't get a good enough return - a young C, a 1st round pick, and a top prospect - then I would do as you suggest and trade him at the draft.

But I still think his value for this playoff run + another for a legit contending team would be what I try to sell to the other GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad