Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
They would have no need for Price and still does not help the center issue.

They do need Price, but it doesn't help their Center issue, no. Just throwing it out there.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Strome- bust
Domi - busting
1st - won’t play for at best two years.

No thanks.

What makes Strome a bust? Is it his first pro season in the AHL as a 20 year old and scoring 41 points in 33 games? The fact he's 11th in scoring in the minors despite him being the only player in the Top-20 having played less than 35 games and also being the youngest player in that Top-20?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
the lol at the end adds to your credibility. Some day you will understand hockey. But i am not going to wager on it.
Yeah I do hope I understand hockey one day. I guess I'm just an idiot who thinks that 3rd liners aren't essential, I should be making fun of cup contenders for trying to get star players when they are missing out on Andrew Shaw. Jokes on them, extend Bergevin he knows what he is doing. I mean not winning a single series in 3 years, that is something I wouldn't know though. Thanks for somewhat believing me to understand hockey in the future. Maybe I'll actually understand why we spend an extended period of time scouting the likes of Mike Brown. But I agree, don't wager on it, I may never truly understand why we love our bottom 6 players while hate on our best players.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
What makes Strome a bust? Is it his first pro season in the AHL as a 20 year old and scoring 41 points in 33 games? The fact he's 11th in scoring in the minors despite him being the only player in the Top-20 having played less than 35 games and also being the youngest player in that Top-20?
I'm not calling Strome a bust but I think he will be a disappointment.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm not calling Strome a bust but I think he will be a disappointment.

I'll reserve my judgment of him because he's been a scoring machine at every level before. He may take a bit longer to get it going at the NHL level. But for a kid who is in his first season in the pros, he's scoring. He may just be someone who needs some marinating first, but I think he'll be able to figure it out.

Frankly, hindsight being 20/20, what Arizona did with Strome as a 3rd pick overall is something I think back and hope Habs did with Galchenhuk as a 3rd OA. Especially since Galchenyuk was injured practically his entire draft year.

Reactions: Andrei79

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'll reserve my judgment of him because he's been a scoring machine at every level before. He may take a bit longer to get it going at the NHL level. But for a kid who is in his first season in the pros, he's scoring. He may just be someone who needs some marinating first, but I think he'll be able to figure it out.

Frankly, hindsight being 20/20, what Arizona did with Strome as a 3rd pick overall is something I think back and hope Habs did with Galchenhuk as a 3rd OA. Especially since Galchenyuk was injured practically his entire draft year.
Strome's skating is very concerning, that's a huge issue.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Regarding Galchenyuk, he at least showed he could compete in the NHL at 18. He was on a 46 points pace at 18, which is pretty good all things considered.

The mistake was never committing to developing him into a center. That should have been done by the time he was a sophomore in the league. In hindsight, yeah, maybe spending some additional time in the OHL could have been beneficial, but I don't think it was necessarily required. Heck, in spite of all that went wrong since he has been in Montréal, I'd argue he still developed into a top line forward. Whether that's as a LW, C or RW, I guess we'll never know.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Nope. It’s his 2 points in 18 NHL games over 2 years as a 3rd overall pick. It’s his lack of progression and disappointing results after being so highly touted as a prospect. It’s the fact he’s had every opportunity to crack a dismal NHL roster and has been a huge disappointment when he has played in the NHL. But I guess if he keeps trying really hard he can strive to be like Chris Terry in the AHL one day.

Would I take a flyer on him if he became available, sure, why not. He’s definitely not someone I’d be shooting for when trading Patches.

As for Domi, 12 goals in TWO years since scoring 18 as a rookie. It’s that he’s numbers have been getting worse and worse every year. Again, nice as a possible reclamation project like Duclair but not as a core piece for one of the most consistent top 5 goal scorer’s for the past 5-7 years. Patches needs to yield us a bona fide top centre prospect and Strome isn’t that. We should be able to do better.

Hope you guys aren’t critical of Bergevin because if you’d make that trade, you’d be far worse GMs than him. And that’s saying something.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm sorry but a kid that has 41 points in 33 AHL games as a rookie at 20 years old doesn't exactly qualify as a bust in my book.

Remember when Scherbak was a bust too?

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Don’t tell that to Blues fans. They think he’s a franchise centre.

He's not as valuable as Blues fans think. If Pacioretty goes to St Louis, I'd be very surprised if one of Kyrou or Thomas doesn't go the other way.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm sorry but a kid that has 41 points in 33 AHL games as a rookie at 20 years old doesn't exactly qualify as a bust in my book.

Remember when Scherbak was a bust too?

Sherbak wasnt drafted 3rd OA. A pick where he was drafted has a 40% chance of even making the NHL.

At 20 and playing for a terrible organization, Strome should have shown he can at least play a middle 6 role in the NHL. He can’t even keep up. Watching him play has been painful. Granted I only saw him 2 or 3 times but seriously, it was not good.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Sherbak wasnt drafted 3rd OA. A pick where he was drafted has a 40% chance of even making the NHL.

At 20 and playing for a terrible organization, Strome should have shown he can at least play a middle 6 role in the NHL. He can’t even keep up. Watching him play has been painful. Granted I only saw him 2 or 3 times but seriously, it was not good.

So what? He's still a kid, give it time. Whether he was picked 3rd overall or not is irrelevant, especially considering he's absolutely killing it in the AHL right now, again, as a rookie.

Blake Wheeler took a while to make a name for himself, and he was a 5th overall pick. Look at him now.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Nope. It’s his 2 points in 18 NHL games over 2 years as a 3rd overall pick. It’s his lack of progression and disappointing results after being so highly touted as a prospect. It’s the fact he’s had every opportunity to crack a dismal NHL roster and has been a huge disappointment when he has played in the NHL. But I guess if he keeps trying really hard he can strive to be like Chris Terry in the AHL one day.

Would I take a flyer on him if he became available, sure, why not. He’s definitely not someone I’d be shooting for when trading Patches.

As for Domi, 12 goals in TWO years since scoring 18 as a rookie. It’s that he’s numbers have been getting worse and worse every year. Again, nice as a possible reclamation project like Duclair but not as a core piece for one of the most consistent top 5 goal scorer’s for the past 5-7 years. Patches needs to yield us a bona fide top centre prospect and Strome isn’t that. We should be able to do better.

Hope you guys aren’t critical of Bergevin because if you’d make that trade, you’d be far worse GMs than him. And that’s saying something.

Fair enough. However, I don't think of him as a 3rd overall in the sense that because he was drafted so high, he should be in the NHL. Some players take longer to develop. If he becomes a full-time NHL'er at 22 but plays like a 3rd overall then, will he still be a bust because he wasn't doing that at 19?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So what? He's still a kid, give it time. Whether he was picked 3rd overall or not is irrelevant, especially considering he's absolutely killing it in the AHL right now, again, as a rookie.

Blake Wheeler took a while to make a name for himself, and he was a 5th overall pick. Look at him now.

Fair enough. However, I don't think of him as a 3rd overall in the sense that because he was drafted so high, he should be in the NHL. Some players take longer to develop. If he becomes a full-time NHL'er at 22 but plays like a 3rd overall then, will he still be a bust because he wasn't doing that at 19?

That’s fine. I’m not trading an established top 5 goal scorer in the hopes he turns into Wheeler and not one of the thousands of prospects who don’t make it. Certainly have a tough time seeing him develop into an equal to or greater than player than Patches as he’s been fairly awful when playing in the NHL.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
That’s fine. I’m not trading an established top 5 goal scorer in the hopes he turns into Wheeler and not one of the thousands of prospects who don’t make it. Certainly have a tough time seeing him develop into an equal to or greater than player than Patches.

Calling Patches a top 5 goals scorer is a false truth in and of itself.

One for one, maybe not, but we could do a LOT worse than Strome for Pacioretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad