Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
To me he's clearly, above and beyond any name on that list except for Tavares...who unless they fall out of the playoff race in the next 2 weeks, will absolutely not trade Tavares at this deadline.

But in theory, you're right, the more names available the less likely it becomes a contending team wants to stomach the price it will take to acquire Pacioretty. If it will save them trading one of their top prospects, i'm sure they'll go after a Vanek type of rental.

But that absolutely does not mean the Habs should be lowering their asking price to trade him. Again, there's no pressure to deal Pacioretty.

I think it depends. Some of those guys are different from one another. Kane brings an aggressive element. Bailey is having a monster year. Vanek can set up teammates well. Patches is a perimeter elite scorer. So it depends. It also depends if the team wants anything beyond a rental. They might have different plans and don't want to commit another year to a player, even at a very cheap 4.5M cap.
So as I said, it depends. Can't say.
Point was, the more names, the lesser the value. Demand and offer..basic.

And I agree. They should not change their asking price.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There's an interesting article in LaPresse Plus...2 or 3 scouts give their takes on each player on the Habs that may be available at the trade deadline and what they may be worth and/or the likelihood of them being moved.

It's in french, i'll try to post the link

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. The number of wingers becoming available is starting to saturate the market. Max, Vanek, Maroon, Grabner, Hoffman, Nash, Kane.

The key pending UFA's are Kane & Nash IMO. Then there is a bit of a drop with Grabner, Vanek, Maroon, Vrbata, etc. Patch and Hoffman are not likely to be traded.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
It would be a bigger mistake to trade him at less than what he's worth...again, I don't know where this imaginary line in the sand has been drawn with Pacioretty.

The Habs do NOT have to trade Pacioretty, he has not requested a trade, he is not a pending UFA who the team doesn't plan on re-signing.

His future, even beyond next year, may actually be in Montreal. I think people are jumping to too many conclusions.

I'm sure that's what a lot of people thought at last years trade deadline with Matt Duchene...

I don't agree with that necessarily...any team that's looking to acquire Max Pacioretty is going to have to pay a big price, and rightfully so, and these types of deals are usually deals that are easier and more likely to pull off in the summer.

Max Pacioretty is a UFA next summer...whose to say the Habs actually don't want to keep him? Whose to say any perspective team looking to acquire Max Pacioretty, is also keen to sign him to an extension?

He's our best skater/trading chip...creating some false narrative that he MUST be traded this deadline only serves opposing GM's trying to capitalize on the Habs precarious situation.

It would be a mistake.

That being said, i've been in lockstep with @Kriss E (shocking I know) on this for the last few weeks...I don't see him being traded by this deadline.

Duchene was not a rental even though he was traded this season.

If Pacioretty is traded next season, we won't have the same offer as this year. It's just logic.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know much about him. But Sam Steel is a better player, though.
Yes,Sam Steel dominated the WHL last year and was named MVP even out played Barzal and Steel is younger born in 98 and Barzal born in 97 although Barzal did miss a lot of games last season.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Duchene was not a rental even though he was traded this season.

If Pacioretty is traded next season, we won't have the same offer as this year. It's just logic.

They're under no obligation to trade him

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We won't re-sign.

I can't see the habs re-signing him. No way they gonna pay him his raise.
How do you know this?

How can a team, so desperate for top 6 forwards, really completely dismiss the possibility of re-signing their best forward?

The Habs are having a terrible year, so it's natural to consider all options, including moving Pacioretty...that being said.

He STILL remains a very important (and valuable) player for this team and considering how much the cap is going up, I think we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions about his future. We have no idea what kind of raise Pacioretty wants...

Can't assume he's going to want 8-9M over 8yrs...what's the point of rushing to make a decision when you don't have too?

Reactions: Astormynight

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
How do you know this?

How can a team, so desperate for top 6 forwards, really completely dismiss the possibility of re-signing their best forward?

The Habs are having a terrible year, so it's natural to consider all options, including moving Pacioretty...that being said.

He STILL remains a very important (and valuable) player for this team and considering how much the cap is going up, I think we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions about his future. We have no idea what kind of raise Pacioretty wants...

Can't assume he's going to want 8-9M over 8yrs...what's the point of rushing to make a decision when you don't have too?

We will never win with Pacioretty as our top offensive weapon.

A team will win with him when he will get a secondary role ala Kessel in Pittsburgh. We are far from that.

The best scenario of to get a nice return for him to rebuild our offence.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
SAM STEEL is number 46

upload_2018-2-7_9-57-2.png

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We will never win with Pacioretty as our top offensive weapon.

A team will win with him when he will get a secondary role ala Kessel in Pittsburgh. We are far from that.

The best scenario of to get a nice return for him to rebuild our offence.

Agreed...but trading him for players who themselves, won't be better offensive weapons, doesn't help the situation.

Again, if you have the deal that makes sense, you pull the trigger.

But if not, you hold on to him and let things play out as they will...maybe he's moved at the draft, maybe he's moved at next deadline, maybe they re-sign him to a deal that makes sense.

But what they can't do, is trade him at a discounted cost. That doesn't serve anyone except the team who benefits from it.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The thing is teams aren't going to pay the moon for Max when they could just get a rental for cheaper.

This is a reasonable statement, though at the same time, if a team likes what Patches brings, he can potentially be able to help for two cup runs/defences. His cap hit is reasonable enough that the team won't need to deal with any contract renewal or discussion this summer. Another thing to consider is Max could be a rental next year if he doesn't resign early. For that team, they could potentially recoup the 1st and prospect they gave up (though likely no more than that so it won't be a complete break even).

Reactions: ArsHabs

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
This is a reasonable statement, though at the same time, if a team likes what Patches brings, he can potentially be able to help for two cup runs/defences. His cap hit is reasonable enough that the team won't need to deal with any contract renewal or discussion this summer. Another thing to consider is Max could be a rental next year if he doesn't resign early. For that team, they could potentially recoup the 1st and prospect they gave up (though likely no more than that so it won't be a complete break even).
I certainly do hope a team pays the moon for Max, just I have my doubts. If teams aren't willing to give us what we need, I hope we just keep him. It's a longshot, but having Max in the fold would help us court Tavares. As well, if Max comes out next year on fire (35 goal pace like he's usually good for), there's a decent chance that what we can get for Max at next years deadline isn't far off what we can get for him this year since he's had a down year.

Essentially what I'm saying is, I hope Bergevin asks for the moon (ie that potential #1 center plus picks), and if he can't get it, I hope he holds steady and keeps Max.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Bob Mackenzie said this morning Calgary is looking for a scoring winger. Hinting potentially Pacioretty as a target. Burke and Co wants players with contract and not pending UFA.

Reactions: Hannibal

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The deal Bergevin should be trying to get is Thomas and Fabbri from St. Louis for Pacioretty and Plekanec @ 50%. I would even do Pacioretty @ 50% for those two players.

Nice deal if he can pull it off but Doug Armstrong is not likely to relent on Thomas.

How much more should the Habs be willing to add?

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Bob Mackenzie said this morning Calgary is looking for a scoring winger. Hinting potentially Pacioretty as a target. Burke and Co wants players with contract and not pending UFA.

Its the best fit since calgary are in win mode now with the aquisition of Smith and Hamonic.

I would go Jankowski and Valimaki since they don't have first round pick.

Reactions: DaNaultinus

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Its the best fit since calgary are in win mode now with the aquisition of Smith and Hamonic.

I would go Jankowski and Valimaki since they don't have first round pick.

Could be a good fit b cause they let Jagr walk last week. They have a few young players and prospects we could acquire.

Mark Jankowski
Sam Bennett
Juuso Valimaki
1st round 2019

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Anyone else think a deal around Max Domi for an extended Pacioretty this summer makes a lot of sense all around?

Max Domi
Dylan Strome
2019 1st round pick

for

Max Pacioretty (extended)
Charlie Lindgren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad