Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Don't think it's wise for the Habs to be trading draft picks...unless we're getting an established player back.

Prefer to keep them also but if the offer is just a 2nd and you can turn that into a 1st, why not ?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
The PP was rising even when Shaw was there. In fact, when he was there, he was probably the most useful player on the PP unit at the time. He would win the face-offs almost all the time. He would station himself in front of the net and is a master at tipping pucks. I would argue that he was one of the reasons the PP had ANY success at all at first.

Should a trade be required, I'm all for it. And it's not like the PP is struggling without him, either, as you say. But he brings more than just a presence in front of the net during the PP. He's one of the best on the forecheck and wins most of his battles along the boards. He plays with some jam and while having skilled players is a must, having a player like him in the line-up is not detrimental.

And it's not like he can't contribute on the score sheet either. Before he went down, he was on pace to having one of his most productive seasons in his career.

Both his powerplay play and intensity have been commendable this year. But, the pp is fine without him, and Gallagher, Deslaurier, Lehkonen, and Carr can bring the intensity. What he brings is replaceable imo and what he doesn't bring needs to be replaced: on a team without a top 10 scorer, we need 3 lines of players who know how to stickhandle and make a play. Shaw's a good pin ball player, but the game is moving away from that. Plus, the fourth line is worse with him than with Carr Froese/De la Rose Deslaurier.

I hope when he comes back he doesn't take someone in the top 9's spot, or Carr or Deslaurier on the 4th. But I know that's exactly what will happen. He and his 4 million dollar contract have to go.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
You wouldn't think so reading HF
Maybe there's a reason for that.

Almost everyone has noticed Patches putrid play because this year he isn't scoring. Previous years his play was basically the same except he would get 35 goals. The way he played in previous years was basically the same as this year except he isn't getting his goals this year. A lot of fans have noticed that. Many will return to liking him if he returns to scoring his regular 30-35 goals a year. But you have to ask yourself would it be better for the team to have a complete all round player who shows up for important game but scores only 25 goals a year or Patches who scores 10 goals more but has huge holes in his game? I prefer the latter especially when you note the fact that Patches goes invisible when the going gets tough (playoffs, International tournaments).

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
What's funny is if the first " Confirmed Trade With Link " is Benn for a 3rd or 4th.

People are so worked up. Waiting for the big splash.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I'm not liking the Rangers, the Sens and the Red Wings being sellers in addition to the usual bottom dwellers. Lots more available and thus lowering the value of Pleks and Patches and Benn and ...

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
If you really want to bring Plakanec back (you shouldn’t) do what the Leafs did with Polak. Trade him at the deadline and then re-sign him in the summer.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Posted this in another thread...from 690 this morning.

Basu: It would be irresponsible for them not to trade him as in his opinion, they can get more than a late 4th for him...if that's all that's available, you might as well hold on to him and let him play out the rest of his career. That being said, he can't imagine a contending team not being interested in playing a shutdown/shadow role on their team.

Dreger: Some are wondering if the Sens can get a 1st for JG Pageau, the Sens don't really want to trade him, but if they can't get a 1st for Pageau then its not realistic the Habs could get more for Plekanec

Gagnon: Spoke to some scouts over the weekend, he asked if a 2nd + 4th is a realistic deal...the consensus amongst scouts was that if the Habs got a 2nd + 4th for Plekanec, it's because there was a bidding war and the price increased. If the Habs were able to get a 2nd round pick for Plekanec, it would be a great deal for Plekanec.

Last edited:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
What about trading 50% retained Plek and a 3rd for a 1st round/

Or a trade like 50% retained Plek for a conditional 2nd which can become a 1st if the team acquiring him wins the Cup?

Something like that?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Of course you are. You don't know what Pacioretty is going to bring in a trade. I bet you also predicted how Duchene was not going to attract the huge haul he produced. Why don't we wait and see what a GM who needs that missing offensive piece for a Stanley Cup run, is willing to pay?

Only caveat: our GM is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Of course I don't know what he will bring in a trade. However I think it's pretty safe to say the return will not be a 23 year old top pairing D. That would be insane value wise and the team dealing that D would be making themselves worse because 22 minutes from a top pair D is worth more to a team than Patches right now.

I think a 1st an NHLer and a top prospect is more than reasonable and I'm not downplaying patches in the slightest. I was just responding to the fan who through Lindell name out as the possible "NHL player" when realistically Dallas wouldn't trade Lindell for Patches straight up

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Montreal has three second round picks next draft already. They need picks for 2019 and 2020. Vegas did a good job convincing teams to trade them picks in those years. Montreal should do the same. If a team is worried about spending a second rounder for Plekanec, ask for 2020.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
What about trading 50% retained Plek and a 3rd for a 1st round/

Or a trade like 50% retained Plek for a conditional 2nd which can become a 1st if the team acquiring him wins the Cup?

Something like that?

Depends on what you give as value for Plekanec, and it depends on where those picks are.

I’d give Plek a 3rd-ish value. So a 3rd + another 3rd isn’t enough for a 1st.
I’d guess you’d probably have to put a 2nd in there instead of a 3rd to get into the first round.

The 2nd option is definitely more viable. Still not sure any team gives a conditional 1st.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Remember when Arizona didn’t trade Vrbata at the deadline and Chyka was summarily panned for not having a pulled the trigger because he didn’t get what he was asking for?

It’ll be much worse if we don’t trade Plex. Much, much worse.

Trade him for your last best offer. Period.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
You can dangle the bait but they won't bite. Liljegren is one of their planned future defensemen. Mark Hunter is really high on him.

The Leafs are running Hainsey & Zaitsev as their top RD in the last year of Nylander's entry-level contract with one year left on Marner's and Matthews.

Hugging prospects is all well and good but when you have an opportunity like they do the next two playoffs you have to go for it. They'll still be able to contend after those ELCs are up but you they won't get a better chance to build a Cup-winning team than the next two years with those ELCs being massive value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Posted this in another thread...from 690 this morning.

Basu: It would be irresponsible for them not to trade him as in his opinion, they can get more than a late 4th for him...if that's all that's available, you might as well hold on to him and let him play out the rest of his career. That being said, he can't imagine a contending team not being interested in playing a shutdown/shadow role on their team.

Dreger: Some are wondering if the Sens can get a 1st for JG Pageau, the Sens don't really want to trade him, but if they can't get a 1st for Pageau then its not realistic the Habs could get more for Plekanec

Gagnon: Spoke to some scouts over the weekend, he asked if a 2nd + 4th is a realistic deal...the consensus amongst scouts was that if the Habs got a 2nd + 4th for Plekanec, it's because there was a bidding war and the price increased. If the Habs were able to get a 2nd round pick for Plekanec, it would be a great deal for Plekanec.

2nd and another piece is what I always thought he would fetch as a Pending UFA. If we are lucky, one team coughs up a 1st to get him over another team. There is some concern that NHL GM's who are buyers are going to wait last moment for price to drop on several pending UFA's but at some point, one GM is going to make a move and get the ball rolling. It's a game both the sellers and buyers are playing right now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal has three second round picks next draft already. They need picks for 2019 and 2020. Vegas did a good job convincing teams to trade them picks in those years. Montreal should do the same. If a team is worried about spending a second rounder for Plekanec, ask for 2020.

Agreed. There are only so many 2nd round draft picks that turn into NHL players. Diversity and get more picks in 2019 and 2020. This team can rebuild on the fly while we do a yearly reset or retool. Keep Price and Weber and if things don't turn around, we trade them as 32/33 and 34/35 year olds when the cap rises due to extra expansion teams.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tampa is looking at Plekanec as per TSN Radio. Why? They have like 9 centres. Lol

Islanders would be a good trade partner. Pleky, Benn, Shaw, Schlemko would be assets we could trade to reinforce their playoff run (make Tavares Happy) and we can take a few of their picks. I suspect the Islanders will wait till last moment to see if they are buyers or sellers though as they are in the thick of a wild card battle.

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
I'm not liking the Rangers, the Sens and the Red Wings being sellers in addition to the usual bottom dwellers. Lots more available and thus lowering the value of Pleks and Patches and Benn and ...

I guess it could have some sort of influence but it could also lead to an arm race. Let's say LA get Hoffman then SJ may answer by getting Nash and Anaheim may answer by getting Patches

Should be interesting to see what happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad