HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
What about putting in a claim for Jeffrey Viel? He’s a very solid AHL player that will score between 15-20 goals there, while providing lots of toughness and physicality for the young Habs in Laval.

Could also be called up for games that require more physicality in the lineup, and would not look out of place on the fourth line.

Added bonus would be that you take him away from the Bruins organization.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
What about putting in a claim for Jeffrey Viel? He’s a very solid AHL player that will score between 15-20 goals there, while providing lots of toughness and physicality for the young Habs in Laval.

Could also be called up for games that require more physicality in the lineup, and would not look out of place on the fourth line.

Added bonus would be that you take him away from the Bruins organization.
Claiming a guy on waivers only to waive him straight away is frown upon at best.

(Though if you're saying that you'd have him in Montreal before inevitably moving him down, fair enough))

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Claiming a guy on waivers only to waive him straight away is frown upon at best.

(Though if you're saying that you'd have him in Montreal before inevitably moving him down, fair enough))
My thoughts behind it are:

Viel is a solid AHL player, and should score between 15-20 goals in that league, while providing toughness/protection for the younger players there.

Could he play in the NHL? Possibly, he may even be effective in a limited fourth line role.

But Boston and Montreal aren’t going to be trading partners, so I figured he’d have to be claimed, played for a bit and eventually waived/sent down to Laval. And with the season opener coming up, and a high potential for fireworks against the Leafs, Bruins and Senators? Wouldn’t hurt to have some more muscle in the ranks.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
My thoughts behind it are:

Viel is a solid AHL player, and should score between 15-20 goals in that league, while providing toughness/protection for the younger players there.

Could he play in the NHL? Possibly, he may even be effective in a limited fourth line role.

But Boston and Montreal aren’t going to be trading partners, so I figured he’d have to be claimed, played for a bit and eventually waived/sent down to Laval. And with the season opener coming up, and a high potential for fireworks against the Leafs, Bruins and Senators? Wouldn’t hurt to have some more muscle in the ranks.

That makes sense. I thought you wanted to claim him only to stash him down right away

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
lots of interesting names, liked aston-reese when played for the leafs.. seems to be an ideal bottom 6. doubt there's room.

Reactions: 26Mats

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Coco-Suzu-Slafk
Roy-Dach-Newhook
Pelletier-Dvorak-Armia
Heineman-Evans-Anderson
Gallagher/Pezz

At least up until Laine and RHP are back, then we can re-evaluate.

We could even fit in Kapanen if we want by sending down Pezz.
Pezz would 100% get claimed from waivers. Even Stanley cup champions Panthers would claim him to replace guys like Lomberg, Lorentz, Cousins on their 4th line.

Reactions: BLONG7

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I mean that will happen with some of our prospect we fill that are untouchable now

I would take a chance on him, nothing to loose. If it’s doesn’t work we can waive him in 1-2 months and if it work, where getting a free asset. Last time we took a small forward with a high compete level and that produce at high level in the Q from Calgary, it work well !

If we bring in Pelletier, we have to cut one of Kapanen, ABB, or Pez. Who would be your choice?

Kapanen would have to go to Europe. ABB or Pez would have to go on waivers.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
If we bring in Pelletier, we have to cut one of Kapanen, ABB, or Pez. Who would be your choice?

Since the deadline for waivers for the locked roster at 5pm was yesterday, ABB and Pez are staying. And since the Habs aren't cap compliant with 23 players, there is a lot more going down today (some will be recalled on the 9th). Habs never had any intention of taking anyone on waivers.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Since the deadline for waivers for the locked roster at 5pm was yesterday, ABB and Pez are staying. And since the Habs aren't cap compliant with 23 players, there is a lot more going down today (some will be recalled on the 9th). Habs never had any intention of taking anyone on waivers.
Paper-demote Xhekaj and Hutson and we are $2,083 under the cap, assuming PuckPedia's Bonus overage calculation is correct.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If you claim someone you can't then waive someone to make room?

It was a mistake not taking Tolvanen on waivers. Easy to see in hindsight. But I hope they don't make a mistake like that again.

I assume this is how things will be by Wednesday:

Caufield Suzuki Slaf
Armia Dach Newhook
Roy Dvorak Anderson
Kapanen Evan's Gallagher
Pez, ABB

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Struble
Barron

Monty
Primes

Laval: Heineman, Mailloux, Engstrom

Fir the record, my lines would be:

Caufield Suzuki Slaf
Kapanen Dach Dvo
Roy Newhook Armia
Anderson Evan's Gallagher
Pez, ABB

I consider sending Roy down to make room for Pelletier

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
If you claim someone you can't then waive someone to make room?
Waivers are at 2pm every day. Both knowing if you go the guy you claimed and sending your list of waivers. And it take 24 hours for the player waived to be removed from your roster.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Waivers are at 2pm every day. Both knowing if you go the guy you claimed and sending your list of waivers. And it take 24 hours for the player waived to be removed from your roster.

So we could claim Pelletier and paper send down guys like Roy, Xhekaj, and Struble, if the intention was to claim Pelletier today and waive say ABB tomorrow?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
So we could claim Pelletier and paper send down guys like Roy, Xhekaj, and Struble, if the intention was to claim Pelletier today and waive say ABB tomorrow?
Sorta, there are some rules after the roster lockdown for I think 24 hours or until the first game regarding the cap hit that needs to remain the same. So it gets a bit complicated.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sorta, there are some rules after the roster lockdown for I think 24 hours or until the first game regarding the cap hit that needs to remain the same. So it gets a bit complicated.
Yeah, maybe you sit Struble game one and go with Barron, or sit Roy and go with ABB, Pez, or Pelletier in the lineup. And then call back up Struble/Roy for game two, which is the second night of a back to back.

So it seems like of they want Pelletier they can get him. Having said all that, ABB is a player I always wanted to see breakthrough at the NHL level. Even though he's 27, I'm not convinced it's too late for him.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
No intangibles? Tells me you know nothing about the player.

Par for the course, really.

Tell me where he fits and how we could use him and how he is better than what we already have.

Guy haven't been able to crack the f***ing Calgary Flames at 23YO. I mean, his only intangible is being Quebecois at this point.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Roy or Heineman do not have to clear waivers, the choice is easy.

That said, they better not bring a 5'9" shrimp who's a copy cat of RHP, that makes 0 sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad