Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No youre right

Whats serious is getting Meier off of Jack's line and onto Nico's, Palat onto Jack's, and getting Pesce and Luke back

Devils got two wins versus Buffalo - they better clean up before we play real teams, and starting with the line changes we can make is the move

Keefe probably gives it until their first or second loss; since thats clearly what Fitz and co. were going for (the Tatar-Hischier-Mercer line).

Unless youre spreading out Jack Jesper and Timo across the third line, it wont work

The Devils just had what will be quite possibly their most dominant win of the entire season. I don't think there's any call to change the lines unless for some reason a person hitched their wagon to that concept the first week of preseason and now needs for it to happen to satisfy their ego.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The Devils just had what will be quite possibly their most dominant win of the entire season. I don't think there's any call to change the lines unless for some reason a person hitched their wagon to that concept the first week of preseason and now needs for it to happen to satisfy their ego.

The lines will change because Palat will be back.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
With Pesce still only 7.
Hamilton
Dillon
Siegenthaler
Casey
Nemec
Kovacevic
Pesce

Who did I miss?
Are you counting Luke? Not until November at least.

PuckPedia updated the season opening IR cap hit for Hatakka which is $161,458 (I believe this is calculated based on is NHL/AHL split last season).

It appears that we will submit a 13/8/2 man roster with Luke on it. That leaves us $639,645 under the cap and allows the team to start banking cap space. Putting Luke on IR to open the season doesn't really accomplish much as we don't have the cap space currently to fit another player without leveraging LTIR.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
He's right up there as one of the best for sure but only if other guys oblige him regarding "the code" which is complete neanderthal Pejorative Slured, outdated bullshit. MacDermid will do nothing to deter useless dirtbags who deliberately target players. It's cheap shot city out there but I'm sure he'll have a meaningless scrap after one of our guys is concussed.

Siegenthaler got his head elbowed into the fifth row by Rempe while MacDermid was on the ice. The refs corralled him while Rempe ran like a bitch. These are talentless, useless players who contribute absolutely nothing to the game while dumb f***s cheer this shit on. I'm old as hell and have seen it all in this league, this stuff kind of meant something, but those days are long gone and the sooner these shitheads as well the ones that run the DOPS are gone the better.

He'll get his 3-5 minutes of useless ice time every now and then, deter no one from running our guys, contribute absolutely nothing except being a cheerleader on the bench while occupying a roster spot but hey Jack gets to be double shifted.

eh i take a different approach with the guy when he came in last year he was the only player that seemed to care out there i'm totally fine trading for him and giving him the contract. i'm not saying hes going to be a prevent measure against goons against our guys but i think you see if the team slips loses focus he would be inserted to mix it up (not just fighting) bottom line he isn't going to be the reason we lose any games

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Should be psyduck

1728308898213.jpeg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The lines will change because Palat will be back.
The 'bottom two'...the funny thing is that we all roll our eyes at one poster dying on the hill of they MUST CHANGE THE NICO LINE NOW, but there's almost no scenario where he won't find a reason to crow about being 'right' in the end.

Either they eventually change - which they almost inevitably will for one reason or another - and he says see I told you they needed to change, or they never change and anything short of a Cup it's because we kept Jack with Bratt and Timo too long. It's actually a sneaky smart hill to die on in a sense although the point of most of us isn't that they should never change, it's that they will but they don't NEED to change in the next five minutes of October despite Veruca Salt-like protests that they must change now.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
eh i take a different approach with the guy when he came in last year he was the only player that seemed to care out there i'm totally fine trading for him and giving him the contract. i'm not saying hes going to be a prevent measure against goons against our guys but i think you see if the team slips loses focus he would be inserted to mix it up (not just fighting) bottom line he isn't going to be the reason we lose any games
The devils season tanked for good immediately after adding macdermid into the lineup

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
If we want to get negative then let’s talk about why Thursday’s game will be so difficult to win.

-Europe Hangover
-Leafs familiarity with Keefe systems
-The Leafs are really talented

If the Devils come out and look really good on Thursday, it’ll be tough for me to put any breaks on the optimism train.

In Europe the Devils frequently looked well connected, either building up a breakout or within the offensive zone cycling the puck…but I do worry some of that may be a Ruff Affect so it’ll be interesting how it looks against another opponent.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
If we want to get negative then let’s talk about why Thursday’s game will be so difficult to win.

-Europe Hangover
-Leafs familiarity with Keefe systems
-The Leafs are really talented

If the Devils come out and look really good on Thursday, it’ll be tough for me to put any breaks on the optimism train.

In Europe the Devils frequently looked well connected, either building up a breakout or within the offensive zone cycling the puck…but I do worry some of that may be a Ruff Affect so it’ll be interesting how it looks against another opponent.
I was thinking this and then I realized Toronto is playing in Montreal the night prior, so there could/should be some fatigue. If NJ can survive the first 5-10 mins, they should be ok.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I remember when we picked you who knew it would hold all these years later.

The bigger question is if ATL gets a team are we going to lose you? That’s the true test haha.
At this point I have a #1 and #2 team in most sports so I would definitely be sticking around

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Using 1 game to determine what a team is made of is something I have trouble understanding but I see it a lot in sports and I’ve seen it said here these last few days.

In our historic 2022-2023 season we lost to bad teams and we've beaten very good teams. We started the season 0-2 that year against some pretty weak teams and ended up having our beat season ever points wise.

Losing 1 game to the Leafs on Thursday tells practically nothing about this group moving forward.

Reactions: Triumph

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
has there ever been a time in nhl history where a team's first 3 games were against the team's old coach and/or against the coach's old team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad